Yenn - Invocation needs a nerf

+
Yes, yes, the card is totally fine. Let's hope CDPR develops a 50 provision points card, that can be yoinked with 9 provision Invocation. All good. No problem at all. </sarcasm off>

The only issue I see with Yenvo is that it is a better heatwave and somehow costs one provision less, I think it should simply be a 10 provison card and it would be fine. Markus_Wirth neatly put out and positives and negatives with the card but in general I find it has more positives and it is why I always put it in my NG decks over heatwave unless there is some specific reason why not to in that particular deck.

The only issue I see with Yenvo is that it is a better heatwave and somehow costs one provision less, I think it should simply be a 10 provison card and it would be fine.
If Invo would work on artifacts, like Heatwave, then yes, it could cost 10p.

Bronze engines with no point ceiling need a nerf. There are a lot of things to complain about in the game, but NG never seems unfair, just a lot of toxic deck archetypes.

Bronze engines with no point ceiling need a nerf. There are a lot of things to complain about in the game, but NG never seems unfair, just a lot of toxic deck archetypes.
The bronze cards in question are almost always the ones with 6 provisions. For a while now, the design direction seem s to be to put these 6 prov bronzes on a massively high power level - easily overshadowing 6-8 point golden cards. Almost all factions have something on 6 provisions that is considered overpowered (or at least was at a certain point before nerfs).
As long as all factions have access to more or less similarly powerful options on 6 provisions, I'm fine with them being on steroids.

On a second thought, this has nothing to do with Yenn: Invo.

I hate Invo as much as I hate heatwave (and only really tolerate them because pointslam potential got out of hand recently), but yes, it kinda can't "steal valuable cards".

More often than not, you just don't have the luxury of stealing desirable targets when facing a meta deck. NG just doesn't have the same reliable bronze points other factions do currently outside of Blightmakers and Ilusionists (both of which can be very awkward), so most of the time you just can't afford to use Invo as anything other than a tall punish. And Fleders/Jackals aren't actually very desirable outside of a heavy Assimilate list. People who say "just mulligan it" clearly haven't played against the clog, and don't know how valuable a single mulligan is.

Granted, on paper, Invo has all the potential to be insanely broken. It has been. But not in a meta with so many broken bronzes easily going into 20-ies.

Meanwhile, I just trolled a NG player with an Invocation Nuke deck by playing the 4-provision Ofiri Merchant card to elegantly take my card back, whilst offering them a trash bronze to put on the top of their deck.
They were so out of it after that move, made them almost lose a card by letting the timer run out as well :D

The problem with Ofiri Merchant against NG is that they can usually get access to Duchess Informant to copy the merchant and switch the cards back.

The problem with Ofiri Merchant against NG is that they can usually get access to Duchess Informant to copy the merchant and switch the cards back.
But at least there is a thought process and creative thinking involved at this stage. Although not a foolproof strategy, it goes miles ahead compared to simply rolling in a tantrum on how unjust the world (and Invo) is.
On a sidenote, I really believe this comes down to the typical netdeck / copypaste mentality. Most are frustrated and angry for netdecks (yet they copy them as well with a very minor exception), and when a supposedly superb strategy or greedy play gets punished by cards like Invo, they simply break down.
I truly appreciate players who take the real step and try to overcome difficult situations and scenarios instead of crying for help and call something "unbalanced".

I truly appreciate players who take the real step and try to overcome difficult situations and scenarios instead of crying for help and call something "unbalanced".
So having opinion on a card being unbalanced and pointing out why that is, is now called crying for help.
Note that down folks, and remind yourself about it every time you decide to dare questioning the current state of any card.

So having opinion on a card being unbalanced and pointing out why that is, is now called crying for help.
Note that down folks, and remind yourself about it every time you decide to dare questioning the current state of any card.
Feel free to do so.

On a different note, the point is on actively trying to overcome difficulties yourself. I play the same game as you do, facing the same issues myself - yet I still have to find a single occasion where I'd go out and call Invocation anything extreme. Somehow I manage.

Feel free to do so.

On a different note, the point is on actively trying to overcome difficulties yourself. I play the same game as you do, facing the same issues myself - yet I still have to find a single occasion where I'd go out and call Invocation anything extreme. Somehow I manage.
It's not about you and not about how you handle this, because everyone is looking for their own ways of dealing with it. It's simply about the card. Just because people can find ways to play around it in a better or worse way, doesn't make the card any less ridiculous, and stating it openly is nothing wrong.

It's definitely a polarizing card. Sure, if you remove a 20+ points card you get "too much value" out of it. On the other hand (and this happens more often than you'd think), there isn't even a target with more than six points, making this an extremely sad card. The Invocation+Joachim combo only sometimes justifies its provision cost. And more often than not you lose one mulligan because of the "put it on top" thing. Sure, sometimes you will end up with a fairly good gold card, but often you just wanted to use Yen as tall punish and subsequently get punished yourself by losing one mulligan (which can be massive).

I'm at the point I don't even use YenInv anymore as 80% of the time the provision cost isn't worth it. I mean, if I have gone through the process of thinning my deck, the last thing I want to do is clog it up with the opponents crap. The only time this would be different would be if I'm playing an assimilate deck where I could get considerable additional value from it.

Top Bottom