Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little late to the party,but wow...Kallelinski,thank you for your hard work. You're the best Yen fan ever.

Last edited:
Thank you, @Kallelinski, for you effort and thoughtful comments. And thanks to you, I noticed that I had missed the replies from CDPR.

I have read through the Worrying long & short comments and it reminds me how disappointed I was when I saw how people in the game judge Yennefer, and there was little to naught interaction between Yen and Ciri. I am not going to say more about Yen and Geralt's relationship as many people before me have done a very good job. Besides, I can force myself to look pass that.

What I really cannot look pass, is how the relationship between Yen and Ciri was portrayed in the game.
The Yen-Ciri interaction could be sum to almost nothing. The game is basically Yen-Geralt and Geralt-Ciri. I was very disappointed by how CDPR tuned down Yen-Ciri interaction in my first playthrough. The Yen-Ciri interaction only gets a bit better when they visit Avallac'h's lab, but that was just one quest after they reunited. There was also no conversation happening between Yen and Ciri in the background. The only time it happens was in Skellige when Triss, Yen and Ciri were together, and that was about Yen asking Ciri why didn't she go and see Crach. Ciri's attitude towards Yen was also ridiculously cold; she even suspected that Yen has plans for her. WTF is that? I understand that CDPR wanted to focus on Geralt-Ciri relationship but why did they change so much on Yen-Ciri? Ciri calls Yen mother, gave herself to Vilgefortz and Bonhart to save her, wanted to adopt the name Cirilla of Vengerberg, daughter of Yennefer of Vengerberg. All that love and trust Ciri has for Yen have somehow disappeared for no reason?

I feel that I have worked up a bit over this topic, so I shall stop typing. Don't want to sound like I hate this game since I am just deeply disappointed on the Geralt-Yen-Ciri relationship in this game. I saw that CDPR has promised to tweak some dialogues about romancing Triss. I hope that it will not be a privilege treatment for Triss fans. Yen-Ciri relationship could certainly use some tweaking.

I think criticisms that Yennefer "doesn't care about Geralt" or "acts too bossy" are quite superficial because there is more to her character than meets the eye. In my view, their relationship is not meant to reflect a classic "Romeo & Juliet" kind of relationship. CDPR knows better. We've all played games where there are clear "good" and "bad" guys, and where women are represented as helpless and in need of a hero to save her. Yennefer is bold, strong, independent, fierce and strong-willed. She is powerful. I think this is what makes her unique in a way that so many characters in other games are not. The character development in this game is superb. CDPR has broken stereotypes and cliches and created really interesting characters that you care about and want to build relationships with.

btw. a fan uploaded this comparison of Yen's voices in the game:

I agree with the ranking but I would switch 1st place for English and 3rd place for Polish - I really don't like the Polish voice for Yennefer - horrible!

Cool, but for me it's difficult to judge a language I'm not that familiar with. For example german may sound alright if you don't speak this language... but if you do it's a whole different picture... brrrrrrr. I'm once again very happy I've only played the awesome english version.

Last edited:
btw. a fan uploaded this comparison of Yen's voices in the game:

I agree with the ranking but I would switch 1st place for English and 3rd place for Polish - I really don't like the Polish voice for Yennefer - horrible!

English is definitely my first. With everything else in no where. :whut:
Seriously, English version is perfect for me. I love that voice; I want to marry that voice! :what:

In the last few days I went through the whole thread with almost 700 pages now and picked out any comment by any user, which either had a lot of thanks/points and/or seemed interested enough to be seen by others and especially by you, the developers.

I sorted the comments in categories, but some comments could be used for more than one category, but that shouldn’t be such a problem anyway.

First I want to show the various opinions about Yennefer, the one in the books and the one in the game. What people think of her, what people think about your work, about your game.

Then I have collected quite a few worries and concerns about the whole situation with Yennefer, what wasn’t so good, what could have been better and so on.

And the last will be suggestions, ideas and detailed analyses about how one could maybe improve the game, show Yennefer the way it should be.

I can’t expect that anyone reads everything posted here, 700 pages and counting, so I did, twice and several times to correct mistakes and errors.

So even if you can’t comment on anything related to the Yennefer and/or Ciri content @GingerEffect

Would it be possible to hand over these documents to those who can, to those who can change something, to those who we can reach with our worries, concerns and suggestions?
Despite selecting only good, informative and emotional comments, it’s still a lot, but I tried to make it easy to read and even if one doesn’t read everything, I think it would reassure a lot of people to know that this arrived somewhere, where it could change something, maybe.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78WZJ66We2kU2xfa0kzQ052ZG8/view?usp=sharing

Probably best to download and view it then, it has bookmarks too.
You have a great deal of patience Kalle, kudos and thanks.

Apparently I am an hater...sigh :( Just because I've said a personal opinion...with this attitude I am not surpirse if RED just overlooked this thread.
Do you want a hug?

Honestly if one single user defined you as hater maybe due to a not so polite reply, there's something which is definitely off topic there. As, well, there's always a point for discussing without going bananas. I believe instead you overlooked all the posts in Kallelinski pdf and focused on "I am an hater sigh".

It's an interesting pdf, I recommend you to read it. :)

I really appreciate Kallelinski's work. I was just sad that my nickname only appeared near the word "hater", when I just expressed my opinion (maybe in a rude way, I admit it) that for sure it wasn't a biased or an "hater" opinion. I don't hate at all Yen, for me it's an awesome character. I didn't criticize at all Kallelinski diligence, I am criticizing the attitude in this topic where the best response u can get if you say something slightly different from "omg love love love" is "read the books" in bold or some other ironic gifs. Just looking at the difference attitude bewteen this topic and Triss topic tells a lot about ppl even from a neutral perspective like mine.

I can understand this point of view and sometimes feel the same. The fear of ruining what we got sometimes overwhelms the desire for improvements.

That being said, I think only CDPR is qualified to decide what is too much and what is not.

For any medium or big suggestion, your comment that its impossible to please all of us stands perfectly.
It's a bit different here. For something that is just new and fresh it's "easier" to evaluate whether you like it or not and just go on. A new game about a world and characters I don't know or like is much easier to put down if I think I won't enjoy the content. But as a die-hard fan of Sapkowski's books it's basically impossible not to play or like the Witcher games. The problem is that many expectations can't ever be satisfied that way. Such fan-fiction media that is that close to the source material on the one hand - and that different from it on the other hand - is doomed to disappoint people like me, no matter what they do, no matter how much effort they put in.

But I also think miniscule changes, like replacing Vesemir with Yen on the balcony in the dream sequence, or Yen and Ciri referring to each other as mother and daughter at least once, very well stand to please everyone.
And what are these miniscule changes good for in the end? I mean it's nice and inspiring to talk about these subtle things here on the board but what's the actual purpose to change things like that? We all played the game already, we all know these scenes. We cannot erase our memories, pretending like the original game never happened and some subtle changes give us chills. I think at this point it's more about "doing the right thing" than "doing the reasonable thing". Let's be honest: most gamers wouldn't care at all about such changes in the first place.These changes wouldn't change people's mind about the game. These changes wouldn't attract more people to buy the game. The only possible purpose of such changes would be plain and simple fan service (which isn't a bad thing in itself, but it has to be pointed out), to improve the "feel" of the game in a more theoretical way of "doing the source material justice". Is it worth the effort,? I fear not. You know, the game already happened. What has been done cannot be undone, so to say.

To summarise, I think the best way to be constructive and supportive of CDPR and Witcher 3, is to keep posting our opinions and suggestions in a respectful manner, without the expectation for CDPR to do anything about it.
Of course that's perfectly valid. But I personally tend to suggest now that they should just go on and do it (even) better with Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
I am criticizing the attitude in this topic where the best response u can get if you say something slightly different from "omg love love love" is "read the books" in bold or some other ironic gifs. Just looking at the difference attitude bewteen this topic and Triss topic tells a lot about ppl even from a neutral perspective like mine.

Yeah it is interesting - Triss topic(s) are known when you tell something negative about Triss - moderators usually have to act. Here it isn't like that - we have here many many fans who don't like Yen, they prefer Triss and we are friends maybe because they understand Yen's character and don't make facts from Wikipedia.

Nothing is wrong about recommendation to read the books if you are claiming to be a Witcher World fan.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom