Yet another male-oriented fantasy game...

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's the problem, it's a guy.Had the main toon been a robot, she wouldn't have said a thing. Only later did she change the tone. It's the fact that it's a male, not the fact that it can't be changed that caused the problem. She doesn't like games having guys in them, nothing more. If she can't have a female toon, then we shouldn't be allowed a male one.

PetraSilie said:
There is only one main character who is "unfortunately" male.
Unfortunately male!?!? I am a Male and I do not find it Unfortunate in the least! Madam, your comments smack of sexism and I am reporting you to the moderators!!! (Joke ;D)But yes...she makes some valid points about "the game industry" in general, but I think The Witcher is the wrong field to fight that battle.

Which of her points are valid?She is just an attention seeking troll, who would say anything to rouse an argument. If she really cared about having more women in the industry or about making games "for women" she should have started her own development studio instead of annoying people on a forum.But wait... that would require learning how to program... or how to draw... or how to write... Yea, I guess bitching is MUCH easier.

@Michael.T You of all ppl should know better that it always easyer for ppl to complane then do something about it :D :D.I did see her point in gaming in genral. Some game makers are starting to see the point that it not just for guys anymore.But here the point when a game is being develope they have to acount not only will ithave a good stroy line good grafics and so on but also will it make money.wiith out good sales there would not be a part two to a game and so onBut she fail to see that the title of the game/book is called the Witcher Not the Witcher's.You know somthing maybe down the road if they do come out with a TW2 mite not be a bad idea where you have more then just one Withcer But all in all the main char is Garalt.

MichaelT said:
Which of her points are valid?
Well, we have to admit the game industry is rather one sided...given, it is a fiscal logistic. I am not typing that I agree with the way she went about getting her point across, and certainly not where The Witcher in particular is concerned.
MichaelT said:
She is just an attention seeking troll, who would say anything to rouse an argument.
Mayhaps, but I am not aquainted with her well enough to judge...maybe she is just "passionate" about the subject. ;)
MichaelT said:
If she really cared about having more women in the industry or about making games "for women" she should have started her own development studio instead of annoying people on a forum.
I would love to start my own developement studio as well. I feel there are not enough games based on H.P. Lovecraft. Anyone care to lend me a couple of hundred thousand dollars?! I can write and draw as well... ;D
MichaelT said:
Yea, I guess bitching is MUCH easier.
Yes...unfortunately it is...

I would love to start my own developement studio as well. I feel there are not enough games based on H.P. Lovecraft. Anyone care to lend me a couple of hundred thousand dollars?! I can write and draw as well...
Me too Strange if you fine some one send them my way LOL.think there only one HP game out there lol.But all kiding aside her statement has it grain of truth to it but finding the grain in a mist of bs is hard to find ;)And in truth I realy dont care what sex a main char is as long it a good story line fun to play that the main thing for me in any RPG I dont know about the rest of you but to me thats what a real rpg should be. All in All I think this is a veary good debait and no one has saided do I dare say it the AC word yet LOL *Runs and hides*

All I am interested in is great games. If that means getting shut of all the famales players, I'm all for it. On the other hand, if it means listening to the female gamers, and developing their ideas, I'm all for that too. I don't care how the developers do it, just give me great games, and I'll give you cash.Adding females for the sake of it doesn't improve the game for me. I'd rather have the extra development time spent on extra armour and weapons (or whatever). However, if adding the females made some difference to the actual game or plot, then fine, I'll have some of that too.

DrStrange said:
I would love to start my own developement studio as well. I feel there are not enough games based on H.P. Lovecraft. Anyone care to lend me a couple of hundred thousand dollars?! I can write and draw as well... ;D
Nah, you don't REALLY want to start one. :) If you did, you would do it anyway, without having hundreds of thousands of dollars. Those who are really passionate about something find a way. Those who are not find an excuse. People work on free projects, bust their ass for years in hopes of later finding a publisher or publishing a game themselves. I know a lot of people and studios that started that way.(I'm not bashing you personally, by the way. I too would like to have a game studio if I didn't have to work for it.)She, on the other hand, is nothing but a troll. NOTHING.

MichaelT said:
(I'm not bashing you personally, by the way. I too would like to have a game studio if I didn't have to work for it.)
I got you. Believe me, I know how much work it is and I certainly do not have the passion for it.It is kind of like wanting an inbred midget house pet...I think that would be amusing...but the novelty would wear thin eventually, and then what? I am stuck with a small mutant to feed and clean up after. Who needs that? Ok, maybe not the best of comparisons. ;D

MichaelT said:
LOL! That IS the best comparison ever! ;D ;D ;D I just imagined that, and now I am freaked out and laughing my ass off!
Do not ask me where that came from, man...The voices in my head are always suggesting odd things. ;D

DrStrange said:
DrStrange said:
Unfortunately male!?!? I am a Male and I do not find it Unfortunate in the least! Madam, your comments smack of sexism and I am reporting you to the moderators!!! (Joke ;D)But yes...she makes some valid points about "the game industry" in general, but I think The Witcher is the wrong field to fight that battle.
She has valid points in regard of the game industy but mingles her arguements to The Witcher's content where a female protagonist isn't really possible. Moreover I think she knows not much of the scene. Though she mentioned somewhere she has a job in the game industry? o_O Anyway, there are women in the game industy, I just have this example on hand. But the most known example of a succesful woman in the game industry is Jade Raymond from Ubisoft who is producer of that certain AC game, which Seeker doesn't dare to mention in full length ;D AC's protagonst isn't a handsome male and it wouldn't be so high expected if the main char is a woman.And the "unfortunately male" expression... *ahem*
I meant, this "person" had the bad luck to be male and was unfortunately in the firing line of her's argue-ammo

"And the "unfortunately male" expression... *ahem* I meant, this "person" had the bad luck to be male and was unfortunately in the firing line of her's argue-ammo"I know, I know...I was only jesting. ;D

PetraSilie said:
PetraSilie said:
PetraSilie said:
She has valid points in regard of the game industy but mingles her arguements to The Witcher's content where a female protagonist isn't really possible. Moreover I think she knows not much of the scene. Though she mentioned somewhere she has a job in the game industry? o_O Anyway, there are women in the game industy, I just have this example on hand. But the most known example of a succesful woman in the game industry is Jade Raymond from Ubisoft who is producer of that certain AC game, which Seeker doesn't dare to mention in full length ;D AC's protagonst isn't a handsome male and it wouldn't be so high expected if the main char is a woman.And the "unfortunately male" expression... *ahem*
I meant, this "person" had the bad luck to be male and was unfortunately in the firing line of her's argue-ammo
Well, I believe she said that she's an engineer, not that she has a job in the game industry. She said that she probably makes more money than "most teenage boys" though I have no idea why she thinks that makes her an expert on all things game-related. She also said that she does some modding for games.What I mostly don't like is her arrogant attitude and how she claims to know what's best for the entire gaming industry. If it's not done her way then everything "sucks" and she goes even further to make derogatory comments about CDPR. If she went about making her points in a mature fashion I'm sure her words would carry a lot more weight and perhaps she'd help further her goals. I've never heard of any game developers that chose to make significant changes to a game because someone called them clueless, stupid, sexist pigs.

She makes more money than most teenage boys? WOW!!! That must have been soooo hard to achieve!Everyone knows that teenage boys have the biggest salaries in the world! She must be some kind of a genius to make more than them!

MichaelT said:
She makes more money than most teenage boys? WOW!!! That must have been soooo hard to achieve!Everyone knows that teenage boys have the biggest salaries in the world! She must be some kind of a genius to make more than them!
LOL .. just lol .... Just tell her to go out and buy the No One Lives forever collection and play that till the cows come home.

MichaelT said:
Your right there Michael she must work at MacD rather then Wendys :DI think most of us here make more money then a teenage boys but you dont see us braging about it :p

TooFarGone said:
Is there some reason in particular that we shouldn't have "male orientated" games anyway?
Nope, considering games are entertainment and if someone decides to make a "male-oriented" game then that is their choice (obviously). If females are irritated that a game was designed to attract a male audience I think it makes just as much sense for me to get irritated that Barbie was designed to attract females. There is nothing wrong with targeting a specific group when designing a means of entertainment. In fact, doing so is pretty vital to a products success. But I won't go into the whole economic aspect (too far off topic :-X).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom