Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that they included such options. I always objected or tried to argue with her about things like mind reading.
It's funny to argue with Yennefer because it's pointless - you lose.

God yes. I was afraid she was going to dump Geralt halfway through the game because I would antagonize her for no damn reason other than to see Geralt fail miserably at trying to win an argument! It was both fascinating and hilarious.

---------- Updated at 06:00 AM ----------

The book is shown as Geralt is closed, taciturn, speaking only the essentials, leaving their real feelings to himself. Mind reading is for them to have a more intimate conversation where he could express the inner feelings.

An example is their reencounter in which Dandelion, already familiar, tells Ciri that this silence is because they are apologizing to her.

But in the game, as he is the principal, they had to increase his speeches, and may even be an evolution of personality.

That is fascinating. I think it definitely puts it into perspective. The game did poorly on this and I made sure Geralt expressed that but I can see how it could be frustrating for Yen.

The strongest reaction from Geralt on mind-reading which I can recall is that:

If I desire her too intensely, he thought, she’ll sense it and she’ll be put off. Her hackles will rise, she’ll bristle and spurn me. I’ll ask her calmly how she’s doing . . .

‘Nothing to report,’ she said, and something in her voice quavered. ‘Nothing worth mentioning.’

‘Don’t do that to me, Yen. Don’t read me. It unsettles me.’

‘Forgive me. It’s automatic. And what’s new with you, Geralt?’

They are in a separate book (Something ends, something begins and road of no return) here in Bulgarian.

The same for the spanish edition, but with a little difference. Something ends, something begins was included first in the first edition of The Lady of the lake. Later, they published another edition of this book and removed it :( to include it into a new book of short stories called A road with no return, which also contains the story of Geralt's mother.

That is fascinating. I think it definitely puts it into perspective. The game did poorly on this and I made sure Geralt expressed that but I can see how it could be frustrating for Yen.

In the books he has has become accustomed to reading minds. When he's at the banquet, he begins to think Yen is beautiful, wonderful and is with him and think of a manner that all the envy, kind of playing in the face of other sorcerers.

In the game there was no way they describe it, so put Geralt always expressing the mind reading.

The book is shown as Geralt is closed, taciturn, speaking only the essentials, leaving their real feelings to himself. Mind reading is for them to have a more intimate conversation where he could express the inner feelings.

An example is their reencounter in which Dandelion, already familiar, tells Ciri that this silence is because he is apologizing to her.

And Geralt ended up finding this reading-mind thing very useful too, and for example in Thanned, after sex, he knows her reading-mind skills are always very powerful and stronger than ever and use that to think beautiful and pleasure things to make her happy. :D

---------- Updated at 06:19 AM ----------

In the books he has has become accustomed to reading minds. When he's at the banquet, he begins to think Yen is beautiful, wonderful and is with him and think of a manner that all the envy, kind of playing in the face of other sorcerers.

Oh yes, I loved that part! And I think Yen was loving the moment so much too! :wub:

Makes sense. It's a tough call to make for character development, especially when some of it is inner dialogue, etc.

I see other characters talking about Geralt in a certain way but because we are Geralt, his book personality sometimes gets confused. Like we understand that Geralt is stoic, un-talkative etc, but because he's the PC, it can be a bit hard for it to come through that he has issues communicating with people.

Though even Yen gets plenty frustrated with him.

Oh yes, I loved that part! And I think Yen was loving the moment so much too! :wub:

Aye I think she loved that moment. All the moments.

Lambert: Well, well... Lovebirds decided to join us. Enjoy youreselves?
Eskel: You heard the answer to that question, Lambert... Besides, not our business.

Eskel and Lambert envied Geralt relationship.
Lambert spoke a lot and hooked up with a witch.
Eskel in the books seemed to be interested in Triss.
Cery said those things, or was up for Geralt or just to prove the strength of women over men.
All sorcerers had a little envious of Geralt and Yennefer relationship.

Last edited:
Would be too awesome to have a similar moment in the game.

Someone in TvY thread was whining that Geralt is too obedient puppy.
But I see instead of Geralt only a man who always has to excuse to everyone for Yennefer and himself.
Lugos was the only one who saw Geralt's balls.

I think the reasoning behind this was to create a complete diversity in player's choice. Fire or water? Angel or the devil?
Submissive or dominant? Yennefer or Triss? If Geralt acted as confident around Yennefer as in the books, it would show
their very deep, long relationship with mutual respect. Keep in mind that mutual recognition came very late in the books,
and it took sacrifices from both sides. What CDPR shows us in the game is more of a pre-Lady of the Lake relationship.

Last edited:
Finally finished with re reading The Last Wish, and one small, but important detail caught my eye.

“But he's…” he groaned suddenly, “still got one wish in reserve! He could save both her and himself! Mr. Krepp!”

“It's not that simple,” the priest pondered. “But if…If he expressed the right wish…If he somehow tied his fate to the fate…No, I don't think it would occur to him. And it's probably better that it doesn't.”

This, to me, without any doubt tells that Geralt's last wish was to tie their fate/destiny together, and NOT for Yen to simply fall in love with him.

I can't even remember with whom I've had this discussion a few hundred pages ago, but it's really nice that in this one, important thing, the book and game canons are in unison. It makes Yen's quest that much better.

Ahh, I'm feeling all giddy about this.

I think the reasoning behind this was to create a complete diversity in player's choice. Fire or water? Angel or the devil?
Submissive or dominant? Yennefer or Triss? If Geralt acted as confident around Yennefer as in the books, it would show
their very deep, long relationship with mutual respect. Keep in mind that mutual recognition came very late in the books,
and it took sacrifices from both sides. What CDPR shows us in the game is more of a pre-Lady of the Lake relationship.

But this kind of black or white choice has nothing to do with the CDPR game canon. There's not in TW1, there's not in TW2, even Iorveth and Roche are equals but in differents sides. And that so such obvious and easydo doing in TW3, specially in romace breaks the The special and personal Grey-conflictive-Witcher's choices

Usually the team of the other lady think that Geralt's and Yen's love is all because of this djinn (which is really weird because even if you broke up with Yen in the game - she still loves Geralt so uhm yeah magic)

Not only this. But atually and sadly, a personal criticism about the CDPR's storyline or dialogue builds is confused like a personal attack against each own choice.

Finally finished with re reading The Last Wish, and one small, but important detail caught my eye.

“But he's…” he groaned suddenly, “still got one wish in reserve! He could save both her and himself! Mr. Krepp!”

“It's not that simple,” the priest pondered. “But if…If he expressed the right wish…If he somehow tied his fate to the fate…No, I don't think it would occur to him. And it's probably better that it doesn't.”

This, to me, without any doubt tells that Geralt's last wish was to tie their fate/destiny together, and NOT for Yen to simply fall in love with him.

I can't even remember with whom I've had this discussion a few hundred pages ago, but it's really nice that in this one, important thing, the book and game canons are in unison. It makes Yen's quest that much better.

Ahh, I'm feeling all giddy about this.

Well what more "reasonable" people who choose the redhead claim is that this "binding of fate" is what makes Geralt obsessed with Yennefer. He can't leave her or be with anyone else cause of the wish, so that's how their love builds up.
In a way which isn't natural. They don't claim that Djinn created their love, but the tie between their fates did eventually.
I would say this could be a solid argument, at least a good way to open a discussion. Always nice to see this argument.

Last edited:
Well what more "reasonable" people who choose the redhead claim is that this "binding of fate" is what makes Geralt obsessed with Yennefer. He can't leave her or be with anyone else cause of the wish, so that's how their love builds up.
In a way which isn't natural. They don't claim that Djinn created their love, but the tie of their fates did so eventually.
I would say this could be a solid argument, at least a good way to open a discussion.

As we don't know what were the exact words, I can imagine Geralt wishing I want her never desappear of my life... which doesn't imply love at all. Love came alone and with no help. After all, Yennefer ask him Why me? you don't know what you've asked for! I mean, If Geralt's wish were make her love me, Yennefer migh say something more submissive, more desihinbated, more romantic about her new feelings towards him being under the spell...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom