"You fire your gun at a human enemy 10 levels higher than you - headshot."

+
Man, I can't wait to create a level 1 character and then go kill cyberboars for XP.

@Topic: I think I already mentioned this around here: there are few things less satisfying then have to shoot enemies 17 times in the head for them to die.
Also, I really hope I can overcome my enemies with skill, not luck. E expect that headshoting an enemy is about successfully aiming in its head, not rolling a dice.

Honestly, that tweet made me worry about what kind of combat Cyberpunk will have.

joaopinga;n9755531 said:
@Topic: I think I already mentioned this around here: there are few things less satisfying then have to shoot enemies 17 times in the head for them to die.
Also, I really hope I can overcome my enemies with skill, not luck. E expect that headshoting an enemy is about successfully aiming in its head, not rolling a dice.

The 17 headshots part I agree with, but the rest kind of nullifies the characterskill from the equation if the thing just works by ”aim at head and win”, if there’s no character based randomness or distortion (that doesn’t necessarily mean %-chance to score a hit).

kofeiiniturpa;n9755731 said:
The 17 headshots part I agree with, but the rest kind of nullifies the characterskill from the equation if the thing just works by ”aim at head and win”, if there’s no character based randomness or distortion (that doesn’t necessarily mean %-chance to score a hit).

Well, instead of damage numbers you could perhaps have a larger less focused reticle, and when you take aim you might not aim properly. Literally apply sets of different animations based on skill level, where you see your character physically perform at an inferior level and become better with experience and training, graduating to professional animations. Aim Down Sights could be misaligned or not ADS at all but that thing where it just increases the zoom slightly without actually bringing the gun into focus.

If people invest into firearms skills, it might become more and more like streamlined FPS game; but only for those who invested in those skills to make the game play that way, while some people who invested in intellectual / tactics skills and perhaps even with an implant that alters time perception, you might end up with a playstyle that feels more like a turn based tactics game where things seem to pause between actions and actions are planned out ahead of time with your augmentations.

The precision you can get with a mouse, especially compared to a thumbstick on a joypad, is ridiculous. I remember how different it was playing GTAIV with a mouse, where I could one shot every car in a chase out of the equation by pinpointing the head of the driver and then having a significantly harder time with the Xbox controller. In an RPG that should set out to make characters feel distinct through skill ratings you need something that impedes "sheer skill" or more like "input accuracy" to be it all. Why would you invest in gun skills otherwise?

joaopinga;n9758001 said:
Relevant:

That's where the event starts at. If the condition is that the soldier is inexperienced and the alien is a pro or otherwise better occupied with the situation at hand, it might well unfold such a way that the alien manages to dodge or shove the gun aside before the unskilled trooper can pull the trigger. Hence not 100% success rate.

Sirenapples;n9755971 said:

I'd be more or less fine with something like that, but it wasn't what was suggested (what I objected for).

Decatonkeil;n9756451 said:
---snip---

Agreed.

Last edited:
Maybe that rifle hasn't been cleaned in a while and will more likely than not jam just when you need it most. So 65% is a pretty reasonable outcome in that situation.

kofeiiniturpa;n9758071 said:
That's where the event starts at. If the condition is that the soldier is inexperienced and the alien is a pro or otherwise better occupied with the situation at hand, it might well unfold such a way that the alien manages to dodge or shove the gun aside before the unskilled trooper can pull the trigger. Hence not 100% success rate.

I'd be more or less fine with something like that, but it wasn't what was suggested (what I objected for).

Agreed.

WAIT! You mean to tell me that the universe doesn't revolve around me and when I make a decision to do something, others make decisions too?! That the thing I'm aiming at is trying its hardest to not die just like me, and may do something unpredictable and have me with my rifle in its face as part of its plan? You need to watch more Americanized media, you obviously don't understand how the world works....

I don't know how the Cyberpunk mechanics work, but I'm hoping it's something similar to Shadowrun. Where you don't have "levels", but rather you slow improve your stats and skills over time (if you can live that long). Not like D&D where characters magically get more health for leveling up and hits become less and less deadly. Shadowrun's system gives characters health based on their toughness, and weapons do more or less set damage (mitigated by defense). So essentially, one bullet CAN kill you. You can improve your odds of not getting hit, and try to protect yourself to reduce the damage, but a gunshot is a gunshot, and even if you're not dead, you're being crippled by it until you can recover. In Shadowrun, as your health drops, you get penalties to everything (because even if you just took a shot to the arm, you're still not going to magically be functioning at 100% until you flat out die).

No "hit points", no "levels", and each injury cumulatively makes you less and less effective till you pass out from bloodloss/pain or die.

BjornTheBandit;n9770031 said:
WAIT! You mean to tell me that the universe doesn't revolve around me and when I make a decision to do something, others make decisions too?! .

Yeah I know it sounds preposterous. :D

kofeiiniturpa;n9754581 said:
Oh but it is if the implied experience and the practical experience are at odds, which they usually are due to the ideals striving for opposite directions and both being wanted in -- the former towards character control and the latter towards player control. Then you get confused shit like Fallout 3.

Exactly. And since CDPR has confirmed real time fully under player control gameplay, that means rpg mechanics have to be different than how they are handled in crpgs.

This assumes repetition of those former titles is suggested, and that their faults can not be helped.
Given the context it also implies it is insane to struggle against trends and think outside the box because it always leads to your example games anyway.
Seems like a hopeless situation, but none of that is really true. Aside from Morrowind, all of those examples attempted to be a "shooter with stats", that does not need to be the case here.
The game need not be designed such that your crosshair is representative of anything else but the general direction you look at, and aiming and firing a weapon can work differently. (for example)
It's not written in stone that those examples of yours are some kind of pinnacle of "traditionalesque" RPG design in any respect that would need to be copied.
It might be insane to repeat and expect things to change, but it is also dullminded to think there are no options and then not even try to find them.

You are assuming that there are always different solutions to same problems that can have as good results as result of "sheer human ingenuity".

And how many examples do you need more than what've had in the past two decades? Fifty years? Two centuries?

The game need not be designed such that your crosshair is representative of anything else but the general direction you look at, and aiming and firing a weapon can work differently. (for example)

Again: clear incoherency and contradiction. Give player direct, real time control over every actions and then separate shooting mechanics through something else. It leads to extremely clumsy style of gameplay, proven again and again and again.

Dicerolls or % chance over basic actions which are directly under player control, have no place in action gameplay...there can be abolutely no if's or but's, could be or should be, on this.

No matter how you try and tweak it, what it comes down to is: they are two completely opposite design principles.

You can see this clearly in comparison between Morrowind:

Now take a look at Gothic, where you control your character just like in any action game), but character progression in skill changes actual attack animations, becoming more faster and fluid.

Exactly the same is with Mass Effect compared to Deus Ex.

There's no actual standard on "how much" control the player actually needs to have with those perspectives. It is nowadays just automatically assumed that it is all of it, because so many other games do it that way

It is not "automatically assumed", it is completely logical as third/first person perspective are closer to our own and as result more immersive ( that includes every human that has ever lived). And that means rpg mechanics have to be more immersive and logically integrated into direct gameplay as well.

Crpgs ( like BG II or Fallout II) and their base mechanics were almost entirely played in isometric perspective so the player did not have as much intricate control over character's actions and character progression ( in certain skill) had more control.

Suhiira;n9755291 said:
So you don't see a problem with a game where dialog options and skill success/failure are determined by CHARACTER skills/traits/alignment/class and combat is in the hands of the PLAYER?
As to the rest of it ... I'm perfectly fine with people enjoying COD ... I just have no personal desire to play it ... nor do I want to see an RPG ... ANY RPG ... utilize FPS mechanics because the very concept of RPG is shattered when skill use (and yes, combat is a skill) success/failure it taken from the character and given to the player.
P.S. And yes, I'm ignoring all the games out there that call themselves RPGs (usually because that have some sort of leveling or skill selection system) but really aren't.

Your statement is extremely similar to how religious people see their sacred truth/dogma..some kind of eternal, everlasting dogma, this-is-the-only-way-how-things-should -be, that is and always will remain the same.
But whole human history very clearly shows it is actually nothing more than product of cultural circumstances of their time... and no matter how they like to pretend otherwise, it Always changes.

Same is true here.

Action rpgs combine player and character skill together that, for a lot of players, creates a more immersive and engaging experience.
This is not "dumbing down", simply rpg mechanics being adapted to a different format. For example:Souls series have more complex mechanics and variety of builds than Fallout and Baldur's Gate combined ( and they are not even full blown designed as rpgs)...there is no inherent "depth" to any of this types of games, only how their systems are designed.

Now you can say, that these types of games are not for you and that is perfectly fine. But CDPR has never designed that type of game and they made it clear they're not aiming to do it here.

Eltyris;n9789811 said:
You are assuming that there are always different solutions to same problems that can have as good results as result of "sheer human ingenuity". And how many examples do you need more than what've had in the past two decades? Fifty years? Two centuries?

And you seem to assume there are none, but one.

You know, back in the day when this kind of tech was at its infancy, games were actually diverse. There was no singular ideal goal, that "this" must not be done and only "this" way is the right way.

Today it's the rigid line of thinking where first person perspective automatically means player substitution of the character, ergo first person shooter/stabber. No room for anything else. That's just creative bankrupcy at play.

Eltyris;n9789811 said:
Again: clear incoherency and contradiction. Give player direct, real time control over every actions and then separate shooting mechanics through something else.

You can put every single piece of control under a stat. Every single one. Starting from walking. If you are inclined. The perspective is nothing but camera placement. If there is a governing stat or a skill for any action, it should work too. Incoherent or not, the activities of the game are valued differently. Moving is considered so basic thing that it is usually not put under any more control than an exhaustion meter for running; shooting is a more special activity that requires more aptitude and focus from the character and hence it is often put under a skill.

Now I wouldn't mind at all if the MA stat in CP2020 was used to control how well the characer walks and runs, and that there was an actual skill to determine if and how well the character can swim. Not at all. Would that make things more coherent to you? That those too was similiarly under a stat as shooting could be.

If you are going to have "character skills" and progression in the game, they damn well better do something worthwhile to the gameplay throughout their whole range and the game. Otherwise they can all be thrown out and just let the game stroll as it does from start to finish. Like how Witcher 3 probably would've been better for not having that clumsy afterthought of a skill and leveling system that clearly wasn't meant to do much at all (like it didn't).

Eltyris;n9789811 said:
Dicerolls or % chance over basic actions which are directly under player control, have no place in action gameplay...there can be abolutely no if's or but's, could be or should be, on this. No matter how you try and tweak it, what it comes down to is: they are two completely opposite design principles.

That's the sort of rigid thinking that there is alternatives to what you consider some kind of golden rule.

I have never specified that realtime shooting should work via %-checks, not unless they were accompanied by a control scheme designed accordingly (i.e. active target lock, not free crosshair or iron sights). But then again, if you throw bullet spread and recoil spread, dynamic crosshairs and shit in the picture, those work through randomness just like the dreaded %-checks. And if you don't even have those... well, happy turkey shooting.

If comprehending the concept of the separation between character and player is too much to handle, like with people getting confuzzled with missing in Morrowind, then they're playing the wrong game and should stop. There sure are other games that are more "logical" and "coherent" to them.

You cite Gothic a lot. That game relies heavily on damage delivery and progression as well as mastery of the controls. This is all well and good but it also leads to being able to cheese the mechanics so that you can nickle and dime the enemies to death at level 1. I have no idea how you'd translate Gothic into Cyberpunk knowing that the bulk of combat works with firearms and that there is no HP/damage bloat to control the challenge (at least there isn't in the PnP).

Eltyris;n9789811 said:
It is not "automatically assumed"

Of course it is. You're doing it right now. :D

Eltyris;n9789811 said:
Crpgs ( like BG II or Fallout II) and their base mechanics were almost entirely played in isometric perspective so the player did not have as much intricate control over character's actions and character progression ( in certain skill) had more control.

There were also first person blobbers like Wizardries and Might&Magics that considered the party as a single entity and worked like Fallouts and Baldur's Gate's.

Last edited:
Eltyris;n9789811 said:
Action rpgs combine player and character skill together that, for a lot of players, creates a more immersive and engaging experience.
This is not "dumbing down", simply rpg mechanics being adapted to a different format. For example:Souls series have more complex mechanics and variety of builds than Fallout and Baldur's Gate combined ( and they are not even full blown designed as rpgs)...there is no inherent "depth" to any of this types of games, only how their systems are designed.

Now you can say, that these types of games are not for you and that is perfectly fine. But CDPR has never designed that type of game and they made it clear they're not aiming to do it here.
What you say it perfectly true, for action games (like Souls) throwing RPG game mechanics out the window is perfectly fine since they're ACTION games not RPGs. But if your game is intended to be an RPG you can't ignore RPG game mechanics.

You seem to hope/expect CP2077 will be an action game, I'd prefer it be an RPG.

Last edited:
One way one might pull off the balance between the two would be some intelligent npcs (as close as you can get with preprogrammed stuff anyway.) So, say my combat level is at "meh" level, and the bloke I'm taking a swing at has high reflexes (assuming he isn't incapacitated or distracted and is fully attentive of me.) If my character is clumsy, the enemy might just dodge it, and sock me in the nose. No disruption in the cause and effect brain-space, but my sub-par skill level is still to blame. If my character was freakin' Bruce Lee, perhaps he could punch and that poor guy's reflexes just aren't quick enough and he ca't react in time, then I smear the walls with "Git gud, scrub" in his blood, and move on.

Not to say some kind of tactic outside of hand to hand wouldn't work. I'm thinking sword guy from Indiana Jones; Indy would never have beaten him at his own game. Indy just thinks "fug dat" and shoots him, changing his tactics to make a difficult fight into a steamroll. But again, if you're amidst an altercation with a cyberpsycho... You may have to try something else, and you'd better think fast before you're disemboweled...

Like I said in a different thread, I loved how the first Fable ALLOWED you to try combat with a massive axe, even if you didn't have the physique to be effective with it, but the animations showed that your character had limp noodle arms, and couldn't even walk effectively because he was dragging the thing on the ground, and his attacks showed him barely mustering the strength to lift the thing for a strike, which was decidedly weak if you DID manage to connect. So you weren't FORCED to use a smaller weapon (I actually almost completed a run as weak as possible using one. What a waste of life...) BUUUUUT it was a good idea.

If the npcs are designed to be up to the task, then character skills and action gameplay can find a beautiful compromise and work with synergy rather than being at odds.

Last edited:
BjornTheBandit;n9790011 said:
I'm thinking sword guy from Indiana Jones; Indy would never have beaten him at his own game.

Fun fact... There was originally going to be a fight (yeah, Indy would've won), but Ford was sick and couldn't perform well so they settlet it the other way.

kofeiiniturpa;n9790061 said:
Fun fact... There was originally going to be a fight (yeah, Indy would've won), but Ford was sick and couldn't perform well so they settlet it the other way.

I like it the way it turned out better... it was a good comedic relief

Though, while I can see a solution in how the npcs react to players, I'm having a harder time with players reacting to npcs. I'M not Bruce Lee, so even if I'm in complete control of him, I don't have his speed or relexes, therefor if I was up against an inferior character to Bruce who was superior to ME, then my character's skill level would be a moot point if there weren't some system in place that did combat for me and therefor would be useless if it was COMPLETELY character controlled.

Someone back me up! I like my idea, but it's painfully a one-sided process. I'm not strong enough to fit the square into the circle hole, someone give me a hand!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom