Yen Or Triss?

+
So explain that line

"Deep down there" = deep down inside her, assuming she still loves Geralt, she wants an opportunity to fall in his arms. Just like she does when she lures him to the fountain, like I said that doesn't seem a spontaneous "drunk" behaviour. It's not a thought that is really present on her mind, is a deeper and more irracional one. When you love someone but you know you can't have the person you will try to get over it, and act so, to not get hurt. But at the same time you have an irrational and low profile wish that life will make something happen to give you the opportunity to have this person. Like a dream, for an example. When you like someone but your chances are low, even so you dream with her in a world that things worked to make you stay together.

That's more or less what I meat, hope you understand now.

She had few, excluding party and she didn't do a thing

Mention one good situation as good as the ball. That was the perfect one, plus it was the first situation she got driven by the whole atmosphere.

we don't have to argue, don't we? It does not benefit anyone.

That's up to you, don't know where that question came from to be honest. I just sent you a lot of my favourite mods, that was in a very friendly way.

I just said that you keep doing wrong assumptions of what I said, like "Not all women he treats like that." and I also never said she's scheming and plained everything to have Geralt back...

That wasn't even in friendly manner. There is a difference between sarcasm and flirt.

He was being serious about handcuffing Triss in the middle of the square? Also don't see much difference between her waist comment. He would perfectly say that to Phil or Shani. I could mention a lot of other examples with Yen and other women he has intimacy that he jokes with on a naughty way. Most of them has the same conotation and it's part of his sense of humor, imo. He has that kind of sarcasm all the time.

Philippa: "Triss plays the big sister to Ciri, but eagerly awaits a chance to hop in bed with you. You and Yennefer play the parents..."

Geralt: "Yeah, so if you're angling to make it a fivesome, there's clearly no room."

Now, I gave you the context. It's a very sugestional one, to not say sexual. You can easily intepret as a flirting or a compliment there, just like the handcuffs, waist and etc.

Maybe this can exemplifies a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhbpWnvC6QM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kOWeQubasA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YciuKvCP4v0

If you want to be that precise the question of topic was who Geralt should choose.

If we are talking about his romantic arch it is on topic... That comment I quoted just takes the discussion to nowhere, if we are talking about the romances it is basically Geralt to Yen and Triss. But if you take it to the bigger picture (which is off topic) both has a lot more as characters, of course. That sounded like I think Geralt is everything interesting in their characters. And I don't believe you're the one who says what we should or not talk about.

But it's basically speculation and we can only guess what would be the topic of their conversations.

That is the main problem, they are just assumptions. It is a fact that they had opportunity and they spent some time together, but it is not that they talked about a subject other than Ciri's situation. I believe that Yen, Triss, Ciri or a secondary character would have mentioned such a conversation. It's not even implied and their interactions do not show that they had a catfight or that they settle their differences and are friends again. It could have happened, but, who knows...

I don't think we refer to the same Dijkstra conversation

Oh, sure. But it is also another context. He was more serious there, even surprised seeing Triss again and working to Djkstra. If you say that Triss is in the past she will get hurt and question him, that felt a little too harsh to me and was a little out of character. Just like when he dumps Yen. But that wasn't an opportunity like tha ball, they were working and with a lot of people around. It's a very different situation, imo.

Last edited:
"Deep down there" = deep down inside her, assuming she still loves Geralt, she wants an opportunity to fall in his arms. Just like she does when she lures him to the fountain, like I said that doesn't seem a spontaneous "drunk" behaviour. It's not a thought that is really present on her mind, is a deeper and more irracional one. When you love someone but you know you can't have the person you will try to get over it, and act so, to not get hurt. But at the same time you have an irrational and low profile wish that life will make something happen to give you the opportunity to have this person. Like a dream, for an example. When you like someone but your chances are low, even so you dream with her in a world that things worked to make you stay together.

That's more or less what I meat, hope you understand now.

Yes, thank you. That souns a lot better and don't leave a room for interpretation and with that i can agree. It's natural after all.

Mention one good situation as good as the ball. That was the perfect one, plus it was the first situation she got driven by the whole atmosphere.

Let's take a situation when you let her be tortured. She could use a guilt to get him closer to her, or when he says that he didn't felt manipulated. Until the ball she gives no indication that she even wants to try again, or even tries to flirt, on the other hand the ball is best of all places because she can catch a breath after everything. I can't disagree, party was the best place, but it hink she could try sooner if Geralt would acknowledge that he still has some feelings for her

Philippa: "Triss plays the big sister to Ciri, but eagerly awaits a chance to hop in bed with you. You and Yennefer play the parents..."

Geralt: "Yeah, so if you're angling to make it a fivesome, there's clearly no room."

While this is sexual context I still don't think he tries to flirt here. but I guess it depends on the voice actor. For me his voice didn't leave a doubt in what he had to say.

I think Geralt is everything interesting in their characters. And I don't believe you're the one who says what we should or not talk about.

I'm not saying that we should or not talk about it, just that we are talking about more than that. In other words we should be safe if we are talking about more than a romance if we stay on Yen/Triss topic.

That's up to you, don't know where that question came from to be honest. I just sent you a lot of my favourite mods, that was in a very friendly way.

And I'm grateful for the mods, but honestly moderators made themselves clear that there is no excuse for quarrels in any way. So let's not give them more work. If you think that I misundersood you feel free to correct me. I like discussing things with you and I belive that we don't have to argue. The last thing this thread needs is another war. Countless threads like this were already closed becuse of that so let's show everyone that even when we disagree we can have a civil discussion :) If I minsunderstand you in any way in the future then I'm sorry for that and I want to make this clear that it wasn't my intention.

Last edited:
So I had some free time today and decided to read your previous post multiple times and must say that I still disagree with some things. I'll try to not misunderstand you so try to be calm if say something wrong. :p

. When you like someone but your chances are low, even so you dream with her in a world that things worked to make you stay together.

I really like that line and I agree with you. As I said it's natural. Still I can't say that I agree that deep down she was waiting for opportunity. The way I see it deep down she knew she had opportunity and it didn't do a thing and the last thing she wanted is to saw Geralt ever again. Of course that's my interpretation and you are free to see things differenty. I'm even inclined to say that if not for the witch hunt she could even move on, and her behaviour at the ball was partially the result of Geralt's support. She needed someone and it surely helped that the person that gave her some comfort was Geralt. But I can belive that she surely had a thoughts like "What if..." Hope that I didn't mistunderstood again... Sorry if I did... :p

He was being serious about handcuffing Triss in the middle of the square? Also don't see much difference between her waist comment. He would perfectly say that to Phil or Shani

You see, intimate or not I still will fiercely protect my point of view. I'll agree about Yen. Flirting is already inputed in dialogues. If it comes to Shani you can still be friendly to her without reserving to flirting, I think. I'm currently playing HoS so I'll try that. With Triss there are some flirts in Witcher 1 mainly after first Javed fight. In Witcher 2 you simply have an option to not choose flirty dialouges, the same with W3. When it comes to Phillippa for me Geralt basically says to her that she should mind her own buisness and there is not even a inch of flirt there. Their banters IMO are full of resentment in both sides. That's how I see it and there is nothing to convince me otherwise but you are free to see things differently.

Again if I misunderstood you in any way I really didn't want to do that.

Last edited:
....When it comes to Phillippa for me Geralt basically says to her that she should mind her own buisness and there is not even a inch of flirt there......

I agree. I get the impression Geralt doesn't like Phillippa and in any case, why would he flirt with a lesbian? I think he was being a bit snarky.

I agree. I get the impression Geralt doesn't like Phillippa and in any case, why would he flirt with a lesbian? I think he was being a bit snarky.

That was my impression as well, although Philippa plays both ways. There are a few dialogues in the game that infer that Geralt does not like Philippa very much, and his conversation with her during the Sunstone quest (and blindingly obvious quest) is more trying to tick her off (eg. mentioning the regrowing of the eyes) more than flirty. His comments to Ciri before the lodge meeting also implies that while he respects Philippa, she's not a very nice person. And if you take the books into account, he doesn't like her at all.

Guest 3847602

Wait wait wait... Was someone implying that Phillipa was trying to get with Geralt????

You mean, beside Vilgefortz? :lol:
Also, how could she say no to this?
https://youtu.be/Lyt5z86ZYAI?t=20

It's natural after all.

Yes, I agree. That's why I said that deep down inside her she was awaiting for an opportunity, the ball was the perfect one and she took it. It wasn't just becasue of the atmosphere and the drinking. If she got over 100% of Geralt that wouldn't have happened even with Geralt flirting with her.

I don't see that as "how she's evil", it was very well written and it makes perfect sense, she still loves him after all. I can't say that I don't believe is a stab in the back of Yen though.

Let's take a situation when you let her be tortured. She could use a guilt to get him closer to her, or when he says that he didn't felt manipulated. Until the ball she gives no indication that she even wants to try again

Yeah, but I can't agree and I'll tell you why. First because they talked in the end of Witcher 2 and both made an agrement of remain just friends, like it always was. Secondly, it was very different situations and at those situations she's still afraid and thinks that it would be a waist of time (and worst than that, she would just hurt her feelings even more) any attempt of trying to romance with him again because of Yen. Without the fact that they were working and focused, also the torture scene must have been tough to her, she wouldn't think about that neither was the proper place/situation to hint that she wants him back, imo. Their relationship evolves since the moment Geralt sets foot in Novigrad and met her until the ball and the goodbye. She also regrets what she did in the past despite of what Geralt said, as the relationship evolves that feeling gets weaker.

The way I see it, it's very natural why she didn't showed any signs of it or tried any advance on him, until the ball. She was fighting against her own feelings the very first moment she saw Geralt again, but she knew that she shouldn't expect nothing from those feelings. By the contrary, she is just trying to cut them off and lie to herself. I just watched her conversation with Geralt after the rat's job and how she talks about the cripple guy.

While this is sexual context I still don't think he tries to flirt here. but I guess it depends on the voice actor. For me his voice didn't leave a doubt in what he had to say.

Yeah, it depends on the voice acting and how you interpret it but neither do I think that he was flirting, but there is certainly his exotic sense of humor there, at least the way I see it I understand more or less like "sorry if you want to participate, but you're too late". Participate on what? No in his daugther's role of course but in a romantic/sexual role. We also know how he gets turned on by sorceress in general so a joke in such a sugestive context, even though is Philippa Eilhart, it's worth to mention to portray how his sense of humor works in the games. But I don't think he mean it something specific there, it was just a joke the same as the handcuffs, waist, the sugestive jokes with Yen etc. That was my point since the beggining. :D

Like I said back then:

So it's not like he necessarily means something with them, you can be naughty with Yen or Triss and still refuse them.

And I'm grateful for the mods, but honestly moderators made themselves clear that there is no excuse for quarrels in any way. So let's not give them more work. If you think that I misundersood you feel free to correct me. I like discussing things with you and I belive that we don't have to argue. The last thing this thread needs is another war. Countless threads like this were already closed becuse of that so let's show everyone that even when we disagree we can have a civil discussion If I minsunderstand you in any way in the future then I'm sorry for that and I want to make this clear that it wasn't my intention.

Couldn't agree more. I also enjoy the talking with you and to read what you have to say, I didn't mean to be rude and if you felt I was I apologize. I just tried to made a point exactly about what you misundertood me, more than once. And I don't see a huge problem there, but to have a proper convesantion I needed to tell you about it. I think we are clear now.

---------- Updated at 09:55 PM ----------

Wait wait wait... Was someone implying that Phillipa was trying to get with Geralt?

Probably it is me, but I have no idea where that came from. Perhaps I'm writting too much hahaha

Last edited:
Look this game gives u allot of choice but I am very certain that that was not something that was meant to be conisered at all...

Guest 3847602

Look this game gives u allot of choice but I am very certain that that was not something that was meant to be conisered at all...

If you're referring to Geralt x Philippa I wasn't being serious. At all. :p
Vilgefortz indeed said what @toudis815 quoted, but that was a part of the conversation where Geralt was being overly modest and Vilgefortz overly flattering for their own reasons.
With exception of Yennefer and Triss, no one else on Thanedd was really attracted to him. Sabrina and Marti were just jealous of Yen being happy with someone and would do anything to piss her off. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see that as "how she's evil", it was very well written and it makes perfect sense, she still loves him after all. I can't say that I don't believe is a stab in the back of Yen though.

I agree. The game shows enough proof that Geralt is more important that Yennefer for her. Definitely not the best friend material if you ask me.

The way I see it, it's very natural why she didn't showed any signs of it or tried any advance on him, until the ball. She was fighting against her own feelings the very first moment she saw Geralt again, but she knew that she shouldn't expect nothing from those feelings. By the contrary, she is just trying to cut them off and lie to herself. I just watched her conversation with Geralt after the rat's job and how she talks about the cripple guy.

Couldn't said it better myself. That's exactly how I interprent it too.

But I don't think he mean it something specific there, it was just a joke the same as the handcuffs, waist, the sugestive jokes with Yen etc

In case with Phillipa I'm still thinking that he wanted to be, let's say mean to her and clearly wanted to say that she should mind her own buisness. Other than that, yeah, he indeed has specific way of joking. If it comes to fliriting for instance in polish version it's easy to hear when he flirts, or when he's being sarcastic. When he flirts you can hear specific tone in his voice like he wanted to bang someone right now :p

Couldn't agree more. I also enjoy the talking with you and to read what you have to say, I didn't mean to be rude and if you felt I was I apologize. I just tried to made a point exactly about what you misundertood me, more than once. And I don't see a huge problem there, but to have a proper convesantion I needed to tell you about it. I think we are clear now.

In my relpy to that post I was a little rude too. I should think twice that you could just had a bad day for instance and your reply is not an attack directed in me. So I apologise too and I'm glad that we don't argue. Like I said if I'll misunderstand you in any way It won't be my intention.

I choose Yen for Geralt.

If I was choosing for myself, I'd chose Triss, probably.

Same here. It was hard playing the game and not choosing Yen. The game really forces the family aspect of it with Yen, makes you feel like your breaking up the family and doing harm to Ciri in the process. Playing both story arcs, it felt like I chose Triss for Geralt, and chose Yen for the 'family'. This is game only of course. the books really showed Yen's mindset and you understand her complex character better.

On the other hand, if it were _me_ that had to choose between these two, I would pick the one that treated me with respect and actually showed interest and wasnt afraid of her feelings. Yen strikes me as someone I'd love to hang out with in short spurts, whereas Triss is someone you could settle down with and play house.

That aside, i wish the devs would have used Yennefer from the start of Witcher 1. That would have gave them 3 games to show character growth, start her off as the books had, a self-absorb unpleasant person and grow into the the person she was at the end of the books... Using Yen for 1/2 of one game really wasn't enough time to explain her complex character and attitude.

Guest 3847602

That aside, i wish the devs would have used Yennefer from the start of Witcher 1. That would have gave them 3 games to show character growth, start her off as the books had, a self-absorb unpleasant person and grow into the the person she was at the end of the books... Using Yen for 1/2 of one game really wasn't enough time to explain her complex character and attitude.

They could have easily put Yennefer in the first and the second game, but it would be next to impossible to have the alternative LI in that case. How can you realistically present the choice between someone your character spent the past 20 years with and someone of minor importance like Triss or Shani?
As soon as Yennefer was introduced in TW3 people started complaining about the writers' bias, inequality, forced break-up, blah, blah, blah... All because CDPR chose to respect the source material and didn't ignore the HUUUGE history between the two of them. The history no other possible romance option have with Geralt. Just imagine the intensity of the butthurt if something like that kept repeating in more than one game. :fun:
The approach CDPR took worked for me - Geralt reuniting with Yennefer and Ciri are by far the most important events in all 3 games for me and as such, it is something I prefer to see at the end of his storyline, not the beginning.

All because CDPR chose to respect the source material and didn't ignore the HUUUGE history between the two of them.

Why don't give more time and development to such a huge character then? That would be respect, imo. I see tons of people who not just completely misunderstood Yen but are also insulting her all over the internet exaclty cause of that. They are wrong? Maybe, but the games are a very different media compared with the books, most people who played the games will never touch them. The devs knew that and the games as a solo experience doesn't help with that.

So, the premise of giving a romantic "freedom" to the main character and offer more when it comes to entertaining purposes made them vanish with the second most important character of the saga? I can't agree with that, they should have went for a complete reboot then. There is a justification, and a good one, why she wasn't in the first two games, but still that is the only thing I don't understand about CDPR since the beggining, why they didn't wrote a different path to Yen and to the whole plot.

Just an example, they could have introduced her in the first game living with Geralt and Ciri as a family, shown her affection for them and her lovely side in less critical situations. Then, he could have amnesia in the end of the game and something would happen to divide their paths (giving the players the window to play as a different Geralt) and she would've come back in the third one. That would make the choice between Triss, Shani or a single Geralt less likely but would be more fair with her character and with the lore as we're not talking about a reboot, but a continuaiton from the books. I would like to see her in the three games but I would understand that if it was well written without a problem. People would complain that she wasn't in the second game? Probably, but if she was well portrayed they would have known her and Geralt far far better.

I agree. The game shows enough proof that Geralt is more important that Yennefer for her. Definitely not the best friend material if you ask me.

There is also the fact that Triss appeared a lot later in his life and she was friend with Yen already, her first feeling for Geralt was actually just curiosity, not an intense love at first sight, she was kind of jealous of Yen. That is the only thing I have "against" Triss, don't think she is a vilain cause of it though. She would help Yen and Ciri if needed, she likes her but it is a matter of priorities, unfortunately that conflict of interests costed Yen's beloved man and that's hard to swallow.

In case with Phillipa I'm still thinking that he wanted to be, let's say mean to her and clearly wanted to say that she should mind her own buisness.

I can see it like that too, it actually doesn't conlficts with what I said. I talked more about his sense of humor per say, this very sarcastic and a lot of times even kinky way of joking, he used it as a tool to tell her to mind her own business, not directly. In this particular case I think that there is a kinky side because of the sugestive context of that the joke was putted, but such as the handcuffs and most jokes, doesn't really mean something. That's why I mentioned Phil along with Triss, Yen, Shani etc, to exemplifie his sense of humor, not his flerting skills. But I can destinguish the difference when he's joking/being sarcastic and when he's flirting for real.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Why don't give more time and development to such a huge character then? That would be respect, imo. I see tons of people who not just completely misunderstood Yen but are also insulting her all over the internet exaclty cause of that. They are wrong? Maybe, but the games are a very different media compared with the books, most people who played the games will never touch them. The devs knew that and the games as a solo experience doesn't help with that.

Come on, CDPR isn't responsible for whatever some nutcase writes on youtube, tumblr, etc... And lets not even pretend people who bash Yennefer are the only ones who acts like idiots. That's just the unfortunate side effect of TW3 becoming popular as it is - you get the attention of that kind of people.

So, the premise of giving a romantic "freedom" to the main character and offer more when it comes to entertaining purposes made them vanish with the second most important character of the saga? I can't agree with that, they should have went for a complete reboot then. There is a justification, and a good one, why she wasn't in the first two games, but still that is the only thing I don't understand about CDPR since the beggining, why they didn't wrote a different path to Yen and to the whole plot.

Just an example, they could have introduced her in the first game living with Geralt and Ciri as a family, shown her affection for them and her lovely side in less critical situations. Then, he could have amnesia in the end of the game and something would happen to divide their paths (giving the players the window to play as a different Geralt) and she would've come back in the third one. That would make the choice between Triss, Shani or a single Geralt less likely but would be more fair with her character and with the lore as we're not talking about a reboot, but a continuaiton from the books. I would like to see her in the three games but I would understand that if it was well written without a problem. People would complain that she wasn't in the second game? Probably, but if she was well portrayed they would have known her and Geralt far far better.

Sure, there are many other ways Yennefer could have been introduced earlier. Just not as many that makes the eventual choice between her and anyone else particularly plausible. For me, these are the role-playing games first and foremost, non-canonical sequels to the books second. Providing believable choices & consequences should be a top priority (though admittedly, that often wasn't the case in TW3). The story of first two games was written in such way that allowed them to present someone else in addition to Yennefer as a valid option in the third. Fine by me, I can accept not having the preferred LI of my Geralt in more than just one game if she was well written in the final game of the trilogy. As it turned out, I liked her writing, I liked her voice-actress, I liked the way her character was modeled... So yeah, it was worth the wait for me. If someone is interested in knowing her or Geralt or Triss or Ciri, their relationships and backstories better, there is no better way of doing so than reading the books. The literature is and always will be the best medium for storytelling and character development. For video games interactivity is the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see tons of people who not just completely misunderstood Yen but are also insulting her all over the internet exaclty cause of that. They are wrong?
I don't think that's because of her not being in the first two games, but the way she is. If you're gonna faithfully represent a character like Yen(I think CDPR did a great job), she is bound to rub some people the wrong way, it's just how her personality is. Yen is not exactly a prototype of a character that will be universally loved by all and it's a good thing. I don't think she was meant to be a character like that. Even within TW universe, she is misunderstood by many people and Geralt is one of the few who really understands her.

When I was first playing TW3, it was before reading the books and I had a very basic knowledge about her. Still, her game representation left a positive impression on me. Maybe because she takes charge at times without giving Geralt a say plays a part in the way people see her. In an RPG game it's kind of expected for player character to have a final say and her taking that control away might irk some players. She can be bossy at times and challenge Geralt and while he might like that, the people controlling him are a different story.

But it's funny to me because I think most people would make the same decisions she gets criticized for if the game gave them a chance to decide. Like the mask thing or the necromancy and the garden. It was the only way to find Ciri, but because Yen acts without Geralt's input it somehow makes it the worse thing ever. I kind of doubt many people would choose to save the garden over Ciri if the game asked them. The storm passed, Skjall was already dead and the garden was a reasonable sacrifice imo. Not much harm done, no one died and the results were worth it.

I even enjoyed getting thrown in the lake, it was hilarious the first time it happened and there were a few other moments where Yen cracked me up.

For me, these are the role-playing games first and foremost, non-canonical sequels to the books second. Providing believable choices & consequences should be a top priority
I completely agree, giving players a chance to influence the story and craft their own experience is one of the main strengths of TW games and the games as media in general.

Just imagine the intensity of the butthurt if something like that kept repeating in more than one game.
I'm not gonna lie, as an avid Triss fan I would be pretty pissed if TW4 happened and my Geralt(assuming he would be in it) was broken off with her again, especially after the ending of TW3, at least it made sense between TW2 and TW3.

Last edited:
But it's funny to me because I think most people would make the same decisions she gets criticized for if the game gave them a chance to decide. Like the mask thing or the necromancy and the garden. It was the only way to find Ciri, but because Yen acts without Geralt's input it somehow makes it the worse thing ever. I kind of doubt many people would choose to save the garden over Ciri if the game asked them. The storm passed, Skjall was already dead and the garden was a reasonable sacrifice imo. Not much harm done, no one died and the results were worth it.

Yeah, I really like Yennefer's character. You do not see that much in video games. These actions you mention didn't turn me off Yen at all. And I like her constant banter/feistiness. But to me, there was no 'growth', or enough of a growth in half the game to show what Yen's character was really like, especially towards Geralt. This is game only of course. Take Yen's letter and compare it to Triss. Triss wonders how Geralt's is doing, when he is going to come back to her, etc. Yen was like 'here's some information, best of luck and take care'. Not to mention they sorta mangled her relationship with Ciri (and gave her mentor status to avalach for some reason).

With Triss, you see alot of character development and growth. Ups and downs with her character, showing lots of different emotions and growth. . She see her go from low self esteem to a more confident person. Almost realistic how they developed her towards the end of the game/series. Now the books is a completely and utterly different story, and Yen was probably the best written character in any book i've read in a while.

Top Bottom