Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Argument is whether or not they decided to cut Ciri and Yen content because of simplification/sexualization, or if it was budget/time related.

In the second instance we have a solid chance, whereas in the first one there is no hope for the wicked.

I would love to see an honest statement from CDPR. They're the most transparent company so I have high hopes!

I still believe this will be addressed in the Enhanced Edition if there will ever be one. Maybe 2017-18 after all expansions.

#TeamHappyFamily

:happy2::pride2::smiling2:

Last edited:
I would love to see an honest statement from CDPR

Same here

So Ciri always say when asked that she learned something wrom her uncle or father, why she don`t say at some point i learned magic tricks and how to control my power from my mother in Ellander, she teach me how to use magic

Well that would mean, she did spend some time with yen in the past and there was once a bond between them.
No one should know this :secret:

Argument is whether or not they decided to cut Ciri and Yen content because of simplification/sexualization, or if it was budget/time related.

I think a Dev already replied to that, no?

By GingerEffect

This is not the case and clearly evidenced by the fact that Ciri has little interaction with Triss as well.
The reason the focus is on Geralt and Ciri is fairly simple. Ciri is a, if not THE focal point of the game, yet she is a character that newcomers do not know at all. Our narrative is thus focused on a character that many players had no emotional investment in prior to the game. Through the many interactions between Ciri and Geralt, we showed that Geralt cares deeply about Ciri which translates to the player understanding why Geralt is doing what he is doing and more easily relating to those feelings

Last edited:
Do you really think so low of CDPR or are you just venting?

What about the theory they ran out of time and/or resources/money?
I don't think "low" of them. And after all, it's a typical video game flaw so nothing special. It's just that they're imo not much better than other people in the industrie in terms of writing.

The problem is that there is not a single female topic in the game. So either you're right and it was just all cut or it was never there in the first place. It doesn't change the fact that it's not there in the final product.

In the Polish original it's "brzydulka", a diminutive of "brzydula" in a funny/playful, not that mean/mocking way.
So what's the literal English translation of that?

Meh. Budget/time is the one I go with.

They have professional writers and are almost certainly book fans. This just makes more sense and aligns with their pathetically low budget for such a large game (and yes, it is a small budget, very small even, even if Western game devs pay their workers more due to living in more expensive countries, it is not several times more expensive)

Omelette scene is a masterpiece. Totally disagree with people who said that it breaks the current mood.
The current mood was full of dreamy, moony and sleepy atmosphere so that moment matches very well with it.
Geralt takes care of his lady like a nice guy and it looks so pure soft and warm. Helps to forget for an instant about all the problems.

P.S. Found another moment where Ciri and Yennefer are together in the game

P.P.S. Check fan art thread :welcome:

Attachments

• Ciri meets her mom.jpg
    Ciri meets her mom.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I think a Dev already replied to that, no?

By GingerEffect

Nope. That was an answer to the Triss Merigold topic and that has nothing to do with what we're discussing currently.

So what's the literal English translation of that?

That's the thing. It's kinda hard to translate it "literally". I suppose "homely child" could do the trick, that would mean simple or common, lacking elegance and/or refinement. More in a frisky way rather than malicious. Ugly one sounds
too derisive and doesn't fit the purpose at all imo.

Yen's "reasoning" behind that nickname was awaking the "hunger for improvement" in Ciri, which is crucial
in magic training. Ugly one doesn't do the job tbh.

Meh. Budget/time is the one I go with.

They have professional writers and are almost certainly book fans. This just makes more sense and aligns with their pathetically low budget for such a large game (and yes, it is a small budget, very small even, even if Western game devs pay their workers more due to living in more expensive countries, it is not several times more expensive)

As for now, I still genuinely share your optimism... It's getting worse with every day though. It's right about time I stop
nitpicking on the narrative and just enjoy the flawless parts of the game, which would be graphics and combat system.

Good.

Yenn's eyes are much prettier now...Violet, unique...
Thank you Fringilla Vigo!

The girl bowed, interlocking her palms in a gesture of full respect. The enchantress, rustling her long, black dress,
approached, took Ciri by the chin and quite off-handedly lifted her head, turning it right and left.
The girl felt anger and rebellion rising within her - she was not used to being treated this way. And at the same time,
she experienced a burning envy. Yennefer was very beautiful. Compared to the delicate, pale and rather common
comeliness of the priestesses and novices who Ciri saw every day, the magician glowed with a conscious,
even demonstrative loveliness, emphasised and accentuated in every detail. Her raven-black locks cascading
down her shoulders shone, reflected the light like the feathers of a peacock, curling and undulating with every move.
Ciri suddenly felt ashamed, ashamed of her grazed elbows, chapped hands, broken nails, her ashen, stringy hair.
All of a sudden, she had an overwhelming desire to possess what Yennefer had - a beautiful, exposed neck
and on it a lovely black velvet ribbon with a lovely glittering star.
Regular eyebrows, accentuated with charcoal and long eyelashes. Proud lips.
And those two mounds which rose with every breath, hugged by black cloth and white lace...

'So this is the famous Surprise.' The magician twisted her lips a little. 'Look me in the eyes, girl.'
Ciri shuddered and hunched her shoulders.
No, she did not envy Yennefer that one thing, she did not desire to have it or even look at it.
Those eyes, violet, deep as a fathomless lake, strangely bright, dispassionate and malefic. Terrifying.

Last edited:
Nope. That was an answer to the Triss Merigold topic and that has nothing to do with what we're discussing currently

Yep. It was an answer in this Yen thread (you can check it was some time ago), and only the first part is related to Triss.

The second quote is related to why Ciri-Geralt rlationship it's what it is.
They focused all on their relationship and that's why Yen and Triss are in the backround in regard to Ciri.
Nothing to do with budget/sexualization or other things ;)

As for now, I still genuinely share your optimism. It's getting worse with every day though. It's about time I stop nitpicking on the narrative and just enjoy the flawless parts of the game, which would be graphics and combat system.

The fixes or changes we want are not that hard to do. But they would still require some time :(

CDPR generally want the PR to be good, so that is why devs dont talk much here. Your average developer or writer can do many things, but PR is rarely one of those things. It would be great if someone actually WAS active here and asked and answered questions. Her we agree. But almost no fairly big devs do that.

As for those being flawless ... nah. That word does not exist in ANY game :D . The combat is great IMHO, one of the best I have experienced, but not flawless. But I am also an RTS/FPS elitist, so RPGs generally do not impress me with their sub-systems that actually make the gameplay. So that is awesome praise from me.

I really like Witcher 3. I love it even. Maybe the best game I ever played after STALKER. But these flaws ... they annoy me so much. The closer something is to near -perfection for me, the more its flaws stand out :(

Yep. It was an answer in this Yen thread (you can check it was some time ago), and only the first part is related to Triss.

They focused all on their relationship and that's why Yen and Triss are in the backround in regard to Ciri.

This doesn't answer the question at all. There is a reason behind it, "Ciri and Geralt relationship is our primary focus"
doesn't cut the cake and explains nothing. Yen and "being in the background" simply doesn't work, she's her mother.

Try reading the post from @Scholdarr.452 again please: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1872453&viewfull=1#post1872453

Last edited:
The problem is that there is not a single female topic in the game.

Well, that depends on what you consider a proper female topic?
Cerys was done pretty well, and you get to know a lot about her if you choose to help her. Yen's romance quest was done really well, and so did Triss one. Philippa had a much more prominent role in Witcher 2, but she was OK in 3. I thought Cantarella was pretty interesting and unexpected bonus. Lodge was a disappointment, mostly due to no screen time. Baron's wife, Anna, was a great character.

Edit: I forgot to mention Keira, she was a rather beautifully portrayed window into a soul of lonely, scared and desperate female, and we've been given an opportunity to help her on multiple levels. I really liked that. Helping her felt like being nice to women in general.

I guess we wouldn't be having this conversation if they did Ciri's character closer to the books, and Ciri and Yen relationship. Sadly no side character can make up for it.

Last edited:

That answer is a pure BS anyway. Triss having no moments with Ciri (why should she? they have no relationship) is not an explanation for why Yen has no moments with her, because the two are certainly not on an equal footing when it comes to Ciri. One is like a mother to her, the other is like... I don't even know, Ciri does not think of Triss once aften her diarrhea episode in BoE.

Yen has no scenes with Ciri because it would make Triss look bad. Triss as an object of waifuautism benefits from Yen having no scenes with Ciri, even if she has none herself. There is no confrontation between Yen and Triss for the very same reason - Yen would come out of that as a 100% moral victor every single time.

CDPR writes in the art book that Triss is a secondary character, but they are actually afraid of executing that, instead opting for not pissing off her fans too much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom