Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
and doesn't mention what Geralt would do. he clearly stated that he would chase the sorceresses away with his sword if need be. that type of talk on part of Philippa-- threatening both Ciri AND Yennefer-- that's just ASKING for Geralt to go medieval.

Philippa's arrogance is really quite grating, it's really too bad there isn't an option for Geralt to off her. i mean, crap, there was an option to off -Keira Metz- for far, far less.

I was waiting for an option to kill her honestly. If Radowid wants her I will gladly take her to him. You right if you threating Yennefer nad Ciri in front of Geralt then you can consider yourself dead pretty much and you better kill yourself becouse Geralt will have no mercy.

That, and I didn't actually ever think that Yen's ambitions were about being Ciri's court sorceress anyway. Yen is not into politics and game of power, never has been.

But Phil just can't imagine anyone not being into these things, just like she herself is. Leave her to her delusions, I say. :)

It is also stated somewhere that Yennefer was a court sorceress to king Demawend III of Aedirn. But I am not sure if this is true though. Anyone who can add on this?

It is also stated somewhere that Yennefer was a court sorceress to king Demawend III of Aedirn. But I am not sure if this is true though. Anyone who can add on this?

‘Ah,’ began Vilgefortz slowly. ‘Now I know what I wanted to say. I’m thinking about those members of the Council who have had the least experience. Fercart and Yennefer. Fercart, as far as I know, is tied to Foltest of Temeria and sits on the king’s council with Triss Merigold. But who is Yennefer tied to?

You said, Artaud, that she is one of those who are serving kings.’ ‘Artaud exaggerated,’ said Tissaia calmly. ‘Yennefer is living in Vengerberg so Demawend sometimes turns to her for help, but they do not work together all the time. It cannot be said for certain that she is serving Demawend.’

‘How is her sight? Everything is all right, I hope?’ ‘Yes. Everything’s all right.’ ‘Good. Very good. I was worried . . . You know, I wanted to contact her but it turned out she had left. No one knew where for.’ Stone, metal, crystal, thought Tissaia de Vries. ‘Everything that Yennefer wears is active and cannot be detected using psychic visions. You won’t find her that way, my dear. If Yennefer does not wish anyone to know where she is, no one will find out. ‘Write to her,’ she said calmly, straightening out her cuffs. ‘And send the letter in the ordinary way. It will get there without fail. And Yennefer, wherever she is, will reply. She always does.’ ‘Yennefer,’ threw in Artaud, ‘frequently disappears, sometimes for entire months. The reasons tend to be quite trivial . . .’ Tissaia looked at him, pursing her lips. The wizard fell silent. Vilgefortz smiled faintly. ‘Precisely,’ he said. ‘That is just what I thought. At one time she was closely tied to . . . a certain witcher. Geralt, if I’m not mistaken. It seems it wasn’t just an ordinary passing affair. It appeared Yennefer was quite strongly involved . . .’ Tissaia de Vries sat up straight and gripped the armrests of her chair. ‘Why are you asking about that? They’re personal matters.

Blood of Elves

Guest 3847602

That, and I didn't actually ever think that Yen's ambitions were about being Ciri's court sorceress anyway. Yen is not into politics and game of power, never has been.

But Phil just can't imagine anyone not being into these things, just like she herself is. Leave her to her delusions, I say. :)

It's strange - Vesemir and Dijkstra also keeps talking about her meddling in politics (both in the past and in the present), yet we never see a trace of it from her anywhere in the game (and in the books, of course). :)
Looks to me like at first they planned something different and ooc for her but backed out at the last moment before the damage to the lore was done.

This is actually the only thing that really bothers me in Witcher 3. Yennefer looks, voice, how she speaks, tease and argue with Geralt. Everything about those little things are perfect, but CDPR did something really bad, they stick political plot to Yennefer. In game we have dialogues that speeks volume about Yen connentions to political games. Vesemir says that, even Geralt right before the last fight with Wild Hunt. The famous Ciri words, that Yennefer has some plans for her (sight). Lets be clear, from all the sorcereses in the entire Witcher saga, Yen didnt played with politics as much as say Phillippa. I would even say that Yennefer has little or even non interest in politics. Yes, she was one of the most important members of the mages council (before Thanned), but in the books i didnt really recall that this membership was so important for Yennefer. The only thing that Yen cares about is Ciri and Geralt. Thats it. Period. Who has refused Lodge membership in the blink of an eye ? Yennefer. She didnt even thought differently about it, it was a no brainer. The thing that Yennefer has, that makes her uniqe from all the female mages in the entire games and books, is her personal goal: help, raise, protect and rescue her daughter, Ciri. I dont know if CDPR didnt understand that, or they had more to show in game but couldnt (because time and resources). I think its a little of both. Point is, Yennefer does not equal politics, at least for me.

Guest 3847602

I dont know if CDPR didnt understand that, or they had more to show in game but couldnt (because time and resources). I think its a little of both. Point is, Yennefer does not equal politics, at least for me.

I think they did understand this, else we'd have seen her playing with politics at least somewhere in the game. As I see it, they were conflicted between having their original, new version of Yennefer that is interested in court intrigues, conspiracies, manipulations, etc (so they made these characters say these things) and having lore-friendly Yennefer we know from the books. In the end, lore-friendly portrayal won, but other character's perception of her was still in line with their original vision.
It's strange to hear them claim what they claim, but I don't really care about what Dijkstra, Philippa or Vesemir think or have to say about her. The only annoying opinion here is Ciri's (aka Blinky's :p).

For the reference about this "early Yen":

The story's core was nailed early on, and had the goal of bringing Yennefer and Ciri in where they had been excluded before. And it was to be more personal and less political, the lead writer Marcin Blacha tells me. "We wanted to make a game about a disabled family," he says in his low, ponderous voice. "There is Geralt and Yennefer and Ciri, and they're not like usual people, but they love each other. It's difficult love, but they do. We wanted to make an epic story about a family."

But around that were wrapped so many layers that things soon got out of hand. For instance, there were once more islands in Skellige, including one called the Isle of Trials, where you'd be imprisoned by none other than Yennefer. Blacha explains: "There was this moment when they had different goals and Yennefer made a trap for Geralt - I don't remember exactly what, it was something connected to Ciri - to imprison [him] for some time. She made Geralt a prisoner on that island, and Geralt had to escape from this island." Either you could escape by taking the eponymous trials of the island, or you could face off against a monster called Nidhogg (a name borrowed from Norse mythology, suggesting the monster was a gigantic snake of a beast).
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch

Last edited by a moderator:
For the reference about this "early Yen":

[...] We wanted to make an epic story about a family. [...]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch

Yeah... too bad they failed that goal prettly massively.

However, to be fair, we got a very good, sometimes absolutely epic father-daughter story (up until the infamous "papa Emhyr" thingie, that is), as well as an epic, charming, smart, ballsy, raven-haired sorceress running along the father-daughter story.

No "family" in sight, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

The complaint centers on the lack of interaction between Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri as a family unit. Instead it's pretty much just Geralt and Ciri. I'd blame this on the rushed nature of the final act.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-03-02-06-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-03-02-06-18.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_2016-08-03-02-03-35.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-03-02-03-35.png
    363.6 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom