Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
Yennefer's dress in the Polish musical reminds me of this little scene:
Also the priestesses Iola and Eurneid sobbed, when Yennefer refused to put on the white wedding dress they had made for her. Not even Nenneke's mediation helped. Yennefer cursed, threw around hexes and dishes, while repeating that she looks like a fucking virgin in white.
Seriously, why does every adaptation try to get away from the black and white colour scheme? The TV series did it, the Russian musical did it. Even the games did it with the alternative outfit.

Raven-black hair, violet eyes, the obsidian star, the black and white clothes - they all make her iconic and instantly recognisible. Show this image to the book reader who never played the games and he would recognise Yennefer with ease:

But it won't be as easy with this image:
Damn, she looks so much like Morrigan here, it's crazy.

Hopefully the Netflix series will finally get this right.

I saw the theatre play last week in Gdynia Poland, and I have to say it was really spectacular and modern and it really followed books very well...amazing play and btw. Yen's dress in the musical matching all the dresses in the play - they are all like black/white.

Hopefully the Netflix series will finally get this right.

Me too, they talk about Yen as the main character (the last interviews with the producers) so there is a hope they will get her right :)

Gilthoniel;n9714661 said:
Me too, they talk about Yen as the main character (the last interviews with the producers) so there is a hope they will get her right :)

God, I hope it's good. And I hope after watching it people will stop claiming that they love each other because of the wish and Sapkowski wrote eight books about fake love.
:facepalm2:

Guest 3847602

I'm cautiously optimistic, these two quotes are the main reason:

“I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” said Sapkowski.

“The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world,” said Sean Daniel and Jason Brown.

They seem to have the right vision, hopefully execution will be just as right. :)

ooodrin;n9714941 said:
They seem to have the right vision, hopefully execution will be just as right. :)

Well, it seems like they've got the family aspect right at least. Wich is more than I can say about the games :confused:

Guest 3847602

Zyvik;n9715061 said:
Well, it seems like they've got the family aspect right at least. Wich is more than I can say about the games :confused:

Honestly, I'm over it... It could have been better (closer relationship with Ciri), it could have been a lot worse (Lodge content or Isle of Trials).
What we got in the end is a compromise between developers with different ideas about these characters and their storylines and the final product (while not perfect) is more than satisfying for me in that regard, thankfully.
As for the Netflix series - I think Sapkowski, as a creative consultant, will prefer to get himself involved this time. He nonchalantly passed that opportunity with games series and probably knows this is his best chance of getting into the spotlight in English-speaking world. That's what gives me hope it will turn out as something to his liking as far as main characters and themes are concerned. Naturally, that includes Yennefer, Ciri and family aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 3847602

Zyvik;n9715601 said:
You're one lucky bastard :D
I'm still suffering from PTSD over that "Yennefer has plans for me, but Avallac'h is different" line.

I don't know how severe your case of PTSD is, but you can try treating it with "Curse of Crows". :p
It's pretty average as "game comics" go, but what's annoying about that line in the game is fixed in the comic
- it happens after the ending of TW3 main quest
- the only plans "Ciri's mother" have for her is thinking of ways to keep her out of trouble

* bonus point:
no mention of Uma anywhere whatsoever
:unhappy:

ooodrin;n9733551 said:
I don't know how severe your case of PTSD is, but you can try treating it with "Curse of Crows". :p
It's pretty average as "game comics" go, but what's annoying about that line in the game is fixed in the comic
- it happens after the ending of TW3 main quest
- the only plans "Ciri's mother" have for her is thinking of ways to keep her out of trouble

* bonus point:
no mention of Uma anywhere whatsoever
:unhappy:

Reads the first issue. Sees blue Igni, Geralt carrying unconcious Adda and "Aard! Aard you bastards!"
If you wanted me dead why didn't you just say so?
​ :sleepy:

Guest 3847602

Zyvik;n9738061 said:
Reads the first issue. Sees blue Igni, Geralt carrying unconcious Adda and "Aard! Aard you bastards!"
If you wanted me dead why didn't you just say so?
​ :sleepy:

