Yen , The Emperor and The Lodge

+
Yen , The Emperor and The Lodge

Okay been away from the game a while but starting this play through a few things hit me that involve speculation and have been discussed in other threads but never tied together . Yen being in Nilfgard was discussed but the simplest solution was before our eyes without it ever being approached . Without a lot of info speculation was around Yen being imprisoned on one view . Something hit me when Geralt gets his audience with Emyhir . Yen wasn't a prisoner per say she was the mother figure to Ciri and the Emperor wanted as much info as he could get from Yen about Ciri as a father and if his plans were to get Ciri into his life harming Yen would not bode well . Yen not being stupid took every advantage of it . Yen could give the Emperor names of Lodge members whether confirming his info which is more plausible than out right dropping names . This becomes problematic though when you consider he was starting to gather up members of the Lodge in Witcher2 . It is easy enough to get around this because the Lodge didn't know Yen was alive . The gathering up .of Lodge members was I think a means to find out what they know of his plans and if they could be used in his court even though this was after the assassination of Foltest .

The Emperor got the info he wanted through the Witchers he hired because he went through with the assassination of Foltest . I think that his attempt at gathering the Lodge members also gave him the picture of the Lodge being in disarray and made it easy to pin Foltest's assassination on them because they were already behind another . Also rather than wait for any info he may have gotten from Lodge members he gathered he starts the invasion . Now the outlier here was Radovid if he was a little less rabid mages in general would have been in the war . This also made the request from Yen for amnesty for the Lodge a no brainer for the Emperor because if all else fail he would just get rid of the Lodge . I think Ciri showing up also helped change the Emperors focus of how he could use Yen to more of a go get Ciri he would wait and see what he would do with Yen after she brought in Ciri . You would have to figure Yen was near the end of her rope just before Ciri showed up . The Emperor was also aware that Geralt was alive and well because the first assassination attempt of Foltest went sour . The Emperor probably couldn't have been happier when Geralt was hauled away to the dungeon .

The lack of story nothing really gets resolved with these three but it is kind of fun trying to figure out where it all started to unravel and how it all began .

Guest 3847602

So, if I understand correctly, you mean to say that Emhyr initially wanted to use sorceresses as allies, but Letho informed him the Lodge was in such disarray that he decided it's not worth it?
If that's the case, I think you've missed a few details:
- Emhyr didn't know of the Lodge before Yennefer was captured; they used Nilfgaardian mages to extract informations from her since she had amnesia at the time
- Emhyr, Vattier and Letho planned from the start to use the Lodge's resources for assassinations, then lay the blame on them
- Lodge was not at disarray before Foltest's assassination

Last edited by a moderator:
Vattier, hard at work:
Another Cunning Plan.jpg

ooodrin;n9523071 said:
So, if I understand correctly, you mean to say that Emhyr initially wanted to use sorceresses as allies, but Letho informed him the Lodge was in such disarray that he decided it's not worth it?

I don't think I was clear when Yen was in Nilfgard she was able to drop names seeing how she was away for so long she wouldn't have known what was going on in the North . Given that the Emperor would only need to say it was for negotiation purposes he wouldn't have to tip his hand to Yen . Letho was the middle man for this by process of elimination Shelia and Phillippa contacted and the failed attempt on Foltest . The gathering up of a few of the Lodge started after the assassination of Foltest and yes he was treating them like traitors but was trying to find out what they knew . In the same token he would also be able to extend an olive branch to them if they cooperated . The only thing that prevented that was Geralt because he was trying to clear his name started uncovering the plots and sub plots . The invasion was going to happen either way it was just sped up a little to prevent all news of Nilfgard involvement of the assassination of Foltest . The planning started before he knew anything about the Lodge yes and also the deal with the elves took a key player out of the Lodge's scheming to a degree . Disarray may be the wrong word over extended is more like it considering not all members of the Lodge knew what was going on . The events unfolded quicker than planned because of Geralt but you also can't forget that Radovid was the wild card . If the summit went according to plan it would have been a different war . Pinning everything on the Lodge was a bonus in the end . The demise of the Lodge was secured before the first assassination . If there was a chance for any kind of peaceful solution it ended at the summit . Letho's disclosure at the summit nailed the Lodge to the wall and his discussion with Geralt about the Emperor's involvement would not see the light of day because of the invasion .

Guest 3847602

Riven-Twain;n9525441 said:
Vattier, hard at work:

dmcaldw;n9525891 said:
I don't think I was clear when Yen was in Nilfgard she was able to drop names seeing how she was away for so long she wouldn't have known what was going on in the North . Given that the Emperor would only need to say it was for negotiation purposes he wouldn't have to tip his hand to Yen . Letho was the middle man for this by process of elimination Shelia and Phillippa contacted and the failed attempt on Foltest . The gathering up of a few of the Lodge started after the assassination of Foltest and yes he was treating them like traitors but was trying to find out what they knew . In the same token he would also be able to extend an olive branch to them if they cooperated . The only thing that prevented that was Geralt because he was trying to clear his name started uncovering the plots and sub plots . The invasion was going to happen either way it was just sped up a little to prevent all news of Nilfgard involvement of the assassination of Foltest . The planning started before he knew anything about the Lodge yes and also the deal with the elves took a key player out of the Lodge's scheming to a degree . Disarray may be the wrong word over extended is more like it considering not all members of the Lodge knew what was going on . The events unfolded quicker than planned because of Geralt but you also can't forget that Radovid was the wild card . If the summit went according to plan it would have been a different war . Pinning everything on the Lodge was a bonus in the end . The demise of the Lodge was secured before the first assassination . If there was a chance for any kind of peaceful solution it ended at the summit . Letho's disclosure at the summit nailed the Lodge to the wall and his discussion with Geralt about the Emperor's involvement would not see the light of day because of the invasion .

It seems probable that Letho was supposed to investigate sorceresses' knowledge about Nilfgaardian war preparations, but I don't think any kind of cooperation with them was on Emhyr's mind.
Letho explicitly said their plan was to kill as many rulers as they could, lay the blame on the sorceresses, breed chaos, soften the North before the invasion. He also said he was trying to frame Sheala for assassination of Esterad Thyssen when she asked him to kill Demavend.

ooodrin;n9526891 said:
It seems probable that Letho was supposed to investigate sorceresses' knowledge about Nilfgaardian war preparations, but I don't think any kind of cooperation with them was on Emhyr's mind. Letho explicitly said their plan was to kill as many rulers as they could, lay the blame on the sorceresses, breed chaos, soften the North before the invasion. He also said he was trying to frame Sheala for assassination of Esterad Thyssen when she asked him to kill Demavend.

Emhyr's mind. Letho explicitly said their plan was to kill as many rulers as they could, lay the blame on the sorceresses, breed chaos, soften the North before the invasion. Forgot this point thanks for that this makes his going after Lodge members a little more sinister . One to find if anymore were in in Nilfgard and two eliminate those that pose a threat . That would also mean Yen was close to her end and Ciri showing up changed all of that . If Emyhr was keeping Yen around for locating Ciri then keeping a person Ciri trust would be important . Yen getting the amnesty for the Lodge also tells me she had built up trust with Emyhr but knowing how he is if Yen didn't start getting results she would have been eliminated . Any way you slice it the Lodge was doomed . I also think then it mean he was also looking to keep some alive if he found out their involvement state affairs was lacking .

Lets see if it can be summed up the Yen was being used by Emperor for information on Ciri and possible ways to track her down . Whether she did or not dropping a few names of the Lodge to garner favor would be more than accurate than saying his spies found out everything . Geralt stopping the assassination attempt forced the Emperor to go to plan B and pin blame on the Lodge . Plan B was going beautifully until Geralt got involved clearing his name .This started speeding events up forcing the invasion to start sooner . Letho exposing the Lodge at the summit triggered Radovid the Lodge had no way out . Don't know what the Emperor has for future plans other than the invasion Ciri showing changed some of his focus . Finding out later that Emyhr was going to get deposed if the war dragged on much longer . So most of the motivation turned to finding Ciri and looking for other avenues of ending the war .

Top Bottom