Yen Or Triss?

+
I find it funny how a lot of arguments in Yen's favor come down to "But Triss is X or Triss did Y or Triss isn't Z". In my opinion, Yen's character is strong enough and with enough qualities to be able to keep the discussion and analysis of her going without primarily focusing on Triss' flaws as pros for Yen.

I think that this is usually reaction for typical "Yen is a bitch while Triss is a sweetheart"
Originally Posted by Garrison72

I'm playing CDPR's game, not Sapkowski's books. The two are separate. One is canon, the other is basically fan fiction that allows player choice.

It's a continuation, you know? The same lore, the same characters, everything is the same. Playing the games means you are experiencing Sapkowski's work, but in another media. Though it wasn't directly written by him.

I'm on @Garrison72 side here. Game is an adaptation - fan fiction. Yes it's the same lore, but story is a "fan fiction". Is it experiencing Sapkowski's work? Hard to say, he doesn't even know what happens in games. No one ever said that you have to read 8 books until you will be allowed to make your own decisions in RPG game

No one ever said that you have to read 8 books until you will be allowed to make your own decisions in RPG game

How you're not experiencing Sapo's work in the games if they are a continuation of everything he created and which tries to follow as strictly as it can from the books? If you play a non-canon Star Wars or LOTR game you're not experiencing the original work but still lies withing the same world, landscape, characters, backgorund, conflicts, interests, creatures and all the bagage you can think. The experience is not just the story per say.

No one said that you need to read all the books before playing the game, I know what you mean and is the same discussion we had here already, abour lore friendly and etc. But despite of that, I personaly think that the games are A LOT better after you read, or know the highlights of the books. We can't simplify the games as an ordinary "fan-fiction" as Sapo gave his permission for them to writte and use their image, and everyone knows their effort to make it as good (and similar) as the books. Besides, though is a different media and of course it has is differences, we are not talking about a rebot or a very different storytelling, is basically the same Witcher from the books because is the same characters, lore and world. You can say that Sapo wouldn't write this and would have add that, but the whole context and characters are the same, they even bring the same personalities from the books.

We can't simplify the games as an ordinary "fan-fiction" as Sapo gave his permission for them to writte and use their image, and everyone knows their effort to make it as good (and similar) as the books.

Sapkowski also gave his permission to producers of some great 2001 TV series - should we take their script improvements as supplement of Geralt/Ciri story?

characters are the same, they even bring the same personalities from the books.
Yes, especially when they took some Yennefer's lines and put them in Triss's mouth

to quote Andrzej himself: "Imagine a tree. A willow, for example . And next to this tree, there is a cow, eating the grass around it. Now would anyone in their right mind call that cow "a continuation" of the willow? No, they wouldn't, because they are two completely different, separate entities."

Last edited:
Sapkowski also gave his permission to producers of some great 2001 TV series - should we take their script improvements as supplement of Geralt/Ciri story?

We are talking about the games, not the movies or the tv shows, anyone knows how badly developed they were. Would you say that the movies was well made as Witcher 3 then? There is not even a logic comparison in terms of quality and fidelity there...

to quote Andrzej himself: "Imagine a tree. A willow, for example . And next to this tree, there is a cow, eating the grass around it. Now would anyone in their right mind call that cow "a continuation" of the willow? No, they wouldn't, because they are two completely different, separate entities."

Anyone also know how's his opinion about games in general, so that has no relevance at all, of course he is gonna say something like that. So the first game doesn't happen after the last book, in a logic time line? And the second and third game aren't a continuation from the first game? In the games, all the events in the books happened, being canon or not, if it wasn't so they wouldn't have the same personalities and wouldn't mention events of the books. Yes, there are differences, not only that but also Philippa is alive, for example. But would you say that is that different from the books? One who read the books wouldn't recognize the characters? And like I said, the storytelling isn't everything, there is also the huge thing called lore, which occurs to be exactly the same...

Would you say that the movies was well made as Witcher 3 then?

So if adaptation is good it can be considered as canon/ continuation and if it's bad it cannot? What kind of logic is this?

there is also the huge thing called lore, which occurs to be exactly the same...

It occurs to be exactly the same in TV series, and comic books also.

I want to stay in the topic, so I'll just quickly add : Yennefer FTW ! ::)

So if adaptation is good it can be considered as canon/ continuation and if it's bad it cannot? What kind of logic is this?

In the first place it doesn't makes any sense bring the movies as we are talking about the games and if they are a continuation, they are very different things. Yes, he gave his permission to both, but their similiraty ends there. The game is a master piece who represents with a lot of fidelity, mainly in terms of quality of the storytelling but also the lore, what was wrote by Sapo in another media. The movies doesn't reprent 10% of the greatness of the original storytelling quality and the lore, they were shitty low budget movies made without much effort. They should represent the lore, but it can't. Just take a look at the costumes, weapons, the golden dragon CGI and cast... It's not a matter of good or bad, it's a matter of representation AND quality.

Which one do you think that is closer to the greatness in terms of quality of the original work? Which one do you think that is as great in storytelling compared with the books? Which one do you think that portrays better what Sapo created? How can you compare such an amazing saga of novels as The Witcher and one of the best games ever made as W3 to those (with all do respect) shitty low budget with terrible actors and CGI effects movies that no one watched? It doesn't makes any sense. There are people who consider the movie an "abomination" compared to the amazing original work. Different from the movie producers, CDPR putted a lot of effort to make it as good as the books and as close as possible to the greatness of the original work, that's a logical way to compare and this is exactly why I said you can't put the games as an ordinary "fan-made", like it's the same thing as the movies. There is an obvious difference between a shitty fan-made movie and a master piece who pratically represents the books in a 3D world, and that is very close to the greatness of the original work...

It occurs to be exactly the same in TV series, and comic books also.

Now you are bringing another media lol. The comic books looks amazing, I read a little and I felt that the original work was represented there, including the lore and characters. But, do you ever watched the movies? I didn't, but as far as I know there are tons of holes not only in the script quality but also in the lore representation, probably cause of the low budget. Including swords, costumes, characters development, the shitty special efects etc etc. So no, the lore representation is poorly portrayed and W3 is in another level when it comes to lore representation.

Last edited:
. So no, the lore representation is poorly portrayed and W3 is in another level when it comes to lore representation.

There are dozens of places where games twist the lore (White Frost and Avallach are best examples).

All I'm trying to do is to find some objectivity - my point is clear: there's an original (books) and there are many adaptations - better or worse. For some reason you say that the adaptation you like is legit, and other adaptations are not. So going back to topic, gamer have all right to make choice Yennerfer/Triss or any other choice, like there wouldn't be anything else in witcher universe but CDPR games - for one simple reason - Sapkowski sells the rights to basically everyone who pays him, and hedoesn't give a shit about the rest (so far, beacause there are some signs that he's in good relationship with Bagiński so maybe a new movie will be consulted by him), 'cause books are books, and only them contains an original story.

For some reason you say that the adaptation you like is legit, and other adaptations are not.

No, that's definetely not what I said. Sorry, but you need to read it again... I talked about representation and quality, you simply can't compare the fidelity in W3 with the movies (aka abomination) you mentioned. Yes, there are differences because it is an adaptation, it doesn't need to be 100% accurate. No one is saying that. But still, the game is the non-canon work who better represents the original saga, mainly when it comes to the quality in the storytelling of Sapo. To me, the logic is cristal clear.

Anyway, don't why you brought the movies. The game is the main subject here, like I said both had Sapo's permission and their similarity ends there. He can give me permission to do a shitty homemade movie, doesn't mean is gonna represent the novels as good as W3. But saying that the games aren't a continuation from the books sounds nuts to me :p

So going back to topic, gamer have all right to make choice Yennerfer/Triss or any other choice

Of course they have, they payed for that right. There are people who read the books and still prefer Triss, just as there are people who never read them and prefers Yen. That's a personal choice.

Top Bottom