Well it's pretty much what I've come to expect from Witcher comics by Dark Horse or game comics in general (it's about the same quality as Deus EX HR, definitely better than Mass Effect Foundation or Assassins' Creed Fall/Chain).
You'll gonna have to endure Geralt occasionally shooting "kamehameha" if that scene from the game still bothers you that much, no other way.
:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
ooodrin;n9738361 said:
Well it's pretty much what I've come to expect from Witcher comics by Dark Horse or game comics in general (it's about the same quality as Deus EX HR, definitely better than Mass Effect Foundation or Assassins' Creed Fall/Chain).
You'll gonna have to endure Geralt occasionally shooting "kamehameha" if that scene from the game still bothers you that much, no other way.
:smile:

​​​​I knew I won't be getting "Sandman" quality from this, but damn...Shit like this is why I don't read game books and game comics.

I will finish it though. I really need a therapy regarding Yen/Ciri relationship. Hopefully I'll survive the experience
:sad:

​​​​

Guest 3847602

Zyvik;n9738531 said:
I will finish it though. I really need a therapy regarding Yen/Ciri relationship. Hopefully I'll survive the experience

Sure. Don't expect Ellander pt. 2 though... just something that makes much more sense for Ciri than what she insinuated in "Payback" quest.

So I'm still torturing myself reading Curse of the Crows and I have a question. Will Geralt's facial expression ever change? Like...He has this weird grumpy grandpa face whether he's fighting monsters or having tender moments with Yen. It's just SO distracting.

​​

So...Yeah, I finished it. Ciri calling Yen "Mother" was definitely worth it. I'll take it. Everything else though...I think I need another therapy. And I already know what it's going to be. Reading the books for a millionth time! :cool:

So...I did a thing, guys. I came up with a crazy theory wich helpes us to make sense not only out of Yen/Ciri relationship, but also out of the other non sensical stuff like Avallac'h's characterization and the White Frost. So here's my theory:

Avallac'h was never a good guy. From the start he was manipulating Ciri and his plans for her did not change that much since the books. Only this time he wanted to imprignate her himself, because of his obssession with Lara. The reason why he and Eredin are enemies is because Avallac'h was the one who orchestrated Auberon's death and tried to frame him. While he's with Ciri he magically brainwashes her into thinking that he's trustworthy and later implements her false memories about Yennefer (whom he views as a threat). He tried to implement her false memories about Geralt as well, but the Wild Hunt found them before he was able to. Because of the Uma curse he gets a severe brain damage and goes completely nuts. In his sick, broken mind the White Frost is evil and can be stopped. Once again he uses magic to brainwash her into believing this crazy idea. Her memories of Yennefer are tainted and she doesn't view her as a Mother anymore. But Geralt can save her. Suddenly, everything makes sense. Trashing the lab is good not because it supports vandalism, but because it helps Ciri overcome Avallac'h's deception. Letting Ciri go to the Lodge meeting alone is good not because of some weird confidence and independence bullshit, but because talking down to Philippa helps her get her will power back and overcome Avallac'h's deception. In the end when Ciri is having those flashbacks, they're not about self-confidence or good parenting/bad parenting. They're about overcoming mind control. If Ciri fails then she of course dies. Because guess what? You can't stop evolution by walking into it. But if she succeds she realises that Avallac'h was manipulating her all this time. She telelorts back into the tower, kills his creepy ass and spits on his corps. Then she and Geralt walk out of the tower. Ciri sees Yennefer, gives her a proper hug, calls her Mother and apologises for giving in to the spell. Then they walk into the sunset, no longer two + one, but three. A complete family.

​​​​

Last edited:
Damn, why didn't I come up with this sooner? It would solve all of my frustrations with Yen/Ciri stuff in the game. Plus if my theory got a big following It could rival indoctrination theory in Mass Effect 3.

Top Bottom