Yet another male-oriented fantasy game...

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
MichaelT said:
Ah, we have arrived at it at last. Took us four pages to decry English as a sexist language that doesn't have a separate word for a female fighter. ;DThe word "fighter" is used in the same manner as the word "human". In that sense it is genderless and can be applied to a person of either sex.In case someone feels wronged by the fact that words such as "human" or "woman" have "man" in them, here is a wee history lesson: In Old English the word "man" was used to identify a human being of no particular gender. Hence "mankind" and "humanity". To differentiate between males and females, people used to say "he-man" and "she-man".
Veary well put Michael.T learn somthing new every day. If Im not mistaken the word Warior is also genderless as well Im not sure the full meaning on the histroy of that word but Im sure one of you will look it up ;)

Seeker said:
If Im not mistaken the word Warior is also genderless as well Im not sure the full meaning on the histroy of that word but Im sure one of you will look it up ;)
You're right, Seeker, 'warrior' may be applied to a woman as well as a man with perfect propriety (remember the TV show 'Xena: Warrior Princess'?), although the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) also lists 'warrioress' as a word. That one, of course, is strictly feminine and not often used.Anyway, 'warrior' came into Middle English from Old French (werreieor or guerrieur, etc.), as a lot of words did. You can see that it's related to 'war'. The first definition (now obscure) was 'one who makes war upon; a persecutor'. The modern definition is 'one whose occupation is warfare . . . in eulogistic sense, a valiant or an experienced man of war.' (This is all from the OED.) Remember, we often use 'man' inclusively (i.e. to mean 'person' or 'human being'), even today. ;)

Daerdin said:
Come on. We are no ordinary players. We are RPG players! ;D
I am sorry I must pick on you a small bit ..... I cannot wait for this game so I am being a forum troll for sure I apologize ahead of time for this reason.proper HTML XML would be something like this:I think thats right .. lol .. hmm people in glass homes eh?

My we have a bunch of historical experts here.The notion that women in medieval times were sex objects with no influence is laughable and misinformed. For a start you would have to define 'medieval' and also which country or part of the world was implied.There were very few times and places in reality where women had no influence and were simply sex objects. In the few times there were, the men were also serfs and the property of the nobility, and frankly no better off as they could be sex objects too if their lord was inclined to prefer them to the women.Through most of history however, whilst women rarely had equal rights, they did in practice exert considerable influence, even if they simply ruled households. There is also no period in history that did not have queens, empresses, or female nobility with often considerable power or outright leadership. Many ancient societies were very enlightened. medieval Europe was not one of them but in reality serfdom was oppressive to all, male and female, and you still had ruling queens and powerful women in the upper classes.The notion that women were at any time simple sex objects is just the sexual fantasy of the posters who probably want to live in such a fictitious period. In the few cases where they were, most men were inevitably little more than the women.Women were worse off in some places than others. Japan gave them very little influence. But again Japan gave the overwhelming majority of men no influence either.The novels however, this being more relevant in this case, do not describe women as purely sex objects or subservient or without influence. I am willing barely to tolerate that you *must* play Geralt, but to be honest, games which force you to play a male character are a major put off for me no matter how good the rest of the game actually is. I can see the reasoning in this case, but frankly I would have preffered it if some solution had been found to let you play a female. Gothic had no such excuse as a novel to be based on and despite it being a good game, or so i am told, I never purchased any of its 3 installments, simply because it forces you to play a man. I know several other women who also did not buy it despiute being RPG fans, simply because we didnt find the notion of playing a male fun.

Yeahwitcher said:
proper HTML XML would be something like this:
Nope, it'd be something like:
Code:
Come on. We are no ordinary players. We are RPG players!
or:
Code:
or:
Code:
Your version has tag unclosed twice (opening tag without closing tag ), it also has attributes without values ("mode", "on" and "off" in would be treated as attribute names). The "" should be without "" or have those as "<" and ">", unless it's some kind of weird tag.

@Aurore I agree with most of what you saided here I myself would like to see a opp where you can play ether Male or Female char but sometimes the story line will not fit that idea when it comes to it.Im not sure if this is true I think I read it in the Witcher home page where you can play one of the main Female char of the Wichers and if that the case I dont know if that for the full game or only a small part of it.There have been games where the main char is Female and dint mind it at all for what matter to me is the story line and the fun that the game give me.I know there are gamer out there that will not buy a game becaue of just playing one gender.And it just turns them off wich is kind of sad in my book.To me the main idea about gaming is having fun and to get lost in a world that is veary diffent form what we live in now if only for a while Just like a good book would do.

Ha! Imagine that... female characters rewarded with mini game cards for seducing callboys and gigolos :pThough I think that won't suit in the game story o_O@Aurorewise words :)

Aurore said:
I am willing barely to tolerate that you *must* play Geralt, but to be honest, games which force you to play a male character are a major put off for me no matter how good the rest of the game actually is. I can see the reasoning in this case, but frankly I would have preffered it if some solution had been found to let you play a female. Gothic had no such excuse as a novel to be based on and despite it being a good game, or so i am told, I never purchased any of its 3 installments, simply because it forces you to play a man. I know several other women who also did not buy it despiute being RPG fans, simply because we didnt find the notion of playing a male fun.
While you are very much correct when you speak of history, the above two paragraphs gave me a good laugh.Do you mean to say that you (or those other women) are unable to enjoy a computer game for no reason other than the lack of a female playable character? If this is so, it is utterly ridiculous to the point of being completely insane. Is this some deeply rooted psychological inadequacy or simple sexism?I have never heard of a male player who would refuse to play a game where the character was a female. As long as the character in a game is believable, it doesn't matter if it is male or female or a green sexless alien.You obviously don't owe us anything, but I for one would be very interested in learning your reasons.Personally I can't imagine passing on games such as King's Quest 7, Kegend of Kyrandia 2, Beyound Good and Evil, The Longest Journey, Phantasmagoria, American McGee's Alice, NOLF, NOLF2 or Keepsake. All these games do not allow you to play as a male. Neither does Tomb Raider, which I never played because I don't like the genre.

Personnally I'm vegetarian, i really think I won't play a game like "The Witcher" in wich you eat chicken, ghouls and so one !! Can't you understand I can not identify myself to a character who eat poor little animals ??...More seriously I've been very surprized by reading Aurore's post !I've never meet a man that refuse to play with an female character !! Most of the time the gamers are even creating a lots of different character in order to discover fully the game !@Aurore : You never play with an elve, a dwarf ? (unless you are one of them ...)In my opinion, it's too bad for you, you'll miss a lot of fun in refusing all the male character game.But this descision concerns only you ...@The devellopers : Maybe you should try to explain to Sapkowski that you need a carismatic woman in his next novel ?

Tom32i said:
@The devellopers : Maybe you should try to explain to Sapkowski that you need a carismatic woman in his next novel ?
I think he already has plenty! :D I would love to play as Yenifer or Triss!

Aurore, maybe you will go on a feminism manifestation rather posting on forum? -_-.No no, no flame war. Just agreed with Micheal.T and Tomi32i in one phrase ;).

gosh this topic is fun :Dno offence but i cant believe you're truly arguing on this matter :) if only this were a game with custom character generation i could see your point. but it's like not watching a film with johnny depp or brad pitt or whatever because they're male :)

Aurore said:
to be honest, games which force you to play a male character are a major put off for me no matter how good the rest of the game actually is. I can see the reasoning in this case, but frankly I would have preffered it if some solution had been found to let you play a female.
The problem is, many games have a story that only makes sense if your character is a fixed gender, e.g. if a woman is going to fall in love with you as part of the plot--Ultima VII got around this by the character being sort of bisexual, but for many situations it just won't be believable.
Aurore said:
Gothic had no such excuse ... I never purchased any of its 3 installments, simply because it forces you to play a man. I know several other women who also did not buy it despiute being RPG fans, simply because we didnt find the notion of playing a male fun.
That's a very unfair assessment. Unlike most RPGs, Gothic has no pre-game character creation whatsoever. Just like an action-adventure (Tomb Raider, The Legend of Zelda, etc.) you're given a fixed character tied to the story, and you can only customise him or her to a certain degree. You could similarly say that Gothic forces you to be tall, or skinny, or have brown hair, or be clean-shaven, or whatever. Pre-made characters are like that.As for the story not being an excuse for the male lead, well in fact it is. The first Gothic was set in a penal colony. Inside the colony the very few women present had literally been sent in as trade goods, so you know what sort of social standing a female player character would have among the prisoners. The male protagonist has a hard enough time dealing with men who push him around because they think he's a weakling (often you have to stay well away from them until you're powerful enough to stand up to their bullying); it would be twice as difficult for someone seen as "a mere woman" to get by in the colony when many of its residents consider intimidation and brute force to be the deciding factor for earning respect.As for the sequels, since they directly continue the adventures of the same character (II and 3 both begin only a few days after the ending of the previous instalment) there is no way a female character could be introduced without having a lot of extra dialogue for this newcomer--in II and 3 those who remember the Nameless Hero's deeds generally address him as a returning hero who can surely help save the world yet again, which certainly couldn't be the case for an unknown female lead. In the case of Gothic 3 inserting a female character choice would require an entirely separate opening to explain how she gets there.Now that I think about it, I have never once been turned off a game because I could only play as a woman. Tomb Raider, Popful Mail, Perfect Dark, Monster World IV... I found all of these fun (sometimes much more fun than comparable games where you just so happen to play as a male); as long as the character is believable and not just there as a selling point (WOW SHES SOOO HAWT) I'm fine with it. Some RPGs like Morrowind and Mount&Blade give the female characters noticeable attribute differences from the males, so even from a purely mathematical basis the female gender choice has more than mere cosmetic differences to set it apart.By writing off such a vast number of games as male-oriented you're missing out on some wonderful experiences. Gothic II is one of my favourite games ever, but not because it's about a guy I can easily relate to (sometimes he has to do or say things I definitely wouldn't). It's just about believability.In real life I'm not a fearless sword-wielding treasure-hunter with serial kleptomania, so it's not too much a stretch of the imagination to imagine myself as a fearless female sword-wielding treasure-hunter with serial kleptomania. It doesn't matter if a game is built around an anteater, if the depiction of that anteater is believable and the gameplay mechanics are good I can get into it and greatly enjoy the game.Well, I suppose it's "your loss" as the saying goes.

Now this is a point I want to put out on this matter. Ask yourself this.Would you not buy a book just because it has a male Lead in it?Gaming is just another way of story telling. The only thing defrent is that you are playing that lead role.Like I said befor dose not matte what Gender a char is to me as long it a good story line and fun to play

Seeker said:
Now this is a point I want to put out on this matter. Ask yourself this.Would you not buy a book just because it has a male Lead in it?Gaming is just another way of story telling. The only thing defrent is that you are playing that lead role.Like I said befor dose not matte what Gender a char is to me as long it a good story line and fun to play
Hear, hear! :)

Darian said:
Darian said:
to be honest, games which force you to play a male character are a major put off for me no matter how good the rest of the game actually is. I can see the reasoning in this case, but frankly I would have preffered it if some solution had been found to let you play a female.
The problem is, many games have a story that only makes sense if your character is a fixed gender, e.g. if a woman is going to fall in love with you as part of the plot--Ultima VII got around this by the character being sort of bisexual, but for many situations it just won't be believable.
Darian said:
Gothic had no such excuse ... I never purchased any of its 3 installments, simply because it forces you to play a man. I know several other women who also did not buy it despiute being RPG fans, simply because we didnt find the notion of playing a male fun.
That's a very unfair assessment. Unlike most RPGs, Gothic has no pre-game character creation whatsoever. Just like an action-adventure (Tomb Raider, The Legend of Zelda, etc.) you're given a fixed character tied to the story, and you can only customise him or her to a certain degree. You could similarly say that Gothic forces you to be tall, or skinny, or have brown hair, or be clean-shaven, or whatever. Pre-made characters are like that.As for the story not being an excuse for the male lead, well in fact it is. The first Gothic was set in a penal colony. Inside the colony the very few women present had literally been sent in as trade goods, so you know what sort of social standing a female player character would have among the prisoners. The male protagonist has a hard enough time dealing with men who push him around because they think he's a weakling (often you have to stay well away from them until you're powerful enough to stand up to their bullying); it would be twice as difficult for someone seen as "a mere woman" to get by in the colony when many of its residents consider intimidation and brute force to be the deciding factor for earning respect.As for the sequels, since they directly continue the adventures of the same character (II and 3 both begin only a few days after the ending of the previous instalment) there is no way a female character could be introduced without having a lot of extra dialogue for this newcomer--in II and 3 those who remember the Nameless Hero's deeds generally address him as a returning hero who can surely help save the world yet again, which certainly couldn't be the case for an unknown female lead. In the case of Gothic 3 inserting a female character choice would require an entirely separate opening to explain how she gets there.Now that I think about it, I have never once been turned off a game because I could only play as a woman. Tomb Raider, Popful Mail, Perfect Dark, Monster World IV... I found all of these fun (sometimes much more fun than comparable games where you just so happen to play as a male); as long as the character is believable and not just there as a selling point (WOW SHES SOOO HAWT) I'm fine with it. Some RPGs like Morrowind and Mount&Blade give the female characters noticeable attribute differences from the males, so even from a purely mathematical basis the female gender choice has more than mere cosmetic differences to set it apart.By writing off such a vast number of games as male-oriented you're missing out on some wonderful experiences. Gothic II is one of my favourite games ever, but not because it's about a guy I can easily relate to (sometimes he has to do or say things I definitely wouldn't). It's just about believability.In real life I'm not a fearless sword-wielding treasure-hunter with serial kleptomania, so it's not too much a stretch of the imagination to imagine myself as a fearless female sword-wielding treasure-hunter with serial kleptomania. It doesn't matter if a game is built around an anteater, if the depiction of that anteater is believable and the gameplay mechanics are good I can get into it and greatly enjoy the game.Well, I suppose it's "your loss" as the saying goes.
Wow Darian that was a well thought out response and deserves to be quoted for the masses of ' female femininsm ' IMO (ducks)

The idea of playing "The Witcher" as "the witch" seems pretty strange to me :'( This game is about Geralt. In my oppinion the famale characters in Sapkowskis books seem to be strong and really not "surpressed". Okay, the artwork and some gameplay parts are revealing. But that is exactly what I MISS in other computer games. "The Witchling" mumbled the grandmother. "named Witcher by some. Is very dangerous to send for him, though necessary whether nothing helps against monsters and vermin, thus helps the Witchling. But beware... beware not to touch the Witchling, 'cause may gain scabies. You shall also hide the maids, 'cause the Witchling is far in excess of lewdness..." (from the german version of Sapkowskis first witcher book)Well, I even thought about starting a topic "witcher: a game for girls! or not?" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom