Yennefer turning out to be a villain in Witcher 3.

+
Shawnkh said:
I can see Yennefer as a manipulative villain in Witcher 3.
Geralt reunites with Yennefer. Yen manipulates Geralt and turns him against Triss, so she could kill Triss without Geralt stopping her. Yen kills Triss because she is in favor of North. She keeps manipulating Geralt since he doesn't know she has changed after the Wild hunt and she is in favor of the emperor. Yen tricks Geralt to carry out her desires, and finally she betrays and kills Geralt. At this point you play as Ciri, hunting down Yennefer and killing her. At the end of the story both Yennefer and Geralt are dead. Ciri realizing that she should have let Geralt and Yennefer die as lovers in the Rivian massacre. A dark lesson for Ciri that you cannot change fate.

What do you Witcher fans think ?

hmmm.... no.

Yennefer turning into a villain wouldn't make much sense and would be really lazy plot twist (for examples check out first Mission Impossible movie and Bionic Commando 2009). However, Yennefer working with Nilfgaard due to her amnesia and having her own agenda seems possible. It would provide her very needed active role during storyline, other then being damsel in distress.

There are two constant in the Witcher universe that make betrayal -- not deliberate, more likely inadvertent -- a reasonable plot twist.

First, somebody is always ploughing you.

Second, the lesser evil is hardly ever what it seems.

Yennefer would never betray Geralt to his enemies out of, say, spite over him shagging Triss. But she would if she were unaware of her captors' intentions and thinking she was helping him.

First, there is nothing evil about dumping Triss (I doubt we'll kill her).

Second, no one is completely good or evil in the game. There may be good reasons to work for any side. I would feel deeply disappointed if any of the main characters is presented as clearly evil. The only clearly and obviously evil were Loredo and his mom, who were insane. Until now like in GOT where you can root for any house, we could root for any major faction or character, and this should remain in TW3 as well.

Yen can and will cooperate with whoever she thinks is best for her interests, which is what normal people with no previous duties and commitments do. How her amnesia affects her relationships with Geralt remains to be seen.

Villain, I would say no. At cross purposes with a man whom she knows nothing of, I would say that that might be a possibility.

See my thing is that just like Geralt had lost his memory, Yen had lost her memory. Just like Geralt had to re-experience everything leading him to get a new perspective on life, Yen also had to go through that. Going through something like they went through changes people. Losing one's memory is just like getting re-born. I'm not saying she's the villain and bad and so on, I'm just saying that she may have changed her allegiances and priorities and overall perspective on life to the point where Geralt is just a means to an end and not her love. Maybe she has fallen in love with some one else after her memory loss, just like the Geralt of some of the players has fallen in love with Triss. There are many possibilities here. For example Emhyr threatening to kill Yen's new lover if she doesn't cooperate, and her being put in a position where she has to choose between the new guy and Geralt.

And for those who say Triss betrayed Geralt, please play the game again and listen to every conversation. Triss warned Geralt in Flotsam that he shouldn't get involved with sheala de tancarville, and he shouldn't cooperate with her to kill the Keyren but Geralt ignored her. And at the end she told Geralt that she did not tell him about the lodge because she feared for his safety. The sorceresses of the lodge would have definitely tried to eliminate Geralt, if he knew their plan and the odds are they would have been successful.

AnthonyF1227 said:
We're going to hear this as Yennefer appears on screen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8
Thanks for making my day. LOL
I literally laughed out loud while imagining Yennefer appearing with an evil face an this music in the background.

That would beat the way ME1 LIs were written in ME2. I know I´ll have a few words to any dev who speaks about how they want to be as true to the original works as possible and all that.

But I find more likely discovering Triss knew about everything from the beginning. In TW1 we see she´s hiding something, and she´s the one who told the witchers to go after the WH as TW1 begins. Makes me think...

Shawnkh said:
And for those who say Triss betrayed Geralt, please play the game again and listen to every conversation. Triss warned Geralt in Flotsam that he shouldn't get involved with sheala de tancarville, and he shouldn't cooperate with her to kill the Keyren but Geralt ignored her. And at the end she told Geralt that she did not tell him about the lodge because she feared for his safety. The sorceresses of the lodge would have definitely tried to eliminate Geralt, if he knew their plan and the odds are they would have been successful.

We discussed it to death even this year (since I joined), with arguments on both sides. Just find these threads if you are interested. For some of us like myself who listened (and analyzed) every conversation many times, on both paths, it seems rather obvious that Triss was lying, and keeping very important things from him. But there is a room for disagreement because such things were never presented in any clear way.

Shawnkh said:
And for those who say Triss betrayed Geralt, please play the game again and listen to every conversation. Triss warned Geralt in Flotsam that he shouldn't get involved with sheala de tancarville, and he shouldn't cooperate with her to kill the Keyren but Geralt ignored her. And at the end she told Geralt that she did not tell him about the lodge because she feared for his safety.
I have to agree. Vivax is also right, there are not many perfectly clear things in this game, but I agree with this explanation.
She wasn't 100% honest to him, but she is not his wife or slave and she is not obligated to tell him everything she do (just like Geralt, Zoltan, Yennefer, Dandelion,..).
The worst part of this game is that game tries to impose opinion of Lodge on player. And if someone take Lodge as bad side Triss' secret is obviously perceived as big deal.

The sorceresses of the lodge would have definitely tried to eliminate Geralt, if he knew their plan and the odds are they would have been successful.
I don't think so, they always were very lenient to him.
OT:
But it's true that Geralt took their plans very badly, there could be even bigger conflict between them. He acted so wrongly .. plans and acts of Henselt, Foltest, Roche, Iorveth and others are taken as something normal and Geralt even cooperated with them and protected them, but when it comes to plans of Lodge it's presented as something bad and unnacceptable for Geralt. That is really sad for me.
As for Yennefer - I think her amnesia can have very different progress. But I think there is no chance to change her personality. There has to be something unchangable in that world - in book sories there was love between her and Geralt and Ciri. I hope this will remain.

sfinxCZ said:
Me too ;)/>

And about first post - sorry, but I can't imagine that. Yen could have amnesia, she could be tortured, prisoned etc, but she is not the one who can be broken. One of my favourite parts from books are words of Vilgefortz about her.

Picture of Ciri fighting with her mummy is even more improbable.

This would be the most suprising turn of events. But not in good way. More likely Geralt will deal with Emhyr, become emperor, Yen will conquer whole north and together they will be royal family. And Ciri will be obviously figure-skater..
Anyone can be broken it just takes time and skill. I imagine they have had enough time and the north has the skill to torture well

I will reply with that quote (it's from Tower of Swallow, so if you didn't read that, I recommend you to read it there :) for the first time):
Vilgefortz looked at the unconscious body being dragged across the floor towards the stairs that led into the dungeon. Then he looked up at Rience and Schirru.
‘There is always a risk,’ he said, ‘that one of you falls into the hands of my enemies and is interrogated. I would like to believe that you would be as strong minded as her under the screws. Yes, I would like to believe that. But I do not.’
I can't imagine much worse enemies than Vilgefortz. Emhyr is for me just second league, in comparsion to this powerful mage.

But OK, if you think anyone can be broken and it can be just matter of time, I will not argue about that and I will say: If there are some people, who can resist, Yen is one of them ;) ..

Mods, pardon me if I go a bit off-topic, but I think it may be easier to ask this question this way than to actually create a new topic just for that. Well, at least it's about Yennefer too.

sfinxCZ said:
I will reply with that quote (it's from Tower of Swallow, so if you didn't read that, I recommend you to read it there :)/>/> for the first time):
Vilgefortz looked at the unconscious body being dragged across the floor towards the stairs that led into the dungeon. Then he looked up at Rience and Schirru.
‘There is always a risk,’ he said, ‘that one of you falls into the hands of my enemies and is interrogated. I would like to believe that you would be as strong minded as her under the screws. Yes, I would like to believe that. But I do not.’
I can't imagine much worse enemies than Vilgefortz. Emhyr is for me just second league, in comparsion to this powerful mage.

But OK, if you think anyone can be broken and it can be just matter of time, I will not argue about that and I will say: If there are some people, who can resist, Yen is one of them ;)/>/> ..

Good sir, would you mind helping me with a doubt I've had for some time now?
What exactly did Vilgefortz do to Yennefer with those screws? I don't take pleasure on torture or anything, I just didn't quite understand what happened to her hands. Do you mind explaining?

GabeofRivia said:
Mods, pardon me if I go a bit off-topic, but I think it may be easier to ask this question this way than to actually create a new topic just for that. Well, at least it's about Yennefer too.

Good sir, would you mind helping me with a doubt I've had for some time now?
What exactly did Vilgefortz do to Yennefer with those screws? I don't take pleasure on torture or anything, I just didn't quite understand what happened to her hands. Do you mind explaining?
It seemed to be worse than broken fingers, which would already be very bad for a mage. Even after healing she still had problems of mobility when Bonhart tried to attack her. If it is the torture room they found, the instruments made even the spymaster uneasy.

They did manage to break her about Geralt, which is what makes him believe she´s with Vilgefortz, but Vil realized that nothing would break her where Ciri was concerned.

I know nothing of yennefer except what I hear here and in the games but I have a hard time believing they would make her an enemy. I would imagine ALOT of people would be furious

sfinxCZ said:
I will reply with that quote (it's from Tower of Swallow, so if you didn't read that, I recommend you to read it there :)/> for the first time):

But OK, if you think anyone can be broken and it can be just matter of time, I will not argue about that and I will say: If there are some people, who can resist, Yen is one of them ;)/> ..
I have not read that but given that it has been a year since they have seen eachother (or something like that)Noone and I mean noone can withstand it for that long. Some people can last alot longer then others but everyone has a point. How long did the torture your talking about last

vivaxardas said:
First, there is nothing evil about dumping Triss (I doubt we'll kill her).

Second, no one is completely good or evil in the game. There may be good reasons to work for any side. I would feel deeply disappointed if any of the main characters is presented as clearly evil. The only clearly and obviously evil were Loredo and his mom, who were insane. Until now like in GOT where you can root for any house, we could root for any major faction or character, and this should remain in TW3 as well.

Yen can and will cooperate with whoever she thinks is best for her interests, which is what normal people with no previous duties and commitments do. How her amnesia affects her relationships with Geralt remains to be seen.
king henselt was as well. Remember he raped Ves. But yeah Loredo and his mother were just pure evil they had no good side

garrusbiggestfan said:
I have not read that but given that it has been a year since they have seen eachother (or something like that)Noone and I mean noone can withstand it for that long. Some people can last alot longer then others but everyone has a point. How long did the torture your talking about last
Well, Vilgefortz himself gave up on having her turn Ciri. I doubt Emhyr would do worst, even if he had reasons to, which as far as the books go, it´s kind of the opposite.

Top Bottom