Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'know, I wondered why she bothered to haul the stuffed unicorn with her to Skellige in the first place. Then it makes sense- she plans to use it once he arrives :)
Maybe she was preparing it already when she sent him the letter when the game starts. This lady knows how to plan ahead. ;)

I'm only wondering how the hell she manages to carry this with herself, are there any re-sizing spells?

Guest 3842753

I'm only wondering how the hell she manages to carry this with herself, are there any re-sizing spells?

Artifact compression, though we've only seen it used on living subjects so inanimate objects are an unknown but seem likely.

Yennefer uses necromancy on books? Didn't real all of them yet.
Nope, just grunted a bit :)

‘Elves, m’lady, seldom let themselves be taken alive,’ interrupted the trader. ‘And even if the soldiers catch one they take them to the city, because civilised non-humans dwell there. When they’ve watched Squirrels being tortured in the town square, they quickly lose interest in joining them. But if any elves are killed in combat, their bodies are taken to a crossroads and hung on posts like this. Sometimes they’re brought from far away and by the time they get here they reek—’

‘To think,’ snapped Yennefer, ‘we have been forbidden from necromantic practices out of respect for the dignity of death and mortal remains; on the grounds that they deserve reverence, peace, and a ritual and ceremonial burial . . .’

Last edited:
Wanted to ask English readers - does English translation of The Sword of Destiny contain Something Ends, Something Begins short story?

Also I've noticed that the Czech book begins with the Vissenna and Korin chapter but The Last Wish English book missing completely this story...

Wanted to ask English readers - does English translation of The Sword of Destiny contain Something Ends, Something Begins short story?

Also I've noticed that the Czech book begins with the Vissenna and Korin chapter but The Last Wish English book missing completely this story...

It doesn't. I don't think "The Road with No Return" was ever officially translated and included in any english version.

From wikipedia:

The short stories in The Witcher series were first published in Fantastyka, a Polish science fiction and fantasy magazine. The first short story, "Wiedźmin" ("The Witcher") (1986), was written for a contest held by the magazine, where it won third place. The first four stories of the witcher Geralt – and the story "Droga, z której się nie wraca" ("The Road with
No Return"),
which took place in the same world, but dozens of years before the witcher stories – were originally featured
in a short story collection titled Wiedźmin, published in 1990 (out of print and now obsolete; all fifteen short stories
were later collected in three books published by superNOWA).

The second short story collection to be published was Miecz przeznaczenia (Sword of Destiny). While The Last Wish
was published after Miecz przeznaczenia, it replaced Wiedźmin as the first book, as it included all of the stories collected
in Wiedźmin, excluding "Droga, z ktorej się nie wraca" (the only one not featuring Geralt). Although new short stories were added in The Last Wish, they took place before the ones in Miecz przeznaczenia.

"Droga, z której się nie wraca", along with "Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna" (Something Ends, Something Begins),
a non-canon story/alternate ending of the Witcher saga about Geralt and Yennefer's wedding written as a wedding gift
for Sapkowski's friends, was later published in the book Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna. The rest of the stories in this book are unconnected to the Witcher series. In some Polish (and Czech) editions, "Droga, z której się nie wraca"
and "Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna" are added to either The Last Wish or Miecz przeznaczenia.

I'd say she's using psychokinesis. Not just for the :horse:she has extreme power thanks to her obsidian star.

“The so-called Sign of Aard, Ciri, is a very simple spell belonging to the family of psychokinetic magic which is based
on thrusting energy in the required direction.
The force of the thrust depends on how the will of the person throwing it is focused and on the expelled force.
It can be considerable.
The witchers adapted the spell, making use of the fact that it does not require knowledge of a magical formula,
concentration and the gesture are enough. That’s why they called it a Sign.
Where they got the name from, I don’t know, maybe from the Elder Speech – the word ‘ard’, as you know,
means ‘mountain’, ‘upper’ or ‘the highest’.
If that is truly the case then the name is very misleading because it’s hard to find an easier psychokinetic spell.
We, obviously, aren’t going to waste time and energy on something as primitive as the witchers’ Sign.
We are going to practise real psychokinesis. We’ll practise on… Ah, on that basket lying under the apple tree. Concentrate.”

“Ready.”

“You focus yourself quickly. Let me remind you: control the flow of the force. You can only emit as much as you draw.
If you release even a tiny bit more, you do so at the cost of your constitution.
An effort like that could render you unconscious, in extreme circumstances, could even kill you. If, on the other hand,
you release everything you draw,you forfeit all possibility of repeating it, and you will have to draw it again and,
as you know, it’s not easy to do and it is painful.”

“Ooooh, I know!”

“You mustn’t slacken your concentration and allow the energy to tear itself away from you of its own accord.
My Mistress used to say that emitting the force must be like blowing a raspberry in a ballroom; do it gently,
sparingly, and with control. And in such a way that you don’t let those around you to know it was you. Understood?”

“Understood!”

“Straighten yourself up. Stop giggling. Let me remind you that spells are a serious matter.
They are cast with grace and pride. The motions are executed fluently but with restraint. With dignity.
You do not pull faces, grimace or stick your tongue out.
You are handling a force of nature, show Nature some respect.”

“All right, Lady Yennefer.”

“Careful, this time I’m not screening you. You are an independent spell-caster.
This is your debut, ugly one. You saw that demi-john of wine in the chest of drawers?
If your debut is successful, your mistress will drink it tonight.”

“By herself?”

“Novices are only allowed to drink wine once they are qualified apprentices. You have to wait.
You’re smart, so that just means another ten years or so, not more. Right, let’s start. Arrange your fingers.
And the left hand? Don’t wave it around! Let it hang loose or rest it on your hip. Fingers! Good. Right, release.”

“Aaaah…”

“I didn’t ask you to make funny noises. Emit the energy. In silence.”

“Haa, ha! It jumped! The basket jumped! Did you see?”

“It barely twitched. Ciri, sparingly does not mean weakly. Psychokinesis is used with a specific goal in mind.
Even witchers use the Sign of Aard to throw their opponent off his feet.
The energy you emitted would not knock their hat off their head!
Once more, a little stronger. Go for it!”

“Ha! It certainly flew! It was all right that time, wasn’t it, Lady Yennefer?”

“Hmmm… You’ll run to the kitchen afterwards and pinch a bit of cheese to go with our wine… That was almost right. Almost.
Stronger still, ugly one, don’t be frightened.
Lift the basket from the ground and throw it hard against the wall of that shack, make feathers fly.
Don’t slouch! Head up! Gracefully, but with pride! Be bold, be bold! Oh, bloody hell!”

“Oh, dear… I’m sorry, Lady Yennefer… I probably… probably used a bit too much…”

“A little bit. Don’t worry. Come here. Come on, little one.”

“And… and the shack?”

“These things happen. There’s no need to take it to heart. Your debut, on the whole, should be viewed as a success.
And the shack? It wasn’t too pretty. I don’t think anyone will miss its presence in the landscape.
Hold on, ladies!
Calm down, calm down, why this uproar and commotion, nothing has happened! Easy, Nenneke!
Really, nothing has happened. The planks just need to be cleared away. They’ll make good firewood!”

Last edited:
Easy, Nenneke! Really, nothing has happened. The planks just need to be cleared away. They’ll make good firewood!”

Haha love this...

Thank you for the info about the short stories - too bad that English readers won't read them - I guess it is great to have them in books. (Czech version)

This thread is so long so I most definitely missed this conversation at some point but here you go:

What was your reaction to Yennefer's mind reading?

Mind you I'm coming from game only background as I'm slowly making my way into reading the books, so maybe this is touched upon the books. I adore Yen, I think she is the ONE for Geralt and she can be such a bitch but she's a total badass, I don't know I love her period. However, I reacted negatively to her wanting to read Geralt's mind. Maybe this is a common thing with Sorceresses that I didn't know. The first time I was like "Yen, please stop". It happens again and I'm just not having it. Anyway she's like "I don't like secrets" and just then I felt terribly bad for my poor Geralt.

Geralt is a damaged mutant with underdeveloped and heavily suppressed feelings. He cannot properly express himself and talk about his feelings. What Yennefer does is read in his mind and try to understand what is he thinking about and how is he feeling. He knows about it and in the most intimate moments, when Yennefer is very fragile, he thinks mainly about the things that would bring her the most pleasure, for example while having sex. Games pictured this rather badly.

Last edited:

Nope :(

Oh really ? So there is a chapter about Geralts mother ? To bad for us english readers then.

---------- Updated at 05:32 AM ----------

This thread is so long so I most definitely missed this conversation at some point but here you go:

What was your reaction to Yennefer's mind reading?

Mind you I'm coming from game only background as I'm slowly making my way into reading the books, so maybe this is touched upon the books. I adore Yen, I think she is the ONE for Geralt and she can be such a bitch but she's a total badass, I don't know I love her period. However, I reacted negatively to her wanting to read Geralt's mind. Maybe this is a common thing with Sorceresses that I didn't know. The first time I was like "Yen, please stop". It happens again and I'm just not having it. Anyway she's like "I don't like secrets" and just then I felt terribly bad for my poor Geralt.

That hapens in the books to, if you are about to read them, then you will se in the book 'Time of Contempt', that that is almost common thing with sorceresses.

They are in a separate book (Something ends, something begins and road of no return) here in Bulgarian.

That hapens in the books to, if you are about to read them, then you will se in the book 'Time of Contempt', that that is almost common thing with sorceresses.

Well in the games it was mostly pictured as annoying for Geralt, while in the books he got used to it with Yennefer.
It was their way of intimate communication. What the games show us however is - Alright Geralt, I'm going to enter
your mind now and we do this! And Geralt is like - Nooo, not again, you know I don't like it! Ploughing Melitele's tits!

Last edited:

Guest 3842753

Well in the games it was mostly pictured as annoying for Geralt, while in the books he got used to it with Yennefer.
It was their way of intimate communication. What the games show us however is - Alright Geralt, I'm going to enter
your mind now and we do this. And Geralt is like - Nooo, not again, you know I don't like it. Ploughing Melitele's tits!

Yeah he's used to it in the books. In the game you can sometimes choose to be annoyed or not via your dialogue response.

Gotcha~ I was wondering about it because you do get the option in the game to sound annoyed which I did. I'm still in book one but I should be able to get to book 2 sometime this weekend since I'm curious about it.

Gotcha~ I was wondering about it because you do get the option in the game to sound annoyed which I did. I'm still in book one but I should be able to get to book 2 sometime this weekend since I'm curious about it.

I love that they included such options. I always objected or tried to argue with her about things like mind reading.
It's funny to argue with Yennefer because it's pointless - you lose.

The book is shown as Geralt is closed, taciturn, speaking only the essentials, leaving their real feelings to himself. Mind reading is for them to have a more intimate conversation where he could express the inner feelings.

An example is their reencounter in which Dandelion, already familiar, tells Ciri that this silence is because they are apologizing to her.

But in the game, as he is the principal, they had to increase his speeches, and may even be an evolution of personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom