You think we need a reworking of the suggested levels and the loot?

+
You think we need a reworking of the suggested levels and the loot?

I do like the game, but... well, I feel a bit of pressure when it comes to when I should do what - and every time I come across a new quest that sadly is 10 levels below me (like one in Novigrad that was level 2) it's a bit disappointing.

I like a challenge, but I am also a completionist in a way. I just like to explore and... anyway, that's one point I find a bit annoying, as I am now starting to go through the quests by level ot by what catchs my interest.
And of course this also plays into the over-levelling issue some people have been complaining about, as it seems to me that you are unlikely to encounter several quests before having surpassed their suggested level.

I would havd much preferred something like a level range that adjusts to your own level. A quest with a level range of 3-7 would have level 3 enemies at a minimum for players at 3, but would scale with the player level up to the maximum of 7. Harder quests could even have an open max, guaranteeing a good challenge whenever you so them.

The other thing, well, I have been getting really low-level loot from higher level enemies, quests, contracts and treasure hunts.

A level 16 monster on a level 16 contract dropped a level 8 relic. Great sword but useless for my level 14 witcher.
A Witcher gear treasure hunt of level 18-20 (I think) gave me witcher gear of level 13 and a level 17 enemy dropped a level 9 relic.

Is the suggested level system so often so wrong? I completed that witcher treasure hunt at level 14 and got useful stuff, but if I had waited until I had reached the suggested level, the gear would've been not that good anymore.

Thoughts, anyone?

I do like the game, but... well, I feel a bit of pressure when it comes to when I should do what - and every time I come across a new quest that sadly is 10 levels below me (like one in Novigrad that was level 2) it's a bit disappointing.

I like a challenge, but I am also a completionist in a way. I just like to explore and... anyway, that's one point I find a bit annoying, as I am now starting to go through the quests by level ot by what catchs my interest.
And of course this also plays into the over-levelling issue some people have been complaining about, as it seems to me that you are unlikely to encounter several quests before having surpassed their suggested level.

I would havd much preferred something like a level range that adjusts to your own level. A quest with a level range of 3-7 would have level 3 enemies at a minimum for players at 3, but would scale with the player level up to the maximum of 7. Harder quests could even have an open max, guaranteeing a good challenge whenever you so them.

The other thing, well, I have been getting really low-level loot from higher level enemies, quests, contracts and treasure hunts.

A level 16 monster on a level 16 contract dropped a level 8 relic. Great sword but useless for my level 14 witcher.
A Witcher gear treasure hunt of level 18-20 (I think) gave me witcher gear of level 13 and a level 17 enemy dropped a level 9 relic.

Is the suggested level system so often so wrong? I completed that witcher treasure hunt at level 14 and got useful stuff, but if I had waited until I had reached the suggested level, the gear would've been not that good anymore.

Thoughts, anyone?

The level scaling is not the solution. It is just a dumb system where all quest scale to your level.
This is the right system. The Gothic system. And it is the only way in an open world RPG.
It's not a game for everyone, but a game in which you have to follow the main quest and do the sidequest in the area where the main quest leads you.
But I would change most of the quest in Skellige. There are some on level 12, but the minimum level of the quests in that area should be 20.

I dont really know the system but after i finished the main story there were lots of ? in velen. And i was 30+. And there were like level6 treasure hunts and i got level30+ armor and weapons. I think the solution is to keep those low level quest for much later. Of course it's just for the loot. Killing enemies with a single hit is just boring.

The level scaling is not the solution. It is just a dumb system where all quest scale to your level.
This is the right system. The Gothic system. And it is the only way in an open world RPG.
It's not a game for everyone, but a game in which you have to follow the main quest and do the sidequest in the area where the main quest leads you.
But I would change most of the quest in Skellige. There are some on level 12, but the minimum level of the quests in that area should be 20.

Just give us ng+ with scaling monsters and quests, and you fairies can prance about in ng one shotting everything like a bunch of girls blouses :)

Guest 3838453

Ofcourse it needs reworking ,the wildlife and quests that scale with Geralt level instead of predetermined levels for all quests and monsters that always stay locked at the level they are from the begining of the game ... which makes 2/3 of the game hilariously easy ... also whoever figured the the xp reduction for quests 6 levels below Geralt level should be fired on the spot ... they could not fix the problem with game dificulity so they implemented the mechanic that forces the game not to reward you for quests if they are too low level AND I CAN BET that this mechanic is behind the MAJOR game braking bug where players were not rewarded XP for any quests ... the outcome of this is that most secondary quests are pointless because they give no satisfaction after you solve them + they become ... just easy ,AND the funniest thing is that Marcin says this is working as intented ,no its not working its ruining the game because I need to let to leave main quests to solve those secondary before they become too low to reward me thus fucking up the immersion so I cant enjoy the story flow because of some stupid game mechanic that lazy developer figured . NG+ wont fix this because again at some point in the first half of the game again you will become overpowered ...

Last edited by a moderator:
moonknightgog;1805328{ But I would change most of the quest in Skellige. There are some on level 12 said:
Minimum 20 would be too much - but since 16 is recommended to get there I agree it's weird to have quests lower than that.

I might be in the minority but I actually like the scaling in Skyrim.

The loot system in The Witcher 3 is awful when it comes to armor and weapons in my opinion. I went to Skellige at Level 5 in search of the Nilfgaardian Guardsman armor, but it just doesn't spawn until you reach a certain level. Same for the merchants, they sell weapons and armors depending on your level. I'm not a fan of leveled gear in general

Last edited:
Either an adjustment or do away with it.

Most prominently I'd like to get rid of the damage penalty for fighting against enemies that are deemed too far above you. I've no problem with an enemy being tough to fight against and requiring careful use of skill to beat it. If it's getting a damage bonus and I'm getting a damage penalty though, just drawing the fight out because of "numbers" then it really does start to suck balls.

I'd hope (personally0 for established xp rewards for tasks that remain consistent regardless of player level. Enemies are set at a certain health and damage potential with more dangerous areas having more dangerous enemies. All level requirements for equipment to be either set at one or removed *entirely*. If I can have it crafted, pick it up and carry it then I ought to be able to use it.

To tell the truth outside of a way of gaining skill points to distribute I'd be happy to simply get rid of levelling *entirely* and have Geralt and the player improve via the player improving their skill and Geralt's equipment improving. The levelling system so far has just gotten in the way of the game for me. I visit a location, meet someone, want to help them when there is a sense of urgency but nope... I'm not a high enough "level" yet. The mechanics are getting in the way of the narrative and setting which is pretty bad.

Levels, stat-tastic, loot-centric, NPG (number playing game) muddy the waters of what should have been a solid effort at sandbox. Cheeze gaming is cheeze gaming.

Release REDkit, the modding community will fix it. Skill Based game play is the only way to do this sort of thing and avoid a train-wreck of confusion and frustration (and stream of threads regarding lack of difficulty).

Witcher 3 Story 10/10
Witcher 3 Sandbox n/a.

Levels, stat-tastic, loot-centric, NPG (number playing game) muddy the waters of what should have been a solid effort at sandbox. Cheeze gaming is cheeze gaming.

Release REDkit, the modding community will fix it. Skill Based game play is the only way to do this sort of thing and avoid a train-wreck of confusion and frustration (and stream of threads regarding lack of difficulty).

Witcher 3 Story 10/10
Witcher 3 Sandbox n/a.

What do you mean by sandbox n/a? You can do a lot of stuff in a huge open world, if that's not sandbox, what is?
To me not-sandbox is a game like L.A. Noire, a huge city with nothing to do except story missions (and maybe very few side activities)

What do you mean by sandbox n/a? You can do a lot of stuff in a huge open world, if that's not sandbox, what is?

"lot of stuff" lacks relevance. Requires no skill, just wander around one-hit-killing everything on Death March difficulty. "do a lot of stuff" needs to have a purpose, primarily Combat Challenge, or Collections, or Building Faction, or Building Housing, or Building Relations, or ..

I was being kind with N/A, was going to say: Wither 3 Sandbox 3/10

three points for "incredible exploration".

Last edited:
"lot of stuff" lacks relevance. Requires no skill, just wander around one-hit-killing everything on Death March difficulty. "do a lot of stuff" needs to have a purpose, primarily Combat Challenge, or Collections, or Building Faction, or Building Housing, or Building Relations, or ..

I was being kind with N/A, was going to say: Wither 3 Sandbox 3/10

three points for "incredible exploration".

I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion. If you don't wanna kill everything with one hit I suggest you use a sword that does less damage, I'm fine with my level 15 and 16 swords at level 35.

I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion. If you don't wanna kill everything with one hit I suggest you use a sword that does less damage, I'm fine with my level 15 and 16 swords at level 35.

Don't get me wrong, W3 is an incredible game, and that I have over 100 hours in just exploration (no main story 2nd play-thru) says a lot about the journey and exploration alone. "The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King" the play/story is brilliant. The combat is brilliant, once you understand it, maybe that's why it is so easy, that they did such good work on combat.

I wish CDPR would crowdfund something for W3, Co-op multiplayer, a robust REDkit Modding tool, a major upgrade to the Sandbox, adding proper life and scripting to every single character in the game. I'm just a bit spoiled by a heavily modded skyrim, where you can literally walk up to any NPC in the game, friendly guard, hostile monster and embroil it/them into all aspects of your journey. The choices and fractal emergence is so vast, they stop becoming 'choices' and instead reveal incredible breadth of creativity in a gameworld without limitation -- sandbox.

Don't get me wrong, W3 is an incredible game, and that I have over 100 hours in just exploration (no main story 2nd play-thru) says a lot about the journey and exploration alone. "The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King" the play/story is brilliant. The combat is brilliant, once you understand it, maybe that's why it is so easy, that they did such good work on combat.

I wish CDPR would crowdfund something for W3, Co-op multiplayer, a robust REDkit Modding tool, a major upgrade to the Sandbox, adding proper life and scripting to every single character in the game. I'm just a bit spoiled by a heavily modded skyrim, where you can literally walk up to any NPC in the game, friendly guard, hostile monster and embroil it/them into all aspects of your journey. The choices and fractal emergence is so vast, they stop becoming 'choices' and instead reveal incredible breadth of creativity in a gameworld without limitation -- sandbox.

Yeah, co-op would be really great and I don't see why it wouldn't work with the combat system.
I have Skyrim for PS3 with terrible lags, with mods it really is on a whole different level.

I do like exploring caves and such better in Skyrim but I'm more than satisfied with what CDPR gave us.

I agree with all the complaints. Honestly, it's useless to make levels so important that half the time they screw any interest on doing secondary quests, or it forces you to make them at a certain time, breaking immersion (you have to forget about the main story or whatever seems most interesting to you because you have to run to make that stupid level 10 quest before you reach level 17).

Also, THIS is the most absurd issue of the game, well-spoken by MacCrusher:

It is stupid how numbers and stats direct almost everything in this game and, worse of all, how they are horribly balanced. If you want to make a 'mathematics-oriented RPG', you better at amazing at balancing it. And the fact that CDPR have not spoils the game entirely.

Yeah, co-op would be really great and I don't see why it wouldn't work with the combat system.
I have Skyrim for PS3 with terrible lags, with mods it really is on a whole different level.

I do like exploring caves and such better in Skyrim but I'm more than satisfied with what CDPR gave us.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67261/?

someone is probably working on a Yen Follower mod as I type, You can marry both Yen and Triss in Skyrim, have relations with them, have children with them, build them houses, buy them jewelry. You can listen to W3 sound track in Skyrim CDPR gave permission to a modder to use.. But yeah, I think there is just so much lost in translation from PC modding to the inherent limitations of console. CDPR should consider using the Modding community as a vehicle for improving console expansions. That all mods are collaborative, accessible and inclusive to all platforms, with granted permissions. Let the community write their next major expansion.

But back on topic, I was able to mod-repair for skyrim all the problems the OP describes, laments about W3.

All hail Gothic....

As much as I love Gothic 1 +2 dndr at least 1 and 2 vanilla are at least as broken as the gameplaymechanic in Witcher 3 and they aren't even open world. And even G2 Dndr isn't better the difficultyspike is just raised, but I still can clean khorinis in act 1 and you probably too, in the other acts are just new set spawns which The Witcher does not have, Gothic is one of the few really great RPGs but it doesnt make everything right especially not a flawless gameplay, great story, unforgettable characters, but it's really linear and without "real" choices.. (great now i have to install it again...)

Maybe I am the only one but the Loot doesn't bother me that much since it's not as much loot orientated as other games so I have no problem running arround with a lesser sword until a nice new one comes arround. The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of challenge (yes i play DM), and I really would apriciate a way to increase the difficulty, but not by restricting myself, I think at least the Mainquest should scale in some way so the bossfights won't get easy and the Siege of KM is more of a challenge. It seems anticlimatic when you face of against the dread of the Wild hunt and they hardly scrap your life and you chop them up as it was nothing. Another problem is with the Quest density in certain levelareas especially between 5-17, there are so many quests with this requirement that you outlevel this area twice doing them, on the other side are nearly now endgame quest accept for 2 or three over 30, they should shift that a bit or as said scale the mainquest and monsterhunts in a way.

I can live with those small events on the map when a trader is fleeing from low level ghuls i have no problem killing them and helping him, but for the Mainquest and Monsterhunts it would be nice if they would just say something, the monster is your level +5-10 or something, when you take the contract so you can say ok I try it or I level up a bit, so you can do it rightaway or first complete the quest you already have at hand, so you can do quests in one area but won't outlevel areas you have never been to like skellige. It also just is a ridicoulous design to set a mainlevelquest to 16 and let the next quest you get is level 11 that makes no sense, and when the suggestion says you should go to skellige arround level 16 don't make level 10 quests in skellige too they are not really interesting then, furthermore most guardians of chests and banditcamps are way to easy, even when they don't scale they should have higher levels alltogether, in a game like this were the challenge in Main and sidequest are mediocre at least the chests in the wild should be guarded properly and not by lvl 7 wraith most of the time, there are a few interesting ones like the archgriffin and a 35 basilisk.
Before the game was out I was sure no scaling was the way to go drawing conections to good old gothic too but after playing W3 a lot, it's a game I really love, but esspecially then you are nitpicking and criticize a lot and see a lot of "wasted" potential, you just critize in a higher level... I am not so sure anymore if no scaling is the right way to go and keep it interesting.

I disagree with notion that level scaling is bad....to the contrary it makes the game challenging while giving the freedom to do the quest in the order you see fit. I for example did skellige before novigrad and currently insta killing everything in that city. It's ridiculous why forcing me to do one quest chain if I want to do the other one. Then lock Skellige altogether till novigrad is finished.....so much for open-world

Level scaling can be the answer. Level scaling can get a bad rep at times,especially how bethesda used it. It all depends on how,where,and when it's used. I think the witcher 3 would benifit from it in the right doses. I would also like to radiant quests similar to what skyrim had. Keep the game going longer. What they could do with this and other quests, is set a level range based on your level. Say your level 20 and get a contract...the game then forms a range. Anything from 5 levels below you or up 10-15 levels above you. You could also summon tougher monsters, or increase the number and range of others...within reason. I think something like this would be fine.

This is the only game that I have ever played that shows suggested levels. Dumb hand holding if you ask me. Just get rid of the suggested level crap. :facepalm:

Top Bottom