Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+

Guest 3847602

So till now you missed some genuine Time of Contempt easter egg!

:surprise:

Yup, though there are more than enough ToC references on Skellige...

More like:

"O kurwa, you got to be kidding me right now."

Yeah, his potential reaction(besides her pride of course) is the reason why she always helped him behind his back..and this guy here in the game ruined everything ;/

Anyway, book Geralt was usually broke and poor af...and the game Geralt is a rich land-owning man with fancy armors... so no reasons for Yen to help him...boo hoo :sleepy:

That's brilliant. I've never taken the loan before. Next playthrough, I'm going to do nothing except take loans :smiling2:

But where does Yennefer get her money from? Conjures it from thin air maybe... her shop was burned down long ago.

Guest 3847602

But where does Yennefer get her money from? Conjures it from thin air maybe... her shop was burned down long ago.

It's not that difficult for a powerful sorceress to earn big money relatively quickly:

“You misunderstand. I’m not thinking of appeasing or bribing her. But I do owe her something, and the treatment she wants to undergo is apparently very costly. I want to help her, that's all.”
“You're more of an idiot than I thought.” Nenneke picked up the basket from the ground. “A costly treatment? Help? Geralt, these jewels of yours are, to her, knickknacks not worth spitting on. Do you know how much Yennefer can earn for getting rid of an unwanted pregnancy for a great lady?”

It's not that difficult for a powerful sorceress to earn big money relatively quickly:

“You misunderstand. I’m not thinking of appeasing or bribing her. But I do owe her something, and the treatment she wants to undergo is apparently very costly. I want to help her, that's all.”
“You're more of an idiot than I thought.” Nenneke picked up the basket from the ground. “A costly treatment? Help? Geralt, these jewels of yours are, to her, knickknacks not worth spitting on. Do you know how much Yennefer can earn for getting rid of an unwanted pregnancy for a great lady?”
So that's what she does for a living.... unless Nenneke is being particularly harsh in her guesstimation. Thanks for the explanation, Oodrin.

Guest 3847602

So that's what she does for a living.... unless Nenneke is being particularly harsh in her guesstimation. Thanks for the explanation, Oodrin.

It was simply meant to remind Geralt that sorceresses are never short of opportunities to earn their living. Unlike witchers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
And sorceresses might not settle for rewards that barely cover the costs of their potion ingredients.
Indeed! Having to smother yourself in that glamour cream all the time must cost a fair bit.. unless they make it themselves, of course. I had wondered if they could simply conjure up some coins as and when needed, but I suppose that might be kind of stealing.
I do seem to remember a mention in the game that Yennefer doesn't have any money though ... (probably been too busy doing other important stuff) - does anyone else remember that, or was I imagining it?

I doubt she (or any other good or even average) sorceress would ever have a slight problem with earning money. Sorceresses can do anything..literally, for other people. Peasants can hire them for many various services. Things they are not able to do by themselves. Like healing, for instance. Restoring objects. Etc etc. It's not hard to imagine ;) In Sword of Destiny (I think?) Yennefer even admonishes (to Yarpen) the hypocrisy of people hating on wizards on the daily basis until they're in trouble and need their help.

Anyway. Yennefer may not be doing any kind of earning as of now but she probably still has plenty of money left. Rather doubtful she'd spend everything she gathered through her long life.

Anyway. Yennefer may not be doing any kind of earning as of now but she probably still has plenty of money left. Rather doubtful she'd spend everything she gathered through her long life.

And don't forget about her investments with help of Molnar Giancardi :)

had wondered if they could simply conjure up some coins

I remember she was able to conjure really "smelly" golden coins in Season of Storms... :D

I do seem to remember a mention in the game that Yennefer doesn't have any money though ... (probably been too busy doing other important stuff) - does anyone else remember that, or was I imagining it?
"I do not have any coin, but I can sure think of other ways to repay you." (The Last Wish quest).

That was a joke she made. "Other ways to repay you" = some excursion to the alcoves.

Mixing it up with peasant in TW2 (Lobinden's earldorman) about Sila, maybe? "She's, like you, poor as a mouse." (so likely, indeed. She wasn't out to kill the Kayran for the trophy and money, she was out to get some Kayran body parts to produce a cure for Henselt's curse and thus get onto his good side. The Lodge needed someone to replace Sabrina.)

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. The smelly coins sound particularly curious! I will have to wait for the English translation to be published.

so....I asked this a few times already, but did anyone come up with an idea in the meanwhile why Geralt comments "Verbena" with "A-ha", when you visit Avallac'h's laboratory with Yen and Ciri? And Yen reacts quite annoyed by it?

If you don't know anymore what I mean, here it is, around 4:50

You know, it's not like I try to make sense of everything they say to each other *cough*, but not really knowing what he means with that little comment is driving me crazy, even months later and don't tell me that means nothing. Spending so much time analyzing every damn detail made me quite wary about stuff like this, and believe me there is nothing like coincidence :)
The story writer wrote those dialogue lines for a reason, a reason I still can't figure out no matter what.

Verbena is only mentioned once in the whole book series and that's when Geralt meets Essi. Also the wikis don't really say much about Verbena, it's a common flower, so not that special.

Geralt never knew that Yennefer was supporting him from the background all the time, giving him money through job offers or bribing people to act nicer to him, something like this. What if Geralt realized at this point of the story (in Witcher 3) that Yennefer was always behind him, all the time? When you borrow money from the bank, you are told that you have an unlimited credit thanks to Yennefer.

He was too dumb to realize that in the books, but what if he does now?

He never told anyone about Essi and so did Dandelion. She can't possibly know of her, because nobody ever told her that, but she knows by the smell of it that this is Verbena?

What if she does indeed know what happened between him and Essi just like she always know what her witcher is doing, hence knowing the smell of Verbena?

Geralt finally realizes it comments it with "A-ha", like "how do you know that?" with a smudge face.

She asked "A-ha, what?" and he goes off with "nothing" and smiling.

She realizes that he knows more than she thought, realizes that he discovered something about her she didn't want him to know. She showed a weakness, something she never wants to show anyone.

I also can't remember that Verbena was ever important, at all, in any quest.

Argh, help ._.

Edit:
‘Some ten days ago. Then he was seen in Little Marsh. I’m informed he went from there to Hirundum, since he had a commission from the farmers there. Some kind of monster to kill, as usual . . .’
‘And, as usual, they’ll be paying him peanuts for killing it.’ Yennefer’s voice changed a little. ‘Which, as usual, will barely cover the cost of medical treatment should he be mauled by the monster. Business as usual. If you really want to do something for me, Molnar, get involved. Contact the farmers from Hirundum and raise the bounty. Give him enough to live on.’
‘Business as usual,’ snorted Giancardi. ‘And if he eventually finds out about it?
Yennefer fixed her eyes on Ciri, who was watching and listening now, not even attempting to feign interest in Physiologus.
‘And from whom,’ she muttered, ‘might he find out?’

No matter what she didn't want him to know it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom