Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
You know what still grind up my gears? The way the game itself treats the whole Geralt/Yen relationship and how it doesn’t want you to pursue such one, yet. It's like the game challenges you to question yourself despite knowing the truth all along, Geralt even shows it to you, you just need to follow his example.

Right from the beginning of the game you learn that Geralt can’t stop thinking about her and is looking for her out of love and bam, when they found each other, you clearly see that they missed each other, but the game doesn’t let you live it out yet. Instead the game force you to break you up again.

In the meanwhile the game tells you nonstop how bad that relationship is for you despite what Geralt or Yennefer did the whole time. Geralt never said a bad word about Yennefer, Yennefer never said a bad word about him, but pretty much everyone else in the game is badmouthing that relationship. Trying to make you insecure and how conveniently they even offer you an alternative, what great timing! Duh...

It’s like they want to put doubts in you and at the same time give you the chance to ditch Yennefer and go for Triss, which obviously worked for a lot of people. She is everything Yennefer allegedly isn’t and even more, which isn’t right, everybody who read the books knows that.

It’s like they are tricking you to think about, whether you REALLY want to go after Yennefer after all.

I mean look at her, she is never nice and always angry about you.” What? When? And even if she is, that’s not without reason. The same applies to Geralt.

You only wished for her love, that’s not real, it’s just a curse.” No? That isn’t what the wish was about. Geralt uttered that wish because of love and not for love, he wanted to save her life from the djinn and that wouldn’t have worked out, if he wished to be loved by her. The djinn would have killed her nonetheless. He bound his fate to hers, so the djinn couldn’t kill her. That proof of love moved her ice heart and started their relationship. She never believe someone would ever do that for her, but he did for reasons he couldn't understand back then.

It’s like they want to be really REALLY sure that you want to go after Yennefer, it’s like the game itself doesn’t want you to go after her. It's like a final challange for you, because Yennefer and Geralt already chose each other, the only one who might be unsure about it is you, the player.

However if you withstood the tricks and charms and land at Skellige, it’s like nothing of that ever happened for both of them, why? Because Geralt and Yennefer are already used to that. They are used to the fact that people are badmouthing them, that women try to seduce Geralt, that people bitch about how bad Yennefer allegedly is, that the whole relationship is toxic, and they don’t give a shit about that anymore, because they know better and that’s what you can see from Skellige on.

Still it was annoying as heck that everywhere I went people told me that she is bad for me despite knowing that isn’t true, but at least Geralt and Yennefer act exactly like they are used to be as you can clearly see from Skellige and onward. Why? Because that's what they want.

I hoped the game would make it easier for novices to understand what made Geralt and Yennefer so unique and those who can withstand those tricks and lies the game is telling you in the early game, they will and did so, but it’s such a bummer that the game had to do it instead of just explaining and showing what that relationship is made out without having to trick and manipulate you.

Sometimes I simply wished CDPR had ditched Triss in Witcher 3 just like they ditched Shani in Witcher 2 (and left out Yennefer for 2 games), maybe then it would have been a lot easier for all of us, because it drives me nuts sometimes that so many people have such narrow views on her and their relationship mostly based solely on the game and their allegations without even trying to understand the interactions Geralt and Yennefer themselves have, because if you take a look at it, it is anything but harmful, on the contrary most of the time those interactions are really happy, nice and you can clearly see that both enjoy their company. You don’t need to read the books to see that, it’s already in, ready to be picked by you, you just need to do it, let yourself in for a treat.

I know, I know, why should I even care, whether others understand that?

Because I was in the same state after playing Witcher 1-2 and before I read the books. I was ONE OF THEM and now look at me :p

I was also one of those, who didn’t know much about Yennefer, didn’t know about Ciri, didn’t know about their complex relationship, I was the Jon Snow of The Witcher. All I knew was that there is something much more than the games so far offered me and if you let yourself in, you are in for a great experience.

Now with Witcher 3 you do have the chance to get to know both and their relationship before even going into the books, something I never had, and if you keep an open mind in the game you will realize what those three (Geralt, Ciri and Yennefer) have in common even before you will read the books and you will not be disappointed, I swear it. The game already does a good job at it, if you let the game do that for you.

Look at me, I am more than a few years here in this forum, however only until Witcher 3 came out, I am so heavily invested to spread the word about this relationship, because the game made me so, because I want others to enjoy what they are missing out so far, what the game has to offer for them, what the books have to offer for them.

I am playing video games for more than 20 years now (got my first console with 8, Amiga with 9, PC with 10, internet with 12 and yes, the internet has ruined me :D) and not a single game made me do this, even games like Mass Effect/Dragon Age left me rather cold than interested, because they didn't offer me relationships, but only waifus. Sure, that was enjoyable for the moment, but nothing that lasted longer, not like The Witcher.

This game made me create this thread, create the other threads, create videos about it, I even learned to use Sony Vegas for this one:
It wasn't the books that did that to me, but the game and well maybe my tenacity, and yeah, I am probably a huge fanboy :D but not without good reason. Sapkowski made me fell in love with this universe and CDPR made me play in it, this combination is why I am here now.

The game doesn’t always make it easy to understand that, but who said it was to be easy in the first place? It's so great, because it isn't so simple, because it is so complex and multilayered. That's the reason why I love it and why other games (and many books, movies and series) suck in this regard, because they never understood that relationships aren't only about sex or only lovey-dovey scenes (still great though...).
Witcher 3 offers you a realistic relationship about two people (+ child) and not just another romance. That's something I have never seen before in a videogame.

Relationships aren’t easy, you have to work for them, but you do it because of your SO, that’s what this relationship is about, it isn’t perfect, but nobody ever claimed that. But because of the feelings both have towards each other, they want to figure it out and in the end they will. Why? Because they already did so in the books and did the same once again in the game. All you need to do is what Geralt has always done and enjoy what he is enjoying all along for +20 years.

Guest 3847602

I have to say I never paid too much attention on what other characters speak about Yennefer and her relationship with Geralt. It may or may not be related to CDPR's earlier plans for her, but as it stands now, it's just meaningless, pointless and both my Geralt and Yen have their skins thick enough not to care about their opinion.

Sometimes I simply wished CDPR had ditched Triss in Witcher 3 just like they ditched Shani in Witcher 2 (and left out Yennefer for 2 games), maybe then it would have been a lot easier for all of us, because it drives me nuts sometimes that so many people have such narrow views on her and their relationship mostly based solely on the game and their allegations without even trying to understand the interactions Geralt and Yennefer themselves have, because if you take a look at it, it is anything but harmful, on the contrary most of the time those interactions are really happy, nice and you can clearly see that both enjoy their company. You don’t need to read the books to see that, it’s already in, ready to be picked by you, you just need to do it, let yourself in for a treat.

Come on, don't go in there, The Witcher 3 is the RPG first and foremost, it's never a bad thing to have a choice and alternative on this subject, no need to force yours (ours) preferences on the others, despite the crap you can read from some of them. ;)

Agreed with the rest, I recently re-read all the books and replayed all the games and WHAT A JOURNEY it has been.
:geraltfeelgood:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with kallelinski but also with ooodrin

well, i n my casei have to say i dont care soooo much anymore. Most of the "anger/disappointment" is gone over time.
Sure, its still weird, it could have been better, no doubt, but after all this time...time to let it go .

Last but not least, im looking forward for the B&W Ending ;)

Because I was in the same state after playing Witcher 1-2 and before I read the books. I was ONE OF THEM and now look at me :p

I was also one of those, who didn’t know much about Yennefer, didn’t know about Ciri, didn’t know about their complex relationship, I was the Jon Snow of The Witcher. All I knew was that there is something much more than the games so far offered me and if you let yourself in, you are in for a great experience.

Now with Witcher 3 you do have the chance to get to know both and their relationship before even going into the books, something I never had, and if you keep an open mind in the game you will realize what those three (Geralt, Ciri and Yennefer) have in common even before you will read the books and you will not be disappointed, I swear it. The game already does a good job at it, if you let the game do that for you.

Hmmm, I don't really know what to think of your post. I agree.... and yet I don't ^_^

I'm one of these people who played the games before reading the books. I knew nothing about Yen, her relationship with Geralt or any of that when I started playing TW3. And I'll go further than that, I liked the first two games, in which I had romanced Triss, I liked Triss and before I started playing TW3 I considered Yennefer to be an intruder, a threat, whatever. I was determined to romance Triss in TW3 as well and just ignore Yen. Considering how passionate I am now, about Yen and the books..... this seems like such a long time ago.
But anyway, I started playing TW3. And it took Yen exactly 30 seconds to win me over. I knew right away that she was my type of character, I could see, right away that what she and Geralt had was something far more special than what Triss and Geralt could ever have. I loved the fierce woman that she was, I loved her wit, her independence. I loved the bad ass mother. I loved how vulnerable she was around Geralt. I loved everything about Yen. And all that without even romancing her (because, yes I'm stubborn so I did romance Triss in my first playthrough anyway).
And yes, then I finished my playthrough and read the books. And I fell in love with Sapkowski's writing, with the universe. I loved Yen, more and more more with every page I read. I thought I loved Yen's character in the games, but the books took it to a whole new level. She is by far the most well written character I have ever seen.
Well I'll stop talking about my love for the books before this turns into a VERY long post. But my point was : I never had that feeling that the game was pushing me towards Triss in my first playthrough, never. Quite the opposite actually. Every scene with Triss felt I don't know odd (feeling I never had in the first two games) while every scene with Yennefer, every interaction between her and Geralt felt so normal and right. And this, EVEN THOUGH I was romancing Triss. So yeah, ok, some (a lot of) NPC are telling you that Yen is a bitch and then what? I didn't care about any of that. At least they acknowledged her presence and what she meant to Geralt while none of them seemed to even notice Triss. So it only strengthened the feeling I had that Yennefer belonged there and that Triss didn't. Of course CDPR got some things wrong, of course sometimes they went too far (Djikstra commenting on the player letting Triss go is so OOC, the talk between Ciri and Geralt about him being with Triss is a huge joke etc....) but in the end, this game made me love Yennefer, this game made me read the books.
I'm well aware that there are also people who never understood Yennefer in the game, I know that there are people out there who are using the games in order to demonstrate that the books are bullshit, that Yen and Geralt never loved each other, that Yennefer is an awful manipulative bitch etc. But I think Yen wouldn't be a character everybody could understand and like, even without the games. I think that it is precisely the point Sapkowski wanted to make when he wrote the character in the first place and I think it shows that she is a well written, realistic character and not some kind of character written in order to make people like her. So yes, CDPR gave people arguments to hate on her that is true, they started a waifu war, that is also true, but they also did a wonderful job. I guess it was very difficult for them to find a balance between showing the newcomers that Geralt and Yen had a wonderful history behind them, but yet, still giving them the choice and not saying that Yen was "the only right choice" either, because yes, they did build an important story line with Triss in the first two games that they had to respect. It was not an easy task. Did they do it perfectly? Absolutely not. But I do thing they tried.

Guest 3847602

@Gilthoniel I'm not usually much of a softie, but that was:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kallelinski I completely disagree with the notion that the game is somehow pushing you to choose Triss, I would even argue otherwise. You also make quite a few assumptions about the reasons people may decide not to pursue the relationship with Yen. I speak from my own perspective here, but I never though Yen to be a bitch, I liked her personality from the start, I like her banters with Geralt, I like her determination, her willingness to do everything for Ciri, her intelligence, her sarcasm, and her character in general...and this was before I read the books. In the meantime I read them, started liking Yen even more, and even done a playthrough where I chose her(I enjoyed it quite a lot), honestly I can probably say more bad things about Triss than I can about Yen, however I still prefer Triss. It's a simple case of personal preference and I won't go into details here since this is a Yen thread. Imo, having a choice is a crucial part of Witcher games and I like picking the ones that make my own experience with the game more enjoyable, because at the end of the day, that's the reason I play them in the first place, not for Sapkowski, not for anyone else, but for me. It feels to me like you are a little too bothered because other people like making the choices you don't approve of, and I think that's stupid, even if their reasons are not always objective. For me, choices are a staple of Witcher games and one of the things that makes them so unique. I also completely disagree that some choices should be removed from the game because they don't fit your criteria or go against what you feel is realistic for these characters.

NPCs saying shit about Yennefer isn't a issue imo. In books she's also not the most beloved person in the world. When Geralt goes ask her for help they warning him about her, Dandelion didn't like Yen at first too...damn even Ciri didn't liked her when they met. Geralt is only wierdo who was fascinated by her from very first second :p So Cerys or Kiera comments about Geralt -Yennefer relationship seemed to be natural.
The one thing that really irritates me (except Avallah of course, but I was writing about that too much already ) is the fact that after W3 release it's hard to read sth on Internet about Witcher universe and not find few idiots who are twisting the lore that exist for 30 years now. I mean I had in school Romeo and Juliet as required reading and I found Juliet really boring, but I'm not twisting damn Shakespeare's tragedy:p. I can completely get the fact that people don't like Yennefer but when I read some interpretations of Sapkowski's books I don't know whether they are to stupid to understand simple fantasy book are are they stupid enough to spend free time trolling in Internet.

The one thing that really irritates me (except Avallah of course, but I was writing about that too much already ) is the fact that after W3 release it's hard to read sth on Internet about Witcher universe and not find few idiots who are twisting the lore that exist for 30 years now.

I agree with that. In Poland Sapkowski has special place in people's hearts so when someone is twisting the lore it gets really frustrating with me.That person only makes themselves a fool. The bear mode is on....

Last edited:
he fact that after W3 release it's hard to read sth on Internet about Witcher universe and not find few idiots who are twisting the lore that exist for 30 years now

the lore twisting are happening also on Witcher Wikia pages (international versions too) etc....twisting book lore is NOT ok... this and waifu wars are the worst regarding the Witcher fandom...

:(

I agree with that. In Poland Sapkowski has special place in people's hearts so when someone is twisting the lore it gets really frustrating with me.That person only makes themselves a fool. The bear mode is on....

haha no need to be polish for that :yes. But yeah I agree, I don't care if people don't like the books as long as they respect Sapkowski's work and don't twist everything... But it's really frustrating when they try to demonstrate that the books are bullshit... I mean the game wouldn't even have existed if not for Sapkowski's books, you'd think people would have some respect for that at least... And I've only been a fan for a few months, I can't imagine what it must be for people who loved these books long before the games were even a thing.

However I do think The game is to blame for the majority of these waifu wars and lore twisting, The game has created so many newer fans some of which having only played the Game that I feel they have a skewed perspective on the relationships between all the characters in the world. in an example of the Waifu wars the choice between Yennefer and Triss forces you to pick, which in turn creates this new community of "which one is better" Its sadly quite toxic because the choice someone makes ultimately doesn't matter and both characters are really awesome in my opinion, yet to the newer fanbase this is a major part of their fandom.

NPCs saying shit about Yennefer isn't a issue imo. In books she's also not the most beloved person in the world.

That's true but I still do think that the game exaggerated this issue. Like really. You have people bashing Yennefer just for the sake of it. Take Keira, for example - what does she know exactly about Geralt's and Yennefer's relationship? Is she witnessing a lot of it in the books or what? Nope. She even mentions that she "wishes that somebody loved her like that" (speaking about Geralt's love for Yennefer). It's like she says this because she can.

Cerys? She's oogling Yennefer like she's killed her mother with a pancake, even tho Yennefer doesn't do anything 'mean' to her or Geralt in her presence. Eskel says some weird (and untrue) stuff about Yennefer "tricking" Geralt before. Look, it's not that I care - because I don't. But it's a mechanic that definitely can (and does) put some players off her

I just don't like this type of thing. It's like the writing constanty reminds you : "Yennefer is mean. Look, she's mean. BUT REALLY YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT, SHE'S NOT VERY NICE. *5 minutes later* - In case you have forgotten - pls here is this random npc reminding you that Yennefer is MEAN. Not a nice lady, no no no "

Like..let me judge for myself. okay?

Last edited:
Top Bottom