Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I get the feeling the reason why we all talk that much about romances is that the choice which woman we romance is pretty much the only meaningful and hard decision for Geralt that really creates an emotional attachment for some people (and probably for Geralt himself, in a figurative way).

I guess we wouldn't talk that much about Yennefer (and Triss) if the game offered any other meaningful and hard choices for Geralt that are important for him on a personal level.

I wish there would have been the possibility that some of Geralt's closed ones or loved ones could die, maybe even Yen. But CDPR apparently didn't have the balls for that. Instead of making Witcher 3 the best possible RPG, they literally turned it into a waifu simulator with some attached stories and it shows in this thread and in others. If that was the concept of the game CDPR did a good job. But I fear that this wasn't the original intention for this game and that us discussing these topics that much is just an indication that they seriously fucked up the C&C component beyond the romance stuff...

If you had to choose, whom would you try to safe: Yen or Ciri? Yen or Dandelion? Yen or Triss? Just think about the possibilities (and it's just one basic example) and the various consequences. But instead of something like that we got a pretty much linear waifu simulator with some rather small decisions in sidequests and at the beginning of the main quest but nothing really important for Geralt or the player. And so we're here to discuss Yennefer, because there is nothing else to discuss (well, beyond the fucked up story and lore in general)...

:blink:

Pretty much this. I mean, think Skellige, when they chose their new ruler. I couldn't give a flying fudge. I really couldn't. I had more attachment to level 3 drowner back at the White Orchard fields... There was simply not enough meaningful content that really drew you in, made you carefully consider exactly what could hit the fan should you continue down your chosen path. Could well be the reason many grew attached to Yen/Triss.

But that said, I feel Yen is quite the major part of the lore (yeah, yeah, books and blah) and should be discussed simply because she's the Darth Vader of my Star Wars - overarching characters, yo!

Maybe, but then another part of it could just be that there's not much contention in other areas, they aren't so controversial and so don't get talked about as much. I doubt you are going to split the community on a discussion of who should rule Skellige for instance.

I don't see the controversy here either tbh. If there is any controversy amongst the community it's just about people who want to impose their own view of things on others.

And who should rule Skellige is no meaningful or hard decision for Geralt. Such a decision has to be personal, about stuff he really cares about (you know, like Yen or Triss). He doesn't give a fuck about who rules Skellige so why should the player care that much? And that's the point. There are no personal, hard, meaningful decisions in this game beyond whom you romance...

I don't see the controversy here either tbh. If there is any controversy amongst the community it's just about people who want to impose their own view of things on others.

And who should rule Skellige is no meaningful or hard decision for Geralt. Such a decision has to be personal, about stuff he really cares about (you know, like Yen or Triss). He doesn't give a fuck about who rules Skellige so why should the player care that much? And that's the point. There are no personal, hard, meaningful decisions in this game beyond whom you romance...

I miss Geralt of Rivia...

If you had to choose, whom would you try to safe: Yen or Ciri? Yen or Dandelion? Yen or Triss? Just think about the possibilities (and it's just one basic example) and the various consequences. But instead of something like that we got a pretty much linear waifu simulator with some rather small decisions in sidequests and at the beginning of the main quest but nothing really important for Geralt or the player. And so we're here to discuss Yennefer, because there is nothing else to discuss (well, beyond the fucked up story and lore in general)...

:blink:

I dunno, that would make it too close to the Game of Thrones and Telltale games The Walking Dead. To be honest, while interesting and engaging, it's not really Sapkowski's style.
He never killed any main characters, in Lady of the Lake, Geralt's entire party got killed, but not the main characters.
Even in the end, their death is more symbolic and part of the message he was trying to convey.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if we had the option to sacrifice Geralt (and Yen), to save Ciri. It would be more in sync with the whole circle of life theme. It would be in sync with the Witcher style, no witcher dies in bed. And it would've provided a more realistic doze of reality, instead of happy endings.

But you are correct. We simply have nothing else to talk about.

I dunno, that would make it too close to the Game of Thrones and Telltale games The Walking Dead. To be honest, while interesting and engaging, it's not really Sapkowski's style.
He never killed any main characters, in Lady of the Lake, Geralt's entire party got killed, but not the main characters.
Even in the end, their death is more symbolic and part of the message he was trying to convey.
Well, a symbolic death is still a meaningful death, even more so than a "simple" death. If a death is symbolic it has meaning in itself. It's not arbitrary. Nobody said people's deaths in TW3 shouldn't have any sybmolism... (but then again CDPR is terribly bad at that stuff)...

Well, the "life or death" decision is just the most drastic one. There are a lot of less drastic decisions that could work. Still there is none. Not even one.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if we had the option to sacrifice Geralt (and Yen), to save Ciri. It would be more in sync with the whole circle of life theme. It would be in sync with the Witcher style, no witcher dies in bed. And it would've provided a more realistic doze of reality, instead of happy endings.
This.

(I started to write a new ending for TW3, by the way. It offers a lot more meaningful choice and tries to preserve Sapkowski's symbolism as much as possible, erasing the currently implemented lore rape. Hope I can show it to you guys soon...)

Last edited:
Well, a symbolic death is still a meaningful death, even more so that a "simple" death. If a death is symbolic it has meaning in itself. It's not arbitrary. Nobody said people's deaths in TW3 shouldn't have any sybmolism... (but then again CDPR is terribly bad at that stuff)...

Well, the "life or death" decision is just the most drastic one. There are a lot of less drastic decisions that could work. Still there is none. Not even one.

This.

(I started to write a new ending for TW3, by the way. It offers a lot more meaningful choice and tries to preserve Sapkowski's symbolism as much as possible, erasing the currently implemented lore rape. Hope I can show it to you guys soon...)

It's really funny how Witcher 1 still stands as a champion in some things. I remember the debates being had between the THREE paths we could choose, between the knights, non humans and neutral witcher path. Then down to 2 paths in Witcher 2, only to be shat on with the only path in Witcher 3, which turns out to be the only path from Witcher 2.

Those three paths from Witcher 1 represented a completely different view and way of thinking. It had a lot to account for and made it truly interesting. By bringing in the Nilfgaard instead of the Squirrels, they've lost the whole thing. No more moral debate and difficult choices throughout the game, only preferential choices.

Anyways, too much offtopic, I hope your ending starts after the Kaer Morhen battle ;)

Anyways, too much offtopic, I hope your ending starts after the Kaer Morhen battle ;)
One last word on it here (since it's off-topic and I'm sorry about it): it will be mostly just about the very end. It starts with Geralts fight against Eredin. Although much of what comes right before is in dire need of improvements as well it would probably blow the scale of my attempt so I restriceted myself to the very end for now. Still enough to think about. ;)

I'm they Shani argument guy.

There would be a piece of cake being able to start TW2 without Triss on bed. Red decided not to do it, so I will aways call the choice consequence reason for fixing Triss PR damage control.

But I'm done with this game. Just finishing my second playtrough in order to get my PS4 Platinum. After that back to Bloodborne, still need to finish all Chalice dungeons before expansion.

Uff..nice being back from the exile :D

I've been trying to catch up with this thread so ofc I've seen the 'hottest' topic right now which are those new leaked dialogues. Here are my two cents. Let's start with the positives:

Yennefer&Gervant Geralt

To be honest, I didn't expect CDPR to add any romance scenes regarding Yen at all. After all most of us here were already satisfied(or at least mostly satisfied) with the content we already have. But it's a nice surprise and it's good that they're thinking about both 'teams', and not just Triss fans.
The dialogues themselves (Y&G) are pretty good and in character (what's important,they're not cringeworthy as opposed to the other option*ekhm* *ekhm*).I especially like this bit about Yen(?) counting seconds while doing god -knows-what with Geralt and when she says that he's "still one of the prettiest witchers around in her book, second only to Lambert" :rofl:

The negatives:

Geralt&Triss - but not the whole thing of course but only the 'inafmous' piece about Geralt loving Triss "always". All I can say is...sigh. When I first saw it I was annoyed, of course. But then I thought about it and..well. Let's be real - is it lore breaking? Yes. Absolutely. More - it's a lie. Is it the first time the games do that? No. First example ; The Last Wish quest, or more precisely the breaking up version of this quest. It's as lore-damaging as it can get. So this one extra line, as bullshit as it is, just adds to the whole path CDPR has already taken with the Triss choice. Not to mention that it's a very low-quality type of line. It's not deep, it sounds empty and not like something Geralt of Rivia would ever say.

CIRI (!!)
Holy shit. I don't get this girl at all. She's a stranger to me in this game. (I hoped for a nice little exchange between her and Yen in the additions but of course - not gonna happen as I see it).
Damn. Let's start with the option when you dump Yen. Ciri's reaction to it is simply ridiculous. Not only isn't she surprised, she also seems to be HAPPY (!!) about it. Like it's something good that Geralt finally get rid of Yennefer (lmfao). The same Ciri who was probably the biggest shipper of them and always wanted them to be together. The same girl who witnessed their death and then transported them to the other 'world' so they can live there for eternity. To her there shouldn't be anything more normal than Geralt going for Yen. But what happens? She doesn't express even a hint of sadness or confusion about the whole situation. Her reaction is more or less patting Geralt on the back, like a good man he is. That's it. That's your "choice and consequence" according to CDPR...

That's why I agree with people that those 'additions' (if legit) don't add anything beside more content. They're not enriching anytning and especially don't encourage me to ever romance Triss. I hope it's still not too late to do something about it and change some of them because...meh.

Last edited:
Holy shit. I don't get this girl at all. She's a stranger to me in this game.
No big suprise. Ciri was a mere plot tool (which is pretty funny/weird when you think about the fact that she is supposed to be the main hero in the plot...) without having any believable and consistent character herself in the game already. She's basically pretty much indifferent about everything. So what did you expect? That she will suddenly call Yen mommy and treat her like that in a short new scene while all the other scenes in the game still imply the opposite?

Last edited:
Holy shit. I don't get this girl at all. She's a stranger to me in this game./QUOTE]
No big suprise. Ciri was a mere plot tool without any own believable and consistent character in the game already. She's basically pretty much indifferent about everything. S what did you expect? That she will suddenly call Yen mommy in a new scene while all the other scenes in the game still imply the opposite?

I agree with you. I was never happy with Ciri in this game. But still it saddens me than instead of at least trying to make it a bit better, those 'changes' only strengthen the bad impression I already had.

Uff..nice being back from the exile :D

I've been trying to catch up with this thread so ofc I've seen the 'hottest' topic right now which are those new leaked dialogues. Here are my two cents. Let's start with the positives:

CIRI (!!)
Holy shit. I don't get this girl at all. She's a stranger to me in this game. (I hoped for a nice little exchange between her and Yen in the additions but of course - not gonna happen as I see it).
Damn. Let's start with the option when you dump Yen. Ciri's reaction to it is simply ridiculous. Not only isn't she surprised, she also seems to be HAPPY (!!) about it. Like it's something good that Geralt finally get rid of Yennefer (lmfao). The same Ciri who was probably the biggest shipper of them and always wanted them to be together. The same girl who witnessed their death and then transported them to the other 'world' so they can live there for eternity. To her there shouldn't be anything more normal than Geralt going for Yen. But what happens? She doesn't express even a hint of sadness or confusion about the whole situation. Her reaction is more or less patting Geralt on the back, like a good man he is. That's it. That's your "choice and consequence" according to CDPR...

That's why I agree with people that those 'additions' (if legit) don't add anything beside more content. They're not enriching anytning and especially don't encourage me to ever romance Triss. I hope it's still not too late to do something about it and change some of them because...meh.
First, Welcome back my friend!
Second, In this game, Ciri is not the character we know and love, she's just a tool, a plot device CDPR uses for their story.

Geralt&Triss - but not the whole thing of course but only the 'inafmous' piece about Geralt loving Triss "always". All I can say is...sigh. When I first saw it I was annoyed, of course. But then I thought about it and..well. Let's be real - is it lore breaking? Yes. Absolutely. More - it's a lie. Is it the first time the games do that? No. First example ; The Last Wish quest, or more precisely the breaking up version of this quest. It's as lore-damaging as it can get. So this one extra line, as bullshit as it is, just adds to the whole path CDPR has already taken with the Triss choice. Not to mention that it's a very low-quality type of line. It's not deep, it sounds empty and not like something Geralt of Rivia would ever say.

I get what you are saying.
But you are probably like me a book guy. And the big picture i see after reading books and playing games is still Yennefer :heart:Geralt.
As far as the game goes, it gives Triss fans a chance to 'dump' Yennefer. And to be fair it is kinda well done in that way, so that team Triss gets their moment.
There are many people who don't know Yennefer, and her 'coldness' seems to be repeling them off, too bad for them :)

CIRI (!!)

I totally agree with this.

It's good that Yen will(supposedly) get a new content,but honestly,all her additions are really unnecessary.Especially the dialogue in which Geralt asks her again if she feels any different after they took away the wish.Didn't we already establish that nothing has changed for her?I'd rather ask Yen why she trusts Emhyr so much,or what does she think of Philippa's plans,or why doesn't Rita wash herself.You know,plot stuff.

CIRI (!!)

Don't agree at all. Ciri does express surprise, asks how it happened but at the end of the day she's happy for Geralt, which in my opinion a quite understandable reaction.

I think the additions overall are enriching and if they turn out to be true i'm very much looking forward to playing through game with them.

Damn. Let's start with the option when you dump Yen. Ciri's reaction to it is simply ridiculous. Not only isn't she surprised, she also seems to be HAPPY (!!) about it.

Why u think so? She didn't say any words about "happy" G&T...just ask questions. (Of course she didn't tell Geralt abuse things...)

In case with G&Y she says: "You know… perhaps it's not my concern, but… I'm glad you and Yennefer have ended up together.". Mb for someone not the best writing, but still Ciri glad they are together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom