Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
Yeah, just watched that "Cuffs" clip now, i was like "Yennefer??" lol. I just read what they originally had planned for her... omg no thank god they didn't do that. Yennefer loves and cares for Geralt just as much as she does for Ciri, you might think she doesn't because she doesn't search for him as desperately as Ciri but she trusts Geralt 100% therefor she knows that he will land on his 2 feet and figure things out himself, whereas Ciri is in grave danger and so she takes priority. "Imprisons Geralt"... what on earth is that "idea" lol? Yennefer would never do such a thing to Geralt, under any circumstances.

The thing about the politics, it's more she is dragged back into it due to the empire and stuff, to search for Ciri she needs to play the game with Emhyr, after all he did free her so she would find Ciri, Yen would of searched for Ciri regardless anyway but she has to play the game of court sorceress to keep Emhyr guessing you could say. Once Ciri is safe she backs out of it immediately and retires with Geralt, kind of like how Geralt didn't really want to play politics either (and sucked at it, Yen had to keep telling him off) but again once Ciri is safe he also backs out of Emhyr's 'service'. She was very relieved aswell to be done with politics, hopefully this time for good. "Finally i can stop thinking about politics and focus on what's important to me, thus is why i came here" followed by a smile from her :).

I cannot understand how some people love Yennefer so much. She shows such a selfish, spiteful and power-hungry personality much of the time. I think she is a great invention of Sapkowski but even in the books she's pretty awful. I think the only men to like such a woman would have some kind of emotional damage. So she is interesting to watch but impossible to like IMO.

I cannot understand how some people love Yennefer so much. She shows such a selfish, spiteful and power-hungry personality much of the time. I think she is a great invention of Sapkowski but even in the books she's pretty awful. I think the only men to like such a woman would have some kind of emotional damage. So she is interesting to watch but impossible to like IMO.

Ok I think you can't even imagine how many times that topic has popped up already, in the exact same words you use....

So I'll just post here a link to some tumblr post I made to answer that very question here you go

I was one of the people who disliked yenn because i didn't knew a lot about her, I've seen her action in game and refused to help her with the djinn, i got to admit that ive seen her as a monster and refused to see her good points ported in the game. Then ive seen this thread and it opened my eyes toward her, it made me do a 180 in the way i see her behavior and started to understand her actions and reasons.
What i love about yennefer is that she seems like a real person, she can be reckless and impatient. She love ciri in a way that make her do things that will punish her, because time is at the essence and she will take full responsibility for her actions. She forgave geralt and triss for their affair, geralt had an affair with her best friend. Yeneffer was triss's best friend years before she meet geralt, this alone tell so much about her.

Yeah im not even going to respond to you. I would take thousands of words to explain Yens deep, complex character properly so that you would understand her and realise she actually ISN'T selfish in the slightest bit, she isn't power-hungry at all either. Infact ill respond to these 2 statements briefly... So power-hungry you say? That's why she drops out of politics, plots in order to retire happily with Geralt, together, doing what they want, when they want and wherever they want. If she cared about power she would remain in her court sorceress position at Emhyr's court, or she would of joined the lodge.

Selfish you say? Am i reading this or do my eyes deceive me. Sacrificing herself to 4 months imprisonment because she wanted to find her daughter Ciri, Sacrificing her life to try and revive Geralt, Just like Geralt did in the books she used her one wish for matters of love and affection and not to gain power. Geralt could of asked for power but instead choose to save Yens life, Yen could of asked for power but instead wanted to be truly 100% in love with Geralt without the dark cloud over their head that it might be a side affect of a wish. Pinning all the blame on herself after Freya's garden and not letting geralt take any of it. why? She loves and respects and cares for him and doesn't want him to take unnecessary reputation damage for her actions. Many other situations she acts completely SELFLESS not Selfish but i cba listing em all off.

---------- Updated at 06:50 PM ----------

I was one of the people who disliked yenn because i didn't knew a lot about her, I've seen her action in game and refused to help her with the djinn, i got to admit that ive seen her as a monster and refused to see her good points ported in the game. Then ive seen this thread and it opened my eyes toward her, it made me do a 180 in the way i see her behavior and started to understand her actions and reasons.
What i love about yennefer is that she seems like a real person, she can be reckless and impatient. She love ciri in a way that make her do things that will punish her, because time is at the essence and she will take full responsibility for her actions. She forgave geralt and triss for their affair, geralt had an affair with her best friend. Yeneffer was triss's best friend years before she meet geralt, this alone tell so much about her.

She forgives Geralt but im not so sure if she forgives Triss. She already told Triss off about in the books and she does it again and this time even worse in the games. Geralt also lost his memory, yeah she doesn't like to look at that as an excuse but deep down she understands. Imagine for instance Yennefer had amnesia for 1 year and geralt found out she had been banging Eskel for the past Year until she regained her memory. Yes, you understand and can forgive, but it wouldn't exactly be easy. You wouldn't just go "Eskel been shagging my love? Ohh well Yen lost her memory" He would be pissed asf at Eskel for betraying him like that and with Yen he would be like "You lost your memory... whatever.. still disgusting asf you know this... eughh"

---------- Updated at 07:12 PM ----------

Ok I think you can't even imagine how many times that topic has popped up already, in the exact same words you use....

So I'll just post here a link to some tumblr post I made to answer that very question here you go

That post you have is good. But there is one problem, you make it seem like Yennefer is the bigger one to cause the mistakes when it actually the other way round. Geralt is one who she put her trust into finally after 60-70 years of being a sorceress (at this point, vengerberg) and Geralt is the one who ran away from her with but a simple letter, imagine how she felt from that? For her then to be able to get back with him when he suddenly shows up again, 4 years later? Absolutely remarkable. Just shows how much Geralt actually meant to her and how much she loved him. Yes, she didn't actually realise it was love that was bringing her back to him, she didn't understand why she is still connected to this man after the betrayal he did, but she was and we know from her later accepting that she can infact love somebody that she loves Geralt. That is why she was able to forgive him and get back with him. When Geralt however is incapable of confessing his love for her after she had decided to leave Istredd, she realises that i do infact love Geralt, but i can't enter a relationship with him if he can't admit it, i need that clarity to enter a proper relationship and i can't do based of Don't Knows. Thus is why SHE now in turns runs away from Geralt, leaving behind a letter. It just builds the characters and both realise how similar and yet so different they are and these opposites attract them to each other very deeply, the past they have been through and the situations they have both had to endured. It's one of the main reasons that bound them, that and also their daughter and their unparalleled love for each other :p

Last edited:
That post you have is good. But there is one problem, you make it seem like Yennefer is the bigger one to cause the mistakes when it actually the other way round.

Haha you obviously don't know me very well :p
I didn't make it sound like that because I don't think that at all. This post was about Yen and the reasons why people hated her so I talked about Yen's mistakes (because YES she did make some mistakes of her own, that doesn't make her less interesting or lovable or whatever).

Last edited:
Not even going to write a wall of text for various reasons, mainly because the answer is very simple: you have all the clues and details to like this character or not to. All is written and, literally contained and explained, in the books. Thing is that when you read a book you don't always grasp all the details, it's very common to assimilate only superficial details and sadly that's what happens with some of the readers with almost every character of this saga, despite the brilliant character development.

Pro tip: read the books.

Haha you obviously don't know me very well :p
I didn't make it sound like that because I don't think that at all. This post was about Yen and the reasons why people hated her so I talked about Yen's mistakes (because YES she did make some mistakes of her own, that doesn't make her less interesting or lovable or whatever).

Yeah bro im not arguing with you, she made a number of mistakes during the "early years" of Geralt and Yens relationship and i love her no less than if she made 100 more. She is my favourite character pretty much ever now. She isn't perfect, but neither is Geralt so why does it matter, there imperfections draw them closer. What matters is this, they both trust each other 100%, love each other 100%, respect each other to the core and they are confident that they have the best interests at heart for each other. Well, Geralt is in Yennefer anyway, I don't think Yen would trust putting her political Career in Geralt's hands, he can barely control his own "political career" without Yen propping him up. No wonder she wants to retire from it all ahahah. To live with naturally, peacefully and lovingly.

Last edited:
At the second time i played the game i tried to think what would i do if i was in yennefer shoes and something would thread my daughter, i got to admit that in order to help her i would burn every bridge and go to any length possible. She act in the most selfless way and in the most motherly way that i can possibly imagine. Ciri gave her a cold shoulder and she was generous, understanding and gave her a lot of breathing space.

She forgives Geralt but im not so sure if she forgives Triss."
How many real life woman will forgive someone for a year of relationship with her best friend, don't forget that triss told geralt about yennefer on the boat to foltsam (the question is what was the extent of her story). both of them treated each as something obvious in their life and rather poorly, but with a lot of trust and respect.

Last edited:
Nice double post Kappa. She has to forgive Geralt, she loves him and in the end, it wasn't his fault and Yennefer knows this, she doesn't like to think about and gets a little angry still with Geralt anyway, but can you blame her?

Sorry about the double post i had some connection problems with this site, removed the duplicate part.

Guest 3847602

I cannot understand how some people love Yennefer so much.

Reading this thread from the beginning would be a good start of understanding it. Just a thought... ;)

She shows such a selfish, spiteful and power-hungry personality much of the time.

Some would say that taking advantage of someone's amnesia, sleeping with their friend's ex out of curiosity and joining the Lodge of Sorceresses is selfish, spiteful and power-hungry. :p

I think the only men to like such a woman would have some kind of emotional damage.
No comment. :rofl:

BTW, nice to see you again, @zappy3

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally could not of said it better myself, i tend to go on long tangents explaining countless things yet i just start talking about Yennefer and then can't stop ahaha :D

Some would say that taking advantage of someone's amnesia, sleeping with their friend's ex out of curiosity and joining the Lodge of Sorceresses is selfish, spiteful and power-hungry.

Perfect way to shut him down, effectively 1 sentence and you explain it so well. Well done.

Reading this thread from the beginning would be a good start of understanding it. Just a thought...

Yeah, bit odd how he jumped to the end just to say that, probably a jealous Triss fan that Yen is the Canon love of Geralt, atleast if you play the game keeping as closely tied to the books as you can and making decisions that you feel geralt would make in the books.

No comment.

Yeah ahaha what the hell is he on about? Emotional damage for loving a caring, affectionate and deeply passionate woman who cares greatly about the love of her life and her daughter? Something must be wrong about that :what:

There is no need to be rude - maybe you like Yennefer because you see someone with a similar personality?. I have just joined this discussion group and I don't have time to read all that has gone before. But the fact that many people have had the same opinion as me surely suggests it might have some veracity ;)

BTW, nice to see you again, @zappy3

aww thanks :D

There is no need to be rude - maybe you like Yennefer because you see someone with a similar personality?. I have just joined this discussion group and I don't have time to read all that has gone before. But the fact that many people have had the same opinion as me surely suggests it might have some veracity ;)

I don't think I was being rude in any way, I was just stating that we have been over this topic so many times (which means by the way that you will find a lot of answers as well in this thread, you might even understand Yen a bit better afterwards who knows) and explaining why I wouldn't reply directly here.
Regarding the reason why I like Yennefer, well it would take so long to explain because I actually like everything about her, but yes I do wish sometimes that I could have her strength and determination for example, and actually if you're saying I'm like her, I will definitely take this as a compliment ;)

Well, in all honesty, you did make a general assumption about the emotional issues of people who like this particular character, so defensiveness is not unexpected.

And no, people sharing an opinion does not necessarily verify it.

So if multiple people believe the same flawed opinion that gives it gravity and weight? No, it just means there are more people who don't understand the character of Yen and thus sprout what is effectively bullshit about her, which, no offense, you have done.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-in-the-game-(with-a-canon-Geralt-as-partner)

I highly recommend you take a solid read through that, explains all the decisions that Yennefer makes throughout the games and the reasons/values/love and other emotions that effect her decisions. For example, she is willing to destroy a garden of a religious cult she actually respects because finding Ciri is most important to her. When the Priestesses come to shout at them, Yennefer takes all the blame and protects Geralt from it. But you said she was selfish... doesn't seem so.

You really need to read through that link i have provided and it will explain all her decisions and provide book quotes to further augment the case of why Yennefer is actually loving, caring woman on the inside, just her exterior shell is so protective and cold that many, many people fall for it :) Even if you don't want to just read the past comments made on this thread, lots of good ones in their supporting and showcasing Yennefer in her true colours.

It doesn't matter if 99% of the Witcher fanbase thought that Yennefer was selfish and power-hungry, because she isn't, we know this from the books and the games so if people believe she is, for baseless, misguided opinions, that's up to them.

I cannot understand how some people love Yennefer so much.
That's alright, it is okay to have a different opinion, and you're entitled to have your own preferences.

She shows such a selfish, spiteful and power-hungry personality much of the time. I think she is a great invention of Sapkowski but even in the books she's pretty awful.
Well, that is a load of crap which can be falsified easily enough by evidence from books and games. That has been done thousands of times already earlier in this thread and elsewhere. Also, it's easy to point out examples of selfishness, spitefulness and power-mongering on the side of the NPC you apparently prefer. That also has been done thousands of times already.

I think the only men to like such a woman would have some kind of emotional damage. So she is interesting to watch but impossible to like IMO.
But this, this "I'm gonna barge into that room and tell them that they're all emotionally crippled idiots! This is gonna be good!", this disqualifies you from further conversation. This will not entice anyone to waste any time to try and explain things in kind words to you. So yeah, read up and don't expect any motherly warmth from the audience of this thread.

Top Bottom