Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
"That was then". When? And what? :what2:

You know, back then, don't you remember?

Hello everyone, I'm out of jail! Let's try to get an official statement from CDPR regarding Yen and Ciri.
Please keep in mind that this is just the very first version which needs your kind help. I'm bad at this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0LGfPlWd7bANFdTRndEQkZEME0/view

@Kallelinski
@Scholdarr.452
@swordsandroses
@CatchTheBreeze
@Sephira
@bichitogamer
@Gilthoniel
@Charcharo
@OptoNick
@xxgwxx

And all other dedicated Yennefer'ans. Please read it carefully and tell me what to add, remove or change.
I guess the original idea behind this was for us to produce an open letter to CDPR, mainly Marcin Blacha.
I was thinking about removing the first half of the first page and linking one big edited PDF suggestion file.
Let me know your ideas people... If we create something, we send it to both Marcins (Blacha and Momot).

Cosplay tax:

BTW @Kallelinski please add @Scholdarr.452 analysis of Lodge's Eavesdropping to the suggestion PDF.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-spoilers!!!?p=1871160&viewfull=1#post1871160

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm out of jail! Let's try to get an official statement from CDPR regarding Yen and Ciri.
Please keep in mind that this is just the very first version which needs your kind help. I'm bad at this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0LGfPlWd7bANFdTRndEQkZEME0/view

@Kallelinski
@Scholdarr.452
@swordsandroses
@CatchTheBreeze
@Sephira
@bichitogamer
@Gilthoniel
@Charcharo
@OptoNick
@xxgwxx

And all other dedicated Yennefer'ans. Please read it carefully and tell me what to add, remove or change.
I guess the original idea behind this was for us to produce an open letter to CDPR, mainly Marcin Blacha.
I was thinking about removing the first half of the first page and linking one big edited PDF suggestion file.
Let me know your ideas people... If we create something, we send it to both Marcins (Blacha and Momot).

Cosplay tax:

BTW @Kallelinski please add @Scholdarr.452 analysis of Lodge's Eavesdropping to the suggestion PDF.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-spoilers!!!?p=1871160&viewfull=1#post1871160

With all due respect, but it seems to me that this is not the best idea. @GingerEffect promised, that they will carefully look at this thread and suggestions that we put in here. If CDPR considers that they will have something to add / improve they will do it. Writing such letters may, however, be seen as impudent attempt to influence their decision, which may not have good consequences for us.

Last edited:
With all due respect, but it seems to me that this is not the best idea. @GingerEffect promised, that they will carefully look at this thread and suggestions that we put in here. If CDPR considers that they will have something to add / improve they will. Writing such letters may, however, be seen as impudent attempt to influence their decision, which may not have good consequences for us.

I thought we might give it a shot, but you're right. Like I said I'm bad at this and we should write it as a community.

They read and react to private messages of this kind: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1861940&viewfull=1#post1861940

Maybe we could actually get an official statement from somebody who is responsible for content if @Kallelinski
tried to contact them. Who knows? I would call it our feedback rather than an impudent attempt to influence them.

Last edited:
About the "tricking" issue with Eskel.

On second thought, he maybe only referred to Yen's ability to "persuading" Geralt to do things he actually doesn't really want to do. Like living in a city for several months and playing basically Yen's errand boy and sexual slave (a bit exaggerated). So the issue about "lack of trust" and "trick" is maybe only related to Eskel's opinion that Geralt isn't himself when it comes to Yennefer. And in the past Yen had her agendas (pretty much in line with the overall agenda of the council of mages, but also personal ones) and it's very likely that she "used" Geralt for her own goals various times (maybe only very small scale but nevertheless) without him knowing it or without him being able to do anything against it or saying anything against it (because in the end, he loves her no matter what and objecting Yen was a pointless endeavour anyway...). I think it's maybe ill-guided to search for a sexual connection to that passage. It's maybe a more general behaviour thing.

I'd really like to know how the passage is worded in the Polish original because it seems to me like one of these things that maybe got lost a bit in translation (even if the original writer wrote in English, he's most likely(?) no native-English speaker but a Polish one).

@Wasaabii28
Welcome back. :)

it's very likely that she "used" Geralt for her own goals various times (maybe only very small scale but nevertheless) without him knowing it or without him being able to do anything against it

No, no no. As long as Sapkowski doesn't somehow confirm this in his future (?) novel, there's nothing to indicate that Yennefer ever "used" Geralt to gain something. Let's please refrain from giving Yen-haters new ideas.

No, no no. As long as Sapkowski doesn't somehow confirm this in his future (?) novel, there's nothing to indicate that Yennefer ever "used" Geralt to gain something. Let's please refrain from giving Yen-haters new ideas.

Good one @xxgwxx ;)

After their very first meeting when she used a spell on Geralt to get some fun -a punishment for her haters- in The last wish, Yennefer never used him, never. On the contrary, she has been always watching and taking care of him, as we can see in Season of storms. Her love for Geralt is deep and genuine.

@Wasaabii28 I like a lot your letter, it's a good summary of the issues concerning Yennefer-Ciri. I hope devs read it ;) Congrats.

You mis- or over-interpreted my post. It was meant on a much more personal level, basically in stuff directly related to their relationship as lovers. What she gained was first and foremost personal satisfacting and that everything was like she wanted it to be - with Geralt just doing what was on her mind. ;)

You mis- or over-interpreted my post. It was meant on a much more personal level, basically in stuff directly related to their relationship as lovers. What she gained was first and foremost personal satisfacting and that everything was like she wanted it to be - with Geralt just doing what was on her mind. ;)

Ok, they lived in the city and Geralt hated it. What else? When he got sick of it , he just left her without a single word - instead of, I dunno, talking about a problem like an adult.

You're assuming too much, there isn't enough evidence to support your viewpoint. Yennefer works with Emhyr to find Ciri, yes, but so is Geralt. However, it is up to the player to heed Emhyr's demands or not.
You pointed out the difference. There is no canon Geralt who encourages Ciri to go to Emhyr. Yennefer on the other hand pushes Ciri to meet the emperor. She is also much closer to Emhyr than Geralt. He even notices it several times. So it's "our spies now"

>She is willing to counsel Ciri that it is worth speaking with Emhyr
The only clue that she said anything about Emhyr is Ciri saying "Yennefer...mentioned something", which could've just been a simple "Hey Ciri, Emhyr is looking for you"
No. I wrote down a conversation between Cirim and Yennefer a few pages ago. Yennefer said to her that of all persons she can trust emhyr most and that she should visit him. The emhyr who is responsible for Pavetta' death. The emhyr who is co-responsible for Calanthe's death. The emhyr who sent thugs like Skellen after her. The emhyr who wanted to impregnate her. the emhyr who wanted to kill Geralt and Yennefer. I can't blame her that she is rather reserved towards Yen considering her strange alliances.
Yennefer also knows what emhyr's plans are. In this moment she heavily pushes Ciri to become empress, which is even the bigger problem, since this is imo the worst possible thing that can happen to Ciri.

>She is happy to make political agreements with Emhyr
Again you can't know the pretense behind her actions because there is no evidence suggesting your opinion. Yennefer could've just worked with Emhyr because he has resources and was willing to help her search for Ciri, you can't know if Yennefer is happy or indifferent or upset about having to make the deal. It's not like she had a choice, considering Nilfgaard captured her during her amnesia time.
She had a choice from the moment the could move freely. It's not like anybody could force a powerful sorceress to do anything. Though I never had the feeling that Yennefer feels forced to work with Emhyr. Look at the difference when we collect Uma. Yennefer volunatary travels to Vizima to see the emperor, while Geralt had to be forced by Nilfgaardian soldiers, while he was on his way to Kaer Morhen.
She also seemed to be very close to Emhyr. Funnily he was the only person in the game (aside from Geralt of course) who mentioned that he actually likes her " I always liked that [her attitude] about Yennefer"

But she is hundred years old and this is change of character for 180 degree in one moment, i simply can`t buy that it`s OOC
It doesn't matter that you think it's ooc. It's part of the canon and we can't just pretend that it didn't happen because we might not like it.

And you say it yourself - it's perhaps or probably lack of trust. But how and why is that so? Why is there any distrust between Ciri and Yen? That is never resolved or explained in the game so it's just a shifting of reasons. The logical explanation for this distrust is missing and without that the relatonship and the change of affairs between Ciri and Yen just remain unexplored and unexplained. Again, it's not my job as a reader, player or watcher that I have to construct the story in my mind, especially not if crucial information is missing. That makes the story just arbitrary and all less impactful. It's causing dissonance with the characters and plot in the game and therefore breaks immersion.
It's not like CDP likes to explain important plot ploints anyway. Even after 2 playthrought I'm still not sure what Eredin actually wanted from Ciri. At least not in a way that is logical.
I can agree that they could have explained that her trust issues are probably the reason for her rather distanced behavior.
But the reason why she doesn't trust Yennefer 100% is sufficiently explained imo. You just have to add together several conversations and behaviors.
The conversation between Phillipa and Geralt in the sunstone cave. The conversation between Ciri and Yennefer on the boat and the conversation between Ciri and Geralt outside of Novigrad. Furthermore the (from my point of view) rather confidiental behavior between Emhyr and Yennefer, at least too confidiental for two rather secretive characters like the emperor and the sorceress. Though spending more than 6 months together probably had some impact.
I understand that you are just trying to find a reason, but that would be a very poor and amateurish cliché plot reason.
How is that a amateurish plot reason? They had to establish a relationship between Ciri and Vesemir for players who didn't read the books (which are roughly 90%+) in a very short time. Otherwise people wouldn't believe how deeply hurt Ciri was when Imlerith killed Vesemir.
There are very few moments in the game, in which there is any interaction between these two. Thats probably the main reason why CDP replaced Yennefer with Vesemir in the balcony scene and why she seems to a bit happier to see Vesemir than Yennefer. Some pepple won't like to heear it, but showing a deep connection between Vesemir and Ciri was just more important in that moment. The truth is, the 90+% of the players who haven't read the books won't care about a mother/daughter relationship between Ciri and Yennefer, because they don't know that something like that existed in the first place. The uncle/niece relationship with Vesemir on the other hand had to be explained for everybody as it's important for the Kaer Morhen events, which are probably one of the most important moments in the game. . Book readers are not the priority audience ( in a recent interview someone from CDP pointed out that they wanted to make the game as beginner friendly as possible, even Witcher 1 and 2 players got shafted and there should be far more of them than book readers).
You could argue that a mother/daughter relationship between Ciri and Yennefer would have enhanced the game for all people, including new players. But that's pure specualtion and I personally disagree. I didn't miss the mother/daughter relationship from the books.. Imo it would just take away from the special relationship between Geralt and Ciri if a in comparison to these two, secondary character like Yennefer, has an as special and deep connection to the main character of the game (Ciri) as our hero and playable character (Geralt).

