Yen Or Triss?

+
You could call it a moment of weakness. It was posted many times before but you must admit that she was sure that Geralt and Yen are together again

Triss is trully great and loyal friend to Yen :laughing:

Triss is slightly different than the other sorceress in this regard anyway, just take this description from The Sword of Destiny "Triss Merigold, chestnut hair, cheerful, ready to burst into laughter for no reason at all, like a child. He liked her. It had been mutual."

But also we remember this quote from Blood of Elves:

Triss had watched them both and was jealous even though it seemed there was little to be jealous of. Their relationship quite obviously made them both unhappy, had led straight to destruction, pain and yet, against all logic . . . it had lasted. Triss couldn’t understand it. And it had fascinated her. It had fascinated her to such an extent that . . . . . . she had seduced the witcher – with the help of a little magic.

So if she was capable to seduce him to check why her friend love this witcher...she surely can even act drunk to take the situation and be closer again with him... just re-read the Blood of Elves chapter and see how desperately she wanted Geralt back...is she different in the game? I'm not sure.

She's no different in the game as a person, but she is in a place where she has regret and knows it's over.

I mean, I'm a yen supporter, but I still kiss her. And after the kiss, she herself says it was a mistake and feelings of days gone by (or something along those lines). So if even after a kiss from The Geralt she still says that... then it's clearly obvious that for her, it's over as well. She does not want to continue this. It's not until - completely unprovoked - geralt says that she loves her just before she leaves, that she actually listens.

So in my interpretation of the telling, it is long over between triss and geralt.

Triss is trully great and loyal friend to Yen

Can't disagree here :p She's not the best friend material. It's quite refreshing actually after so many RPG's. She does questionable things, still I wouldn't call her evil.

One thing: at least she's not happy if you kissed her. She blames herself. But what's done is done.

She does not want to continue this. It's not until - completely unprovoked - geralt says that she loves her just before she leaves, that she actually listens.

It actually makes sense. If their relationship broke even after she had her chance she pretty much belives that nothing more can be done. Obviously she's not happy with this, but she says it herself: they had their chance and they let it go.

---------- Updated at 08:00 AM ----------

still kiss her

If I don't romance her I just can't. Same with unicorn scene if I don't try to romance Yen. I would feel so much guilt after that :p

I see it as a kiss goodbye. Closure.

I'm not saying that is something wrong. You are just stronger than me :p In W2 i had only one scene with Triss for instance. I know it's not like there are consequences for more sex scenes, but still it wouldn't be okay for me of course.

So if she was capable to seduce him to check why her friend love this witcher...she surely can even act drunk to take the situation and be closer again with him... just re-read the Blood of Elves chapter and see how desperately she wanted Geralt back...is she different in the game? I'm not sure.
Oh I know how desperate she was in BoE, and I think the way she feels about Geralt after she sees him again in Novigrad is very close to that. I also know that Triss is not above using shady seduction tactics, but in this case I though her actions weren't planned and came naturally. Triss' behavior toward Geralt in TW3 indicates she doesn't think it can work out between them now that Yen is back in the picture, so she tries to be as reserved as possible. She is not over Geralt at all imo, but based on the past experiences with him and knowing how he always goes back to Yen, she is just trying to spare herself further pain and humiliation.

When it comes to the party, I think Triss knew exactly what she was doing when she got him to chase her or the way she acted around the fountain. I see alcohol as one of the reasons(but only one of them, as I said in my previous post) for her opening up and allowing herself to try something with him, but I don't believe that her actions were planned though. If Triss wanted to seduce Geralt again, she would have acted differently prior to the party and not so reserved and trying to hide her feelings. And it doesn't make sense her master plan for getting Geralt back would be to pretend to be drunk and jump on him, it's not like Geralt has a drunk girl fetish or something. It just seems like a poor plan to me and honestly makes very little sense at this stage of their relationship. It would make more sense if she wanted to actually get drunk to gather courage to make a move on him and even that is unlikely, but pretending to be drunk...I just don't see it. I feel like the general mood of the evening spontaneously lead to Triss relaxing, dropping her guard and eventually making a move. I don't think she came to the party with a clear goal of seducing Geralt, but one thing led to another and it just happened.

When you are romancing Triss, from Geralt's perspective that quest is the one where you finally get to make a move on Triss. In their previous conversations Geralt can imply several times that he still has feelings for her, but Triss quickly brushes it off and changes the subject(warehouse scene, conversation with Dijkstra, complimenting her 22 inch waist, talk before the torture scene). Geralt is the one who initiates the kiss, so one can even say that Geralt was the real predator that evening and that he waited for Triss to get drunk and used the moment of her vulnerability to finally make his move even though she showed that she wants to move on with her life.

But, I'm not trying to find some ulterior motives in either of them. I love that quest, it's probably my favorite one with Triss, and I enjoy both hers and Geralt lines. I see it as a lovely evening for both, a breaking point and reawakening of their romance and I mostly see Triss' behavior that evening as charming.

Last edited:
I love that quest, it's probably my favorite one with Triss, and I enjoy both hers and Geralt lines. I see it as a lovely evening for both, a breaking point and reawakening of their romance and I mostly see Triss' behavior that evening as charming.

I understand but not all seeing this quest in the same way like you do. For me it really was an awkward situation, probably it is different view on that character but my personal reaction was more like this:
https://youtu.be/exGf-w2ROPI?t=30m5s

she herself says it was a mistake and feelings of days gone by

After a long time I finally had a chance to do both "Matter of life and death" and "Now or never" today and I can't quite agree with you here. While I respect your opinion I think that her feelings are strong as ever. Being able to move and pretending to move on in order to spare yourself the pain of rejection is another thing. Imo, that's the case with Triss. So it makes sense that she doesn't throw herself at Geralt. She pretends, she hides her feelings because she doesn't want to suffer more that she suffers now. If you let her be tourtured and later ask about it she becomes even a little hostile. When Geralt shows genuine concern about her she often change topic, or pretends that his words didn't make any impression on her. That is not moving on. Besides if she really wanted to do this, this time Geralt would be rejected. Maybe I'm too biased and I see to much. but if it comes to her seduction at the party, for me what she says at the beggining of the bench talk sums her sudden behaviour perfectly: "Relived to get that mask off. If only for a little" While we shouln't look for some greater symbolism here, for me her words describe what is haappening durning that scene.

I understand but not all seeing this quest in the same way like you do. For me it really was an awkward situation, probably it is different view on that character but my personal reaction was more like this:
https://youtu.be/exGf-w2ROPI?t=30m5s
I get that and I have no issue with it, I'm not trying to present my point of view as the only right one. The interpretation can vary based on the chosen outcome and there are multiple valid interpretations for each quest imo. It can be equally seen as Triss' last desperate attempt as it can be seen as the reawakening of her romance with Geralt. Everyone can interpret the events of that evening as they see fit and how it suits the way they play Geralt. Same way the Last Wish quest can be interpreted quite differently depending on who is romanced and what Geralt decides to say.

Same way the Last Wish quest can be interpreted quite differently depending on who is romanced and what Geralt decides to say.

Well of course...the "magic is gone" line...true masterpiece of writing here. If that's all you can say to a woman you loved for so long...(compare the Triss breaking up line) then ok :) We can interpret it that it was all fake and amnesia finally opened Geralt's eyes. Except...it doesn't make sense at all. :p

you can still feel disappointed and act serious when you are drunk and it's not like she is wasted, she is just slightly buzzed.

That's why said "drunk"

It's not like she was drunk enough to act like that. She was driven by the atmosphere and the opportunity. Even feeling guilty for what she did in the past she has a moment of weakness, the way she acts afterwards shows that she regreted and shouldn't have done that, because she doesn't want to get hurt again and because of what she did to Yen (at least I hope so).

---------- Updated at 04:18 PM ----------

If Triss wanted to seduce Geralt again, she would have acted differently prior to the party and not so reserved and trying to hide her feelings.

That doesn't make sense. They were there working, the logical thing to do would be wait for the right opportunity and make it look as natural as possible.

Attachments

• doctor-evil-quote.jpg
    doctor-evil-quote.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 36
Well of course...the "magic is gone" line...true masterpiece of writing here. If that's all you can say to a woman you loved for so long...(compare the Triss breaking up line) then ok We can interpret it that it was all fake and amnesia finally opened Geralt's eyes. Except...it doesn't make sense at all.
Yeah, I don't like the break up line myself. It's too blunt and I think it's unfair to dismiss all Geralt and Yen had as consequence of a Djinn spell. I don't know what's worse, doing that or just ignoring Yen and not doing the quest at all after she clearly told him that it's important for her.

It's not like she was drunk enough to act like that. She was driven by the atmosphere and the opportunity. Even feeling guilty for what she did in the past she has a moment of weakness, the way she acts afterwards shows that she regreted and shouldn't have done that, because she doesn't want to get hurt again and because of what she did to Yen (at least I hope so).
I can somewhat agree with this, but the definition of drunkenness can vary, she was certainly influenced by alcohol to a point, even though it wasn't the only deciding factor. But to add to the regret part, she only regrets because she still thinks Geralt will leave her, not because she doesn't want to be with him. I'm not sure how that scene looks like if you haven't kissed her, but in the stables later when she starts talking about it and Geralt tells her not to apologize, her face lights up.

That doesn't makes sense. They were there working, the logical thing to do would be wait for the right opportunity and make it look as natural as possible.
The thing is, based on player choice Geralt can already act flirty and make compliments to her as I've listed before and she is the one who shuts them down and changes the topic. I see it as her trying to avoid getting involved with him again thinking it can't work out. Geralt convincing her it can is one of the aspects of their romance I personally like a lot. Later in the romance, when Geralt asks her how she felt when she saw him again, she said "Oh no, not him again". I think Triss really tried to move on from Geralt and wasn't just praying for the perfect opportunity to strike and reclaim Geralt. Like I said before, the events at the ball felt completely spontaneous and natural to me, but you are of course free to see it differently.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense. They were there working, the logical thing to do would be wait for the right opportunity and make it look as natural as possible.

Then why she doesn't move things further? After Geralt chooses to kiss her it would be a perfect opportunity to say to him that she still loves him, not feeling regret about it.

she only regrets because she still thinks Geralt will leave her,
but in the stables later when she starts talking about it and Geralt tells her not to apologize, her face lights up

So you think she's just worried with her own feelings? You don't believe she regrets for what she have done to Yen (and Geralt)?

I really hope she regrets what she did to her, after all she was a terrible friend. Triss had the opportunity to talk with Yen and try to apologize or explain herself, but she doesn't say a word and she basically treats Yen is a very formal and cold way. I don't need to say why Triss is the one who should take the initiative in this situation, mainly if you chose her instead Yen.

The thing is, based on player choice Geralt can already act flirty and make compliments to her

I always liked them but I see as Geralt's sense of humor established in the games, he does it with pretty much any women he has more intimacy (Yen, Triss, Shani, Phillipa, etc), and I always feel that Triss absorbs them more like jokes and his sense of humor. So it's not like he necessarily means something with them, you can be naughty with Yen or Triss and still refuse them.

I think Triss really tried to move on from Geralt and wasn't just praying for the perfect opportunity to strike and reclaim Geralt.

She was afraid actually, of recover her feelings for him again and mostly now that Yen is back in the picture. But deep down there she was waiting for the right opportunity because she still loves him, the ball gave it to her and she took it. But she knows it is wrong cause the way she acts right after.

Then why she doesn't move things further? After Geralt chooses to kiss her it would be a perfect opportunity to say to him that she still loves him, not feeling regret about it.

Because she doesn't know how he's going to swallow it, specially now that Yen is back in his life. She is afraid of getting hurt again, and, possibly, she knows she's being a terrible friend to Yen.

So you think she's just worried with her own feelings? You don't believe she regrets for what she have done to Yen (and Geralt)?

I really hope she regrets what she did to her, after all she was a terrible friend. Triss had the opportunity to talk with Yen and try to apologize or explain herself, but she doesn't say a word and she basically treats Yen is a very formal and cold way. I don't need to say why Triss is the one who should take the initiative in this situation, mainly if you chose her instead Yen.
Primarily, yes. Whether she regrets it or not...it's hard to tell. She may realize what she did can be considered wrong, but I think she would do it all over again if she had the chance. The few conversations between Triss and Yen we see in game are straight to business kind of situations, but they have been able to work together despite their differences in the past. We can only speculate what their personal realtionship is. We don't know how long they've been together at KM before Geralt arrived with Ciri, they also travel to Novigrad together after the battle of KM(whether they can teleport directly or is KM too far, I don't know), but they certainly had time to talk about things.

In the case of Geralt going with Triss, I see no future for their friendship, in that case it can be said that Triss sacrificed her friendhip with Yen for Geralt. Yen is back and Triss has no problem accepting Geralt's advances and continuing their romance. I see it as her valuing the relationship with Geralt more than her friendship with Yen.

In the case of Geralt ending up with Yen, who knows? Depends on how forgiving Yen feels, we know she likes Triss, but we also know she doesn't look kindly to her medling with Geralt, so maybe, I don't know.

As far as Geralt goes, I don't really think Triss has anything to apologize for. I don't see Geralt as a victim, but we've discussed this before already and we don't agree so best to leave it there :)

I always liked them but I see as Geralt's sense of humor established in the games, he does it with pretty much any women he has more intimacy (Yen, Triss, Shani, Phillipa, etc), and I always feel that Triss absorbs them more like jokes and his sense of humor. So it's not like he necessarily means something with them, you can be naughty with Yen or Triss and still refuse them.
I can partially agree, and that would be the case for the handcuffs joke, or the 22 inch waist one, but in the conversation with Dijkstra Geralt can specifically imply that he still has feelings for Triss.

She was afraid actually, of recover her feelings for him again and mostly now that Yen is back in the picture. But deep down there she was waiting for the right opportunity because she still loves him, the ball gave it to her and she took it. But she knows it is wrong cause the way she acts right after.
Could be except I don't think she waited for the opportunity, but when it arose, she took it.

Not all women he treats like that. Most importantly it's up to player in most cases. It's like with the sex scenes. I saw only one, or two depending who I romance. So it's not like you have to flirt with all women Geralt meets. You don't have to by flirty with Shani either. And I definitly never saw that Geralt was flirtatious with Philippa. So basically it depends on how do you want to shape Geralt. Trough W 1,2 and 3 I never even tried to cheat, and if dialogue options allowed me a different response rather than flirtatius one I always choose differenly if it wasn't Triss, or Yen.

I don't need to say why Triss is the one who should take the initiative in this situation, mainly if you chose her instead Yen.

I still belive that it happened off-screen. After battle at Kaer Morhen Yen and Triss go to Novigrad. Geralt and Ciri arrive two weeks later. While we don't have any proof that they had serious talk it's hard for me to belive that Yen wouldn't seize the opportunity when they were alone for a few days.

she was waiting for the right opportunity

I personally strongly disagree with this. Don't forget that she saw genocide every day. For me it's hard to belive that she was scheming master plan to seduce Geralt in that situation. Both Yen and Triss are more than a romance options and their lives doesn't revolve around Geralt. While I don't necessary belive that her behaviour was spontaneous durnig bench talk and fountain she didn't plan it. She was with the man she loved and she was carried away.

For me it's hard to belive that she was scheming master plan to seduce Geralt in that situation

lol You don't really undersant what I say when I give my opinion about Triss. I never said she has a master plan and that she is waisting her time thinking on how she is gonna take Geralt from Yen... Thre is a slight but important difference there.

Not all women he treats like that.

Also didn't said he treats every women like that.

Most importantly it's up to player in most cases.

Some of them are not so it is inputed in his writting (character). And even those who are optional we are assuming you chose to flirt with her. Some of them optional or not, it is his personality and his sense of humor, otherwise I played another game.

And I definitly never saw that Geralt was flirtatious with Philippa.

Geralt to Phil: "Yeah, so if you're angling to make it a fivesome, there is clearly no room."

It's the exactly same conotation about the handcuffs and etc.

I still belive that it happened off-screen

Just speculation, imo I don't believe that CDPR would let this out of the game. It is really important when it comes to make your romantic choice.

Both Yen and Triss are more than a romance options and their lives doesn't revolve around Geralt.

We are strictly talking about the romantic arch here, so it's basically just Geralt. Taking to the a bigger specter it's obvious that they are a lot more.

The few conversations between Triss and Yen we see in game are straight to business kind of situations, but they have been able to work together despite their differences in the past.

That shows how they care about Ciri and have more important matters to think about other than Geralt and their own self. But I'm based on what is shown unless it is stated on screen that something happened off-screen, so I don't believe they talked and I don't think that Triss wanted in the first place. Yen perhaps, but as the game almost exclusively shows her motherly wild side she doesn't have the time and energy to confront her. Besides if Triss have at least respect for Yen she should be the one approaching her.

In the case of Geralt going with Triss, I see no future for their friendship, in that case it can be said that Triss sacrificed her friendhip with Yen for Geralt. Yen is back and Triss has no problem accepting Geralt's advances and continuing their romance. I see it as her valuing the relationship with Geralt more than her friendship with Yen.

I think the same, that's why I don't see Yen teleporting to Kovir to dine and talk about politics with them. It's a matter of choice, Triss can still say no to Geralt and leave him to Yen, like we think she does when even after Geralt open his heart she takes the ship. But she prefer his love over hers, she abdicates her friendship and I don't think that Yen would be condescending with that in any circumstance, shape or form. To be honest.

but in the conversation with Dijkstra Geralt can specifically imply that he still has feelings for Triss.

Sure, that was a different context. He really mean it there, specially after he says I love you. We know what that word means to him and how hard was say that to Yen, or any woman.

Last edited:
deep down there she was waiting for the right opportunity

So explain that line. Because for me it sounds like she was planning this. And I never saw that she was waiting for the right opprtunity. She had few, excluding party and she didn't do a thing. And if I'm wrong you could say that in friendly manner. For me your line didn't sound like that, and we don't have to argue, don't we? It does not benefit anyone.

Geralt to Phil: "Yeah, so if you're angling to make it a fivesome, there is clearly no room."

It's the exactly same conotation about the handcuffs and etc.

That wasn't even in friendly manner. There is a difference between sarcasm and flirt.

We are strictly talking about the romantic arch here, so it's basically just Geralt. Taking to the a bigger specter it's obvious that they are a lot more.

If you want to be that precise the question of topic was who Geralt should choose. And we are talking about more than that, don't you think?

That shows how they care about Ciri and have more important matters to think about other than Geralt and their own self. But I'm based on what is shown unless it is stated on screen that something happened off-screen, so I don't believe they talked and I don't think that Triss wanted in the first place. Yen perhaps, but as the game almost exclusively shows her motherly wild side she doesn't have the time and energy to confront her. Besides if Triss have at least respect for Yen she should be the one approaching her.
I can agree and there isn't really a situation that is shown in game where them having a catfight would make sense. Both are mature enough to leave their differences aside and focus on more pressing issues. However even when something is not explicetly stated one can still make logical assumptions based on the situation. For example, we don't see people coming to KM, they are already there when Geralt and Ciri arrive, but it is safe to assume they've probably spend some time there together before Geralt showed up, so some communication happening between Triss and Yen during that time makes sense, I don't see them avoiding each other awkwardly, especially not Yen. Another example, Triss and Yen go to Novigrad to look for the Lodge members together, so even if it's not shown in game, it makes sense they had time to talk considering they need to work together, at least to some degree. But it's basically speculation and we can only guess what would be the topic of their conversations.

Sure, that was a different context. He really mean it there, specially after he says I love you. We know what that word means to him and how hard was say that to Yen, or any woman.
I don't think we refer to the same Dijkstra conversation, I mean the one during the treasure hunt, when Dijkstra says how he hired a witcher a a sorceress that have been through so much together and how lovers will jump into abyss for one another. Geralt can either say that he and Triss are in the past, or acknowledge what Dijkstra said.

You get the feeling that she's just not into Geralt as much as he is into her (game, not book). With Triss, its the complete opposite. I wish they had a scene or two where Yen actually 'fights' for Geralt, whether confronting triss, or some dialogue with Geralt to make it clear where she stands (like the books).

I agree - playing TW3 first I didn't realise how much Yennefer loved Geralt, whereas in the books (which I read afterwards) it is made clear in a brilliant, unsentimental way that paints her as a different person.

Top Bottom