Yen Or Triss?

+
To sum up:
Why didn't any of the other witchers tell Geralt about Yennefer? Well, seemed like none of them really liked her to be around, while were fine with Triss, more or less. Plus, they thought Yen could be dead, very likely. And on top of all, the Salamandra attack.

Why didn't Zoltan nor Dandelion tell Geralt about Yennefer? Less excuses here, but they also thought she might be dead, or couldn't give any clues where to look for her, which could make more harm to Geralt at his state.

Why didn't Triss tell Geralt about Yennefer? Reasons mentioned above (except that she didn't really have anything against Yen as a person, and thought of her as a friend, just was jealous about her being with Geralt), plus she wanted to give it a try to be with him herself. Ironically, this might have even helped Geralt to end up with Yen (if you choose him to choose so), had she not intervened. Geralt would most likely to go after Shiani, and away from anything that could have brought to the path of eventually finding Yennefer.

Triss needing time to fully embrace Geralt's love seems in line with what I would expect from her. I also agree it's a confidence problem on her side. But I don't see it as a trust issue in their relationship.

Agree with she needing some time to understant what is happening, but not with she hiding such an important information from him. When I make an analysis of all her behaviour through the three games I see that she never really trusted Geralt , nor his love. I don't see it as a ponctual case, is very recurrent in the whole trilogy. That's what keeps her from being 100% honest with him even after he says "I love you". She knows Geralt a lot and knows the huge weight of that word to him, so if he said that to her is because he really mean it. If he said that after he recovered his memory there is no reason to doubt his love anymore.

I don't think her primary motivation for helping them was securing a better position for herself or cuddling up to Tancred.

Neither do I, she did it because she was willing to help the mages, not for her own good. But she knows that she doesn't need to be court mage to help others exactly because of that situation, so she accepted the offer because she wants to get involved in politics, power/influence, high society and she wants a wealthy life style. She doesn't accept because she wants 100% to help others, she accepts for the sake of her desired life style.

but I think it's probably more than a month, six months passed since TW2 and when Geralt first meets her, she seems very in element with the lifestyle she leads, so I would guess it's been a few months at least. I could be wrong about this though, I don't remember if it was mentioned in game.

She spent most of those months in the flat, probably since she arrived in Novigrad. When Geralt gets to her flat all of her stuffs was still in there out in the open with just two guys trying to scavenge it. So that means that she just leaved the place (a day or two, at most) to escape from Menge and from being burned. About getting involved with Novigrad undergrounds it's not stated so my guess is as good as yours.

but I don't really think it is Triss' top priority to live like that even though she would naturally prefer it.

I disagree here, I think she really cares with not just luxury but also with politics and etc. This is basically all she is seeking in the three games. I see a need to be influent and respected in Triss, like most sorceress needs. I'm truly glad that Yen drops this whole thing to stay with Geralt.

There's still nothing wrong in that. Wealth, high society and politics comes naturally with her position.

I would not say "naturally" as this is mainly what she is looking for, in the books and games. It's not like happened suddenly, she always pursued influence and high society.

As I said already both Yen and Triss were written very well. They both have their agendas and they don't need Geralt to live their lives.

Yeah, both were really well written indeed. But one of the reasons why I chose one instead of other lies on what you've said after, Triss have her own agenda and is going on with her solo life while Yen depends on Geralt and Ciri. Yen did nothing besides be there for both of them since after the events of Lady of The Lake, that's why to me it seems deeply unfair with her just dump her like that. So yeah, Yen needs Geralt (and Ciri) living her life IMO. She have a relationship with him over more than twenty years, that's not easy to drop, even more when it's with her close friend (or ex friend).

By the way that's little of topic but I tend to roleplay heavily too

Why not, right? It makes the game even better. :p

Agree with she needing some time to understant what is happening, but not with she hiding such an important information from him. When I make an analysis of all her behaviour through the three games I see that she never really trusted Geralt , nor his love. I don't see it as a ponctual case, is very recurrent in the whole trilogy. That's what keeps her from being 100% honest with him even after he says "I love you". She knows Geralt a lot and knows the huge weight of that word to him, so if he said that to her is because he really mean it. If he said that after he recovered his memory there is no reason to doubt his love anymore.

I really don't belive that CDPR wanted to portray her like that. IMHO she's honest, but she's really afraid of losing Geralt. I think that she really can't wrap her head around that he choose her after recovering memory. And would you blame her? It's not like he even implied that he wants to be with her before amnesia.

Neither do I, she did it because she was willing to help the mages, not for her own good. But she knows that she doesn't need to be court mage to help others exactly because of that situation, so she accepted the offer because she wants to get involved in politics, power/influence, high society and she wants a wealthy life style. She doesn't accept because she wants 100% to help others, she accepts for the sake of her desired life style.

I would like to be wealthy too. Does that mean I'm bad person? She wants to achieve her dreams. Why exactly is so wrong with wanting wealth and being court mage? I'm 100% sure that it doesn't involve killing little puppies so I'm okay with that. Being court mage is nothing immoral per se. Let's drop game mechanics here. Who would make a money? Geralt? Witchers tend to not be wealthy. If she would like to have a lot of cash why she doesn't object when Geralt stays a Witcher?

Yeah, both were really well written indeed. But one of the reasons why I chose one instead of other lies on what you've said after, Triss have her own agenda and is going on with her solo life while Yen depends on Geralt and Ciri. Yen did nothing besides be there for both of them since after the events of Lady of The Lake, that's why to me it seems deeply unfair with her just dump her like that. So yeah, Yen needs Geralt (and Ciri) living her life IMO. She have a relationship with him over more than twenty years, that's not easy to drop, even more when it's with her close friend (or ex friend).

I must disagree with that. Yen is strong and independent person. While I agree that Geralt is big part of her life she takes care of herself really well without him. Besides he still can be in her life. They don't need to have a romantic relationship to help each other. With 20 years of history between them I'm sure that they'll stay very good friends.

Why not, right? It makes the game even better.

Currenty I'm looking for some mod that makes rain in Witcher 3 more immersive :p

I know you have a problem with Triss not mentioning Kovir immediately, but for me it's really a non issue. She is simply waiting for an opportune moment and as the fountain scene shows, she is very nervous about it. It is an issue of her lacking confidence and based on the previous experiences with Geralt romance wise, it is completely understandable to me. It is a huge thing for her and can potentially lead to her having to make a choice between the two things she cares about most, Geralt and her career.

That doesn't mean she doesn't trust Geralt and her needing time to fully embrace that Geralt finally chose her, with his memory back and without her using manipulative seduction tactics makes sense to me. During the Vegelbud's ball, when Ingrid ask her does she trust Geralt, Triss' response is "Like no one else", and I do believe Triss knows she can rely on him and trusts him fully. Other than the amnesia, her hiding things in the past is often related to the conflict of interests Geralt might have with her allies than her lack of trust in him.

She doesn't need to be in a position of power, but she can certainly do more for the mages if she is. Of course she is probably not doing it 100% to help others and is glad she will have some personal gain, that's perfectly fine. Wanting to secure a decent lifestyle for herself is perfectly acceptable to me.

However, when she accepts the offer from Tancred I don't think her priority is living a luxury life, but gaining more resources and pull so she can do much more for her fellow mages then she otherwise could. I don't deny she wants to be in the politics, but I just don't think wealth and luxury are among her top priorities for doing so, even though she probably likes that lifestyle. Accepting to become the leader of the most influential mage organization makes perfect sense for Triss as it gives her the best opportunity she can have to actually make a difference and fulfill her ideals.

She spent most of those months in the flat, probably since she arrived in Novigrad. When Geralt gets to her flat all of her stuffs was still in there out in the open with just two guys trying to scavenge it. So that means that she just leaved the place (a day or two, at most) to escape from Menge and from being burned. About getting involved with Novigrad undergrounds it's not stated so my guess is as good as yours.
Based on her dialogue when she and Geralt first meet, I'm guessing it was more then a day or two, I would say at least a month or two. She implies she has been working shitty jobs to collect money for quite some time, and I think the loss of her house happened together with the loss of her personal resources. And she seems accustomed to her lifestyle, if it has only been a day or two it wouldn't make sense that she was so reconciled with it. But again, it's not explicitly stated so I guess its open to interpretation.

Last edited:
If triss was really power hungry, wouldn't she go after one of the 'bigger' kingdoms, like Philippa was planning on doing? My take on her political ambitions, especailly after her dialogue in B/W, was that the position afforded her the ability to continue to help her fellow mages and keep her dignity (and make a living). She's happy with politics being 'boring', she's just trying to make the world a better place. She is the direct contrast of Philippa, who was scheming to dispose of Yenn with Emyr for the sole reason to gaining political power for herself at the expense of others.

I've played both endings, and the Triss one to me feels more realistic. The B/W dialogue with Yenn turned me off her a bit. If she will not even adapt her wardrobe to the heat (and make Geralt her lap dog, making him bring her cold drinks all the time), how would she ever adapt to the quiet retirement life?

Both are well written though. And I'm amazed at the details the devs put into not only the character development, but the animation to show different emotions im many of the scenes.

Currenty I'm looking for some mod that makes rain in Witcher 3 more immersive

There you go mister: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/937/?

I tried this one once, looks good. I'm so happy that I put darker nights to work with my other mods, now that there's the final version of the game I hope the comunity update all the mods and make them work with each other.

I really don't belive that CDPR wanted to portray her like that.

And would you blame her? It's not like he even implied that he wants to be with her before amnesia.

That depends on how you interpret the game and characters, I see as that. A lot changed after the amnesia, specially if you chose to have a romance with her in the three games.

I would like to be wealthy too. Does that mean I'm bad person?

I never said that is wrong, I'm just stating that this is really important to her. To me if you have a option to deny her proposal of living in Kovir would brake her heart in half, at least. Dunno if she would drop it for Geralt, while in paralel Yen is up to give up of Nilfgaard (which is a lot more influent and powerful than Kovir) just to stay with him in a simple life.

Who would make a money? Geralt? Witchers tend to not be wealthy. If she would like to have a lot of cash why she doesn't object when Geralt stays a Witcher?

She doens't object because it's all set to her become court mage,she got the house and accepted the offer even before mention to him... it's not like Geralt even has the opportunity to puts that in check. I honestly can't picture Triss living a simple life away from high society and the world just to live with Geralt for much time.

I must disagree with that. Yen is strong and independent person.

I agree with that untill half of the books, after that I see her as very emotionally dependent of Geralt and Ciri, as one thing (family). W3 exemplifies that, while Triss is going with her own agenda Yen is all about Ciri and Geralt, since after LoTL. All she pictures for her future is Geralt and a simple place. No Kovir, politics or whatever.

They don't need to have a romantic relationship to help each other. With 20 years of history between them I'm sure that they'll stay very good friends.

I don't think they would live in the same street, not even in the same country honestly. He'll go to Kovir with Triss (I don't think that Yen likes Triss at this point, as she finally stole her love), next to politics. Yen wants to go to the blue mountains or anywhere very far from politics and high society. And Ciri, the only one who could bring them together eventually is a grown witcher in the path. She will venture through the whole world. So, yeah. I see Yen ending up alone after all she did for them, that is honestly a great injustice, in my opinion. Triss is young and has been with Geralt for 2 years, she'll keep going with her life, like she was already, a lot easier than Yen.

I know you have a problem with Triss not mentioning Kovir immediately, but for me it's really a non issue.

I know that it seems that I think it was a huge mistake, which I don't think it was. At least no more than hiding Yen and Triss in his amnesic state. But yeah, it bothered me that he needed to insist to obtain the truth.

During the Vegelbud's ball, when Ingrid ask her does she trust Geralt, Triss' response is "Like no one else"

Lets just say that sorceresses are no parameter in the field of trust hehe. That's something that I can't believe, I don't think she trully trusts Geralt, otherwise why she would hide such information from him. She was waiting the right opportunity? Well, their romantic scene was perfect. If she just knew after, there was KM, after the battle. It was just like when you was a kid and did something wrong in school and you don't want to tell your parents cause you're afraid of be punished or something, so you just hide it from them untill the situation is untenable. Then you say "I was waiting the right opportunity".

I would say at least a month or two.

Impossible imo. How her objects would be there out in the open, in such a poor city filled with thiefs and criminals? She lived there untill some days before Geralt gets there, she was probably dealing with the shitty jobs already but was living quite comfortably. But I really felt bad for her situation overall, she was one of the reasons why I had to kill Radovid and developed such hate for the witch hunters.

Last edited:
If triss was really power hungry, wouldn't she go after one of the 'bigger' kingdoms, like Philippa was planning on doing? My take on her political ambitions, especailly after her dialogue in B/W, was that the position afforded her the ability to continue to help her fellow mages and keep her dignity (and make a living). She's happy with politics being 'boring', she's just trying to make the world a better place. She is the direct contrast of Philippa, who was scheming to dispose of Yenn with Emyr for the sole reason to gaining political power for herself at the expense of others.

I've played both endings, and the Triss one to me feels more realistic. The B/W dialogue with Yenn turned me off her a bit. If she will not even adapt her wardrobe to the heat (and make Geralt her lap dog, making him bring her cold drinks all the time), how would she ever adapt to the quiet retirement life?

Both are well written though. And I'm amazed at the details the devs put into not only the character development, but the animation to show different emotions im many of the scenes.

I feel the same way. Although I didn't play the game and picked Yen, I did watch it all on youtube instead. I told myself I was going to pick her next time but I just couldn't get myself to do it when the time came. I just like Triss's character and growth from the books till now. Loading one of my saves before the battle of kaer morhen, pretty much everyone there at something negative to say about Yen.

With that said, off topic but I am building a PC and will finally play The Witches 3 with real graphics.

Last edited:
I've played both endings, and the Triss one to me feels more realistic.

The ending and talking about Kovir seems to me personally very weird. Geralt is getting a new estate in a beautiful place, want to have some peace and all Triss is talking about is how Kovir is boring...so he will move to the cold Kovir to do what exactly? It doesn't make sense to me at all...

The B/W dialogue with Yenn turned me off her a bit. If she will not even adapt her wardrobe to the heat (and make Geralt her lap dog, making him bring her cold drinks all the time), how would she ever adapt to the quiet retirement life?

Geralt is completely fine to bring her whatever she wants...at the end he loves her.

When you check her room after few days there is a white-pea green dress :)

Last edited:
There you go mister: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/937/?

I tried this one once, looks good. I'm so happy that I put darker nights to work with my other mods, now that there's the final version of the game I hope the comunity update all the mods and make them work with each other.

Thanks for sharing. It looks really good :)

That depends on how you interpret the game and characters, I see as that. A lot changed after the amnesia, specially if you chose to have a romance with her in the three games.

I can't say anything bad about it because it aplies to all characters. I agree.

while in paralel Yen is up to give up of Nilfgaard

She never wanted this in the fist place. She accepts only to find Ciri. Other that that, I don't think that she likes Emhyr very much.

She doens't object because it's all set to her become court mage,she got the house and accepted the offer even before mention to him... it's not like Geralt even has the opportunity to puts that in check. I honestly can't picture Triss living a simple life away from high society and the world just to live with Geralt for much time.

As I said I really don't see anything wrong with it. What is so bad in it? It's just likes saying that Triss is eeeeeevil beacuse she likes flowers. If you have a higher education and can get good job you don't apply for janitor position.

I don't think they would live in the same street, not even in the same country honestly. He'll go to Kovir with Triss (I don't think that Yen likes Triss at this point, as she finally stole her love), next to politics. Yen wants to go to the blue mountains or anywhere very far from politics and high society. And Ciri, the only one who could bring them together eventually is a grown witcher in the path. She will venture through the whole world. So, yeah. I see Yen ending up alone after all she did for them, that is honestly a great injustice, in my opinion. Triss is young and has been with Geralt for 2 years, she'll keep going with her life, like she was already, a lot easier than Yen.

I would like to say that she could teleport anytime to Kovir if she wanted to talk, but both books and games never explain where it's okay to use magic and when it doesn't work so... She's not weak willed. I didn't hear that she started drinking when she wasn't in good terms with Geralt in books and she didn't break when Geralt was with Triss durning amnesia. She's stronger than that.

@Gilthoniel thank you for sharing. I don't have a free time to play like I used to long time ago so before I even play BaW it'll be a few months.

Last edited:
make Geralt her lap dog, making him bring her cold drinks all the time), how would she ever adapt to the quiet retirement life?

She's stronger than that.

Yes she is, but she's also extremely proud. I don't see her being on friendly terms with Geralt and Triss, coming by to drink a wine and chat once in a while, if G chose T

Last edited:
Yes she is, but she's also extremely proud. I don't see her being on friendly terms with Geralt and Triss, coming by to drink a wine and chat once in a while, if G chose T

Yeah. Like..it would never happen. And I can't blame her.

---------- Updated at 11:04 AM ----------

You mean they wont be holding hands and stare at the sky? :cry:

No, because that would be too much of a "shitty two-crown romance" :p

Question I have about this thread: shouldn't it be called "Yen, Triss or neither"? As that option of choosing none of them is also there. Not to mention it's not really "forever alone" path. You still get decent endings, you get Ciri visit in BnW (and her staying if she's not an empress), even though they are not, and hopefully never will be romantically involved.. And you can go more freely sleeping around with different women. :D Besides, as Geralt had said, that if he had to choose between two evils, he'd rather not choose at all, and here's rather the opposite situation, choosing between two goods (honestly, both have more pros, than cons after all).

PS: as I havent actually yet announced my preference here (despite the thread actually requesting that), I believe the right choice as Geralt would be Yen (due to history and such), while I myself (not role-playing as Geralt) would probably choose Triss.. Or neither.
Also, for the lore, if Geralt doesn't choose either and ends up with Ciri living in his home, there would be a "neutral" reason for both, Triss and Yen to visit and.. Perhaps get a fresh start (as relationships with either of them were kinda.. messy and entangled).

Lets just say that sorceresses are no parameter in the field of trust hehe. That's something that I can't believe, I don't think she trully trusts Geralt, otherwise why she would hide such information from him. She was waiting the right opportunity? Well, their romantic scene was perfect. If she just knew after, there was KM, after the battle. It was just like when you was a kid and did something wrong in school and you don't want to tell your parents cause you're afraid of be punished or something, so you just hide it from them untill the situation is untenable. Then you say "I was waiting the right opportunity".
Yeah, but I do think she was being honest there. As far as the opportune moment is concerned I don't think her immediately wanting to mention a house in Kovir and insist on them moving there together is the best just a few hours after he declared love(if we assume she already got the offer from Tancred at that point, to me it makes sense she did considering she was on her way to Kovir, but the offer could have come later). Triss does ask him how he sees their future and probes Geralt a bit about how serious he is regarding their life together.

During the preparation for the KM battle and immediately after is not really a time for something like that imo. Their efforts are focused on Ciri and more important matters, and Vesemir's funeral also doesn't seem like the best time for it. Their next meeting comes in Novigrad, Ciri is safe for the time and with them and they are slowly preparing their next move. The fountain scene and its timing made sense to me when it comes to Geralt and Triss talking about their further plans and I do like the scene a lot.

Impossible imo. How her objects would be there out in the open, in such a poor city filled with thiefs and criminals? She lived there untill some days before Geralt gets there, she was probably dealing with the shitty jobs already but was living quite comfortably. But I really felt bad for her situation overall, she was one of the reasons why I had to kill Radovid and developed such hate for the witch hunters.
Well, her house is pretty ransacked and clothes probably weren't a priority for the thieves. There is also the issue with Menge, when Geralt caught those two thieves in her house, Menge ordered them arrested. I assume the seized property belongs to the church and considering their position, the influence they have in the city, as well as their methods of dealing with people who go against them, it makes sense thieves would be scared and discouraged to steal from them. Also I don't think she lived in her luxurious house and scraped for money by killing rats, I think the loss of her house came together with the loss of her personal resources. It jsut makes more sense to me.

The ending and talking about Kovir seems to me personally very weird. Geralt is getting a new estate in a beautiful place, want to have some peace and all Triss is talking about is how Kovir is boring...so he will move to the cold Kovir to do what exactly? It doesn't make sense to me at all...
Well, they did make a deal to go to Kovir prior to the events of B&W. Geralt agreed to that and just because he got a vineyard in the mean time doesn't mean he has to change his mind. To do what? Well, to enjoy his quiet retirement with the woman he chose, only in a more snowy environment. The vineyard is still there for them to use for romantic getaways.

But honestly speaking, the ending Geralt and Triss get is closer to the way Triss probably imagined her perfect life, then it is to the way Geralt did. Triss gets her dream job, a man she fantasized about for years and a lifestyle she enjoys, while Geralt has to make some concessions. With Yennefer, it's pretty much aligned between her and Geralt when it comes to the way they envisioned it. But I do feel that Geralt gets the core of what he wanted in both endings, a peaceful retirement.

When you check her room after few days there is a white-pea green dress
Triss brings some ugly pink dress instead. Adding the unicorn to their room was was a nice touch though.

Last edited:

While I agree that she maybe wouldn't stay in friendly terms with Triss i won't say that she can't be friends with Geralt. After all, sooner of later someone is ought to get amnesia. Seriously though until game won't tell us what happens I'm open to all interpretations. And no I'm not treating comics as canon. Just no. (to games, not books of course)

Top Bottom