your favorite fantasy character of all time is...

+
your favorite fantasy character of all time is...

i just finished reading the LEGEND OF DRIZZT trilogy and wow its great. R A Salvatore is my new favorite author. so i am wondering what other great fantasy characters are out there for me to read !!?? my favorite characters include CONAN THE BARBARIAN, GERALT OF RIVIA (obviously) and now DRIZZT DO'URDEN !! so would you mind sharing your favorite characters in the fantasy genre (novels and books only) ?

Well certainly Geralt of Rivia is the reason we are all here! Witchers..Kick ass!

But in terms of an earlier favorite fantasy character, I found Lone Wolf, the protagonist from the "choose your own" adventure novels of the same name from the mid to late 80's to be one of my personal favorites.

Much like a Witcher in some respects, as you were an deadly swordsmen and also master of special skills and magics as you made your way across the realm as the sole survivor of the Kai. In total 20 novels comprised that set, ending with your progression to the top rank of MagnaKai Grand Master.. which I can only assume was the authors' version of "Kicks ass sideways at 360 degrees".

I have also found the fantasy character "Snakes Eyes" from G.I.Joe (the comics and graphic novels version portrayal.. not the cartoon) to be the definition of Bad ass with a side of nachos as well.

Oh, and there is no substitute for Batman...

There you go, my take on a few favorites.

Foamy will rule you when he crushes you with his nuts of squirrely wrath

Sincerely,

Witcher of the House of Scorpion

Conan probably, I grew up reading all the old pulp boys own adventure stories and the Cimmerian of titanic mirths and melancholies stood out as such a striking individual. For some reason he's become unfairly labelled as a moron to people unfamiliar with the books, however Howards Conan was a deviously clever and ambitious fellow. Able to pick up foreign languages within days, charismatic enough to sway men and women to follow him and with an instinctual grasp for the tactics of the battlefield he was born upon.

Just read my signature, when Conan is asked of philosophies, gods and beliefs he squawks no rote article of faith or overly complicated theorem. He cuts to the quick with a fierce intellect, and tosses aside all hokum and supposition.

There are more complicated and nuanced individuals in fantasy literature, but none can stand against the iron will of the fierce Cimmerian and survive.

As I'm reading my way through the translations, Geralt is battling his way to the very top.

In competition, I'd say Silk from the Belgariad by David Eddings. Sarcastic sonovabitch who isn't the typical big, dashing hero archetype.

Drizzt used to be up there - the first six books he was in, particularly the Menzoberranzan trilogy, were brilliant. I feel he's been overplayed somewhat, being in over 20 odd books with god-mode permanently on. However, keeping with the Realms, I'll add Pharaun Mizzrym, another drow who has his sarcasm meter turned up to 11.

Rincewind

Goes to show how well a man can do on cowardice and creative incompetence, and being fleet of foot when all else fails, as it usually does.

Tough. I would say I like several knights from the Arthurian myth, like Balin and Balan, Sir Lamorak and for some reason Sir Palomides (as told by Malory in La Morte D'Arthur).

I like, of course, Volsung and the clan of the Volsungs, though this isn't exactly fantasy ;) (could be a mix of fantasy and history, as most myths).

By the way, I used to like Drizzt when I was around 17 but Salvatore is, honestly, such a BAD writer that I couldn't bear to read any more books past the Dark Elf trilogy.

GuyN said:
Rincewind
Goes to show how well a man can do on cowardice and creative incompetence, and being fleet of foot when all else fails, as it usually does.
Rincewind? Seriously, RINCEWIND? Pratchett gave us Sam Vimes, Granny Weatherwax, the Librarian, Nanny Ogg, and Captain Carrot, and the one you like is RINCEWIND?

*mind boggles*

*faints*

Adonai- said:
Colour of Magic was my first Pterry book, and I can totally empathise with running away from danger ;)

In lieu of that, I'll give you Death. He likes cats
Death! How could I have left him off of my list? Yes, Death is a wonderful character. I like his granddaughter, too. :D

Beowulf. Fighting Grendel naked takes balls, especially when they're unprotected. Geralt ranks high as well.

I don't have a single favorite. I have favorites in different franchises, though.

1) Geralt and Triss tie for first in the Witcher saga and games.
2) Brienne is my favorite from A Song of Ice and Fire. (with Sam and Arya tied for second)
3) Puddleglum is awesome in the Chronicles of Narnia.

and so on...but yeah, no single favorite.

Don't know really. There are several fictional characters I like, including Geralt, but if I had to choose one, I would say Ferm

Corylea said:
I haven't read that, but you make it sound quite compelling. Thanks for the reading tip!

Well truth be told, it was Fermin's magnificent portrayal that kept me hooked up in the book. Not sure if I would have really bothered with it otherwise. But it's purely subjective, and you might enjoy the plot much more than I did. Though I'm certain you'll love Fermin.

There are so many fantasy characters I enjoyed reading.

Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher - A modern day wizard living in Chicago. He's even listed in the yellow pages! He helps the police in "special" investigations (translation: supernatural bad$hit the regular police can't handle). Accidently starts a war between wizards and red court vampires *oops* and a lot more fun!

Nicolas D Wolfwood from Trigun manga series (not the anime) by Yasuhiro Nightow - Assassin, preacher, a little devilish but with a heart of gold and more lives than 10 cats. His loyalties are constantly torn between his friendship with his goody-goody friend Vash, his obligations to his brotherhood of assassins and the people he loves from his childhood.

Joe the Barbarian and Marge the Fairy - Both main characters from Dancing Gods series by Jack L Chalker - A truck driver and waitress gets drafted to help a wizard fight evil in another dimension, Its really interesting to see how their everyday working class backgrounds helps and hurts them cope in a fantasy world and how their lives evolves and drastic changes across the series.

Corylea said:
Rincewind? Seriously, RINCEWIND? Pratchett gave us Sam Vimes, Granny Weatherwax, the Librarian, Nanny Ogg, and Captain Carrot, and the one you like is RINCEWIND?

*mind boggles*

*faints*

My reasoning is that Rincewind is a fool who is a hero by accident, if at all. By the terms of the question, I am limited to fantasy; I can't name, say, Don Quixote or Maxwell Smart. But the quality of being a hero who is in every way unheroic is to me a very important one.

Top Bottom