Don't get me wrong, I won't advocate more Yen/Ciri moments because I don't think they will add that much to the game, but also wouldn't mind if they implement them. As long as the rare father/daughter moments with Geralt are not affected. Adding Yennefer to the snowball fight or even Yennefer and even Triss (lol) to the Geralt/Ciri Novigrad time, like I have read today is egoistic. I got that you all adore Yennefer , but please don't try to ruin special and emotional moments for others. Especially if this moments are already in the game and rare in the first place. That reminds me of the Triss fanclub, who wanted to replace Vesemir and Phillipa with Triss to get more romance time. Though this time it's to replace father/daughter with whole "family" moments. That still changes the core of the scene and is therefore not better.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter that you think it's ooc. It's part of the canon and we can't just pretend that it didn't happen because we might not like it.
Yes it`s canon scene in game, but my point is Yennefer is strong independent woman and she is character with strong personality, who is bringed from books to games , so why rewrite her character in games, who read the books is confused - who is that woman ?. but who didn`t read books it doesen`t matter to them she is character they meet first time in W3 so that scene is practically unimportant to them, but for book readers is confusing.

Last edited:
Yes it`s canon in games, but my point is Yennefer is strong independent woman and she is character with strong personality, who is bringed from books to games , so why rewrite her character in games, who read the books is confused - who is that woman ?. but who didn`t read books it doesen`t matter to them she is character they meet first time in W3 so that scene is practically unimportant to them, but for book readers is confusing.
Even if you assume that they changed Yennefer's personality drastically, what I disagree with. She would be hardly the only one. Avalllac'h for instance is a strong personality as well and imo he has almost nothing in common with books Avallac'h. Games Triss also very much differs from books Triss.
I admit that the conversation is rather strange but I don't think it's completely ooc. We know from the books that sorceresses like to meddle with the lineage of others. According to one lodge meeting in Baptism of fire, Yennefer was also part of this meddling.If I'm not mistaken she was even part of the plan to marry Ciri with Tankred Tyssen to create a powerful and united northern state under the control of the lodge/sorceresses. Though to be fair, she regretted it afterwards and I don't believe she would do this with Ciri again. In the end it's CDP's continuation of the witcher saga and this is how they wrote it. We might not like it, but we have to accept it and deal with it as effectively as possible.

Last edited:
There are very few moments in the game, in which there is any interaction between these two. Thats probably the main reason why CDP replaced Yennefer with Vesemir in the balcony scene and why she seems to a bit happier to see Vesemir than Yennefer. Some pepple won't like to heear it, but showing a deep connection between Vesemir and Ciri was just more important in that moment.

"a deep connection" - which never existed in the first place and was basically invented by CDPR. I mean, they liked each other but that's it.
What CDPR did here, is basically producing something that never took place in the story, which is a 'deep' relationship between Ciri and Vesemir while completely ignoring something that is as canon as it can get (Yen/Ciri) - without any explaination whatsoever.

It would be totally fine if Ciri wasn't so 'enthusiastic' about Vesemir and then still showed some sadness over his death. Or if it was just Geralt - because after all, we are him, not Ciri -and Vesemir means 100% more to Geralt than to Ciri. THAT would be closer to reality.

Yeah, that's where I got this quote from. Was there anything written that contradicts this quote or did I misunderstand it? (serious question, as I have read the books in german)

Nothing that explicitly contradicts, nothing that explicitly proves. Rather indirect contradictions.

Nor Francesca, nor Philippa, nor hermit Sheala never worked with Yen on such topics as it seems from their dialogues with her and their attitude.

No signs of Yen's political activity were ever given in the books. Although she lived in Vengerberg, no one claimed that she has influence even on Demavend (Radcliff was a court mage-advisor). She became a member of Mage Council only after Sodden, few years ago - no info on her activities there given, as well.

Plan about Tankred was developed after creation of Lodge, so Yen has nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom