Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

The way she looks at Geralt :wub:
>kappa
*Stifles laugh because of TV show*

The red dress...It's killing me :dead:

"Jesteś naprawdę ładna. Naprawdę ładna brzydulka. Moja ładna brzydulka... szczęśliwa z ciebie brzydulka."
Thank you. Indeed Russian translation is wrong :\ and now I'm thinking to read it in Polish :( but don't have enough time for this right now.

"Brzydulka" - it's hard to properly translate this. It's not actually rude but kinda funny :) She is making fun of her ^_^ Brzydula - will be ugly in English but you'll miss that "lka" part which means more gentel appeal. Called affectionate diminutive turn of speech.

Some wild theory:

In CDPR, team Yen has more gun, but since only Triss's team browse forum, they feeding Yen's team false information that everyone here are satisfied with Yen's content. As their goal has been complete, Team Yen feel sympathy for Triss content and now both team are working to fix this one

They (#TT CDPR staff) just need to hide it from Konrad somehow or

Konrad: GOTCHA!
#TTstaff: Oh hi, Konrad!
Konrad: What are you doing?
#TTstaff: working with fans reports.
Konrad: Why I see dead Yennefer with Geralt's sword in her chest on your screen?
#TTstaff: it's hmm...Konrad please...we're just having fun.
Konrad: You better RUN!

---------- Updated at 11:32 AM ----------

The red dress...It's killing me :dead:

She's working for Vizimir and Redania.

Thank you, TV Series. Now we know why Philippa hates her.

Just need a reply from #TeamYen developer ;)
My initial reaction to the thought.

If I keep thinking about having a discussion with a team Yen dev.

Team Yen dev when reading my posts, maybe.

Who could that be? hmmm
As I was not part of the creation of most of the Yennefer content, I cannot answer as to reasons why things were done in a specific way. Marcin Blacha and the Quest Designers for the Yennefer focused Quests would be the ones who can say more about this.
As I pointed out before, the main people for these things is our Story Department. They know a LOT better than I do why and how characters were written in certain ways. And they do know their stuff.
Thank you indeed for your lengthy reply, it really is fantastic to have this type of direct and open communication.

My final question for you good Sir, can you please let us know if this thread and general requests I've mentioned above, have made their way to the story department and Marcin's team that's in charge of Yen? No details required.

And since then, it's been

Okay guys, it's time for another book to in game Yen analysis session.

Previously, we've discussed Yen's character introduction from the book and Sapkowski's take on Yennefer.

1. Whether the game Yen's introduction in White Orchard and Vizima produced the same effect like her book introduction is arguable at best.
2. Did CDPR's subtle hints at her importance, such as occasional journal entries, flashbacks and a dream, produce a sufficient emotional bond between players and Yen? Arguable at best of times, in my honest opinion.
3. Did they manage to blow us away with her first impression and explored her bond with Geralt enough to tickle player's deeper interest? Maybe.

I'm hoping this sort of constructive talk helps CDPR understand our point of view and reasons behind our requests for more Yennefer content.

In today's session, I'd like to begin the analysis of Yen's relationship to Cirilla, something that's a far bigger issue in game than both Yen - Geralt or Yen - Triss lack of content.
So please stay with me and enjoy some wonderful moments from the books, between a mother and her daughter.

Wrapped in a towel, Ciri sat down on the small chair at the magician’s knees. Yennefer brushed the girl’s hair, every now and again snipping off a disobedient wisp with a pair of scissors.

“Are you angry with me?” asked the girl reluctantly. “For, for… going to the tower?”

“No. But Nenneke doesn’t like it. You know that.”

“But I haven’t… I don’t care about Jarre in the least.” Ciri blushed a little. “I only…”

“Exactly,” muttered the enchantress. “You only. Don’t play the child because you’re not one any more, let me remind you. That boy slobbers and stammers at the sight of you. Can’t you see that?”

“That’s not my fault! What am I supposed to do?”

Yennefer stopped combing Ciri’s hair and measured her with a deep, violet gaze.

“Don’t toy with him. It’s base.”

“But I’m not toying with him! I’m only talking to him!”

“I’d like to believe,” the enchantress said as she snipped her scissors, cutting yet another wisp of hair which would not allow itself to be styled for anything in the world, “that during these conversations, you remember what I asked you.”

“I remember, I remember!”

“He’s an intelligent and bright boy. One or two inadvertent words could lead him on the right track, to matters he should know nothing about. No one, absolutely no one must find out who you are.”

“I remember,” repeated Ciri. “I haven’t squealed a word to anyone, you can be sure of that. Tell me, is that why we have to leave so suddenly? Are you afraid that someone’s going to find out I’m here? Is that why?”

“No. There are other reasons.”

“Is it because… there might be a war? Everybody’s talking about another war! Everybody’s talking about it, Lady Yennefer.”

“Indeed,” the magician confirmed coolly, snipping her scissors just above Ciri’s ear. “It’s a subject which belongs to the so-called interminable category. There’s been talk about wars in the past, there is talk now and there always will be. And not without reason – there have been wars and there will be wars. Lower your head.”

“Jarre said… that there’s not going to be a war with Nilfgaard. He spoke of some sort of analogies… Showed me a map. I don’t know what to think myself any more. I don’t know what these analogies are, probably something terribly clever… Jarre reads various learned books and knows it all, but I think…”

“It interests me, what you think, Ciri.”

“In Cintra… That time… Lady Yennefer, my grandmother was much cleverer than Jarre. King Eist was clever, too. He sailed the seas, saw everything, even a narwhal and sea serpent, and I bet he also saw many an analogy. And so what? Suddenly they appeared, the Nilfgaardians…”

Ciri raised her head and her voice stuck in her throat. Yennefer put her arms around her and hugged her tightly.

“Unfortunately,” she said quietly, “unfortunately, you’re right, my ugly one. If the ability to make use of experience and draw conclusions decided, we would have forgotten what war is a long time ago. But those whose goal is war have never been held back, nor will be, by experience or analogy.”

“So… It’s true, after all. There is going to be a war. Is that why we have to leave?”

“Let’s not talk about it. Let’s not worry too soon.”

Ciri sniffed.

“I’ve already seen a war,” she whispered. “I don’t want to see another. Never. I don’t want to be alone again. I don’t want to be frightened. I don’t want to lose everything again, like that time. I don’t want to lose Geralt… or you, Lady Yennefer. I don’t want to lose you. I want to stay with you. And him. Always.”

“You will.” The magician’s voice trembled a little. “And I’m going to be with you, Ciri. Always. I promise you.”

“How long are you going to edu— Teach me for?”

“As long as you want.” The magician leaned over, opened the chest of drawers, pulled out an old leather bag, a belt, two boots trimmed with fur and a clay demi-john in a wicker basket. Ciri heard her curse under her breath while smiling, and saw her hide the finds back in the drawers. She guessed whose they were. Who had left them there.

“What does that mean, as long as I want?” she asked. “If I get bored or don’t like the work—”

“We’ll put an end to it. It’s enough that you tell me. Or show me.”

“Show you? How?”

“Should we decide on educating you, I will demand absolute obedience. I repeat: absolute. If, on the other hand, you get tired of it, it will suffice for you to disobey. Then the lessons will instantly cease. Is that clear?”

Ciri nodded and cast a fleeting glance of her green eyes at the magician.

“Secondly,” continued Yennefer, unpacking her saddle-bags, “I will demand absolute sincerity. You will not be allowed to hide anything from me. Anything. So if you feel you have had enough, it will suffice for you to lie, pretend, feign or close in on yourself. If I ask you something and you do not answer sincerely, that will also indicate an instant end to our lessons. Have you understood?”

“Yes,” muttered Ciri. “And that… sincerity… Does that work both ways? Will I be able to… ask you questions?”

Yennefer looked at her and her lips twisted strangely.

“Of course,” she answered after a while. “That goes without saying. That will be the basis of the learning and protection I aim to give you. Sincerity works both ways. You are to ask me questions. At any time. And I will answer. Sincerely.”

“Any question?”

“Any question.”

“As of now?”

“Yes. As of now.”

“What is there between you and Geralt, Lady Yennefer?”

Ciri almost fainted, horrified at her own impertinence, chilled by the silence which followed the question.

The enchantress slowly approached her, placed her hands on her shoulders, looked her in the eyes from up close – and deeply.

“Longing,” she answered gravely. “Regret. Hope. And fear. Yes, I don’t think I have omitted anything. Well, now we can get on with the tests, you little green-eyed viper. We will see if you’re cut out for this. Although after your question I would be very surprised if it turned out you aren’t. Let’s go, my ugly one.”

Ciri bridled.

“Why do you call me that?”

Yennefer smiled with the corners of her lips.

“I promised to be sincere.”

I've highlighted in bold some of they key quotes that essentially mark their honest feelings between themselves, even in the early stage of their family.

This is Sapkwoski's vision and foundation for the whole series. He didn't think Yennefer is less important in that family trio. So why did CDPR?
They've masterfully shown the bond and relationship between Geralt and Ciri, yet omitted to let Yen have her family time. Except for one passionate hug to Ciri and as a silent companion to Avallac'h's cave.

There could have been some really touching moments in Kaer Morhen. It is really hard to swallow Yen wouldn't drag Ciri to the side for some private time and Geralt joining in. Even for an hour or two.

For example, in the guest room, Yen is brushing Ciri's hair and maybe giving it a trim, just like she used to, while Geralt's sitting opposite of them, maybe inspecting Ciri's sword while listening to their conversation.
Yen is an emotional mess as she absorbs every word from Ciri, who is telling them both about her travels and adventures. Maybe even go into explaining Avallac'h and the WIld Hunt a bit more. Which is when they snap out of it and realize they have to prepare for battle.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. Would love to hear what other people think.

This is most likely my biggest disappointment, not being able to see Yennefer and Ciri or better all three of them together. Instead we only see Geralt and Ciri, while Yennefer is like a third wheel to them.

This is the only moment in the whole game, where she actually shows what connects them, almost looking like out-of-character compared to the rest of the game:

the only other moment is the Eavesdropping scene, that's it.

We have not one single moment in the whole game, where all three of them look like that:

No, we have to resort to make our own ones:

:(

Where is this?

or that:
Jarre! Stop that immediately!'
The boy abruptly pulled his lips away from her hair and went as red as a beetroot.
'1 do not wish you to do that to me!' 'Ciri, I'
'I came to you with a serious matter, as a wizard to a scholar,' she said icily and with dignity, in a tone of voice which exactly copied that of Yennefer. 'So behave!'

this
'I've already seen a war,' she whispered. 'I don't want to see another. Never. I don't want to be alone again. I don't want to be frightened. I don't want to lose everything again, like that time.
I don't want to lose Geralt ... or you, Lady Yennefer. I don't want to lose you. I want to stay with you. And him. Always.'
'Oh, dear . . . I'm sorry, Lady Yennefer ... I probably . . . probably used a bit too much ...'
'A little bit. Don't worry. Come here. Come on, little one.'
'And . . . and the shack?'
'These things happen. There's no need to take it to heart.

and this
'Lady Yennefer?'
'I'm here, ugly one.'

and this
'You still keep on calling me ugly one! You know how I don't like it. Why do you do it?'
'Because I'm malicious. Wizards are always malicious.'
'But I don't want to . . . don't want to be ugly. I want to be pretty. Really pretty, like you, Lady Yennefer. Can I, through magic, be as pretty as you one day?'
'You . . . Fortunately you don't have to . . . You don't need magic for it. You don't know how lucky you are.'
'But I want to be really pretty!'
'You are really pretty. A really pretty ugly one. My pretty little ugly one . . .'
'Oh, Lady Yennefer!'
'Ciri, you're going to bruise my thigh.'

and this
'Lady Yennefer . . .'
'Oh, hell. What is it now?'
'It's been so long, why isn't Geralt . . . Why isn't he coming?'
'He's forgotten about you, no doubt, ugly one. He's found himself a prettier girl.'
'Oh, no! I know he hasn't forgotten! He couldn't have! I know that, I know that for certain, Lady Yennefer!'
'It's good you know. You're a lucky ugly one.'
'I didn't like you,' she repeated.

and this
Before we part to finally meet the one I miss. The one she misses. The one who no doubt misses us both. I want to tell her that . . .

and this
Take care of her, Yennefer. Keep her safe, like the apple of your eye.'
'I hope' - the magician smiled faintly - 'that I'll manage to keep her safer.'

and this
'Damn it! I warned you! I told you! Head up! Up, I say! Take this and put it to your nose or you'll be covered in blood! Calmly, calmly, little one, just don't faint. I'm beside you. I'm beside you . . . daughter. Hold the handkerchief. I'll just conjure up some ice . . .'

None, none of it
and the hope for getting something like this is almost non-existent, because barely anyone cares about it :hope:

Screw romances, i want to see a fleshed out character and not just a love interest in her. I want almost the opposite of want Triss' fans want, i want to see how she spends more time with Ciri than just with Geralt or even better with both of them together.

And now i have to go to work.

Thank you. Indeed Russian translation is wrong :\ and now I'm thinking to read it in Polish :( but don't have enough time for this right now.

"Brzydulka" - it's hard to properly translate this. It's not actually rude but kinda funny :) She is making fun of her ^_^ Brzydula - will be ugly in English but you'll miss that "lka" part which means more gentel appeal. Called affectionate diminutive turn of speech.
I'm not russian but it doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong because it's not a literal translation but a word that follow the meaning of the original word. :p

They (#TT CDPR staff) just need to hide it from Konrad somehow or

Konrad: GOTCHA!
#TTstaff: Oh hi, Konrad!
Konrad: What are you doing?
#TTstaff: working with fans reports.
Konrad: Why I see dead Yennefer with Geralt's sword in her chest on your screen?
#TTstaff: it's hmm...Konrad please...we're just having fun.
Konrad: You better RUN!
You make me laugh for ten mins now :like:
most ot the TeamTriss dream I bet :p
Why did you write this ? This really a big misunderstanding, we like Yen, love Triss :(

Actually i prefer the sword on the back, backstab :hai:

Such are the struggles of fans who play the shit out of a game. On my first playthrough I was so immersed it was crazy, spent hours just playing, now I'm on my 3rd and since coming here, I see many things that could be improved upon. It's how it is with all games, none can be perfect, unfortunately. I think though, when it comes down to it, even though Ciri says at the end of TW3 that it's her story, it's not, not really, it's Geralt's and so before anything, we will see characters have their interactions improved with him, not the deutragonist. Unfortunate, really, but that's how things roll.

Also, you have to take into account that Sapowski's books are all about writing, nothing else matters in a book than the writing, though I suppose less people would buy the books if they were written on human leather or on drywall. Games have much more than writing, there's gameplay, graphics, sound, all that other stuff, so you have to sympathize a bit and see that while Sapowski tries to make these family moments, CDPR would've been much more focused on creating a great game, which has many dimensions in it, and so scenes where Geralt, CIri and Yen are as a family are not particularly a priority.

This really a big misunderstanding, we like Yen, love Triss
Yes!
How I was wrote in Triss thread yesterday.
I think it was Destiny that Dandelion and Geralt met Yen when they found the Djinn, because Yen's main desire was to have a child. And Destiny decided that this was the best way, because nobody could be better for Ciri than Yen and Geralt. Therefore Destiny connected them. But also Destiny gave Geralt the chance to find his true love. (by my option in games, I was that Destiny ;) )
True love for Yen was Istredd. Before she was put in decision who to choose Geralt or Istredd, she ran to Istredd when she wasn't with Geralt, because they were together for a long time before she met Geralt. But Destiny didn't allowed them to be together at that time. Istredd's love was so strong that he by Yen's request was ready not to use magic in duel with Geralt for Yen's love, and was ready to use only a sword, and knowing how mages are "skillful" in swords, it was equal to suicide.
So I believe in post end of TW3 Istredd and Yen will found each other and will be happy together. And Geralt and Yen will have forever
they beloved daughter Ciri, who could visit Yen wherever she decided to live with Istredd, and Geralt with Triss in Kovir.
As I said this all possible in my Witcher's world. :yes:

---------- Updated at 02:51 PM ----------

Y: Hi Istredd, last fiftteen years I was in immense and passionate love with Geralt but my "best friend" stole him from me and he kicked me away. So here I am. Still need me?
I: Okay, Yenna.
FrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackleFrickleFrackle

On another note, not sure if it's been posted here but here goes:

Attachments

• the_last_wish___yennefer_by_yamao-d6ma8yh.jpg
    the_last_wish___yennefer_by_yamao-d6ma8yh.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom