Your favorite artists?

+
Your favorite artists?

This thread was inspired by some of the artwork used in this thread and some other art conversations I have had during last few days. There are so much cool artwork around the world, but no one can't know it all. Now I would like to see what kind of art do you like and who is the artist behind it. I'm mostly looking for paintings and drawings, but sculptures and other kinds of art is also welcome. If there is some kind of story behind that art and why do you like it, even better. Here comes my favorites!

Glad you like it. In few days in Poland will be premiere of a movie about Beksiński's life- I hope they won't screw it up.
Some of his works were I don't know...disturbing?

Big fan of Beksiński here. Yeah and the movie will be released worldwide too, so it's definitely worth watching, even if you are not familiar with him. His character, family and tragic life was great story in within itself.

Doubt the movie will be bad at all, it's getting great reviews by critics so far.

I also recommend a book - Beksińscy. Portret podwójny.

I have to add few more Theodore Kittelsens. Someone may have seen these ones before in the Burzum albums...

---------- Updated at 11:17 AM ----------

I also had to dig up more Beksinski, these truly are good!

---------- Updated at 11:28 AM ----------

Yeah and the movie will be released worldwide too, so it's definitely worth watching, even if you are not familiar with him. His character, family and tragic life was great story in within itself.

I also recommend a book - Beksińscy. Portret podwójny.

You don't happen to know English names for these? I pretty much doubt that Finnish isn't possibility here...

Sorry guys, I'm just a Moomin who likes Chagall

I don't want to kill the mood, so I also found a nightmare vision for you.. a very academic one though... ;D

Dante and Virgile in Hell by Aldophe William Bouguereau

Virgile Be like :surprise:

The flying demon be like :wazzzup:

Fortunatelly you can always wake up from a Nightmare.

Sorry guys, I'm just a Moomin who likes Chagall

I don't want to kill the mood, so I also found a nightmare vision for you.. a very academic one though... ;D

Red point for flying demon :p

All art is welcome here! Even if I may be a bit disturbed and dark person, someone else might like the color and joy :)

I don't really dare to pick&choose a "favourite" artist in general, would kinda be like picking the best band or a song in my case and that is a very ungrateful undertaking. What I can do though, is share the works of the artists who are piquing my interest for further research, and are satisfying the artgasm glands in this moment:

John Atkinson Grimshaw - Never really went in depth with British artists, but the atmosphere that sir Grimshaw creates in his nighttime paintings, is something else:

you are just expecting for Jack the Ripper to slowly walk out from behind the bend here :' )

Gustave Doré His wood carved scenes of Biblical and Dante Alighieri's Inferno for example are top notch (no pun intended I swear), but his paintings are not trailing behind either:

His wood carvings:

And some of his paintings:

Diego Velázquez Oh boyo. Probably the best Spanish artist in my humble lil opinion, and one of the most important contributors to the portrait studies and techniques. Hismagnum opus, the Las Meninas painting that I will post firstly, is a layered and thoroughly researched topic on its own, along with being a masterpiece.

@mecha_fish thread for you tbh, also while you're at it, critique horse pls, and charge your usual fee:

That is it for now, will probs do some current top dank modern artists I follow, internet is brimming with underrated ones atm :' )

Oh and also, excellent thread idea, props.

Last edited:
Before I ever saw his work I had an... experience that reminds me so much of some of his pieces. This one in particular...
...though it's not the full piece, I'm having trouble getting it.

Well, now that we have started with paintings, I'd like to bring up some other forms of art. This one in particular was just in the newspapers here. Suzanne Proulx collected household dust and dirt 2,5 years and this was the end result:

And while Googling more dust art, I found this guy, Scott Wade!

Scrap metal art looks also pretty cool :)

One of my favorites... http://alexgrey.com/

Oh isn't this a blast from the past... There is something sublime about his pieces, that can make you stare at them, study them, chain-think about stuff that you'd never thought you would think about and reach without any ... help from substances, etcetera.
Spoiler v much related
Do you listen to Tool perhaps?

To keep the post topic related, some Ivan Shishkin, works after he had sold his soul to O'Dimm for painting skills:

Last edited:
Oh isn't this a blast from the past... There is something sublime about his pieces, that can make you stare at them, study them, chain-think about stuff that you'd never thought you would think about and reach without any ... help from substances, etcetera.
Spoiler v much related
Do you listen to Tool perhaps?

I listen to Tool, yes... : )
Some songs that sticks out to me from years ago, back when I first saw some of Alex Gray's work...

Feel free to completely ignore these, I'm mostly reminiscing because I honestly haven't listened to some of these in... years...[video=youtube;leD_6ND7w9g?list=FL5ZTt4DoMaMKe3qmZH6cVMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leD_6ND7w9g?list=FL5ZTt4DoMaMKe3qmZH6cVMQ[/video]

[video=youtube;wQ9pEAABU_I?list=FL5ZTt4DoMaMKe3qmZH6cVMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9pEAABU_I?list=FL5ZTt4DoMaMKe3qmZH6cVMQ[/video]

[video=youtube;kBOaLjtR4mw?list=FL5ZTt4DoMaMKe3qmZH6cVMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBOaLjtR4mw?list=FL5ZTt4DoMaMKe3qmZH6cVMQ[/video]

[video=youtube;ff_PMoAHwHs?list=FL5ZTt4DoMaMKe3qmZH6cVMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_PMoAHwHs?list=FL5ZTt4DoMaMKe3qmZH6cVMQ[/video]

[video=youtube;KnyETI-Ox2U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnyETI-Ox2U[/video]

Those first two looks like photographs!

The last one is just perfect :) A bit sad, beautiful coloring... just... perfect!

Agreed, I love the first two, but that last one... Captivating

Also, to help keep things on topic, I know the man who made this amazing dragon. Unfortunately this picture is of the beast as it's 6 or more years old, so it's weathered a bit.
View attachment 79120

He is an amazing artist though. I wish I had a picture of the painting he did on his own living room wall. A huge picture of the cosmos.... Truly beautiful : )

He is masterful in all forms of art that I know of. I'm honestly jealous of his skills...

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 65
Top Bottom