Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attempting to start a new topic: what do we know about Yen's politics? In-game she seems resigned to her position with the imperial court, but I'm trying to think about how "political" Yen is from the books.

-Sodden: We know Yen fought for the North at Sodden, suggesting some sort of patriotism in her earlier life?
-Vengerberg: Yen lived in Aedirn's capital city, but no one ever refers to her as an advisor to Demavend. It seems like she was not very involved in the royal court there?
-Thanedd: Yen seems completely out of the loop about the two factions (maybe because she has been with Ciri hiding from other mages?). She obeys Tissaia but does not seem to be on any particular side.
-Royal marriages and genetics: There are hints from the books that Yen was involved (with Francesca and others) in manipulating royal marriages for genetic experiments. In this case politics is a tool, but not her real interest.
-Lodge: Yen flees from the Lodge to search for Ciri on her own, but after Stygga she decides to bring Ciri to the Lodge. Hard to tell if Yen agrees with the Lodge's plan in the end or just thinks there is no choice.

So, I'm asking opinions- how "political" is Yen? It seems to me the answer is "not very," and her leaving the Emperor at the end of the game is in character. Perhaps she was more political when she was younger, but got burned out after a while?
She also used to work with Dijkstra, although we don't know for how long.

Soo, do you think I can post it like that at Reddit maybe? Or should I change something?

499 pages now :)

Hello,
My name is Pascal, better known as Kallelinski in the forums, and with this document I want to show you, players and readers, who Yennefer of Vengerberg actually is, because there are a lot of misunderstandings & -judgments about her, her importance in this world and her relationship to Geralt of Rivia and Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon or how she wanted to be called at the end of the books, Cirilla of Vengerberg.

Curious why the desire to change her surname? Well, I am here to help or to be more accurate a whole community wants to help. I didn’t want to do this with just summaries, but with comments by actual people, to show their devotion, passion and helpfulness for this franchise. Just the beginning is taken from the official The World of the Witcher book and the official Artbook by CDPR.

Some users only played the games, some also read the books, so this document can present you a variety of opinions built on different sources.

I would like to warn you that many comments contain also book spoilers, so be carefully what you read, especially the second half of the document.

Since the second half of this document is rather addressed to CDPR himself, by fans who wanted to voice some critical points about the game and her portrayal in it, to suggest some ideas for an update like a possible Enhanced Edition or have just hopes for some changes by a patch for the future.

I hope this document will show you who Yennefer of Vengerberg really is, maybe this will help a lot of people to understand her better and stop those prejudices people have about her.

I know that this document is massive and it’s growing, because I update it almost weekly, but it isn’t necessary to read everything, you can just go through it and read whatever you want. You can also just click right next to the nickname to get to the original post in the forums, where everybody is cordially invited to discuss with others about her and asking questions.

There are a lot of people, who are willing to help.

Attempting to start a new topic: what do we know about Yen's politics? In-game she seems resigned to her position with the imperial court, but I'm trying to think about how "political" Yen is from the books.

-Sodden: We know Yen fought for the North at Sodden, suggesting some sort of patriotism in her earlier life?
-Vengerberg: Yen lived in Aedirn's capital city, but no one ever refers to her as an advisor to Demavend. It seems like she was not very involved in the royal court there?
-Thanedd: Yen seems completely out of the loop about the two factions (maybe because she has been with Ciri hiding from other mages?). She obeys Tissaia but does not seem to be on any particular side.
-Royal marriages and genetics: There are hints from the books that Yen was involved (with Francesca and others) in manipulating royal marriages for genetic experiments. In this case politics is a tool, but not her real interest.
-Lodge: Yen flees from the Lodge to search for Ciri on her own, but after Stygga she decides to bring Ciri to the Lodge. Hard to tell if Yen agrees with the Lodge's plan in the end or just thinks there is no choice.

So, I'm asking opinions- how "political" is Yen? It seems to me the answer is "not very," and her leaving the Emperor at the end of the game is in character. Perhaps she was more political when she was younger, but got burned out after a while?

(She was also the youngest member of the Council of Mages). I think with age, she got bored of it. Or rather after meeting Geralt and Ciri she realized that she doesn't care about it anymore as there are far more important matters to her (maybe)

By all means :)

Well, posted it on reddit now, I hope people find it interesting enough.

Thank you for all your great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom