Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
You know, they say sexual promiscuity is a side effect of being emotionaly damaged, (Yennefer and Geralt *cough, cough*)

---------- Updated at 11:54 PM ----------

It is like I always say: Quality, not quantity :cool:

I few people I talked to have a pretty good theory with good arguments that she was to leave Istredd anyway, proposal or no proposal.

I few people I talked to have a pretty good theory with good arguments that she was to leave Istredd anyway, proposal or no proposal.
of course she is. This is why she comes the that town. But she wonder Geralt reaction this situation. But Istreed says he wants Married her, her plans back-fired. and you know kestrel bla bla.. My opinion of course. :)

No, no, these guys say that it was never about choosing at all, even after the proposal, they said she got surprised, but wanted to leave him anyway, They have pretty good arguments actually :)

They have good arguments. Here, see this: Yep, she initially only needed 1 bird for dumping Istredd, but after Geralt couldn't say I love you out loud she sadly pulls a bird out of his arm signifying she will breakup with him as well.

Dumping Istredd was always the plan, that's why she went to Aed Gynvael for the farewell shag. His surprise proposal was a temporary wrinkle in that plan. It was never about deciding between the two, rather the whole event was a plot device to learn more about G+Y's respective insecurities and to see if Geralt could live up to the situation. That's why the climax of the story is their little heart to heart talk- melting shard of ice, queen of winter, his supposed lack of emotions and all that stuff. She just wants warmth and has baby fever while he's afraid of commitment so he lies to himself and others using the 'no emotions' excuse. The event serves as a crucible that melts away all fluff to reveal the truth- he's still an immature fuckboy who'd rather consider the passive-aggressiveness of suicide, and/or would rather duel another man instead of simply raising his game, living up to the situation, and committing to her like a grownup. She was basically committed to him, he just couldn't seal the deal. I see this in business deals all too often - people choke and can't sign on the dotted line or can't go for the jugular. She sees this so with surprise and sadness she leaves him for the moment.

All in all they both could've handled the situation better. I think that's what makes the story interesting - Sapko wanted Geralt to grow and here he is doing just that albeit at the size and speed of a snail. It's only after destiny smacks him in the head 3 times with Ciri encounters (and with Yen's urging at Belletyn) that he accepts his role as father. This does not go unnoticed by Yen who sees it as a positive sign of growth- "something more".

This one is from @semperwifi.

They have good arguments. Here, see this: Yep, she initially only needed 1 bird for dumping Istredd, but after Geralt couldn't say I love you out loud she sadly pulls a bird out of his arm signifying she will breakup with him as well.

Dumping Istredd was always the plan, that's why she went to Aed Gynvael for the farewell shag. His surprise proposal was a temporary wrinkle in that plan. It was never about deciding between the two, rather the whole event was a plot device to learn more about G+Y's respective insecurities and to see if Geralt could live up to the situation. That's why the climax of the story is their little heart to heart talk- melting shard of ice, queen of winter, his supposed lack of emotions and all that stuff. She just wants warmth and has baby fever while he's afraid of commitment so he lies to himself and others using the 'no emotions' excuse. The event serves as a crucible that melts away all fluff to reveal the truth- he's still an immature fuckboy who'd rather consider the passive-aggressiveness of suicide, and/or would rather duel another man instead of simply raising his game, living up to the situation, and committing to her like a grownup. She was basically committed to him, he just couldn't seal the deal. I see this in business deals all too often - people choke and can't sign on the dotted line or can't go for the jugular. She sees this so with surprise and sadness she leaves him for the moment.

All in all they both could've handled the situation better. I think that's what makes the story interesting - Sapko wanted Geralt to grow and here he is doing just that albeit at the size and speed of a snail. It's only after destiny smacks him in the head 3 times with Ciri encounters (and with Yen's urging at Belletyn) that he accepts his role as father. This does not go unnoticed by Yen who sees it as a positive sign of growth- "something more".

This one is from @semperwifi.
Thanks for that. Really good writing. I think Time of Contempt has critic moment. I love Yen and Geralt carried Ciri together and waited near her until morning. Shard of ice is transition story and Thanedd finishing this. Yennefer really loves him, really. But everybody dont understand this. sorry my english you know :)

---------- Updated at 12:28 AM ----------

I need to sleep :) Thanks everybody thanks your answers :)

My favorite explanation is this one, by @StandardEpiphany:

The main idea here is that Yennefer has been off and on in a relationship with two men, Geralt and Istredd, for a while. During her breaks from Geralt she went to Istredd, and vice versa. She has known Istredd for longer than she had known Geralt and while she doesn't truly love Istredd, he offers her stability and support. Istredd is a mature and well adjusted man, and as we see later on, he is not afraid of commiting to Yennefer, unlike Geralt. Despite this, Yennefer goes to Aedd Gynvael in order to leave Istredd. She had a kestrel prepared for him already.

However, her plan backfires when Istredd asks her to marry him during their tryst. When she is confronted by Geralt she admits that she considers Istredd's proposal because he is a dependable man who understands her and can support her should she ever need that. Geralt's unwillingness/incapacity to admit his feelings for her doesn't help the situation either. Yennefer loves Geralt and she knows that he loves her back (she can read his thoughts), but she also becomes aware of all the things that prevent them from having a normal relationship. Geralt doesn't know how to express his emotions properly while Yennefer craves love, warmth and security. She is demanding and selfish with a man who needs a caring and empathetic woman. They love each other but they are too emotionally damaged to function as a couple. Both of them feel unworthy of being loved, and that is a pretty terrible state of mind to have.

Yennefer has a revelation about her own difficult nature, her coldness, her self-absorption. She leaves both men in the end because she knows she cannot return their gifts, their love, their devotion. It would be unfair of her to continue to drag them into a relationship. She is a broken woman inside her fascinating armour of beauty and power and sophistication, a woman who has suffered a lot and has built a wall around herself. You have to give something to receive something, and she couldn't. She didn't even know if she ever could, if she even had it in her. She was deeply messed up emotionally at the time. And that's what she understands in A Shard of Ice.

I read this two times and Yes this is most realistic explanation :) Thanks for answering. I accept your decision, You are my best forum friend afterall :D

Thanks buddy, likewise :)

If you ever have anymore doubts, just PM me and I'll do my best to explain. Good night :)

---------- Updated at 12:47 AM ----------

@VigiTipsFedora. Hi there mate, I'm trying to send you back those PMs, but you have to clean your message box, I can't send anything else to you, it says your box is full. (sorry to post here, but there is no other way to talk to you since you can't receive anymore messages :) )

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...l-spoilers)-The-Revival?p=1960419#post1960419

This is a link from one of your posts with the PMs. I just realized I don't have the messages either, just this link you gave me :)

Last edited:
Thanks buddy, likewise :)

If you ever have anymore doubts, just PM me and I'll do my best to explain. Good night :)

---------- Updated at 12:47 AM ----------

@VigiTipsFedora. Hi there mate, I'm trying to send you back those PMs, but you have to clean your message box, I can't send anything else to you, it says your box is full. (sorry to post here, but there is no other way to talk to you since you can't receive anymore messages :) )

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...l-spoilers)-The-Revival?p=1960419#post1960419

This is a link from one of your posts with the PMs. I just realized I don't have the messages either, just this link you gave me :)
Thanks I have a lot of questions, but I cant read the last two books. When I read the book and then I'll ask you questions. :)

Considering process of creating Kestrel for Geralt I doubt Yennefer got one for Istred before coming to the town even before visiting him. And during their conversation she clearly says that she wasn't expecting Geralt to find out that she had sex with Istred. Something that tells me that she wasn't planning to leave Istred in the first place. Also leaving a note about gift that she cannot accept to person who failed to say I love you as many of you thinks it's a bit strange for me.

For me plot device isn't Istred himself but his proposal to Yennefer. This proposal changed a lot between all three of them. Again it's my impression but I don't see any hints that Yennefer was going to leave Istred and stay with Geralt. She mentioned him not once in conversations with Geralt when they were in town expressing high opinion about him. Also as Istred said she wasn't going to choose one of them as she needed both so... she leaves them. This also shows that she wasn't planning to stay with Geralt. More like she was going to play same game - be with Istred when Geralt is away and leave Istred when Geralt finds her.

Considering process of creating Kestrel for Geralt I doubt Yennefer got one for Istred before coming to the town even before visiting him. And during their conversation she clearly says that she wasn't expecting Geralt to find out that she had sex with Istred. Something that tells me that she wasn't planning to leave Istred in the first place. Also leaving a note about gift that she cannot accept to person who failed to say I love you as many of you thinks it's a bit strange for me.

For me plot device isn't Istred himself but his proposal to Yennefer. This proposal changed a lot between all three of them. Again it's my impression but I don't see any hints that Yennefer was going to leave Istred and stay with Geralt. She mentioned him not once in conversations with Geralt when they were in town expressing high opinion about him. Also as Istred said she wasn't going to choose one of them as she needed both so... she leaves them. This also shows that she wasn't planning to stay with Geralt. More like she was going to play same game - be with Istred when Geralt is away and leave Istred when Geralt finds her.

But if she wanted to maintain the status quo with both men, why create this whole mess and visit Istredd with Geralt in tow? Was the urge to shag them one after another so great that she risked her whole arrangement? If she wanted to quietly let one go, the situation makes some sense as a farewell shag. But wanting to quietly sleep with both of them in the same city, risk them finding out about it, then hoping to pursue the same kind of relationship with both of them, seems even less rational. I'm not saying it's not a possibility, Yennefer is a wild card at this point in the story, but still...

But if she wanted to maintain the status quo with both men, why create this whole mess and visit Istredd with Geralt in tow? Was the urge to shag them one after another so great that she risked her whole arrangement? If she wanted to quietly let one go, the situation makes some sense as a farewell shag. But wanting to quietly sleep with both of them in the same city, risk them finding out about it, then hoping to pursue the same kind of relationship with both of them, seems even less rational. I'm not saying it's not a possibility, Yennefer is a wild card at this point in the story, but still...
She said that when she was planning to go to the town with Geralt she was planning to visit Istred and she knew she will sleep with him :\ So, yes. She was going to town to see Istred while been with Gerald. What a crazy woman >.< Though it's Russian translate not original.

Last edited:
I know she planned on sleeping with Istredd, but why do it like this if she wanted things to remain as they were? Why not keep doing what she did before, get with one while the other was out of the picture?

Again, as a farewell shag it made some sort of twisted sense: screw him, leave him and move on. And if Geralt found out, she could have just said that it was one last roll in the hay and he would have probably been upset but understood, since he loved her and put up with everything she did. But if she wanted to keep them both, why jeopardize the arrangement by risking a confrontation?

Her plan was terrible either way, but it just seems to me that this interpretation is even less logical.

And during their conversation she clearly says that she wasn't expecting Geralt to find out that she had sex with Istred. Something that tells me that she wasn't planning to leave Istred in the first place

What does one have to to with the other? Yes, she was planning to leave Cuckstredd (lmao) and no, she hadn't expected Geralt to find out that she slept with the mage. One doesn't exclude the other.
More like she was going to play same game - be with Istred when Geralt is away and leave Istred when Geralt finds her.

It's like what everyone said - if that was her plan, she wouldn't have come to the town with Geralt, because that would be insane.
She said that when she was planning to go to the town with Geralt she was planning to visit Istred and she knew she will sleep with him :\

? Yes she was planning to visit him because maybe she didn't want to cut their relationship like that? Maybe she wanted to face him one last time before telling him that's over?(even if it meant having sex with him). Sending him a kestrel and that's it would be like our modern breaking up via sms . But she didn't expect one thing - that he would propose. And that's a problem because this little detail made her question her own attitude but also Geralt's who, as opposed to Istredd, couldn't open up about his feelings.

Last edited:
I don't believe in such coincidence :( When Yennefer decided to go to him and breake he made her proposal not year before not year after exactly same moment she wanted to leave him. But it's just my opinion.

I don't believe in such coincidence :( When Yennefer decided to go to him and breake he made her proposal not year before not year after exactly same moment she wanted to leave him. But it's just my opinion.

The talk Istredd had with Geralt about Yen not wanting to choose happened after Geralt's talk with her, and it's was during her talk with him that she chose to leave them both.

You said yourself, you didn't read the original polish version, neither did I but @xxgwxx
did, he is polish and read the polish version, If he says that it is there that she was going to leave Istreed, I have no doubt believing that. Anyway, since you don't want to hear us, ask @VigiTipsFedora, @semperwifi, @Sephira, @Gilthoniel and pretty much any of us, and we'll all say the same thing: That she was there to break-up with Istredd. That was the initial plan.

Last edited:

I believe it's a "coincidence" that is meant to move the plot forward by both generating the conflict between Geralt and Yennefer (and Istredd) that eventually serves as a wake up call for her, and showing just how out of touch she was with what was going on around her. The men in her life were offering her their commitment and/or love, while she was being a short-sighted asshole.

Top Bottom