Your Favorite Gwent Card Set, Cards & Strategy

+
Well, you've also wasted your only frost (it's unlikely that you'll have 2), and it's very hard to beat monsters without it. Also, if you played your 9pt spy, it might very well be the one that stays on the board.

Huh? If it stays on the board you don't get 2 cards. It just stays on your side. And yes you have muster but the point is I have 1-2 more cards than you. You can never risk passing in that second round. So I continue to play my lower level cards till you have none left. I win the last round and the game. Who cares if you won the second round by 120-50.

That's why the monster deck is not that good. I don't think I've ever lost to any of the AI gwent players that used the monster deck. As long as I have at least 1 spy and 1 frost (don't need a second one and in fact don't want it) card I'm guaranteed to win.

Here's the bottom line:
1) I'll win the round where I play frost.
2) I have more cards in my deck as long as I get 1 spy more than the monster deck.

These two items guarantee a win.

Huh? If it stays on the board you don't get 2 cards. It just stays on your side.
What I mean is that it contributes to your point total again. It is as if you drew an extra card and played it. And if it's a 7 or 9 spy, it'll also protect your spams from scorch and the dragon.

1) I'll win the round where I play frost.
2) I have more cards in my deck as long as I get 1 spy more than the monster deck.
1) Not if I have clear weather (which I likely will if I choose monsters)
2) More cards doesn't necessarily mean more points. Point-wise, musters are more powerful, especially since they can be easily rallied.

Well let's see. I'll even go first using a NR deck.

I play a 5 point close combat spy card. I draw two cards and have 11 in my deck.

What do you do?

I must admit that I don't usually play card games, but Gwent is awesome. I know it's been stated before but I would LOVE a standalone Gwent game AND also a physical version, that would be awesome.

Well let's see. I'll even go first using a NR deck.

I play a 5 point close combat spy card. I draw two cards and have 11 in my deck.

What do you do?
Ok, you seem to agree that NG with its heavy spies is not great against monsters:)
Still though, what decks and what draw luck are we assuming? Monsters are good against a spy/decoy deck, which everybody says is 'the ultimate deck', but less so against a deck that was designed specifically to beat monsters. If you use a decoy deck, note that you'll likely have 2 decoys among your cards, almost surely at least 1. And don't take getting all 3 spies for granted - statistically, you are most likely to get 2, not 3. If we assume Avallach, then monsters will also have it. I think you'll have a good chance of getting 3 spies in this case, but still not 4. That means you'll draw 16 cards from your 26-27 deck, so even drawing frost is not a given, and getting any of the combo sets (catapulats/reavers/commandos) is very luck-based.

Ok, you seem to agree that NG with its heavy spies is not great against monsters:)
Still though, what decks and what draw luck are we assuming? Monsters are good against a spy/decoy deck, which everybody says is 'the ultimate deck', but less so against a deck that was designed specifically to beat monsters. If you use a decoy deck, note that you'll likely have 2 decoys among your cards, almost surely at least 1. And don't take getting all 3 spies for granted - statistically, you are most likely to get 2, not 3. If we assume Avallach, then monsters will also have it. I think you'll have a good chance of getting 3 spies in this case, but still not 4. That means you'll draw 16 cards from your 26-27 deck, so even drawing frost is not a given, and getting any of the combo sets (catapulats/reavers/commandos) is very luck-based.

Noticed you just ignored what monster card you will play. I'll even just go with two spy cards that are NR.

So it's your turn do you play a muster card, pass or some other card?

Noticed you just ignored what monster card you will play. I'll even just go with two spy cards that are NR.

So it's your turn do you play a muster card, pass or some other card?
How about decoys then? Do you have them? And which Foltest do you use?
Since as you said you intend to still win the round even after dropping the spies, I might as well drop a 10 hero.

... if you want to play theory gwent you should fully specify the decks, opening hands... and even the order of the remaining cards actually. And can the monster player just pick which unit stays on the board?

Last edited:
Northern Realm with Siege Foltest all the Way !!!

Best Special Card is Decoy and the best Unit Card is Villentretenmerth by far

My best Score with that Deck was 202 so far:

How about decoys then? Do you have them? And which Foltest do you use?
Since as you said you intend to still win the round even after dropping the spies, I might as well drop a 10 hero.

I would have 2 spies, one decoy, one frost and get an additional horn with the spies. Rest are point cards. NR deck Foltest is double siege.

I now play my second spy card. a 4 point close combat I now have 12 cards in my deck. You have 9 points in close combat plus 10 for your hero (which one?). You have 9 cards and it's your turn.

Ok, after playing some more I think the Monster deck might be the most powerful of all, and it's damn satisfying to pick one card and get like 4 more of that kind from your deck and then combined with the Commander's Horn...

But as of now Nilfgaard remains my favorite deck.

By the way, is it just me or are Gwent opponents in Skellige considerable harder to beat than the ones in Velen (not the quests, just the merchants and innkeepers)? I've found myself having an unexpected hard time defeating most of them so far.

Last edited:
Ok, after playing some more I think the Monster deck might be the most powerful of all, and it's damn satisfying to pick one card and get like 4 more of that kind from your deck and then combined with the Commander's Horn...

But as of now Nilfgaard remains my favorite deck.

By the way, is it just me or are Gwent opponents in Skellige considerable harder to beat than the ones in Velen (not the quests, just the merchants and innkeepers)? I've found myself having an unexpected hard time defeating most of them so far.

I can't disagree more. There's just so many easy ways to combat the strength of the monster deck. One biting frost card and the monster deck goes from 100 points down to like 16 in a blink of an eye.

Pretty sure most people play only Nilfgaard cards, unless some of you installed the enhanced gwent mods so it really comes down to playstyle since in the mod the monsters and the Scoi'atel are buffed up.

Kinda hard to answer that cause it depends on what cards you have. Late in the game when you have most (or all) of the cards I like to use monsters. You can get up to 200 in a round if you play your cards right. If you combine that with a decoy card so you can make sure the other player use a few good cards it shouldnt be a big problem to win the last two rounds.

I can't disagree more. There's just so many easy ways to combat the strength of the monster deck. One biting frost card and the monster deck goes from 100 points down to like 16 in a blink of an eye.

Using scorch and Villentretenemth against the monster deck is damn satisfying as well. But the monster deck is arguably capable of achieving the highest score, should the opponent not have any means to weaken it he's pretty much done.

Here's the problem with the monster deck. A 200 -10 win is no different than a 11-10 win. It only counts as one round. And once those muster cards are gone the monster deck doesn't have much else going for it.

Monster deck has possibly highest output but based on brunt numeric force. Also has crushing weaknesses.

Northern realm. My favorite strategy is having lots of spies in order to get units with tight bond and use horn of valor. Blue stripes commando, Dragon-Hunter and Catapults with tight bond are my bread and butter.

Top Bottom