Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So in W1 your with that one chick (its escaped my mind)

W2 your with triss since you wake up in the bed with her

W3 your supposed to be with Yenn ?

Thats how the story goes im guessing? Obviously not the whole story but the relationship part of it. Just a man out for answers is all!

Plus who could resist violet eyes..

In W1 you can choose between Shani or Triss or neither, giving Alvin to one of them kinda locked you onto one woman, but i wouldn't count that as "together".

In W2 CDPR shipped you to Triss by default, it didn't matter what you do or did before that. You also can't really change that through the game, because before you can actually have a serious talk with Triss, she is missing and you won't find her until the end of the game. That's why many suspected we will have this serious talk in Witcher 3, but we haven't really.

At the end of W2 Geralt has regained his full memory and leaves Triss for good, just like he always do with the ladies, when Yennefer is calling.

So at the start of W3 you are, well, i can't really say for sure, as the game is quite ambiguous about that.

Geralt and Yennefer never split up in reality, on the contrary the very start of the games is how Geralt follows the Wild Hunt, because they kidnapped Yennefer to lure Ciri out of her hideout. Apparently it didn't work so well for the Wild Hunt, but neither for Geralt, because he couldn't defeat the Wild Hunt and get Yennefer back, so instead he offered the king of the Wild Hunt his life in exchange for Yennefer's. The King accepted, took Geralt and released Yennefer. Unfortunately she got captured by Nilfgaard and was imprisoned by Emhyr for quite a while.

That's the last time they saw each other, when Geralt offered his life for her and that's not from the books, but from the game story. The next time they meet is in White Orchard, so are they still in a relationship? Kinda? It's more or less in a state like it was always in the books.

Does Yennefer think the same? Probably? When you talk with her in Wizima, she doesn't look or appear like everything is set at zero again, like they need to start the relationship over again, especially considering that she knows that he got his memories back, she would assume that everything is back at normal, like at the end of the books. The kiss at the end even suggests it, i would say.

If she would be worrying about his devotion at this point, she would have addressed it, but she didn't really, on the contrary she almost only talked about Ciri. It's like the short relationship Geralt had with Triss (and/or Shani, even though the game doesn't recognize it....) is almost not worth mentioning by her, because that's nothing new for her, it's already in the past.

Should she be more furious about it? Maybe? If you consider in what state they were at the end of the books, you would assume that both of them would go into hell and back for each other, and they did, so maybe she is just trusting Geralt that that thing with Triss was again just a minor sidestep.

Maybe she even pardons him, because of his amnesia, but she would never ever say that, but it would explain why she is almost reserved in accusations towards him, except if you decide to leave her, then she will let her wraith go wild, if you insist on it.

All in all i would say they are in the same situation like they were in the books, so for me personally it has never changed, they are in a relationship. Especially if you consider that this time again (Thanedd Banquet was the former last time) neither of them left the other one voluntary, they were forced apart by the Wild Hunt and not by relationship issues.

I have to admit thinking about this again, makes me appreciate more the way Yennefer appears now in the games, but i have to elucidate that tomorrow, bed is calling.

---------- Updated at 04:55 AM ----------

Oh, and if they meet again at Skellige, their dialogue is even more indicating that's it is indeed in the same state as before, especially if it ends in unicorn sex it seals the deal for me.

Last edited:
In W1 you can choose between Shani or Triss or neither, giving Alvin to one of them kinda locked you onto one woman, but i wouldn't count that as "together".

In W2 CDPR shipped you to Triss by default, it didn't matter what you do or did before that. You also can't really change that through the game, because before you can actually have a serious talk with Triss, she is missing and you won't find her until the end of the game. That's why many suspected we will have this serious talk in Witcher 3, but we haven't really.

At the end of W2 Geralt has regained his full memory and leaves Triss for good, just like he always do with the ladies, when Yennefer is calling.

So at the start of W3 you are, well, i can't really say for sure, as the game is quite ambiguous about that.

Geralt and Yennefer never split up in reality, on the contrary the very start of the games is how Geralt follows the Wild Hunt, because they kidnapped Yennefer to lure Ciri out of her hideout. Apparently it didn't work so well for the Wild Hunt, but neither for Geralt, because he couldn't defeat the Wild Hunt and get Yennefer back, so instead he offered the king of the Wild Hunt his life in exchange for Yennefer's. The King accepted, took Geralt and released Yennefer. Unfortunately she got captured by Nilfgaard and was imprisoned by Emhyr for quite a while.

That's the last time they saw each other, when Geralt offered his life for her and that's not from the books, but from the game story. The next time they meet is in White Orchard, so are they still in a relationship? Kinda? It's more or less in a state like it was always in the books.

Does Yennefer think the same? Probably? When you talk with her in Wizima, she doesn't look or appear like everything is set at zero again, like they need to start the relationship over again, especially considering that she knows that he got his memories back, she would assume that everything is back at normal, like at the end of the books. The kiss at the end even suggests it, i would say.

If she would be worrying about his devotion at this point, she would have addressed it, but she didn't really, on the contrary she almost only talked about Ciri. It's like the short relationship Geralt had with Triss (and/or Shani, even though the game doesn't recognize it....) is almost not worth mentioning by her, because that's nothing new for her, it's already in the past.

Should she be more furious about it? Maybe? If you consider in what state they were at the end of the books, you would assume that both of them would go into hell and back for each other, and they did, so maybe she is just trusting Geralt that that thing with Triss was again just a minor sidestep.

Maybe she even pardons him, because of his amnesia, but she would never ever say that, but it would explain why she is almost reserved in accusations towards him, except if you decide to leave her, then she will let her wraith go wild, if you insist on it.

All in all i would say they are in the same situation like they were in the books, so for me personally it has never changed, they are in a relationship. Especially if you consider that this time again (Thanedd Banquet was the former last time) neither of them left the other one voluntary, they were forced apart by the Wild Hunt and not by relationship issues.

I have to admit thinking about this again, makes me appreciate more the way Yennefer appears now in the games, but i have to elucidate that tomorrow, bed is calling.

---------- Updated at 04:55 AM ----------

Oh, and if they meet again at Skellige, their dialogue is even more indicating that's it is indeed in the same state as before, especially if it ends in unicorn sex it seals the deal for me.

To me i just think he has a better relationship with Yennefer, things like the unicorn sex. Thats one of a kind relationship.

Not exactly, but

aww yeah this touch is visible in the game for a moment - thanks for the pic! :heart:

---------- Updated at 04:40 AM ----------

You're right and it's weird. Actually Triss is the much more flawed character in TW3.Why is that so? As you've said correctly, her primary internal conflict is guild and remorse. And she obviously fails the means to deal with it properly. She's still the insecure girl of the books which leads her doing some kind of "evasive actions" instead of truly tackling her inner demons. She fails to see that her problems cannot be solved by trying to safe the world or dying for some higher cause - it can only be solved by facing one's own guilt and accepting its consequences. As I've said before, CDPR denied her the chance for katharsis in Witcher 3, they denied her the chance for truly getting to terms with her past, overcoming her remorse and growing stronger as a person. There is no personal challenge she has to deal with, nobody challenge her although both Geralt and Yennfer should naturally do so, giving Triss the chance to either grow or fall completely. So she's not a Disney princess at all, she's pretty much a hunted person who's still looking for a place in life. And no matter how Geralt behaves in TW3, he can't change that because Triss herself never got things straightened out with herself. She never finally dealt with her guilt, she never showed Geralt her true dedication the way Yen already did. I can feel why some Triss fans are disappointed with her character in TW3. The biggest issue with her is not the lacking screen time but that she nearly doesn't grow at all as a character in TW3 (compared to TW2). It's kind of cruel that CDPR was so cruel to her...

Yennefer on the other hand, she's already gone through everything. She's already went through katharsis. She already realized what's important to her. She's strong, upright, determined. She has got things straightened out with herself. She ultimately doesn't care what other people thinkg about her. She might come across arrogant that way, even vile. That might intimidate or irritate some people. But Geralt, he isn't afraid of strong women and he knows that Yen's motivations are pure and in line with his own. They both know that they care about the very same thing. That's what makes them stronger together. The problem with Yen is that a newcomer to the series doesn't necessarily know her histroy, her progress, her katharsis. A newcomer can't understand her relationship to Geralt and especially Ciri the way a longtime fan can. And that makes Yen looking more vile than she actually is. Instead of appearing confident and dedicated to a cause both Geralt and her shares she appears more vile and "bitchy". And yes, she is bitchy, but Geralt can deal with it. He's cynical, she's bitchy. It's part of their teasing game, part of the erotic tension between them. The problem for CDPR in TW3 is of course that Yennefer is a "fully grown" character already. There isn't much you can do with her that show's progress to what's she already done before. She can't get "better" in TW3 since as a literary character she's already fully developed.

It's really weird. When you compare both characters from a theoretical perspective Yen is the more developed, the more grown up character, a character who has already gone through extensive katharsis. Triss on the other hand, is pretty much CDPR's very own character, although she's of course based on book Triss. But compared to Yen or of course Geralt she had way less space to develop in the books. Except her possible (hardly developed) kathartic moment at the very end of the book she's still pretty much an blank page before Witcher 1. And she's become CDPR's biggest "own" character during TW2. That they denied this character true closure in Witcher 3, the end of their triology, is both cruel and weird. It's cruel to the charcters and cruel to her fans.And it's weird because one would think that giving depth to one of your "own" biggest characters was on of your top priorities in a game like that, truly showing of character design skills (instead of just building on the ones of one guy called Sapkowski...)

This post deserves to be on the first page. :like:

---------- Updated at 04:42 AM ----------

:like:Nothing's changed

---------- Updated at 05:09 AM ----------

Tattoo of the day :shock::

---------- Updated at 05:28 AM ----------

New sketch from JustAnoR

You're right and it's weird. Actually Triss is the much more flawed character in TW3.Why is that so? As you've said correctly, her primary internal conflict is guild and remorse. And she obviously fails the means to deal with it properly. She's still the insecure girl of the books which leads her doing some kind of "evasive actions" instead of truly tackling her inner demons. She fails to see that her problems cannot be solved by trying to safe the world or dying for some higher cause - it can only be solved by facing one's own guilt and accepting its consequences. As I've said before, CDPR denied her the chance for katharsis in Witcher 3, they denied her the chance for truly getting to terms with her past, overcoming her remorse and growing stronger as a person. There is no personal challenge she has to deal with, nobody challenge her although both Geralt and Yennfer should naturally do so, giving Triss the chance to either grow or fall completely. So she's not a Disney princess at all, she's pretty much a hunted person who's still looking for a place in life. And no matter how Geralt behaves in TW3, he can't change that because Triss herself never got things straightened out with herself. She never finally dealt with her guilt, she never showed Geralt her true dedication the way Yen already did. I can feel why some Triss fans are disappointed with her character in TW3. The biggest issue with her is not the lacking screen time but that she nearly doesn't grow at all as a character in TW3 (compared to TW2). It's kind of cruel that CDPR was so cruel to her...

Yennefer on the other hand, she's already gone through everything. She's already went through katharsis. She already realized what's important to her. She's strong, upright, determined. She has got things straightened out with herself. She ultimately doesn't care what other people thinkg about her. She might come across arrogant that way, even vile. That might intimidate or irritate some people. But Geralt, he isn't afraid of strong women and he knows that Yen's motivations are pure and in line with his own. They both know that they care about the very same thing. That's what makes them stronger together. The problem with Yen is that a newcomer to the series doesn't necessarily know her histroy, her progress, her katharsis. A newcomer can't understand her relationship to Geralt and especially Ciri the way a longtime fan can. And that makes Yen looking more vile than she actually is. Instead of appearing confident and dedicated to a cause both Geralt and her shares she appears more vile and "bitchy". And yes, she is bitchy, but Geralt can deal with it. He's cynical, she's bitchy. It's part of their teasing game, part of the erotic tension between them. The problem for CDPR in TW3 is of course that Yennefer is a "fully grown" character already. There isn't much you can do with her that show's progress to what's she already done before. She can't get "better" in TW3 since as a literary character she's already fully developed.

It's really weird. When you compare both characters from a theoretical perspective Yen is the more developed, the more grown up character, a character who has already gone through extensive katharsis. Triss on the other hand, is pretty much CDPR's very own character, although she's of course based on book Triss. But compared to Yen or of course Geralt she had way less space to develop in the books. Except her possible (hardly developed) kathartic moment at the very end of the book she's still pretty much an blank page before Witcher 1. And she's become CDPR's biggest "own" character during TW2. That they denied this character true closure in Witcher 3, the end of their triology, is both cruel and weird. It's cruel to the charcters and cruel to her fans.And it's weird because one would think that giving depth to one of your "own" biggest characters was on of your top priorities in a game like that, truly showing of character design skills (instead of just building on the ones of one guy called Sapkowski...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom