You need to seriously overhaul the crafting/upgrade system.... (With Suggestions!)

+
Keeping in mind CyberPunk is supposed to be a role-playing game.. The looting system completely destroys the crafting/upgrading system.

I can see what it was supposed to be about.. You want to Role-play as a gunsmith-esque character who likes to tinker with toys. Awesome. Problem... is what many threads already have said... the loot system completely chokes out the crafting/upgrade system.

So here you are, you finally put together a somewhat decent looking outfit you like. (Which is hard enough to do, and nearly impossible for a female V). You either spend money, or scrounged up the look over time.. Do a few missions, and of course, you've already in the span of 30 minutes, picked up better stuff...

You now have 4 options. (with only 1 viable one).

1) Bite the bullet, and just switch it out. (Only viable option, if you want to keep up with enemy levels).

2) Upgrade the pieces.. Which costs too much, for way too small of an upgrade.. I'm picking up gun/outfit pieces that are netting me nearly 20-30 more armor or damage, or just better additional stats or slots.. Yet it I would need to upgrade my outfit piece about 10 times and cost me tons of parts... It would be better to just straight out buy, or craft a new piece if I have the blueprints.

3) Craft a new gun/outfit piece, Which costs an abhorrently large amount of parts, and sometimes even higher grade parts than what the piece actually is. Due to how often good guns, or even excellent stat guns drop, this option is a waste of time. Even if you could craft something better, it'll be rendered obsolete in about 3 missions..

4) Just wait until you find a random drop of the weapon/outfit piece you want to keep that has better stats...

----------------------------------

There is obviously a huge issue... and just lowering the drop count of guns, or lowering their chances of good stats is not the correct answer without compensations, since that'll be just a band aid on the problem. You still need viable ways for people who don't want to go down the crafting tree to still get good stuff here and there, or at least be able to generate enough money to buy what they can't find from stores.

-------------------------------------

My Suggestions:

1) lower the chances good weapons/gear drop from enemies significantly, but add in perks down other tree's which up the chances of them dropping stuff. ("Bosses" or enemies of significantly higher level/strength than your character can still drop "preemo" stuff with a good average).

2) Completely re work the crafting tree..

Left side of the crafting tree dedicated to weapons:
- Add in perks allowing the character to customize the weapon more, with various levels to it. (Level 1: makes the weapon a tighter spread in damage ranges, level 2: allows you to choose the damage type, etc.)
- Add in perks to be allows to adjust or change weapons you picked up, examples: Perks that allow you to change the damage type of a weapon, alter the affects of a weapon, etc.)
-Add in perks that allow you unlock special perks for the weapons randomly. (SOrta already there, but..) The next levels could then have varying levels allowing you to choose more powerful versions of them, or pick them rather than be random as you go up in levels of that perk.
- Perks which allow you too, for a high cost of parts, add slots to any weapon, even adding 1 additional mod slot over what you'd be able to find normally in any shop, or random drop at the highest level.

Right side of the crafting tree dedicated to armor:
(Same as above mostly)

Middle of the crafting tree straight down, dedicated to global buffs and implants:
- Cost reductions in crafting
- Being able to craft higher level stuff. (as well as mods and implants, etc.)
- More materials, and better chances of obtaining stuff when you break it down.
- Buff perks, and proficiency perks to upgrading equipment, making upgrading give bigger buffs as you level it up, as well as costing less.

----------------------

WIth these changes, you've now got a good balance between looter/street kid who goes with what he gets, and the cybernetic gunsmith who knows how to make a saucepan into a terrifying weapon.

The looter style of just picking up what you get and going with it, can still buff their drop rates, and chances through perks from other tree's, while the crafter is getting proper compensation for the skill points they are investing in that system.

-------------------------

Off note: I also had a wacky idea of keeping the loot system as is mostly (with a slight nerf cuz its really over kill right now even for the looters), but make it that every crafting skill has a trade off in the open world.

Example: You spec into being able to craft better equipment, but you signficantly lower the chances of finding good equipment laying around. This trade off would balance the over abundance of loot killing the crafting system, while still making it worthwhile and fun to play around with. Crafting would still have a good benefit in being able to specialize, and customize your armor/weapons as you go up the tree, over a purely RNG basis.
Post automatically merged:

I hope CDPR is watching these forums..

Last edited:
To add to what you said, for a little more clarity:

The way upgrade costs increase is a problem, it increases far to much, and far too fast for upgrading to really be worth trying to keep something for more than a level or two - if even that.

Turning the upgrade number into a multiplier the way it is now (ie, if it cost 15 of something to upgrade the first time, it'll cost 150 the tenth time) is a really spectacularly bad idea. (Unless you don't want people to actually bother upgrading things in which case, why is it even a thing?)

Sure, it sounds good that the more you upgrade something, the more it should cost to continue upgrading...
But when it costs more to upgrade something than to make a brand new item (which then also has far better stats, regardless of quality tier) it's a problem.

Frankly, since their is also a level restriction on how far something can be upgraded, the cost increase should either be removed or be capped at a reasonable level - twice the original upgrade cost should be good.

On a secondary note, on the whole I do like that the base first upgrade cost is the same regardless of item, but I also think requiring Uncommon components for upgrading a Common item is a bit of a d*ck move. (As is requiring Legendary components to make some Epic items, and Epic components for some Rare items, etc)

Top Bottom