Yennefer, Geralt and All Other Women

+
Hello, fellas,

First of all let me apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I have recently discovered Witcher 3 (much to my shame, I admit) and I am totally hooked in the story.

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS ALERT!]

After I made some progress in the game, I found out that Yennefer, among other things, is also a telepath. She can read Geralt's mind and she has done it on multiple occasions.
Now, I have slept with many women already, but I deliberately pushed Triss away, because I know she is Yennefer's close friend and Yenefer will find out.
But all other women in the game, with whom Geralt can sleep, are fair game, because Yenefer would not cause any problems.
How is that even possible, if she is a telepath?
Does she deliberately not poke Geralt's head about these things?
Can a telepath even choose what thought to read and what not?
Imagine being with one of the most powerful, mighty, extremely authoritative and possessing sorceress in the known world, who is also a telepath and not worrying that she might find out that you have, for example, shagged Keira Metz in the bushes?
How can you even be with a telepath, emotionally connected on the deepest possible level with him and he would not know your every thought always?
Either Yennefer is some kind of selective telepath and she cannot reach the memories regarding sex for some reason, or this is just a game storytelling oversight?...
Or am I missing something about her telepathy?

If you read the books you see that their relationship is kind of an open one.

Yen just doesn‘t seem to like it if it‘s with a friend of her.

I knew I was missing something...

It's good to be Geralt, I guess.
Still.... Yen doesn't strike me as a person, which would share him with anyone...
See, that's the thing - I haven't read the books and I don't have a context. And the game's narrative must put this context in the game for the people who haven't read the books. Otherwise it looks... odd.
I know I'm probably nitpicking, but I was really amazed by the storytelling up this point.
I thought to myself: "Man, Geralt has been with this woman for more than 20 years... How did he survive at all, if he was constantly having... some action on the side with other women and Yen can read his mind?..."

Actually their relationship in the books is not an open one at all. Yennefer got extremely jealous when he fucked other women, even while they were not together (Tea in Sword of Destiny, Fringilla in Lady of the Lake, Coral in Season of Storms). She doesn't care in the games, because it's a gameplay mechanic. In the books Geralt never cheated on Yennefer (except that one time with Fringilla, but that was a unique situation), so she had no reason to be pissed.

Zyvik described it the best: Just game mechanics.
The game cannot change to this fact. See it this way, next to Triss every sex in the game is optional, so Yennefer can only react to this one. It would change to much dialouges. So all the optional sex is no point of the plot to Yennefer.

I see.
But it could be cool, if the game tracked your decisions with the females, who can sleep with you and then flag them for Yen, so she can at least comment that you are an impossible pig and... teleport you to some nasty place. In the planet's core, for example.
And - poof, game over.
"Sorry, Geralt, your side actions have consequences, if you decide to romance Yennefer. She can read your mind, what were you thinking?!?"

if you are hardcore you can even let yourself believe that in all the bed scenes with triss they never had it. I think in the elven baths you can neglect it. But if you read the books and there says "they had s." so they had it. no doubts.

Top Bottom