Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think many people just miss my point, i am not criticizing that you can romance Triss, it's just the how it is explained in that new dialogue and in particular the lie that this whole romance was already beginning in the books, before the amnesia, and what that means for Yennefer.

So i am not talking about Triss or her romance, otherwise I would go in other threads, i am talking about that CDPR says that the relationship Geralt and Yennefer had was a lie and sorry that is just meh, to say it friendly.

With the new dialogue, we can now, without a shadow of doubt, conclude that the djinn during the Last Wish quest has in fact cheated Geralt and Yen if they choose to remain together, as curse-less Geralt has always loved only Triss.

I don't think CDPR would drop that "He might have cheated us" line in without purpose, would they? We can safely assume than Geralt currently remains under the shackles of the curse which is preventing him from reaching his true love of more than 30 years (by now).

Last edited:
I think many people just miss my point, i am not criticizing that you can romance Triss, it's just the how it is explained in that new dialogue and in particular the lie that this whole romance was already beginning in the books, before the amnesia, and what that means for Yennefer.

So i am not talking about Triss or her romance, otherwise I would go in other threads, i am talking about that CDPR says that the relationship Geralt and Yennefer had was a lie and sorry that is just meh, to say it friendly.

Bioware tier fan service for Triss fans. However, you may be over-analyzing it though. You can simply ignore to romance Triss and conclude that dialogue never happened in your world of Geralt you're roleplaying as.

You can simply ignore to romance Triss and conclude that dialogue never happened in your world of Geralt you're roleplaying as.

I think the main point of "complains" - if Geralt choose Triss over Yenn, due to his new feelings or something else (take your pick) - the represent of this choice shouldn't deny the fact, that Geralt was deeply in love with Yenn in the past.

Bioware tier fan service for Triss fans.

Little offtopic

Just recall that Tali'Zorah thread got 47.000+ posts...players were asking to show her face...brrrr :evil:

Last edited:
I think the point is not the added content, but how the lines are disrespectful to the books and /or Yen. Geralt acts nice to Triss even if you broke her heart. But if you choose Triss, the new lines feels like "thank the gods i get rid of Yen", like she never meant anything to him.

The "I'm better now" and the justify that he gives Ciri why he choose Triss ("stormy relationship") are quite lame, the guy has been in a romance with Yen trough 20 years... It seems that he does not care about it at all, and that was quite annoying since The Last Wish quest, like he spent all this time with her just because of the Djinn (and the Yen fans were really ok with it). When you break Triss heart, the situation is really soft and respectful.

In other words, Triss is treated really nice by the devs/Geralt and Yennefer don't. I bet that Triss fans would not like if the devs added some quotes like "Yeah, i'm better than fine with Yen", "Triss, you should not have lied and hidden things to me, got what you deserved" or "Yeah, i'm finally together with the love of my life (in response to Triss)".

They wanted to make both romances equal, but things like this makes me wondering, if that was really the intention.

If Geralt can say that it is better with Triss, why can't he just say the same or something in equality about Yennefer? Like, "i am glad to regain my memory, because now i know what i missed the whole time."

Geralt was the one, who initiated the relationship with Yennefer in the books and this is how he thinks about the past? One thing is better and the other is just good? That everything he fought for in the books was actually a lie?

HE was the one who wanted Yennefer in the first place.

I mean, breaking a bed is something that one or two ex-girlfriends of mine would do on PMS...

That's why I agree that Yen is far better written.

I have seen and heard of much worse than that.

Yennefer vent herself on the bed and only on the bed, unless Geralt is nagging about it, even after being asked to stop, twice...

I think it was a nice way to show that the whole affair with Triss did bother her afterall, even though she pretends that it didn't bother her that much. The past is past, the present is more important.

Much better than a cat fight between both women.

Have been monitoring forum since 2014 but hard to avoid it and just read anymore.

I really love Yen. She's a great character but have to say that in the games Triss is a more obvious and smart choice for Geralt. Don't want to fall into details, I see that was already written months ago.
Just please let Geralt live with a normal life, after all he deserved it.

In my witcher universe I see Yennefer happy with Istredd (hope CDPR will make him alive or just will notice him in upcoming dlcs). So let them be happy.
Cheers.

Have been monitoring forum since 2014 but hard to avoid it and just read anymore.

I really love Yen. She's a great character but have to say that in the games Triss is a more obvious and smart choice for Geralt. Don't want to fall into details, I see that was already written months ago.
Just please let Geralt live with a normal life, after all he deserved it.

In my witcher universe I see Yennefer happy with Istredd (hope CDPR will make him alive or just will notice him in upcoming dlcs). So let them be happy.
Cheers.

Yennefer was ready to break up with him though for Geralt but he was too stupid to understand until the end in the "Shard of Ice". Besides, Istredd probably committed sucide, RIP..

While the (legit?) new lines are simply just lines for the sorceress of choice and don't change canon, a couple things bother me and I'm just throwing them out there, even if my thoughts aren't 100% about only Yennefer. (Within Opinion Land):

1) I don't understand why Yennefer is still the center of the Triss/Geralt romance in the new lines like there's nothing to talk about. How romantic, fulfilling, and so worth the wait for CDPR to prove and show how special Triss/Geralt is? If anything, they're still putting more importance on Yennefer and her history with Geralt. Absolutely nothing new and special that would make me, as a Yennefer/Geralt fan, want to choose Triss in my playthroughs.

2) I find it hard to support the new romance lines simply because they turn Geralt into a liar. IF the "always" comment refers to the events in the books as well, Geralt would be saying Triss's name in bed with nearly every woman, including with Yennefer. But he doesn't. It's Yennefer's name and it always has been. And before the "omg but the wish!!" crowd goes crazy, even after the wish is undone, there is no insane revelation that his whole romantic life has been a lie and he was nothing but a victim puppet with a whole fake romantic persona besides saying the magic was gone (if you choose it) and that's not indicative of a victim who is finally free of nothing short of torture. The wish never stopped him from having sex with anyone he wanted to or even loving anyone (Fringilla, for example, whom he says he loves in his own way which could even be taken in a more personal sense). If the wish couldn't even do that, it wouldn't stop Geralt from saying Triss's name if she is who he loved "always". Just to repeat, Geralt's wish with Yennefer was so powerful that Yennefer's slave Geralt couldn't say Triss's name in bed, yet had sex with all the women he wanted and told someone other than Yennefer that he loved them. You'd think that with all the personal thoughts we've been given by Geralt throughout the books, he'd say much more about his true love Triss considering, as proven, this is outside the power of the wish? At least have the sense to make him say something that suits both game canon and book canon (as best as you can) if it's going to be taken seriously. The "always" line is either Geralt's pillow talk or a complete lazy joke by the devs/whoever wrote it.

If I were a part of TT, I'd be bothered that they didn't make my choice valid within both the canon of the games AND books, and would want something to differentiate how special my chosen couple is instead of being reminded of Geralt's time with Yennefer yet again. Not to mention that an all encompassing "always" should even get a huge eyeroll from Triss herself. She shouldn't be that gullible and I wouldn't expect her to be because it only disrespects them both and how far all three of them have come. Acknowledge the past and move on from it, don't go back and say "I was like this all along!" and expect everyone to believe it. For those who do love and respect the new lines, enjoy them. That's why the extra time was taken to put them there. CDPR values us and their games enough for that and I'm thankful.

Opinions though. If the developers want us to disregard the books completely, at least tell us instead of giving us The World of The Witcher book which clearly explains the importance of them being the past of these great characters. Overwriting an important aspect for the sake of the fans literally turns things into fan fiction.

I hope you didn't forget to press "report" button...

No, why would I report?

You are, 80% of your post was a about Triss and her past and a fanfiction written by somebody who clearly doesn't hold her in the highest of esteems... I have some fanfictions written about Yennefer and Geralt "putting her" in her place, but I don't post them in the other LI's thread seeking validation. In fact writing them actually made me realize her character and her actions better and how I might have gone overboard in my reactions in the past, when it was all doom and gloom...

You guys already have a game where Yen featured 200% more than Triss, has a song, everybody talks about her, is included in the non romance parts as well and has whole sections dedicated to the two of them alone... and yet you complain about the scraps we get... these (if they even exist) were supposed to be "fixes" to the Triss arc but they made it so both paths have new stuff... and so the imbalance continues... but I don't mind that much, at least I got something...

But it seems to me that you guys just want everybody to go for Yen and for the people who choose differently to realize the "wrongness" of their ways, by having an arc with Triss that is all about guilt, deceit, betrayals and sad faces...

For the people who chose her, then it is clear those issues are not really issues or at least understand them, so they don't care about them and don't want them featured prominently in an already very short arc...

For those who do care and feel betrayed etc, they can choose Yen and forget about Triss... everybody wins...

The whole point is the badmouthing about Yen and Geralt relationship with the new dialogue if you choose Triss.

It feels like CDPR doesn't care about Yennefer, lore and her fans at all, actually. The treatment would be equal if Geralt said something like "Now i'm better and with the love of my life " line about romancing Yen. Just this and no one would complain... Yen never complains about Triss relationship health and status, Geralt never says anything bad about Triss (and look, she took advantage of him, the guy had amnesia) and you can even mock Yen, you will not see any line if you talk to Ciri about how Triss lied to him, but they just throw some quotes quite like "she is a bitch" about Yennefer, and trough Geralt's lips!!!

Last edited:
Would you kindly share it pls?

No, I don't consider them valid anymore. It was mainly related to the lake throwing scene and how Geralt and the rest of the witchers react and form a plan... but the deeper I got into the context of the situation the more I realized what was in Yennefer mind at the moment and how, even if somewhat wrong, her reaction is understandable... and even if Geralt doesn't want to continue their relationship, I believe he still cares enough for her to understand her and not humiliate her...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom