Your Favorite Gwent Card Set, Cards & Strategy

+
Nilfgardian empire.
I use spies, docoys and scorch.

I allways start out using spies. If the other play use decoys and pickup my spies and then use them I use my decoys.
When all the spies are gone I fold. Sometimes I win, but thats not really important cause the spies gave me a lot of extra cards.
Sometimes I use scorch to kill a spy I just used just so I can use my special move and pick one card from the other players discard pile.
That way I can use that same spy one more time.

The two last rounds are usually not hard at all and I allways end up with a lot of cards that I never even had to use.

I use spies, docoys and scorch.
I always start out using spies. If the other play use decoys and pickup my spies and then use them I use my decoys.

yehh the same strategy I use too but with NR as with NE if you don't have clear weather & AI use proper weather card then its a loss but with NR & Clear weather foltest its not possible & I can use 2 Frost cards which I am using at 1st round so my strategy is...

Spy cards... If I got Spy from AI then Decoy & again Spy with this most of the time AI is passing due to good points in his 1st row so you only have to use 1 frost & then any hero card & most of the times 10 or 15 hero card is enough to win easy round.

In 2nd round again I am playing Remaining hero cards & Unwanted cards by keeping Horn & Tight bond & Medic cards once I am done I am passing the round & Then at last tight bond cards with horn + medic going to bring my preiosly played cards too so its a easy victory for me :)

With NR proper deck my victory rate is 99% against any AI

---------- Updated at 12:24 PM ----------

My Full NR Deck

Clear weather Foltest

10 Special Cards - 2 Frost, 2 Horn, 3 Scorch, 3 Decoy

Hero Cards - All Except Triss as 7 Points without any special power makes her less useful for me at least & to draw more powerful hero cards I have to keep her aside :(

Normal Cards - All Siege [ Including Dun Banner Medic & Spy Thaler ], Range Reavers Dragon Hunter x 3 only, Melee Blue Stripes Commando x 3, Villentretenmerth, Dendelion & Spy Cards

Last edited:
Favourite deck: Northern
Strategy: Sometimes you just end up being dealt a lousy hand and your opponent gets several great hands in a row. If you're not being completely decimated, keep replaying 3, 4 or 5 times until you win that special card.
Keep tweaking your decks and remember to revisit that player that utterly crushed you before, you never know, you may be up to his or her level with new cards and could turn the tables.

Favourite dec: Nilfgaard (because of all the spies, you get so many by the end you are just unbeatable)

Favourite card: Mysterious Elf, best spy, they can't grave him with the decoy, redraw him and it does not give them points.

Strategies, fighting against mosters or scoia'tael I used a lot of weather cards, Scorch or Three Jackdaws to get rid of as many enemy cards as possible. Against Nilfgaard or the Northern Realms, I replaced weather cards for as many boosts for my cards as I could get (Dandelion's card or the other Horn cards for example). But what never failed were the spy cards, they are essential :wazzzup:

Favourite dec: Nilfgaard (because of all the spies, you get so many by the end you are just unbeatable)

I seriously don't know why most people talking about NG deck are boasting about its spy cards ?? as I know NR & NG both have same number of spy cards which is 4 but NR spy cards are having much less points then NG spy cards so how NG benefits you in spy ?

Yes If you like NG due to Medic cards then I can understand as NG is having many of them but I still love NR due to the fact that if you have weather, scorch, hero cards then sometimes you don't have enough cards to revive with medic even if you have 3/4 medics in hand which makes them useless as points on NG medic is very low except those 2 hero medic cards.

& If you are using those 2 hero medic cards of NG only then NR is also having 2 medic one is normal & 1 is hero so you can take back your normal medic card with Decoy.

I seriously don't know why most people talking about NG deck are boasting about its spy cards ?? as I know NR & NG both have same number of spy cards which is 4 but NR spy cards are having much less points then NG spy cards so how NG benefits you in spy ?

Yes If you like NG due to Medic cards then I can understand as NG is having many of them but I still love NR due to the fact that if you have weather, scorch, hero cards then sometimes you don't have enough cards to revive with medic even if you have 3/4 medics in hand which makes them useless as points on NG medic is very low except those 2 hero medic cards.

& If you are using those 2 hero medic cards of NG only then NR is also having 2 medic one is normal & 1 is hero so you can take back your normal medic card with Decoy.

Sure, you might be right. But I don't remmember having all the spies in the NR deck, maybe I didn't (I would go check but my save file disappeared, so I'm not paying attention to Gwent on my current playthrough). In any case, by the ending it doesn't really matter, you are well overpowered. As far as the beggining I played as NR and used the Foltest card that boosted my siege cards, it was very effective. Monsters and Scoia'tel seem great at first, but ones my curiousity was satisfied I never used them again

NR and NG have the same amount of spies, however, the NG deck has A LOT more medics, which can be used to revive fallen enemy spies, essentially allowing you to outdraw your NR opponent. I learnt this in my matches against Madame Sasha during the Gwent tournament. :)

Also, the right weather card can nullify the attack values of any spy card. It's useful to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Yes @Tangsta and there is a Leader Card, the last one that has the ability to draw a card from your opponent's discard pile, meaning yet another spy you can re-draw :surprise:

LSAT (Cringe). Not nearly as bad as the bar exam ...but an awful day none the less. I hope it went well for you. Good advice on Gwent. Most of the points I wanted to make have now been covered. Thus, you shall receive redpoints.

Haha I haven't been on the forums for a bit and just saw your post. Actually taking it Oct. 3, but appreciate the well-wishes nonetheless! Certainly dreading it, but definitely also feel prepared at this point lol Thanks for the redpoints and glad my pointers have been accurate and useful.

Haha I haven't been on the forums for a bit and just saw your post. Actually taking it Oct. 3, but appreciate the well-wishes nonetheless! Certainly dreading it, but definitely also feel prepared at this point lol Thanks for the redpoints and glad my pointers have been accurate and useful.

The best tip I can give you is to take a lot of practice tests in their entirety under timed conditions (which sucks because each test takes like 3 hours or so IIRC). But taking the LSAT is as much about mental speed and endurance as it is about knowing the logic reasoning and such. If you only practice 35 minutes at a time, you're not really preparing your mind for what it will feel like half way through the test. Of course it could have changed a lot since 2007, but that's how I remember it. Best of luck!

Favourite deck: Northern realms, because you seemed to get good cards for it quicker and it always stayed just a few cards better than the others.
Strategy: Is there more than one?

- Most critical cards to manage are the eye cards which let you draw 2 extra cards. Before you throw or lose any rounds, make sure your opponent has used one on you that you can res next round. Luckily NPC AI is agressive about using them.. and so should you (adding to the opponent score early in the round is better than later).
- Convince the npc to throw the first round quickly using commanders horns and hero cards.
- Keep playing the second round, if you can take it, do it, but be sure to be prepared to lose the second round if its looking bad. In this case, use up any lesser cards (or cars that are in the odd row etc) to force your opponent to just keep using up their cards. Get them to as few cards remaining while you still have the smallest strong hand.
- If you have a res and an eye card to get more cards in the 3rd round you should be sorted.
- Save hero cards when you want to/need to win, especially against a monsters opponent who seems to be scorch heavy.
- Save your own scorches until the opportune moment.
- Commanders horn is the bread and butter card, i have 3 of them.. which is only excessive when you actually draw 3).

I've completed the high stakes gwent quest (defeating all the opponents). I think the only flaw in the whole experience was that your opponent does almost certainly pass on the first round if you scare them enough. This is a strong strategy against opponents who have a good deck, but for average opponents it makes it unfun, feels like they didn't even try, and you beat them by using hardly any cards.

Not a big fan of Gwent to be quite honest. I much preferred the dice games in earlier games. I like the tactical aspect, but the problem is you can just brute force overwhelm your opposition, with medics and spy cards, and faction abilities are almost laughably imbalanced. I also think the AI is cheating. Especially Sasha, she seems to conjure spy cards out of thin air.

/rantover

Top Bottom