Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
Hehehe wel your not the only one, I was late aswell but I do know the history of this forum *cough* .
Little bit off topic here but I just wanna share this opinion with you guys (real quicky XD). It's that I really liked the way Triss was in TW1 more, she's more like you know other sorceresses. Malicious greatly self confident etc. And like in TW3 it like she's completely raped considering any character development.

Anyways yes alot of people don't take the time to go in depth, I dunno why but I take it some are blinded and made up their minds completely, or it is just pure lazyness.
As Yen would have said: 'I usually devote my attention to every sentence uttered in my presence and note it in my memory. The one condition being that there be atleast a little sense in the sentence'

And you know why Triss from The Witcher 1 is like that? Because she is only Triss in apperence, her personality is Yennefer's personality, that's why. CDPR made a fusion of the characters called "Trissefer". But no matter, Triss will never be as beautiful as Yennefer. She will never be Yennefer, and for that reason, she will never have Geralt :)

---------- Updated at 12:56 PM ----------

I have a friend who plays TW3 for the first time, taking his time extremely slowly. He's the one who introduced me to the whole Witcher universe, and also to TW3 (yes, he really is taking it SLOW: he: 1/4 of the game done, me: on 6th playthrough.) He says that he "has read the books", though I am not sure which books he speaks of except that the early ones (Istredd, Villemtretenmerth short stories) have left a lasting mark on his perception of Yennefer. He also apparently watched the series on youtube, which obviously deepens these bad impressions of Yennefer.

I am not sure if he read Times of Contempt and later ones at all or is even aware that they exist. Or if he did, then he remembers things very wrongly. Just as an example: He's thoroughly convinced that Yennefer "was a founding member of the lodge". (dude.)

He played TW1 once, with Triss instead of Shani, and I think he did even the bathing in TW2 (he gave me a particularly odd glance when I ranted about how "precious magic resistance vs some silly sex scene was a no brainer").

In his mind, Yennefer is "the ex" of Geralt.
Triss is the new one, cute and reliable.

He agrees that taking advantage of someone's amnesia, withholding information and installing oneself as the shiny new love interest is despicable, but he'll make excuses for that behaviour of Triss when I have a moment of getting seriously pissed off about that part. (Which I do, I could rant on and on about that.) He'll argue with something like "yeah, it's low and egoistical, but not necessarily EVIL".

I warned him about some things in TW3, like "hey, delay Now or Never until you've at least talked to Yennefer for a bit" and that "I love you" are the magic words, while kissing and sex are nothing binding in TW3 (thinking that with that info, maybe, he might not decide against the unicorn scene just out of fear that this might mean a breakup with his precious Triss).

He's now early in Skellige, and his impression is that "Yennefer does not act like she trusts Geralt. She's always like "do this, do that, but I will not tell you why. Like I am not worthy to know her reasons. She does that all the time!" and this is apparently annoying him quite a bit.

I did hear a: "yeah, she really IS quite gorgeous" though, so we'll see. Should only take him another half a year to finish Skellige's main quest or so... ;)

I can't really blame him for what he felt after "A Shard of Ice",I felt the same way, I hated her for that, but then I came to the forums and people around here explained it to me. It took time for me to get the details and all, but eventually, I did.

As @Kallelinski told me:

I think they key points are:
- Yennefer wanted to dump Istredd from the beginning
- Yennefer was ready to commit herself to Geralt and she expected the same from Geralt, but
- Geralt wasn't ready to do the same
- Yennefer didn't know what to do and just left both for now, because she doesn't know how to handle those things, feelings and emotions

Geralt had one job: To say the words "I love you", but thanks to the doubts Istredd put in his head, plus his insecurities, he failed miserably. If he had done that, Yennefer wouldn't have hesitated in leaving Aedd Gynvael with him. As she herself said, she gave Geralt more than she had given any man EVER, and Istredd is part of this count too :)

Last edited:
And you know why Triss from The Witcher 1 is like that? Because she is only Triss in apperence, her personality is Yennefer's personality, that's why. CDPR made a fusion of the characters called "Trissefer". But no matter, Triss will never be as beautiful as Yennefer. She will never be Yennefer, and for that reason, she will never have Geralt

Omg you just opened my eyes! Thanks for the clarification!

:surprise:

Well, good luck with convincing him then, I feel you. But yeah, Triss fans always make up excuses for her behavior apparently.

The fun thing is that I was somewhat agreeing with him at the point of my Witcher progress which went like this:

- Started TW2, frustrated by combat, gave up somewhere near Flotsam
- Read early Witcher books
- Watched the series
- (long break from witchering)
- Picked up TW2 again, played it a lot.
- Watched the series again
- Started TW3, was in Novigrad
---> Read later Witcher books <--- Opinion change happened

- Read Yen's role in the book. Got a headache, thinking what they must've felt at the soul/life exchange with the Wild Hunt in the TW2 backflash movies.
- Heard Yen's "with the help of the Nilfgardian mages, my memory returned really quickly". Realizing that Geralt had in theory a mage at hand who could've helped just as easily right away. But who had other ideas.
- Connection "rose of remembrance was used by Phil in one certain manner" with "Triss manipulated me into gathering such a mindcontrol item for her???"
- Connection of "magical resistance at elven baths" and "bedded him with the help of a little magic".
- Noticed Triss xx Philippa in the later books. Yes. She pulled a Monica Lewinsky and slept with the big boss to get a spot in the precious conspiracy circle. Noticed Triss oh so innocent "other plans instead of Lodge" once in Korvir.
- Became seriously furious about that manipulative redheaded lying scumbag.

- Continued TW3 and witnessed the obvious emotional connection between Yen and Geralt
- the rest was a no brainer for me.

The feelings of repulsion and fury I have for the other option make me chose the antagonistic lines to her whenever I have the choice. Can't help it. I sure as hell won't bed that one in TW1 (even though my Geralt ends up as an avid sex card collector, which is a bit weird given my gender), I sure as hell won't waste any time rescuing her in TW2, and I sure as hell will make sure that Dijkstra gets key AND location of the treasure while enjoying the dialogue that happens if I do not give her the precious megascope crystal.

I better stop that rant right now.

*deep breath*

No, I do not want to convince him. I might drop the later books as gifts at him at some point though.

And I am curious about his thoughts about Yen and Geralt in TW3.

The fun thing is that I was somewhat agreeing with him at the point of my Witcher progress which went like this:

- Watched the series

- Read Yen's role in the book. Got a headache, thinking what they must've felt at the soul/life exchange with the Wild Hunt in the TW2 backflash movies.
- Heard Yen's "with the help of the Nilfgardian mages, my memory returned really quickly". Realizing that Geralt had in theory a mage at hand who could've helped just as easily right away. But who had other ideas.
- Connection "rose of remembrance was used by Phil in one certain manner" with "Triss manipulated me into gathering such a mindcontrol item for her???"
- Connection of "magical resistance at elven baths" and "bedded him with the help of a little magic".
- Noticed Triss xx Philippa in the later books. Yes. She pulled a Monica Lewinsky and slept with the big boss to get a spot in the precious conspiracy circle. Noticed Triss oh so innocent "other plans instead of Lodge" once in Korvir.

- Continued TW3 and witnessed the obvious emotional connection between Yen and Geralt

The feelings of repulsion and fury I have for the other option make me chose the antagonistic lines to her whenever I have the choice. Can't help it. I sure as hell won't bed that one in TW1 (even though my Geralt ends up as an avid sex card collector, which is a bit weird given my gender), I sure as hell won't waste any time rescuing her in TW2, and I sure as hell will make sure that Dijkstra gets key AND location of the treasure while enjoying the dialogue that happens if I do not give her the precious megascope crystal.

*deep breath*

No, I do not want to convince him. I might drop the later books as gifts at him at some point though.

It amazes me the fact that Geralt arrived in Kaer Morhen with amnesia, and the first thing that she thinks is "Yennefer is dead", and then "Now that the smug viper is out of the game, Geralt will be mine, I won't tell him about her", "He's finally mine.OMG! I want to have your babies Geralt. TAKE ME!

Have you guys noticed that by the end of The Witcher 3, if you romance Triss you pursue HER dream? While if you romance the Raven-Beauty they pursue Geralt's dream? Well, it was Yennefer's dream from the begining, but later it became Geralt's dream as well :)

- Watched the series

*deep breath*

Well I actually don't dislike Triss despite all her manipulative tricks. As I said my real problem with her is that I can't really see the Triss from the books in the games. In TW1 she is like Yennefer 2.0 (which I sometimes explain by thinking it's her way to seduce Geralt even though I don't think it was intended that way LOL), in TW2 you could think of her as the Triss from the books, I think. And in TW3 I don't even know who is that character they call Triss. It's funny how the devs said they wouldn't make Yennefer nicer because they wanted to stay true to the books (and God, am I glad they did), but they did the exact opposite with Triss. Which I really don't get.

It amazes me the fact that Geralt arrived in Kaer Morhen with amnesia, and the first thing that she thinks is "Yennefer is dead", and then "Now that the smug viper is out of the game, Geralt will be mine, I won't tell him about her", "He's finally mine.OMG! I want to have your babies Geralt. TAKE ME!

Have you guys noticed that by the end of The Witcher 3, if you romance Triss you pursue HER dream? While if you romance the Raven-Beauty they pursue Geralt's dream? Well, it was Yennefer's dream from the begining, but later it became Geralt's dream as well :)

I don't think they pursue HIS dream, I think they pursue both their dreams at that point. And that makes it even better! Clearly I can't imagine Geralt wanting to go to Kovir with Triss...

Last edited:
Pardon the question, but is this the Triss-bashing thread? Or do I have to go further down to the right?

Because the title says Yennefer of Vengerberg, and there's a picture of her on the first page looking like she can't remember if she left the troll dick on the nightstand on the morning the cleaning lady came to vacuum the carpets, and yet here I am reading about Triss Merigold fucking Phillipa Eilhart to get a position in the Lodge... My tiny woman mind is confuzzled...

Last edited:
Pardon the question, but is this the Triss-bashing thread? Or do I have to go further down to the right?
I wish I knew of such a place. Bottling up all the fury is not healthy.

When it's down to the state that I break off TW2 or TW1 playthroughs because of certain scenes, because the sight of it makes me feel physically sick, then the fury bottling does seem counterproductive. Oh well.

While if you romance the Raven-Beauty they pursue Geralt's dream? Well, it was Yennefer's dream from the begining, but later it became Geralt's dream as well
Yup, noticed that they get to live boths' dream. :)

Last edited:
Well I actually don't dislike Triss despite all her manipulative tricks. As I said my real problem with her is that I can't really see the Triss from the books in the games. In TW1 she is like Yennefer 2.0 (which I sometimes explain by thinking it's her way to seduce Geralt even though I don't think it was intended that way LOL), in TW2 you could think of her as the Triss from the books, I think. And in TW3 I don't even know who is that character they call Triss. It's funny how the devs said they wouldn't make Yennefer nicer because they wanted to stay true to the books (and God, am I glad they did), but they did the exact opposite with Triss. Which I really don't get.

I don't know why would they ever make Yennefer "nicer", she already is very nice, unless you start acting stupid and all, otherwise she's pretty adorable (Around Geralt and Ciri of course)

I wish we had more time with Zoltan and Dandelion in The Witcher 3, I really like them, they are both pretty funny :)

---------- Updated at 02:14 PM ----------

I just hope the characters they will add in Blood and Wine are as nice as the ones from Hearts of Stone. At first, I didn't really like Olgierd, but by the end I actually simpathyzed with him.

Well CDPR did not let us down yet, doubt they will do it now :)

I don't know why would they ever make Yennefer "nicer", she already is very nice, unless you start acting stupid and all, otherwise she's pretty adorable (Around Geralt and Ciri of course)

I wish we had more time with Zoltan and Dandelion in The Witcher 3, I really like them, they are both pretty funny :)

Well the important point here is the "unless you start acting stupid". I personally love this kind of strong female characters so I immediately loved Yen and the more I learned about her in the game first and then in the books, the more I loved her. But when you haven't read the books, if you don't like that kind of character then you "start acting stupid" and you only get the tougher side of Yen, which, once again if you don't like that kind of character only makes things worse etc... So I think she can be hard to understand, and according to an interview I read, that's the way CDPR intended her to be.

Last edited:
Well the important point here is the "unless you start acting stupid". I personally love this kind of strong female characters so I immediately loved Yen and the more I learned about her in the game first and then in the books, the more I loved her. But when you haven't read the books, if you don't like that kind of character then you "start acting stupid" and you only get the tougher side of Yen, which, once again if you don't like that kind of character only makes things worst etc... So I think she can be hard to understand, and according to an interview I read, that's the way CDPR intended her to be.

Well, it's like they say, it takes a King to love a Queen :)

A friend of mine once complained about the way she talked to Geralt when he arrived in Kaer Morhen. It's more than understandable in my opinion, Lambert and Eskel took a week to do what she asked them to, even tho they knew it could be Ciri, Vesemir started hammering by the crack of dawn UNDER her window, three crystals of her megascope exploded, and one of them Geralt even saw explode and he comes with "Decided to blow us up?"

And she only says "Geralt, I'm sorry, but I'm in no mood for jests". She was pretty polite and calm about her answer actually. Geralt could try to be nicer with her you know, instead of being the "smart-ass". We see it all the time in the game how adorable she is with him when he is sweet and kind to her, like their playful banter in Freya's Garden :)

I prefer Yennefer actually if I do chose the questioning/doubting dialogue lines rather than the agreeable ones. The way the two of them argue (as long as they're a couple, that is) is fabulously written and acted. She's written as someone mature enough to listen to criticism and doubt, and while at times being a bit hurt about it, will not go onto a crying fit because of it.

Really nicely written.

That was a huge part of how the game then set my mind about that in addition to the other clues. I started out as a very doubtful and mistrusting Geralt in that first playthrough; after the bad impression by early books, tv series, and in White Orchard with that Nilfgardian gang of bodyguards. And then their bantering communication style in Skellige was what convinced me.

The agreeable, somewhat oddly fanboyish and totally trusting dialogue lines just don't work for me.

"You smell great" - "Thanks, but we're on a funeral (and you're weird and behave inappropriately, Geralt.)"... meh
"You knew Bran?" - "Yes. (there she lights up) [adds information about political situation and stuff]"... :wub:

I prefer Yennefer actually if I do chose the questioning/doubting dialogue lines rather than the agreeable ones. The way the two of them argue (as long as they're a couple, that is) is fabulously written and acted. She's written as someone mature enough to listen to criticism and doubt, and while at times being a bit hurt about it, will not go onto a crying fit because of it.

Really nicely written.

That was a huge part of how the game then set my mind about that in addition to the other clues. I started out as a very doubtful and mistrusting Geralt in that first playthrough; after the bad impression by early books, tv series, and in White Orchard with that Nilfgardian gang of bodyguards. And then their bantering communication style in Skellige was what convinced me.

The agreeable, somewhat oddly fanboyish and totally trusting dialogue lines just don't work for me.

"You smell great" - "Thanks, but we're on a funeral (and you're weird and behave inappropriately, Geralt.)"... meh
"You knew Bran?" - "Yes. (there she lights up) [adds information about political situation and stuff]"... :wub:

I see your point, and respect your opinion a lot, but I prefer the "You smell wonderful bit", because it really feels like something book Geralt would do. A compliment from out of nowhere, completely out of time and out of place. No better way to know it was sincere :wub:

But yes, that is something I completely adore about Yennefer, she is mature, a grown, independent and strong woman. My favorite kind of woman :)

Well, it's like they say, it takes a King to love a Queen :)

A friend of mine once complained about the way she talked to Geralt when he arrived in Kaer Morhen. It's more than understandable in my opinion, Lambert and Eskel took a week to do what she asked them to, even tho they knew it could be Ciri, Vesemir started hammering by the crack of dawn UNDER her window, three crystals of her megascope exploded, and one of them Geralt even saw explode and he comes with "Decided to blow us up?"

And she only says "Geralt, I'm sorry, but I'm in no mood for jests". She was pretty polite and calm about her answer actually. Geralt could try to be nicer with her you know, instead of being the "smart-ass". We see it all the time in the game how adorable she is with him when he is sweet and kind to her, like their playful banter in Freya's Garden :)

That part in the garden was so good, absolutely loved Yen's smile at the end of it! Really nice especially considering the drama that came after. And yes, Geralt is sometimes asking for trouble xD

Really nicely written.

I like both dialog options and both sides of Yen. I was just saying that people who don't like the "bitchy" side of Yen would certainly like her more if they tried to be nice to her.

Last edited:
I like both dialog options and both sides of Yen. I was just saying that people who don't like the "bitchy" side of Yen would certainly like her more if they tried to be nice to her.

Hehehe Yes when Geralt is saying: Wanna run away with you etc If you look at Yennefer's expression, her head bending a little down naaaaaaaaaw X3

Hehehe Yes when Geralt is saying: Wanna run away with you etc If you look at Yennefer's expression, her head bending a little down naaaaaaaaaw X3

Geralt: Haven't seen each other in 2 years. I want a solitary cottage by the sea. Wanna lock myself inside with you, stay there for a week.

Yennefer: And what would we do there for a week?

Geralt: Got so many ideas.

Yennefer: The one with the rope you use for trophies. That one seems interesting...

Geralt: Reading my mind again?

Yennefer: Humm. And what's more, I like what I see :wub:

---------- Updated at 03:19 PM ----------

Geralt: Come to the wake with me?

Yennefer: Gladly. Feasts in Skellige, so predictable. Slobbering drunks, brazen boasting and the inevitable row that results.

Geralt: Yeah. Nothing like the ones mages attend. Remember the one on Thanedd?

Yennefer: You were there. How could I forget? I also remember excruciatingly well what happened after the banquet...

Geralt: Haven't seen each other in 2 years. I want a solitary cottage by the sea. Wanna lock myself inside with you, stay there for a week.

Yennefer: And what would we do there for a week?

Geralt: Got so many ideas.

Yennefer: The one with the rope you use for trophies. That one seems interesting...

---------- Updated at 03:19 PM ----------

Geralt: Come to the wake with me?

Yennefer: Gladly. Feasts in Skellige, so predictable. Slobbering drunks, brazen boasting and the inevitable row that results.

Geralt: Yeah. Nothing like the ones mages attend. Remember the one on Thanedd?

Yennefer: You were there. How could I forget? I also remember excruciatingly well what happened after the banquet...

What happened after the banquet was..... :heart:
These 2...

Yennefer: Damn. I tore a hole in my dress. Wait a minute, I must mend it.

Geralt: You know how to sew?

Yennefer: Please. I'll enchant a needle.

Geralt: (Picks Yennefer up and put her in the table)

Yennefer: (Starts purring like a kitty cat)

Yennefer: Wait!

Geralt: For what?

Yennefer: We must talk to Crach.

Geralt: Why? Think he misses us? Because I missed you.

Yennefer: (purrs like a kitty cat again and looks at the unicorn)

Geralt: Oh no.

Yennefer: I missed you too.

Geralt: When are you finally gonna burn this piece of junk?

Yennefer: My heart couldn't take it. So many memories.

Geralt: (Rips her panties off with his teeth).

Yennefer: Damn Geralt. Do you have any idea how much they cost?

Geralt: We gotta hurry, Crach's waiting.

Yennefer: Is that so? (starts purring again and completely gives in to his caresses and kisses)

Geralt: Yen, let go of the mane.

Yennefer: I know you. I let go and you throw us off.

Geralt: huuuhummm

Yennefer: Don't even try.

Geralt: (stares at his Raven-Beauty)

Yennefer: My oh my.

Geralt: Missed you.

Geralt: We ought to go back to the wake.

Yennefer: I must dress. Turn around.

Geralt: (does not turn around)

:wub::wub::wub:

Here's another set of different Yen dialogue styles that give me either a feeling of "meh" vs :wub: .. though not happening in the same communication. Don't have savegames ready to do precise quotes, but I am pretty sure you know where they're from anyway.

"45 seconds now" - "Yen, I adore you." ... meh. :ermm:
"I thought you'd be upset." - "Why should I be upset? You set out to do something. And you won. I am glad." ... :wub:

I know what you mean about him being prone to hand out awkward compliments at inappropriate times and in inappropriate ways. It's just my perception and preference. :)

In the quoted dialogue above by you @zappy3 , I like both options. They're both adorable and cute. :wub:

And yes, I am aware that I am not really roleplaying that book-Geralt of Rivia when for instance I let Dijkstra get treasure and the key. That is very much out of book-character. But also not when I am collecting sex cards off a bunch of vampires or anything that doesn't run away. Or when I quickly end up being filthy rich instead of being permantly a pauper ... and still keep doing more looting, questing and contracting instead of finally stopping that hated Witcher business as soon as I have a certain amount of wealth that's more than enough to settle down. Yikes, or the disturbing "I am a Gwent addict" thing. No, not book-Geralt.

I also don't run off and go sulking, when I don't know how to tell my team that I am unhappy with something, though. ;)

Last edited:
And yes, I am aware that I am not really roleplaying that book-Geralt of Rivia when for instance I let Dijkstra get treasure and the key. That is very much out of book-character. But also not when I am collecting sex cards off a bunch of vampires or anything that doesn't run away. Or when I quickly end up being filthy rich instead of being permantly a pauper ... and still keep doing more looting, questing and contracting instead of finally stopping that hated Witcher businessa as soon as I have a certain amount of wealth that's more than enough to settle down.

I didn't mean to say you're playing the "wrong" Geralt, I like to try to do everything book Geralt would do. But simply by choosing Yennefer instead of Triss, you're already playing book Geralt right :)

Yennefer: Damn. I tore a hole in my dress. Wait a minute, I must mend it.

Geralt: You know how to sew?

Yennefer: Please. I'll enchant a needle.

Geralt: (Picks Yennefer up and put her in the table)

Yennefer: (Starts purring like a kitty cat)

Yennefer: Wait!

Geralt: For what?

Yennefer: We must talk to Crach.

Geralt: Why? Think he misses us? Because I missed you.

Yennefer: (purrs like a kitty cat again and looks at the unicorn)

Geralt: Oh no.

Geralt: When are you finally gonna burn this piece of junk?

Yennefer: My heart couldn't take it. So many memories.

Geralt: (Rips her panties off with his teeth).

Yennefer: Damn Geralt. Do you have any idea how much they cost?

Geralt: We gotta hurry, Crach's waiting.

Yennefer: Is that so? (starts purring again and completely gives in to his caresses and kisses)

Geralt: Yen, let go of the mane.

Yennefer: I know you. I let go and you throw us off.

Geralt: huuuhummm

Yennefer: Don't even try.

Geralt: (stares at his Raven-Beauty)

Yennefer: My oh my.

Geralt: Missed you.

Geralt: We ought to go back to the wake.

Yennefer: I must dress. Turn around.

Geralt: (does not turn around)

:wub::wub::wub:

I'm sure Geralt secretly loves that unicorn :lol:
This part was perfect as well, it's so... them. And the way they look at each other :wub:

Here's another set of different Yen dialogue styles that give me either a feeling of "meh" vs :wub: .. though not happening in the same communication. Don't have savegames ready to do precise quotes, but I am pretty sure you know where they're from anyway.

"45 seconds now" - "Yen, I adore you." ... meh. :ermm:
"I thought you'd be upset." - "Why should I be upset? You set out to do something. And you won. I am glad." ... :wub:

I know what you mean about him being prone to hand out awkward compliments at inappropriate times and in inappropriate ways. It's just my perception and preference. :)

In the quoted dialogue above by you @zappy3, I like both options. They're both adorable and cute. :wub:

And yes, I am aware that I am not really roleplaying that book-Geralt of Rivia when for instance I let Dijkstra get treasure and the key. That is very much out of book-character. But also not when I am collecting sex cards off a bunch of vampires or anything that doesn't run away. Or when I quickly end up being filthy rich instead of being permantly a pauper ... and still keep doing more looting, questing and contracting instead of instantly of finally stopping at a certain amount of wealth that's more than enough to settle down.

The playthrough I prefer personally is the one where I play as "book Geralt". Plus I love how adorable Yen is when you play like that. I love that you see a side of her that only book Geralt can see. But some of the "OOC" options are nice as well especially regarding the conversations with Yen.

Top Bottom