YOU as a Cyberpunk character! What would THAT look like?

+
YOU as a Cyberpunk character! What would THAT look like?

Well, in my case, I'd probably have to start a character as a clone as I myself, as I sit now would be well over 100 in 2077. Provided that a descent copy of my attitude, skills and experiences could be transferred into a clone, it might look a little like this: Above average intelligence and reflexes, a fairly normal in everything else...it is SKILLS that things would look a little weird...but trust me, it all works out. Hmm, let's see. 6 years in the Army in the Chemical Corps, an expert Grenadier and Machine Gunner, a Sharpshooter with an M16 Rifle, a Wheeled vehicle Badge awardee (150,000 miles accident free), a tour in Germany (2 years), a tour in Korea (1 year), Military hand to hand combat training, some experience/training with Wing Chun Kung-fu, Training in N.B.C Decontamination, Reconnaissance and Smoke operations, knowledge in the use of light anti-tank weaponry and the M-79 grenade launcher, training in the use and deployment of explosives (National Guard Engineer training), Creation of Napalm, improvised explosives and a few rudimentary chemical agents/ knowledge of their use/ deployment. Some knowledge in asymmetrical warfare tactics, use of knives, strangle wires and the like, stealthy, use of crude booby traps/ proper creation/ deployment (via my deceased Uncle who was a " Tunnel Rat" in the "Nam" and my old Drill Sgt...A Pathfinder in that same conflict.),Use of pistols, shotguns and long rifles, driving tracked vehicles ( In the form of an 113 Armored Personnel Carrier.), Basic Tech, mechanics, electronics and the like. I also have been a creative writer since I was a child and have an Associates of General studies with a Major in Psychology and a minor in Literature. Well that about wraps it up for this guy....I know, just call me " ODDJOB". How about YOU!

Last edited:
Mine wouldn't be a particularly interesting character to play, though I always make my characters a reflection of myself in some way - whether it's through morals, appearance, or in-game actions.

Call me a wuss, but I hate being a jerk to people in video games. Can't do it. Given the option to kill innocent women and children? Nope (yes, even in GTA when possible). Beat the crap out of that annoying reporter in Mass Effect? Nope.

Not implying I can't distinguish between reality and fantasy, but I immerse myself in my games. I take them seriously, they are more than a silly diversion to me. I do play other characters with different sets of morals, motivations, etc, but some part of me always carries over.

So, ultimately, my character would be trying to do good in a crappy world, whenever possible. That doesn't mean staying on the right side of the law - rather, it means holding some sort of ethical code that he (or she, if I'm feeling it) would try not to break. No killing innocents -- yes, even if that means others die as a result -- no stealing from those who can't afford to lose it, etc. I liked how many opportunities you were given to do this sort of thing in TW3.

As for appearance, I'm pretty average. Nothing too special. Not overweight, not underweight, though I'm quite tall (6'5"), brown hair, glasses. Typical nerd. Except I can grow a beard... I like to think it adds to my dignity (Yes that's a TW3 reference).

Skills/interests? Not many. I'm a journalist (I write about tech/video games) I've always had a talent and passion for writing. Skipped the whole college thing as I felt it was a waste of time (for me). Currently working on programming on the side, specifically C++ and game development in general.

I guess my character would be good at anything tech/geek related. Hacking, net-related stuff. Not so much guns, explosives or weaponry in general. Ideally, I'd be talking my way out of situations whenever possible, which is something I'm alright at in real life, too.

Common sense - if you're being robbed at gunpoint and you don't have a gun of your own, don't play the hero. Don't escalate, even if it comes at the cost of wounded pride.

Snowflakez;n10233302 said:
Beat the crap out of that annoying reporter in Mass Effect? Nope.
Forum high-five for not creating an inter galactic scandal!

If I was a CP character though, I'd probably end up a Media or well-meaning Corporate. I also play music, so I could be a Rockerboy if the whole education thing didn't work out. It would definitely be a role where persuasion & influence was the preferred means of getting what I want. I've shot guns in my life, but I doubt you'd want me in the alley at your side against some thugs in a firefight.

I seem to recall doing a "me as a character" thing a couple years back ... I sounded AWESOME.

Grew up on a farm without indoor plumbing so I'm a passable carpenter, electrician, and plumber ... and a better then average mechanic.
Oh ... yeah ... I can grow corn, oats, soybeans, and wheat ... milk an slaughter cows.
Then to get off the damn farm I joined the USMC and stayed 20 years. As a female in the mid 70's you basically had a choice, you could be an Admin Clerk, a Dispersing Clerk, or a Supply Clerk ... I was Supply. In the mid 80's the world changed and I wound up in Military Police then thru a series of "how the hell did that happen" I wound up in counter-terrorism intelligence with a specialty in Nuc, Bio, Chem Warfare (i.e. WMDs) and eventually attended virtually every school offered by the US Military on the subject, and a couple foreign ones. Spent the First Gulf War in the sandbox chasing Saddams chemical weapons and telling commanders what to do with contaminated sites. And no ... I was never an officer, and never wanted to be one ... I like having dirty fingernails.
After being forcibly retired by Bill Clinton (may he someday rot in jail where he belongs) in the 90's I picked up a college degree in Computer Science (Systems Analyst; assembler is my favorite computer language) with minors in Anthropology (Linguistics), Geography (Physical), and History (mostly pre Christian Era and Midevil). Then I worked as a contractor for little places like American Express, Wells Fargo, and EDS for a few years, and a couple Beltway Bandits (US Defense Contractors).
Early on I discovered a really niche hobby called "wargames" (and yes, I was the ONLY female that played them in the entire state as far as I know) then dominated by such awsome titles as Tactics II (1958) and AFrika Korps (1964) and in 1975 I friend of a friend got me copy of something called D&D which came as three soft cover booklets in a box and pretty much required a set of miniatures rules called "Chainmail". Over time I contributed to various games, wrote articles for various magazines, and acted as a "concepts and ideas person" and unofficial sounding board during numerous late night bull sessions with some folks you may (or may not have) heard of in the RPG "industry" (Not including Mike ... never meet him ... be we had a few mutual friends. We may have crossed paths at any of various West Coast Cons in the late 70's and 80's tho if he attended any.).
I'm now officially retired and still toss the occasional e-mail and alpha/beta test of various concepts back and forth with some old buddies that still have to work for a living.

So I guess I'm a Solo/Cop/Techie/lame Netrunner (I was never a "hacker").

Yeah ... it sounds FAR more like delusional bragging then anything, and I don't blame anyone for thinking it is.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10237612 said:
I seem to recall doing a "me as a character" thing a couple years back ... I sounded AWESOME.

Yeah ... it sounds FAR more like delusional bragging then anything, and I don't blame anyone for thinking it is.

Not complaining. Interesting to get a look into your storied past. Your life is far more interesting than mine. :p

I've still got a few years to make something interesting happen, though. Maybe I'll go skydiving or try eating squid meat.

Snowflakez;n10237662 said:
Not complaining. Interesting to get a look into your storied past. Your life is far more interesting than mine. :p

I've still got a few years to make something interesting happen, though. Maybe I'll go skydiving or try eating squid meat.
There are advantages to being an old fart ... you've had LOTS more time to do things.

It depends, I like to play RPGs with character creation twice, male and female. Also I like to base my character on myself in some way (appearance, personality, class, skills, stats).

For example:

My male characters appearance would be short light brown hair, golden tanned skin, green eyes, fairly skinny, tall, stubbly facial hair, full lips, aquiline nose. I would be cynical, guarded, brooding, stylish, a little arrogant and selfish yet have a caring side deep down. I will have a Braindance addiction holding me back though. Since I am a very good talker and not very good with combat I will be a Fixer. Although I will put enough points in Martial Arts and Pistols for me to survive a fight. I would also be very good at Linguistics, History and Biology. I had a old lover but I am cynical because she left me. I see the city for what it is a cesspool of decay and decadence but try to find something meaningful out of it.

If I were to play as a female I would keep the appearance similar but flip everything else. Certain things would be feminised e.g long light brown hair, golden tanned skin, green eyes with longer eyelashes, soften the nose, add a feminine definition to the lips and maybe add some gloss or lipstick, no facial hair, shorter height, thin with small perky breasts. She would be cynical and guarded but very rarely show any sense of caring or morality. Since skills are flipped she would be antisocial and very good at combat therefore she would best as a Solo. She would be great at Martial Arts and exceptional at Ballistics and Pistols. Being a former soldier she would also have some knowledge of Stealth and Hacking. She worked as a bodyguard for Arasaka CEOs but was betrayed. Now she works as a hit woman for the Edgerunners and the filth. An unstoppable killing machine, she will stop at nothing to get revenge on those who betrayed her.

But thats just how I would do it. That way I would get two very different playthroughs. One being more like a downbeat Neo Noir, Blade Runner/Strange Days type experience and the other an action packed, 80s/90s styled runthrough akin to the Terminator or Ghost in the Shell.

I just hope there is a character creation system to be honest. Aside from that and the aesthetics, I'm not fussed. I know everything else will be great, but no character creation is kind of a dealbreaker for me since having your own custom character was the best part of the PnP.

Draymar23;n10238932 said:
It depends, I like to play RPGs with character creation twice, male and female. Also I like to base my character on myself in some way (appearance, personality, class, skills, stats).

For example:

My male characters appearance would be short light brown hair, golden tanned skin, green eyes, fairly skinny, tall, stubbly facial hair, full lips, aquiline nose. I would be cynical, guarded, brooding, stylish, a little arrogant and selfish yet have a caring side deep down. I will have a Braindance addiction holding me back though. Since I am a very good talker and not very good with combat I will be a Fixer. Although I will put enough points in Martial Arts and Pistols for me to survive a fight. I would also be very good at Linguistics, History and Biology. I had a old lover but I am cynical because she left me. I see the city for what it is a cesspool of decay and decadence but try to find something meaningful out of it.

If I were to play as a female I would keep the appearance similar but flip everything else. Certain things would be feminised e.g long light brown hair, golden tanned skin, green eyes with longer eyelashes, soften the nose, add a feminine definition to the lips and maybe add some gloss or lipstick, no facial hair, shorter height, thin with small perky breasts. She would be cynical and guarded but very rarely show any sense of caring or morality. Since skills are flipped she would be antisocial and very good at combat therefore she would best as a Solo. She would be great at Martial Arts and exceptional at Ballistics and Pistols. Being a former soldier she would also have some knowledge of Stealth and Hacking. She worked as a bodyguard for Arasaka CEOs but was betrayed. Now she works as a hit woman for the Edgerunners and the filth. An unstoppable killing machine, she will stop at nothing to get revenge on those who betrayed her.

But thats just how I would do it. That way I would get two very different playthroughs. One being more like a downbeat Neo Noir, Blade Runner/Strange Days type experience and the other an action packed, 80s/90s styled runthrough akin to the Terminator or Ghost in the Shell.

I just hope there is a character creation system to be honest. Aside from that and the aesthetics, I'm not fussed. I know everything else will be great, but no character creation is kind of a dealbreaker for me since having your own custom character was the best part of the PnP.

That sounds awesome! I'm really hoping we get an in-depth character creator of some sort, I'll probably do something very similar to this.

Snowflakez;n10239412 said:
That sounds awesome! I'm really hoping we get an in-depth character creator of some sort, I'll probably do something very similar to this.

Well I had a look at the 2012 Summer Conference and Marcin Iwinski said "You will be able to play the character you want and customise the character". I was confused by what he said about "the" characters. I was thinking to myself if he means that we choose from a list of characters? So I re-watched that awkward interview with Mike Pondsmith from last year and Mike said "Adam (Kicinski) and I spent literally months just beating on ideas so that you, the player, can get the best feel for your character". That cleared it right up because if its "your" character that would mean that you can create a character in CP 2077. I mean a set character like Geralt is never your character because everybody plays as him in the Witcher series. Geralt belongs to nobody haha. But in all seriousness I am 100% sure Maximum Mike confirmed character creation. I think the confusion might have been from Iwinski's english. His english is very good though I will give him that :D

Draymar23;n10239932 said:
Well I had a look at the 2012 Summer Conference and Marcin Iwinski said "You will be able to play the character you want and customise the character". I was confused by what he said about "the" characters. I was thinking to myself if he means that we choose from a list of characters? So I re-watched that awkward interview with Mike Pondsmith from last year and Mike said "Adam (Kicinski) and I spent literally months just beating on ideas so that you, the player, can get the best feel for your character". That cleared it right up because if its "your" character that would mean that you can create a character in CP 2077. I mean a set character like Geralt is never your character because everybody plays as him in the Witcher series. Geralt belongs to nobody haha. But in all seriousness I am 100% sure Maximum Mike confirmed character creation. I think the confusion might have been from Iwinski's english. His english is very good though I will give him that :D

It does seem to be all but confirmed from all the information we have so far, and it would admittedly make the most sense given the source material, but there's always that lingering doubt... Still, "your" character seems like a pretty clear sign that they at least plan(ned?) to have character creation at one point or another.

Here's hoping!

Snowflakez;n10239972 said:
It does seem to be all but confirmed from all the information we have so far, and it would admittedly make the most sense given the source material, but there's always that lingering doubt... Still, "your" character seems like a pretty clear sign that they at least plan(ned?) to have character creation at one point or another.

Here's hoping!

So, just clone my physical appearance now and you'd get a regular dude, a bit pudgey, thick but short beard, slicked back hair, mirror shades and a leather trenchcoat. No metal arms yet.

I have an odd skill set... I've climbed mountains, forged streams, been robbed, participated in the robbing (all in the past, a good woman can really change a man) loved shooting sports since I was a wee lad, I can effectively fly a cessna-172, I can drive an ambulance, I can FIX said Cessna and Ambulance (and about anything else with a motor in it) I keep a calm head in difficult situations, I keep calm in intense situations. Was nearly killed by an angry 14 year-old (he was 6'6" 300 pounds and he had a 10 foot length of rebar) I've been required (by former workplace) to verbally teach a young man how to properly masturbate (really really awkward that was) I've been trained to de-escalate angry folks (and how to apply force when necessary) I've had training in 2 schools of martial arts (both self-defense oriented rather than aggressive) I can do all aspects of building a house apart from foundation laying, I can weld (not a pretty job, but good enough for what I've needed it for) I'm an educator, a pastor (much more difficult job than you'd think, trust me) I've done my share of leading and of following, I can play 3 instruments (four if you include vocals, which I do) I can build people up (and tear them down) and am currently working on obtaining an EMT license with the end goal of being Med Flight Paramedic. All this in my 26 year old mind makes for some interesting dreams and lots of strange sleep talking, my wife is amazing for putting up with me.

To all you other "Oddjob"s out there, you aren't alone.

I'm also currently looking for a job, if anyone is interested (hahaha kidding... but seriously)

RLKing1969;n10233192 said:
some experience/training with Wing Chun Kung-fu

Hm, that's brother style of Hung Gar which I do. Was it taught under military training?
These martial arts take quite more time (building elements are smaller and more mortar/work is needed) then for so called
combat systems, so that is why I am curious.

Suhiira;n10237612 said:

Grew up on a farm without indoor plumbing so I'm a passable carpenter, electrician, and plumber ... and a better then average mechanic.
Oh ... yeah ... I can grow corn, oats, soybeans, and wheat ... milk an slaughter cows.
Then to get off the damn farm I joined the USMC and stayed 20 years. As a female in the mid 70's you basically had a choice, you could be an Admin Clerk, a Dispersing Clerk, or a Supply Clerk ... I was Supply. In the mid 80's the world changed and I wound up in Military Police then thru a series of "how the hell did that happen" I wound up in counter-terrorism intelligence with a specialty in Nuc, Bio, Chem Warfare (i.e. WMDs) and eventually attended virtually every school offered by the US Military on the subject, and a couple foreign ones. Spent the First Gulf War in the sandbox chasing Saddams chemical weapons and telling commanders what to do with contaminated sites. And no ... I was never an officer, and never wanted to be one ... I like having dirty fingernails.
After being forcibly retired by Bill Clinton (may he someday rot in jail where he belongs) in the 90's I picked up a college degree in Computer Science (Systems Analyst; assembler is my favorite computer language) with minors in Anthropology (Linguistics), Geography (Physical), and History (mostly pre Christian Era and Midevil). Then I worked as a contractor for little places like American Express, Wells Fargo, and EDS for a few years, and a couple Beltway Bandits (US Defense Contractors).
Early on I discovered a really niche hobby called "wargames" (and yes, I was the ONLY female that played them in the entire state as far as I know) then dominated by such awsome titles as Tactics II (1958) and AFrika Korps (1964) and in 1975 I friend of a friend got me copy of something called D&D which came as three soft cover booklets in a box and pretty much required a set of miniatures rules called "Chainmail". Over time I contributed to various games, wrote articles for various magazines, and acted as a "concepts and ideas person" and unofficial sounding board during numerous late night bull sessions with some folks you may (or may not have) heard of in the RPG "industry" (Not including Mike ... never meet him ... be we had a few mutual friends. We may have crossed paths at any of various West Coast Cons in the late 70's and 80's tho if he attended any.).
I'm now officially retired and still toss the occasional e-mail and alpha/beta test of various concepts back and forth with some old buddies that still have to work for a living.

So I guess I'm a Solo/Cop/Techie/lame Netrunner (I was never a "hacker").

I don't call it bragging. People, if they REALLY stop and think about it (Especially, if they have lived a few years.) have more life experience than they would care to admit...And that was the entire point of this post.. BTW. I did my time (First tour) during the Reagan years and was in country (Germany) when the "wall" came down back in 90'. I was at Ft. Carson, Col. during the Clinton era on the "Banana Belt".... Yep, I ended up in Korea (1995-1996). I take it from your post that being called "Ma'am" is strictly OUT of the question, no?

Last edited:
Osidlus;n10245442 said:
Hm, that's brother style of Hung Gar which I do. Was it taught under military training?
These martial arts take quite more time (building elements are smaller and more mortar/work is needed) then for so called
combat systems, so that is why I am curious.

Actually, I did some training in the art with an Army buddy of mine...don't ask me where HE learned, I honestly can't remember. I think he said that he took some classes back East (I'm from Oregon on the West Coast.). You are learning Hung-Gar? Here in the states or abroad? My Wing Chun training was a bit limited...We sparred a bit. He taught me some stuff, I taught him some stuff. No official "Schooling" per se. Just a couple of G.I's swapping tradecraft. I taught him some...well...questionable... tactics I was taught by my old D.I (Who was a Pathfinder during the Vietnam War and , from what I was able to gather, had to perform some of the rather nasty skills he was taught.) and in exchange, he taught me some about Wing Chun. I don't want to give the impression that I am, in any way certified to teach, but he taught me some pointers and I showed him what I knew. Just two Army soldiers doing our best to make sure that the other was better prepared for whatever battles might await us both.

Last edited:
RLKing1969;n10257912 said:
Actually, I did some training in the art with an Army buddy of mine...don't ask me where HE learned, I honestly can't remember. I think he said that he took some classes back East (I'm from Oregon on the West Coast.).

Army HTH training, at least the stuff that they taught back in the day, was a mixture of Judo, Boxing, wrestling and Karate.

RLKing1969;n10257902 said:
I take it from your post that being called "Ma'am" is strictly OUT of the question, no?
Call me anything you like ... but don't expect any reply but a dirty look if you call me Ma'am.

GySgt USMC (Ret.)

RLKing1969;n10257912 said:
Actually, I did some training in the art with an Army buddy of mine...don't ask me where HE learned, I honestly can't remember. I think he said that he took some classes back East (I'm from Oregon on the West Coast.). You are learning Hung-Gar? Here in the states or abroad? My Wing Chun training was a bit limited...We sparred a bit. He taught me some stuff, I taught him some stuff. No official "Schooling" per se. Just a couple of G.I's swapping tradecraft. I taught him some...well...questionable... tactics I was taught by my old D.I (Who was a Pathfinder during the Vietnam War and , from what I was able to gather, had to perform some of the rather nasty skills he was taught.) and in exchange, he taught me some about Wing Chun. I don't want to give the impression that I am, in any way certified to teach, but he taught me some pointers and I showed him what I knew. Just two Army soldiers doing our best to make sure that the other was better prepared for whatever battles might await us both.

Thanks for the replies. Those war sealed friendships must be something else, not that I like war.
As for Hung Gar and me: I am from Czech Republic, had a couple years under Lam family lineage Sifus. Later on (as I moved because of job)
I have been practicing basic drills, first foundation form (taiming the tiger in I pattern) and occasionally spar with boxers. But one thing is noticable: speedy techniques like jab fades the fastest. I wonder how much would be left after weeks of captivity,starving limited space, sleep deficit. There I think skill like tiger claw can be maintained better (Hung Gar is five animal style).

What is my opinion after being 10 years with style yet practicing the basics? It builds up sort of immovable presence.

btw: this gentleman is former Marine practicing Hung style:

Last edited:
Osidlus;n10263612 said:
Thanks for the replies. Those war sealed friendships must be something else, not that I like war.
As for Hung Gar and me: I am from Czech Republic, had a couple years under Lam family lineage Sifus. Later on (as I moved because of job)
I have been practicing basic drills, first foundation form (taiming the tiger in I pattern) and occasionally spar with boxers. But one thing is noticable: speedy techniques like jab fades the fastest. I wonder how much would be left after weeks of captivity,starving limited space, sleep deficit. There I think skill like tiger claw can be maintained better (Hung Gar is five animal style).

What is my opinion after being 10 years with style yet practicing the basics? It builds up sort of immovable presence.

btw: this gentleman is former Marine practicing Hung style:

I am glad to hear that Hung Gar is much wider spread than it once was...I can recall a time in which it was said it was on the verge of extinction abroad due to a shortage of qualified instructors. Insofar as the fading of abilities, we CAN take heart from the tale of the creator of Monkey Style who created said style while imprisoned (He watched the actions from the guard monkey tree while being imprisoned for the unpremeditated murder of a conscription officer.). Age is far from a friend to any of us, but so long as we train with intent and purity of ethics, we cannot help but succeed when the use of ones chosen art is most needed. Great clip, by the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom