Yen Or Triss?

+
W3 director chose Yen in recent interview xD:
Vichi, CR Gamers Hub: Who did you pick? Jeneffer (sic!) or Triss?
Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, Game Director: Yennefer. I think she’s an extremely interesting and deep character. And I’m also a fan of The Witcher books, so for me Yennefer was the obvious choice.Konrad picked Yennefer, who did you choose?
Vichi, CR Gamers Hub: Is there any character in the game, with whom you got an special bond during game development? If so, Why?
Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, Game Director: Again, I’ll have to go with Yennefer on this one. Like I said, I’m a huge fan of the books and I really love Yennefer as a character, and really wanted to get her right in the game. It was something that took us a lot of time. Our writers had to rewrite her multiple times. It was quite a challenge, and maybe that’s also part of why I feel especially attached to her, too.
http://www.crgamershub.club/2016/10/14/konrad-tomaszkiewicz-the-witcher-3-game-director/

Last edited:
Yeah, I really like Yennefer's character. You do not see that much in video games. These actions you mention didn't turn me off Yen at all. And I like her constant banter/feistiness. But to me, there was no 'growth', or enough of a growth in half the game to show what Yen's character was really like, especially towards Geralt. This is game only of course. Take Yen's letter and compare it to Triss. Triss wonders how Geralt's is doing, when he is going to come back to her, etc. Yen was like 'here's some information, best of luck and take care'. Not to mention they sorta mangled her relationship with Ciri (and gave her mentor status to avalach for some reason).

With Triss, you see alot of character development and growth. Ups and downs with her character, showing lots of different emotions and growth. . She see her go from low self esteem to a more confident person. Almost realistic how they developed her towards the end of the game/series. Now the books is a completely and utterly different story, and Yen was probably the best written character in any book i've read in a while.
I only listed a few things I saw people mention when criticizing Yen in the games, I don't really have a problem with any of her actions in game. As far as the growth is concerned, the way I see it, Yen is already a rich, well developed character, she shows significant growth throughout the books and Sapkowski pretty much concludes her character arc. So the challenge in the games was to show as much of her as possible with the limited screen time she has, rather than focusing on developing her further, but it's hard compressing 7 books of development into her game version. Ultimately, I think CDPR did an admirable job with her.

With Triss, things are different, she was a side character in the books with just enough characterization and connection to the main characters to make her interesting, but still leave more liberty and room in her further development. Her growth as a person is implied at the end of the books, but she is still away from reaching it. It also helps that she got three games to do it.

I don't know about the letter thing, maybe you mean the dear friend version you get when no one is romanced, but I also don't think it's strange that Triss is more open in her display of emotions.

I don't think that's because of her not being in the first two games, but the way she is. If you're gonna faithfully represent a character like Yen(I think CDPR did a great job), she is bound to rub some people the wrong way, it's just how her personality is.

I can agree partially here because her development as a character was huge and a main aspect of the books since the Last Wish till the ending of Lady Of The Lake, she changed and have shown more than once her complete love for Geralt and Ciri, things that a lot of people who just played the game really doubt. That's why I said is not completely fair with the lore. Even so, there was have people who wouldn't like her personality and that' is completely fine by me. My problem is with people who misundertood her, Ciri's and Geralt characters and use their game experience to bash Yennefer. Agree that she isn't the prototype of a beloved character, but she is very misunderstood cause they way the devs wrote her. My intention is not make a point that the devs should have wrote her in a way to everybody love her, but in a way to be more accurate and fair with the lore stablished.

Even within TW universe, she is misunderstood by many people and Geralt is one of the few who really understands her.

People also misunderstood that, and sees her acting too cold towards him but mostly with Ciri. I completely understand why she can be harsh and straight to the point, but I can't agree with the fact of she being cold and distant from them most of the time. There wasn't time because of the main plot involving Ciri's life? There wasn't, but that's why I said the should have introduced her before, with time and development.

Come on, CDPR isn't responsible for whatever some nutcase writes on youtube, tumblr, etc...

But they are responsible for the way they wrote the game.
And lets not even pretend people who bash Yennefer are the only ones who acts like idiots.

One never said that, but let's also not pretend that Yennefer it is not the character who gets the most hate after W3, agree with Hamilton that she isn't the best example of material to love but she definetely is not the material to be hated like that aswell. I don't have any problem with people hating her if all the cards are over the table, if the person adressing her criticism and thoughts knows what she is talking about and understand her character. When one uses logic and reason there is no room for an arguing and misunderstanding. But that's not the case with the majority who don't like her, and the games has their fair amounth of blame on that, imo. At the very least they don't help with it.

I think that there is two huge aspects that generates the hate from the games and it bothers me.

First: the devolpment of Yen's character missing in the game. The development factor that she went through the whole books is simply fantastic and it should be portrayed somehow, they should have putted some minor version of it in the games. You can argue that there isn't time, well three games are better than one to portray the second most important character of the saga who has a huge development in the stablished lore. The reader can easily disagree and doubt Yen in the short stories, even hate her, but at the ending of LoTL? No one can deny that she went through a deep development and is cristal clear about her feelings. Without the simple fact that she doesn't has a proper introduction there, about her past and etc. Most characters don't have also a huge introduction in the games besides Geralt itself, but none are as important, has a main role in the plot, as she is. Or are as controversial as she is, you can't put her in the same sack, imo. Ciri has also a huge importance in the lore/plot and doesn't have an exactly introduction, but she is not complex and controversial as Yen is.

People should have read the books before playing the games to understand her (or even after)? I disagree, like I said they are very different medias and it is a fact that most people who played the games won't read all the books. We, people who participate in the forum and are more passionate about it are the huge minority. Most of us read or are reding the books and have the knoledge to have a proper opinion about it. That's why although they are a non-canon and a role-play game, they must walk with their own legs and at the same they need to be fair with the characters because it is a direct continuation of the books.

Second: they only show one side of Yen's character, the savage motherly one who is ready to destroy the world for her beloved child, you have just minor glimpses of her personality in less critical situations, like in The Last Wish quest and in Vizima. This is partiality, imo. Her behaviour in the game makes sense with the character? Yes, but that doesn't mean she have the fair amount of screen-time and development, specially to non book readers, the thousand of ones who were introduced to The Witcher in that moment. The less screen-time you give to a character the less opportunities you have to portray his personality, as we are talking about the second most important and a very deep one, little screen time it is unfair.

I agree with that:

Sure, there are many other ways Yennefer could have been introduced earlier. Just not as many that makes the eventual choice between her and anyone else particularly plausible.

The story of first two games was written in such way that allowed them to present someone else in addition to Yennefer as a valid option in the third.

But I disagree here:

Providing believable choices & consequences should be a top priority (though admittedly, that often wasn't the case in TW3).

And seems we disagree because a matter of priority. To you, in a non-canon and role-playable game (basically what I said, entertaining purposes) that is a continuation from a stablished lore the priority should be the choices-consequeces first. I love that aspect of pretty much any game I play (that's why I love Telltale games, for example) and that's why I said that if this was their pritority they should have went for a complete rebot.

I believe that the top priority in Wicther games should be the lore and the characters as we are talking about a direct continuation from a stablished lore, but see that one thing don't invalidate the other, you could put those two aspects to work together just like the example I gave. So, as you have the most important characters after the main one such as Yen and Ciri vanished from two games just because of entertaining purposes I think is very unfair with both but mainly with Yen who is complex and controversial, cause of this it is natural that she suffers all this misunderstanding.

Sorry for the huge post btw. :geraltthatsgood:

---------- Updated at 06:17 PM ----------

But to me, there was no 'growth', or enough of a growth in half the game to show what Yen's character was really like, especially towards Geralt. This is game only of course. Take Yen's letter and compare it to Triss. Triss wonders how Geralt's is doing, when he is going to come back to her, etc. Yen was like 'here's some information, best of luck and take care'. Not to mention they sorta mangled her relationship with Ciri (and gave her mentor status to avalach for some reason).

This is also a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
People also misunderstood that, and sees her acting too cold towards him but mostly with Ciri. I completely understand why she can be harsh and straight to the point, but I can't agree with the fact of she being cold and distant from them most of the time. There wasn't time because of the main plot involving Ciri's life? There wasn't, but that's why I said the should have introduced her before, with time and development.

My quote about Yennefer's lack of relationship with Ciri, or showing that relationship, was more from the Ciri side of things than Yennefer's. Yenn definately shows her maternal side in the game, but Ciri's indifference is completely opposite than the books. In the books, you know that the Ciri/Yen relationship is something special, a deep mother-daugther respect type. Yet in the game, Ciri shows indifference to Yen, even at one point stating she doesn't trust her. She's more overjoyed to hear about Avallach than Yen when Geralt finds her. In the books, you could say Ciri is even closer to Yen than Geralt.. Game-only players really miss out on that dynamic that humanizes Yen and really shows that side of her character.

My quote about Yennefer's lack of relationship with Ciri, or showing that relationship

The fact that Yen was almost reduced to a mentor's role in her life and that she doesn't have a "growth" during the games are the perfect examples of what I said. I disagree of what Hamilton and Odrin said about that she's a stablished character already. She can be, but that should be shown in the games because they are a paralel platform from the books, like I said people who read the whole books are the minority. Imo, she simply doesn't have an introduction and it's portrayed just one side of her character. That combined with a complex and controversial character is a bomb.

If she had a better introduction in less critical situations they would have the time to show that she is a lot more than that. Forget about the things she does in W3, I'm talking about human relations, the warmth, the talking, the affection, the disposal to help her with the minor things like the quests in Novigrad with Ciri and etc. I never really felt that the three of them are a family in the game, neither does a lot of people who read the books, exactly because the way Yen was portrayed in a human aspect: distant and cold. Agree with what you said, but I don't think it comes just from Ciri's side. It comes from both.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

One never said that, but let's also not pretend that Yennefer it is not the character who gets the most hate after W3, agree with Hamilton that she isn't the best example of material to love but she definetely is not the material to be hated like that aswell. I don't have any problem with people hating her if all the cards are over the table, if the person adressing her criticism and thoughts knows what she is talking about and understand her character. When one uses logic and reason there is no room for an arguing and misunderstanding. But that's not the case with the majority who don't like her, and the games has their fair amounth of blame on that, imo. At the very least they don't help with it.

Yennefer does get a lot of hate, partially because a portion of the playerbase already feels pushed toward her. Not that I agree with them. Does Triss gets more or less hate than her? Don't know, but it's equally irrational and ugly to see it.

Second: they only show one side of Yen's character, the savage motherly one who is ready to destroy the world for her beloved child, you have just minor glimpses of her personality in less critical situations, like in The Last Wish quest and in Vizima. This is partiality, imo. Her behaviour in the game makes sense with the character? Yes, but that doesn't mean she have the fair amount of screen-time and development, specially to non book readers, the thousand of ones who were introduced to The Witcher in that moment. The less screen-time you give to a character the less opportunities you have to portray his personality, as we are talking about the second most important and a very deep one, little screen time it is unfair.

Like I said - I think the game did a very good job with her character, it showcased the majority of her most apparent traits, some other important characters in TW3 suffered from the lack of screentime and development much more than Yennefer, imo.
Was it perfect? No, the way Ciri's relationship with her is presented was issue for me and I wasn't really quiet about it. In the end, it is what it is and I'm more than satisfied with what I got.

So, as you have the most important characters after the main one such as Yen and Ciri vanished from two games just because of entertaining purposes I think is very unfair with both but mainly with Yen who is complex and controversial, cause of this it is natural that she suffers all this misunderstanding.

Well, imagine the scenes like these:

with Aurora engine and Geralt whose face looked like this:
Just one of the reasons I was fine with waiting for the right time for their introduction, when these big moments could have big impact :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one of the reasons I was fine with waiting for the right time for their introduction, when these big moments could have big impact

Don't know, but it's equally irrational and ugly to see it.

Agree that the way they did it gives more impact and, though there are things I don't appreciate that she did and I prefer Yennefer any day, l also don't like the hate over Triss. When it comes to facial expressions and graphics I don't care more than the immersion, writting and storytelling itself. They were a tiny company and it was what they could offer in that moment in terms of technology, still a lot of people like it cause of his story.

it is what it is and I'm more than satisfied with what I got.

I'm more than satisfied aswell as is the best game I have ever played in my life, and I played a lot of them... But still, that's something I'm bringing just because I don't understand. It was mentioned here already in one interview that they were cautious about bring Yennefer to the games, why? Because she is controversial and complex, the obvious thing to do in that case would be give her most screen-time as they could. Mainly to present her to non-book readers (like 70% of the players? I have no idea but it's probably the majority). No the other way around. But regardless of that the game it is well written and it gives a solid explanation why she was out of the picture. Could have been better? Of course, I just gave my opinion how they could have portrayed her better and avoid this issue.

some other important characters in TW3 suffered from the lack of screentime and development much more than Yennefer, imo.

Yes, there were and that is something I understand of CDPR. It would be impossible to represent all the characters from seven books with complexity in a trilogy. But like I said, Yen is a main character, the second most important one in the saga, and it can't be putted in the same sack as the secondary characters, imo.

Last edited:
I'm more than satisfied aswell as is the best game I have ever played in my life, and I played a lot of them... But still, that's something I'm bringing just because I don't understand. It was mentioned here already in one interview that they were cautious about bring Yennefer to the games, why? Because she is controversial and complex, the obvious thing to do in that case would be give her most screen-time as they could. Mainly to present her to non-book readers (like 70% of the players? I have no idea but it's probably the majority). No the other way around. But regardless of that the game it is well written and it gives a solid explanation why she was out of the picture. Could have been better? Of course, I just gave my opinion how they could have portrayed her better and avoid this issue.

I think there was another reason for exluding Yen. While CDPR is x100 better than Biow I mean, certain companies right know they included many complex characters from the books, Still, I'm happy they finally did it. Maybe they were afraid to put her in W1, but Imo by the time they were making Witcher 2 it was intentional.

While it comes to the screen-time I agree. Not only Yen, but for instance Triss, Zoltan, and Dandelion didn't have enough scenes either. Eredin got the worst treatment, but considering it was CDPR' first game that was so massive they really worked hard to make W3 amazing game.

Yeah, I really like Yennefer's character. You do not see that much in video games. These actions you mention didn't turn me off Yen at all. And I like her constant banter/feistiness. But to me, there was no 'growth', or enough of a growth in half the game to show what Yen's character was really like, especially towards Geralt. This is game only of course. Take Yen's letter and compare it to Triss. Triss wonders how Geralt's is doing, when he is going to come back to her, etc. Yen was like 'here's some information, best of luck and take care'. Not to mention they sorta mangled her relationship with Ciri (and gave her mentor status to avalach for some reason).

With Triss, you see alot of character development and growth. Ups and downs with her character, showing lots of different emotions and growth. . She see her go from low self esteem to a more confident person. Almost realistic how they developed her towards the end of the game/series. Now the books is a completely and utterly different story, and Yen was probably the best written character in any book i've read in a while.

I agree. Lots of character development for Triss. To me, she grows more than any other character since the books.

I wonder how many people make their choice based only on the games.
Alot of these seem to be, "but Yen is like this in the books."
I choose Triss mainly because she was in the other games and I didn't know much about Yen.
Next game I want to try to delay the 2 quests so I don't have to decide until later.

I wonder how many people make their choice based only on the games.
Alot of these seem to be, "but Yen is like this in the books."
I choose Triss mainly because she was in the other games and I didn't know much about Yen.
Next game I want to try to delay the 2 quests so I don't have to decide until later.

There are some that read all the books and still pick Triss.

I often see the argument how Triss is a girl and Yennefer is a woman and I find it ridiculous. It seems to me people choose to ignore most of Triss' actions and only judge her by the behavior she shows during romantic moments in TW3. They are both very strong and capable women, especially compared to the average women we see in TW world.

To be a strong independent woman, one doesn't always has to act cold and distant, one doesn't always need to be serious and goal driven. For me that doesn't define a strong woman. If you look at Triss' actions, they clearly show her being a very capable individual, one that manages to adapt herself to difficult situations and often come out at top. She deals with kings, spies, criminals, peasants, other sorceresses, she has her political and ideological agendas and manages to keep herself involved with the ruling class and secure a position of power for herself. This doesn't only go for Triss, but also other sorceresses of the Lodge. Lodge is not an organization that accepts anyone and Triss being a member clearly shows her skills are appreciated. Triss can also be manipulative with the purpose of advancing her own interests and she is far from some naive young and helpless girl I often see people trying to present her as. It is similar to people claiming that Yen is just a ruthless bitch and equally wrong imo.

What goes against Triss is the lack of experience and cold determination she has compared to some other Lodge sorceress or Yennefer, but she is not being compared to the average women here, but one of the most experienced and powerful ones in the world. Pit her against the average person or even persons that hold influence in TW world(male or female) and you'll get a different picture. She might not be on Phil's or Yen's level, but she is far, far away from being considered a helpless, naive little girl, clueless of her actions.

Another thing I feel is taken against her is her often mild persona. Having a more relaxed, giggly personality isn't mutually exclusive to being a strong woman, same way as always acting serious or distant doesn't make you one. Being a strong woman doesn't mean you can't have fun, be silly at times or feel and express love. How Triss acts with her close friends or loved ones doesn't take away from her accomplishments and imo only adds to her character. When Triss asks for Geralt's help or opinion, I don't see it as a sign of her weakness, but as sign of maturity. She is not afraid to admit being over her head and asking advice. She has weaknesses, like any other person does, but I don't see her as some weak, immature young girl.

Lodge is not an organization that accepts anyone and Triss being a member clearly shows her skills are appreciated.

Basically every sorceress alive was asked to join the Lodge at first two meetings. Anyway - in books Lodge made more harm than good, in W1 - I don't remember, in W2 once again they created nothing but mess, in W3 - they are in hidding/imprisoned and if not for one stupid witcher most of them wouldn't even survived. This organization is a party of sociopaths, and - as we see in the end - losers :p

She deals with kings, spies, criminals, peasants, other sorceresses, she has her political and ideological agendas and manages to keep herself involved with the ruling class and secure a position of power for herself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in books Foltest exiled her from Temeria, in W2 he had her by his side...and he died, in W3 she has absolutely no position at all.

The fact that someone is consort or hang out with important people doesn't meet that this person has any real power

Basically every sorceress alive was asked to join the Lodge at first two meetings. Anyway - in books Lodge made more harm than good, in W1 - I don't remember, in W2 once again they created nothing but mess, in W3 - they are in hidding/imprisoned and if not for one stupid witcher most of them wouldn't even survived. This organization is a party of sociopaths, and - as we see in the end - losers :p
My point wasn't exactly to praise Lodge's achievements, but to show that Triss is capable of dealing with variety of less and more powerful people while still managing to find her place among them. Despite all her plans failing miserably, few would call Phil weak or say she's not a strong woman. I think that applies to all the sorceresses to some extent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in books Foltest exiled her from Temeria, in W2 he had her by his side...and he died, in W3 she has absolutely no position at all.

The fact that someone is consort or hang out with important people doesn't meet that this person has any real power
Yeah, she losses her position(she was puppet to the Lodge anyway), but still manages to build new relationships with Novigrad's underground and Koviri royalty, all that while sorceresses are being heavily persecuted, showing she is more than capable taking care of herself and managing in the world. By the end of TW3 she does secure a new position in Kovir, better than any previous she had. She is the one taking charge of the oppressed mages and risking her neck for them. I think Triss fits nicely in the description of a strong independent woman, something people often don't see about her, due to imo having a more easy going personality. I think her achievements are beyond the reach of the ordinary person and to see her as a cutesy lovey dovey girl only is a shallow way of observing her character.

That of course doesn't mean she is without flaws. She often appears weak compared to the other sorceresses, we all know where she placed her loyalty when it came to Ciri, and there is the whole amnesia thing, but even all this adds to her character complexity imo.

EDIT:

I wanted to post this in the thread that got locked, but since I already wrote it, I'll post it here instead.

I find it funny how a lot of arguments in Yen's favor come down to "But Triss is X or Triss did Y or Triss isn't Z". In my opinion, Yen's character is strong enough and with enough qualities to be able to keep the discussion and analysis of her going without primarily focusing on Triss' flaws as pros for Yen. Surely she has other qualities other than not being Triss.

If we are talking about Yen's game representation only, my first impression was positive, she comes across as very confident and intelligent person, brash at times, but so is Geralt. Her similarities with Geralt don't end there, she is driven, cares mostly about her loved ones and is ready to do anything for them. Considering how many people Geralt kills on his way to finding and protecting Ciri, Yen's actions even come off as mild in comparison. The flak she gets for some of her actions in TW3 is unjustified imo, at least I never saw necromancy or the destruction of the garden as such a big deal. What Yen lacks in caring for other people she more than makes up in her unquestioned loyalty to those closest to her.

As far as her treating Geralt like shit, I also disagree, for me their interactions mostly came across as playful. Yen is witty and sarcastic and Geralt reacts well to that because he is often like that himself. That's why their banters are so fun.

There is also a softer side of Yen, one that is reserved for her loved ones and getting to see that side of her is all the more powerful as you know she doesn't show it to just anyone. Her affection feels very rewarding as a result.

On a more superficial note, her character model is very well done, she looks beautiful and I'm glad they decided to change her appearance from what we saw in the first trailer. Her voice acting is also superb.

If I was to add a few things from the books I really liked about Yen, her interactions with Ciri during BoE were excellent and I liked how she and Ciri gradually embraced each other and the way their relationship grew from tutor/student to mother/daughter. It's like they both got more than they bargained for and neither really expected their bond to become so strong, but it felt very natural as it was happening.

How she held during her imprisonment is nothing short of admirable and goes a long way to show how loyal she is to the people she cares about. Her loyalty goes far beyond her personal interests and safety. The whole ordeal she went through clearly shows there are no limits to what she is ready to do for her loved ones, she will give everything, even her life. Another example of this would be her desperate attempt to save Geralt in the end. The way I see it, she knew it was hopeless all along, even Ciri and Triss realize this, but she still gave her life trying.

On a brighter note, I enjoyed her interactions with Rita(the flashing scene was funny) and how she saved Dandelion's ass.

Last edited:
I'm playing CDPR's game, not Sapkowski's books. The two are separate. One is canon, the other is basically fan fiction that allows player choice.

It's a continuation, you know? The same lore, the same characters, everything is the same. Playing the games means you are experiencing Sapkowski's work, but in another media. Though it wasn't directly written by him.

Yeah, she losses her position(she was puppet to the Lodge anyway)

I don't believe she is a grown woman as Yen is and she doesn't need to, she's young to a sorceress so it's not a fair comparison though is valid through Geralt's eyes. Maybe that's why one can bring that. Triss commited a lot of mistakes and was used more than once by more mature women, that doesn't mean "she is not a woman" or is a stupid kiddo, she proved more than once she also can handle herself. She is a human being in delopment, that's it. Yen is considerably older and has a lot more experience, she went through that development already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom