Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this poll in another thread but I think it's also relevant here, considering the fewest participants think the lackluster interactions between Yen and other characters are the biggest problem with the game.
Luckily the Triss romance is also not as important as someone reading only this forum would think, considering 60%++ of this forum's posts seem to be about Triss and Yen.
The poll is in no way representative, but with 2200+ voters still a lot more significant than the maybe 200 active users of this forum.

I posted this poll in another thread but I think it's also relevant here, considering the fewest participants think the lackluster interactions between Yen and other characters are the biggest problem with the game.
Luckily the Triss romance is also not as important as someone reading only this forum would think, considering 60%++ of this forum's posts seem to be about Triss and Yen.
The poll is in no way representative, but with 2200+ voters still a lot more significant than the maybe 200 active users of this forum.

Looks like the poll was instead.dominated by people who are incapable of accepting what "ending" is.

I don't quite understand why people are so upset about characters disappearing after the game ends, after the game ended I stopped playing and started again, so it doesn't bother me. I mean, Inquisition had characters standing about after the game ends, they say one line and thats it.

But if compare with this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-15-00-10-27.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-15-00-10-27.png
    345.6 KB · Views: 132
With debug console and freecam You can.

Wait, how?

When i activate it, the only way to pause ingame was for me to open the menu by pressing ESC, so it pause and you can still free roam, but how do you do that in a cutscene?

Where is better to put them all together?

I prefer imgur, but they covert anything to jpg, also they "optimize" gifs.

I have used recently
http://www.photobucket.com/
looked good so far.

Has anyone tried skipping Yen's personal quest? There is actually an option to apologize to her afterwards (in Vizima), though she just brushes you off. Small little tidbit but I thought it was a really nice touch.

It's still worrying though that a whole aspect of the games, the politics, is less wished to be revisited.

I would put the poltics and the Wild Hunt at the top despite being a huge fan of Yennefer.

Anyway, this just agitates me too much again. I hoped this kind of thinking would stick with Bioware, guessed wrong... i will kill some monsters to calm down...

Let's see if CDPR actually cares for all problems and not just few, because the RED comments here haven't convinced me either, that's why i also never commented it.

Once this community was making fun out of Bioware romances and now they are asking for the same, times have changed, still now sure whether for better or worse.

Sorry for that rant, i will come back tomorrow, hopefully with a better state of mind..

Found this again, so at least the post has some kind of meaning.

Of those options all are actually valid improvements for the game.

I would put The Wild Hunt and the Post Game State (more of a prestige thing, modders can do it and will do it when RedKit comes out, but getting annihilated by people that work for free... I want to spare CDPR that) as biggest priorities. Then Yen and Triss equally.

I like politics... and would love if it were to be a bigger topic in game. Just that... I wanted a game with a more personal story...

I feel like it was smart for CDPR not to press politics too much, Geralt hates them, and people who know what they're doing, like Phil and Yen mention that he's terrible at them.

Okay guys, it's time for another book to in game Yen analysis session.

Previously, we've discussed Yen's character introduction from the book and Sapkowski's take on Yennefer.

1. Whether the game Yen's introduction in White Orchard and Vizima produced the same effect like her book introduction is arguable at best.
2. Did CDPR's subtle hints at her importance, such as occasional journal entries, flashbacks and a dream, produce a sufficient emotional bond between players and Yen? Arguable at best of times, in my honest opinion.
3. Did they manage to blow us away with her first impression and explored her bond with Geralt enough to tickle player's deeper interest? Maybe.

I'm hoping this sort of constructive talk helps CDPR understand our point of view and reasons behind our requests for more Yennefer content.

In today's session, I'd like to begin the analysis of Yen's relationship to Cirilla, something that's a far bigger issue in game than both Yen - Geralt or Yen - Triss lack of content.
So please stay with me and enjoy some wonderful moments from the books, between a mother and her daughter.

Wrapped in a towel, Ciri sat down on the small chair at the magician’s knees. Yennefer brushed the girl’s hair, every now and again snipping off a disobedient wisp with a pair of scissors.

“Are you angry with me?” asked the girl reluctantly. “For, for… going to the tower?”

“No. But Nenneke doesn’t like it. You know that.”

“But I haven’t… I don’t care about Jarre in the least.” Ciri blushed a little. “I only…”

“Exactly,” muttered the enchantress. “You only. Don’t play the child because you’re not one any more, let me remind you. That boy slobbers and stammers at the sight of you. Can’t you see that?”

“That’s not my fault! What am I supposed to do?”

Yennefer stopped combing Ciri’s hair and measured her with a deep, violet gaze.

“Don’t toy with him. It’s base.”

“But I’m not toying with him! I’m only talking to him!”

“I’d like to believe,” the enchantress said as she snipped her scissors, cutting yet another wisp of hair which would not allow itself to be styled for anything in the world, “that during these conversations, you remember what I asked you.”

“I remember, I remember!”

“He’s an intelligent and bright boy. One or two inadvertent words could lead him on the right track, to matters he should know nothing about. No one, absolutely no one must find out who you are.”

“I remember,” repeated Ciri. “I haven’t squealed a word to anyone, you can be sure of that. Tell me, is that why we have to leave so suddenly? Are you afraid that someone’s going to find out I’m here? Is that why?”

“No. There are other reasons.”

“Is it because… there might be a war? Everybody’s talking about another war! Everybody’s talking about it, Lady Yennefer.”

“Indeed,” the magician confirmed coolly, snipping her scissors just above Ciri’s ear. “It’s a subject which belongs to the so-called interminable category. There’s been talk about wars in the past, there is talk now and there always will be. And not without reason – there have been wars and there will be wars. Lower your head.”

“Jarre said… that there’s not going to be a war with Nilfgaard. He spoke of some sort of analogies… Showed me a map. I don’t know what to think myself any more. I don’t know what these analogies are, probably something terribly clever… Jarre reads various learned books and knows it all, but I think…”

“It interests me, what you think, Ciri.”

“In Cintra… That time… Lady Yennefer, my grandmother was much cleverer than Jarre. King Eist was clever, too. He sailed the seas, saw everything, even a narwhal and sea serpent, and I bet he also saw many an analogy. And so what? Suddenly they appeared, the Nilfgaardians…”

Ciri raised her head and her voice stuck in her throat. Yennefer put her arms around her and hugged her tightly.

“Unfortunately,” she said quietly, “unfortunately, you’re right, my ugly one. If the ability to make use of experience and draw conclusions decided, we would have forgotten what war is a long time ago. But those whose goal is war have never been held back, nor will be, by experience or analogy.”

“So… It’s true, after all. There is going to be a war. Is that why we have to leave?”

“Let’s not talk about it. Let’s not worry too soon.”

Ciri sniffed.

“I’ve already seen a war,” she whispered. “I don’t want to see another. Never. I don’t want to be alone again. I don’t want to be frightened. I don’t want to lose everything again, like that time. I don’t want to lose Geralt… or you, Lady Yennefer. I don’t want to lose you. I want to stay with you. And him. Always.”

“You will.” The magician’s voice trembled a little. “And I’m going to be with you, Ciri. Always. I promise you.”

“How long are you going to edu— Teach me for?”

“As long as you want.” The magician leaned over, opened the chest of drawers, pulled out an old leather bag, a belt, two boots trimmed with fur and a clay demi-john in a wicker basket. Ciri heard her curse under her breath while smiling, and saw her hide the finds back in the drawers. She guessed whose they were. Who had left them there.

“What does that mean, as long as I want?” she asked. “If I get bored or don’t like the work—”

“We’ll put an end to it. It’s enough that you tell me. Or show me.”

“Show you? How?”

“Should we decide on educating you, I will demand absolute obedience. I repeat: absolute. If, on the other hand, you get tired of it, it will suffice for you to disobey. Then the lessons will instantly cease. Is that clear?”

Ciri nodded and cast a fleeting glance of her green eyes at the magician.

“Secondly,” continued Yennefer, unpacking her saddle-bags, “I will demand absolute sincerity. You will not be allowed to hide anything from me. Anything. So if you feel you have had enough, it will suffice for you to lie, pretend, feign or close in on yourself. If I ask you something and you do not answer sincerely, that will also indicate an instant end to our lessons. Have you understood?”

“Yes,” muttered Ciri. “And that… sincerity… Does that work both ways? Will I be able to… ask you questions?”

Yennefer looked at her and her lips twisted strangely.

“Of course,” she answered after a while. “That goes without saying. That will be the basis of the learning and protection I aim to give you. Sincerity works both ways. You are to ask me questions. At any time. And I will answer. Sincerely.”

“Any question?”

“Any question.”

“As of now?”

“Yes. As of now.”

“What is there between you and Geralt, Lady Yennefer?”

Ciri almost fainted, horrified at her own impertinence, chilled by the silence which followed the question.

The enchantress slowly approached her, placed her hands on her shoulders, looked her in the eyes from up close – and deeply.

“Longing,” she answered gravely. “Regret. Hope. And fear. Yes, I don’t think I have omitted anything. Well, now we can get on with the tests, you little green-eyed viper. We will see if you’re cut out for this. Although after your question I would be very surprised if it turned out you aren’t. Let’s go, my ugly one.”

Ciri bridled.

“Why do you call me that?”

Yennefer smiled with the corners of her lips.

“I promised to be sincere.”

I've highlighted in bold some of they key quotes that essentially mark their honest feelings between themselves, even in the early stage of their family.

This is Sapkwoski's vision and foundation for the whole series. He didn't think Yennefer is less important in that family trio. So why did CDPR?
They've masterfully shown the bond and relationship between Geralt and Ciri, yet omitted to let Yen have her family time. Except for one passionate hug to Ciri and as a silent companion to Avallac'h's cave.

There could have been some really touching moments in Kaer Morhen. It is really hard to swallow Yen wouldn't drag Ciri to the side for some private time and Geralt joining in. Even for an hour or two.

For example, in the guest room, Yen is brushing Ciri's hair and maybe giving it a trim, just like she used to, while Geralt's sitting opposite of them, maybe inspecting Ciri's sword while listening to their conversation.
Yen is an emotional mess as she absorbs every word from Ciri, who is telling them both about her travels and adventures. Maybe even go into explaining Avallac'h and the WIld Hunt a bit more. Which is when they snap out of it and realize they have to prepare for battle.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. Would love to hear what other people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom