Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly in English version many original meanings were distorted.
Even take that piece.

In English "After all I have" instead of "I'm already yours"
"I already have you"instead of "You're mine"

So in original scene Yennefer is more sensitive. In translation she sounds more possessive

WTB polish knowledge :)

Well to be completely honest it's more than worth it to learn Polish just to read Sapkowski's work. Reading the original
and then some english translation feels like a different book lol, sometimes even a whole characterization is missing.
When I want to quote something from the books here on forums in english, I usually spend 10-20 minutes correcting
the translation because crucial words are often missing. Especially dialogues are lacking depth and sense for detail.
What @CatchTheBreeze posted is a great example. English translation is butchering most of the intimate moments
between Geralt and Yennefer with bad wording and lack of feelings. >_>

Last edited:
Especially dialogues are lacking depth and sense for detail.

What @CatchTheBreeze posted is a great example. English translation is basically butchering almost all the intimate moments between Geralt and Yennefer with bad wording and lack of feelings. >_>

Well,sadly that happens on almost every translation :no:
Books, movies etc etc

Sadly i will never learn polish...have enough to do with english :p
Maybe it would be worth it...but would take years.....at least for me ^^

Once again, it turns out that the worst and least accurate translation, is English. It seems that they have a decent translators there. :hmm3:

Well to be completely honest it's more than worth it to learn Polish just to read Sapkowski's work. Reading the original
and then some english translation feels like a different book lol, sometimes even a whole characterization is missing.
When I want to quote something from the books here on forums in english, I usually spend 10-20 minutes correcting
the translation because crucial words are often missing. Especially dialogues are lacking depth and sense for detail.
What @CatchTheBreeze posted is a great example. English translation is butchering most of the intimate moments
between Geralt and Yennefer with bad wording and lack of feelings. >_>

Well i agree. Btw english is also not my primary language and that may cause even more confusion in some scenes as some words are very unfamiliar in english translations. Yennefer does not seem that much sensitive in english translations as it appears here( in some other translations). To bad there is no slovenian translation :(

Once again, it turns out that the worst and least accurate translation, is English. It seems that they have a decent translators there. :hmm3:

I was still able to make sense of it regardless. If you focus on context and intent it's easy to not get lost completely in semantics, especially with a translation.

In Czech version it is the same - I guess in Polish too @xxgwxx, right?

Yup ;)
I don't get it ...was it so hard to translate such a simple Polish sentence(Kochaj mnie) into English :"love me" instead of "make love to me" ?

Damn, maybe I should become a translator :p

---------- Updated at 08:56 PM ----------

In English "After all I have" instead of "I'm already yours"
"I already have you"instead of "You're mine"

wut :confusion:
seriously who translated those books? :facepalm2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom