Yet another male-oriented fantasy game...

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... on the original issue of using semi-naked women as a marketing ploy...I'd say its only to be expected - it almost certainly isn't indicative of the actual content of the game... but if a shiny bit of concept art depicting partly-exposed boobies can be slapped on an advert and bring in a few more sales, then its going to happen.Its exactly the same reason that all films, regardless of their actual content, receive the exact same deep-voiced "In a world..." epic-action-movie trailers - even if they actually turn out to be a clever arty film with barely an action scene in sight.Anyone who watches these forums has already been ensnared by the game itself - the marketing isn't going to mean a thing to us - most of us have already made the decision to buy it. The marketing will likely make the game out to be a Prince of Persia clone with plenty of suggestive erotic bits - because that'll bring in the largest quantity of unknowing punters - and you never know, some of them might actually discover there's more to computer games than another Halo clone :) - the best bit is, the more people they manage to entice - the better CDProjekt will do in the future.Personally I say bring on the titties! (*giggles like a schoolgirl*)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Lishi is not opposed to the nudity so much as she feels cheated that women aren't being given equal priority in the hot male stakes. I'm female and games definitely give priority for males. Romances are good too but not essential. Yes Geralt looks pretty nice but do we get to see well oiled muscles anytime?

:) hey girls, if you want to play a good RPG with a female character, I can suggest you to play "Dance with rogue", a module for neverwinter night 1, it receive "module of the year " award from the community, and it's really a good game (better than commercial campaign)

I completely agree with Grim. Anyway, the only female characters we've seen "exposed" are prostitutes and Triss, and, as far as I know the latter would like to seduce Geralt. We may thus be critical of her somewhat gross strategy to do so, but she certainly makes her point clear. So, if showing such images is both inkeeping with the characters' personalities and needs, and with marketing aesthetics, I don't really see why they shouldn't be highlighted. Some eroticism and the use of revealing clothes for either women of the "trade" and women who simply want to seduce are hardly unknown in the real world and more frequent than the same for men, and I don't think that picturing such things says anything against women in general. By the way, as a man, I could also feel insulted to see my gender pictured as a group of people easily swayed by the mere show of a bit of opposite sex flesh, and that is precisely what is suggested by the scene with the two guards and the prostitute. However I believe these clichés (the easy and efficient use of revealing clothes by women who want to seduce and the gullibility of men) are not very far from the truth. Why not accept them for what they are ?I think that if The Witcher (like many other games) pictured out-of-context revealing clothes (such as chain bikinis) and systematically sexy female creatures, as well as systematically dumb and sex-obsessed male creatures, one may object to the interest of its content. However, I think that, as far as we know, it is not the case : peasant women are perfectly well-dressed and for example the shtriga is in my opinion a very interesting and unique female creature characterised by particularly unappealing vestiges of feminity. As for men, Geralt himself seems neither especially stupid, nor sex-obsessed (though he reasonably enjoys the privilege of being a wandering supernaturally sexy spellsword, exactly like sorceresses enjoy their supernatural appeal to men).As for the matter of cards depicting females after Geralt has bedded them, if they even make it in the final version of the game, I don't think they should be taken too seriously but rather as a humourously cliché, second-degré version of the private diary of the heroine in the very good module mentioned by jbaudrand, and made by Valine, a female author (the heroine's sexual experiences being textually rather than visually depicted, and more sexy and sometimes disturbing than humourous). (Like he said, it is much better than the commercial campaign, but then again many modules are, since it's not very difficult...)

Geno said:
Crimson Ice said:
I do have a question though: the developers are always talking about freedom of choice for the player. Does this extend to Geralt's sexual orientation? Not that I have any particular want to play as a gay Geralt, but it would be in keeping with the developer's mantra of player freedom, and you have to admit it would be kind of funny to have the option, although it may not be in keeping with the books. Although, it might satisfy those people who are irritated by the way females are portrayed in the game.
You're joking right? It's not kinda funny see such a thing - for me....it isn't a question of bahavior (player choices) it is a question of foundations - if you loose your memory probably you wan't change your sexual orentaion , you don't bacame left handed if you were right handed etc. I don't think is a good or funny idea
What an impulsive reaction, too much shocked to realize this _could_ be supposed to be joke? But in this case it scratches the pride of the maleness? btw... homosexuality is a part of being open-minded about sexual cases. Or maybe, this is an exception here and it matters merely about *beeeep* women for getting rewards like collecting other objects to get your odds & ends together?

:) take it easy petra, just consider that some people here are maybe very young... And I'm not talking about you Geno, but people here are maybe too young to suit this kind of conversation...edit: But I'm not a modo, just do want you want... ;)

What an impulsive reaction, too much shocked to realize this _could_ be supposed to be joke? But in this case it scratches the pride of the maleness? btw... homosexuality is a part of being open-minded about sexual cases. Or maybe, this is an exception here and it matters merely about fucking women for getting rewards like collecting other objects to get your odds & ends together?
If I were a foreigner I would say "So typically Polish...".But I'm not and I'll be more specific then - "So typically PiS-LPR-Samoobron-ish" :pNow, seriously...I'm not open minded at all to eee... "sexual cases", so my judgement may be a bit biased, but where do you see impulsiveness in this reaction ?I fail to notice it - for me it's a perfectly reasonable answer. You can loose your memory, but you won't loose your habits. And Geralt didn't lost his memory completely either - he still can walk & talk it seems.Also, as to referring to women as objects... Well, the Witcherland is more or less at the dawn of the times we can compare to what we call the Dark Ages. And the only place where there can be slightest idea of gender equality are universities and magic schools.So that "collecting (..) object" thing, as sexist as it may seem, is perfectly in place there.Well, that's what I think at least.
(such as chain bikinis)
It's totally stupid, isn't it ?I'm really glad that The Witcher tries to be plausible in right places.
we've seen "exposed" are (...) and Triss
I hate that part...It's just sooooo un-Triss-ish to me.

I find it somehow interesting that "consuming women" to be rewardet with a trophy is considered as something homorous. But when it comes to some sort of joke regarding men's sexual nature than all of sudden all humor is gone. Why? o_OI don't mind nudity in the game. I don't mind Geralt bedding women like Vea, Tea or Renfri, These one night stands come and go and everyone has *beeeep*. These kinda women are part of the Witcherworld, part of the dark age and they have... *hmmm* some sort of seductive appeal, which I find somehow amusing and exciting. At least they have some kind of loftiness.*beeeeep* one night stands as objects / reward conveys sth as if women are just undignified, *beeeeep* and worthless... nothing more than objects.Well, I promise I'll never use any rude words again *beeeeep* ;D

Jaen-ni-rin said:
I hate that part...It's just sooooo un-Triss-ish to me.
Well I fear I haven't read any of Sapkowski's books yet, so I can't really say... :-X
Jaen-ni-rin said:
I find it somehow interesting that "consuming women" to be rewardet with a trophy is considered as something homorous. But when it comes to some sort of joke regarding men's sexual nature than all of sudden all humor is gone. Why? o_O
Well, I don't think so... Some people feel offended or insulted and some people are amused by (more or less subtle and thoughtful) jokes involving their own gender's sexual practices. I don't see any particular difference between men and women in that respect. If there was some slight difference to notice, I would say it's among women that this kind of joke is less well accepted, and justifiably so, since it's a fact that they are much more often subjected to mistreatments of sexual nature all over the world than men are, and that kind of mistreatments sometimes pictures, as do jokes (though the latter do it acceptably, without implied violence, physical or symbolic, where mistreatments and sexist ideology do it unacceptably and with implied physical and symbolic violence) women as sexual objects. Thus jokes are always subjected to suspicion : they are suspected of symbolic violence, of meaning to impose a false image of women. But isn't every joke like this, ridiculing one group or one person or another, without necessarily suggesting that the joke gives the accurate view of its object ?

Theres plenty of games out there that allow you to play as a woman main character. In the world of the witcher, that just wouldn't make any sense though. But I can understand how serious female gamers might be getting tired of all these macho games where the women are looked at as sexual objects with no importance. But hey, women do have equal rights now days so its up to them to make the kind of games they want. Don't bash the guys for doing what they want.

If you could play as a sorceress in this world, it would be more female than male oriented :) because they only use males as sexual and other objects and than, usually, throw them away (and that is best case scenario:))Even Geralt should be careful when ... talking with sorceress.

Too true Cammaris.There are just some extremities on the either of the sides of male-female continuum.Geralt just happens to occupy the male one, so that's why you've got all that female-are-treated-like-objects/rewards thing. Maybe they'll a sorceress the main character in the sequel :p Or Ciri :D

Cammaris said:
If you could play as a sorceress in this world, it would be more female than male oriented :) because they only use males as sexual and other objects and than, usually, throw them away (and that is best case scenario:))Even Geralt should be careful when ... talking with sorceress.
uuuhhh... an interesting idea ^^ why not the other way around? Strong women as fighter* or warrior* who "consume" men and then get a card as a special reward? :p*is there a female expression in English or does even the language ignore the idea that there could be female fighters or warriors? :D

*is there a female expression in English or does even the language ignore the idea that there could be female fighters or warriors? I think they would still be called Wariors Petra Silie ;)I played a lot of rpg some where the main char is a strong Female and have no complante about it myself Me I dont care as long as the stroy line is good and it keep me busy lol.

Ah, we have arrived at it at last. Took us four pages to decry English as a sexist language that doesn't have a separate word for a female fighter. ;DThe word "fighter" is used in the same manner as the word "human". In that sense it is genderless and can be applied to a person of either sex.In case someone feels wronged by the fact that words such as "human" or "woman" have "man" in them, here is a wee history lesson: In Old English the word "man" was used to identify a human being of no particular gender. Hence "mankind" and "humanity". To differentiate between males and females, people used to say "he-man" and "she-man".

MichaelT said:
The word "fighter" is used in the same manner as the word "human". In that sense it is genderless and can be applied to a person of either sex.In case someone feels wronged by the fact that words such as "human" or "woman" have "man" in them, here is a wee history lesson: In Old English the word "man" was used to identify a human being of no particular gender. Hence "mankind" and "humanity". To differentiate between males and females, people used to say "he-man" and "she-man".
LOL, you tell 'em, Michael.T! :D

And they say playing computer games stupefy ;) If it wasn't for The Witcher, it's possible we wouldn't learn about that :)

:D Wow, not exactly the issue I would've expected to be raised in advance of Witcher being released.Um, I guess it never really enters my head whether I play male or female roles in games, or for that matter, how much balance there is over time, in my doing that. It was my choice too,after all, to take on the challenge of playing the opposite gender.So when I play, I simply immerse myself into the character and play as skillfully or hopefully as authentically as the character was designed to be. Often to play successfully, I found identifying with the complete storyline gives a greater understanding of not only how to play the game to it's conclusion (or in this case..three conclusions lol) but an insight to how the character "thinks"....which then of course brings no conflict in my head whether I'm male or female on screen, as long as I'm doing it right. Male or female, all the graphics are beautiful and I can admire all equally...it's all good viewing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom