Your Favorite Gwent Card Set, Cards & Strategy

+
OK so that means your deck had 3 fog cards, 3 horns for a deck of 28. You have a crone and vampire muster card still in your hand.
Just 2 fogs actually; enough to give a solid 68% chance of getting one

In my initial 10 I had none. Most likely I would have pulled one from the spy cards I used.
I wouldn't call 43% "most likely". It's actually 'less likely'. That's for a scorch. For an extra decoy or frost it's just 31%. In fact, with your somewhat bloated deck even >1 reavers is now down to 45%, and the dragon to 47% (twin catapults, same as twin medics is 21% - definitely off the table), and everything below 50% I consider debatable.

Since you played a weather card I now play a 10 point hero card. Either Roche or Phillipa. Doesn't matter really so let's say Roche for argument's sake

So let's recap: You have 6 cards left. On the close combat row you have (1 - 4 point spy, 1 - 5 point spy, 1 - 10 point Draug hero, 3 - 4 point arachas) 1 horn. Total close combat is 52 points.
You also have 1 - 6 point arachas on siege row. Grand total points = 58 Do you agree with this summary?

I have 1 -10 point hero card on close combat row for 10 points.
I have on the range row 1 - 5 point reaver and 1 - 6 point card. There is rain so my point total is just 2 for the row, and 12 points grand total. I have 9 cards left.
I pass.

Just 2 fogs actually; enough to give a solid 68% chance of getting one
How do you get 68% chance??? If you have 22 cards 2 fog and 3 horn there is no way it's 68% to pull one fog AND one horn?

I wouldn't call 43% "most likely". It's actually 'less likely'. That's for a scorch. For an extra decoy or frost it's just 31%. In fact, with your somewhat bloated deck even >1 reavers is now down to 45%, and the dragon to 47% (twin catapults, same as twin medics is 21% - definitely off the table), and everything below 50% I consider debatable.

I pass.

Wait a sec. Your numbers are off. My total deck is 22 base plus 12 special (3 frost, 3 decoy, 3 horn and 3 scorch) for a total of 34 cards. I pull 10 have 2 changes then get 4 more on spy cards for 16 cards or half the deck. And you are saying I don't have a frost and one more frost or scorch? Remember you already ruled that my other two spy cards, and 2 reavers weren't picked. It is indeed very likely that I have 1 of each of the specials. Please show the math where I only have a 43% chance to have a frost/scorch or frost/frost.

You have a 22 deck plus 5 specials (3 horn, 2 fog) and were able to get a horn and fog. Not to mention I already gave you the unlikely situation of getting a vampire, crone and anarachs card without having a duplicate in your hand. That is one pretty lucky pull but I wasn't complaining. My overall deck isn't that bloated at 32 since you have 28 cards yourself.

I play a frost card which means your point total is now (6 siege, 10 hero, 10 close combat which are 5 cards plus horn plus frost) 26. I play a 8 point siege and then Foltest on the siege row. I now have (10 hero, 2 points range which are 2 cards and fog and 16 siege 8 point with horn) 28 points.

I win the round 28 -26.

You have 6 cards in your hand and I have 8. I had 9 played 2 plus Foltest and got one for NR faction. BTW my odds of getting another reaver or that scorch that I might not have had has increased.

It is your turn to start round two. What was the power of your leader?

Your discard pile has 1 - 4 point close combat spy, 1 - 5 point close combat spy, 1 - 6 point siege and 2 - 4 point close combat cards not including the hero, horn and fog card that you played.
My discard pile has 1 - 5 point range reaver, 1 - 6 point range and 1 - 8 point siege reaver card not including the frost and hero card I played.

EDIT: I want to add one more point. Even if getting card A is only 35% and if getting card B is only 35% that means I should probably get one of them but not both. So when you start totaling up that I can't get this that and the other I do have to get something.

Last edited:
Nilfgaardian deck, decoys, ressurection cards and +2 cards. Tactic: get as much cards as possible, annoy the enemy and swarm.

And it's amazing how many players do that and STILL lose to the monsters

No way at least I never lose against monster only same NE deck gives me trouble some times. [ I am talking about online game ]

---------- Updated at 05:46 AM ----------

Why no1 sharing there online Gwent usernames ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3c4tfq/gwentonlinecom_a_standalone_multiplayer_version/

Gwent-online is down!

We are so sorry guys. But we have to cut here.
We are not allowed to host gwent-online and we are forced to take it down.

All I have left to say is:
You guys are awesome! There was so much feedback, critics and commitment. It was only for a weekend, but we are quite happy. We have never expected so much activity. At peak times there were 500+ people online. Crazy!
Thanks to everyone! We read every post and wrote each issue down but we are done now.

Thanks, CDPR. You are the true shiny white knights of gaming! :wallbash:

@Marcin Momot
You don't have any own solution so far outside of the game itself IIRC. There is no official MP version of Gwent available. So why not letting something that your fans enjoy and that had no financial interest whatsover alive until you come up with something on your own aka your own browser version? You only hurt your biggest fans with decisions like that. I don't get it...

@Marcin Momot
You don't have any own solution so far outside of the game itself IIRC. There is no official MP version of Gwent available. So why not letting something that your fans enjoy and that had no financial interest whatsover alive until you come up with something on your own aka your own browser version? You only hurt your biggest fans with decisions like that. I don't get it...

My thoughts exactly. Gwent is cool. Online Gwent with human opponents is super cool. So why spoil the fun if there is no official alternative right now, and nobody makes undue profit of it? Taking down online gwent: not cool.

And it's amazing how many players do that and STILL lose to the monsters. Hehe.

My game right here will show and prove that monsters will lose to a NR deck. The only way a monster deck can beat a NR deck is if the monsters get a perfect draw while the NR deck gets the worst possible draw.

How do you get 68% chance??? If you have 22 cards 2 fog and 3 horn there is no way it's 68% to pull one fog AND one horn?
68% for a fog only. I can reply something like fine I can add another fog to my deck as it won't change much, but instead let's turn the tables a little. If you insist on getting combined probabilities, note that now as you've pulled 15 cards, you get an honest, even if hardly 'guaranteed', 50% of getting the dragon. However, you must multiply it by the chance of having at least one decoy (89%) and at least one medic (76%). That's already just 34% - and your post-frost anti-monsters strategy relies on decoying and res'ing the dragon. Here's the kicker though - with a 34 cards deck, your chances of getting 2 spies are just 36%. I'm assuming neither of us has Avallachs here, since even though it'll give you (still unreliable) 55% chance of getting 2+ spies, I'll have a reasonable chance of getting it as well. Sure, monsters risk drawing musters with spies, but it's greatly reduced if a couple of musters are already used up.

Wait a sec. Your numbers are off. My total deck is 22 base plus 12 special (3 frost, 3 decoy, 3 horn and 3 scorch) for a total of 34 cards. I pull 10 have 2 changes then get 4 more on spy cards for 16 cards or half the deck. And you are saying I don't have a frost and one more frost or scorch? Remember you already ruled that my other two spy cards, and 2 reavers weren't picked. It is indeed very likely that I have 1 of each of the specials. Please show the math where I only have a 43% chance to have a frost/scorch or frost/frost.

Well your starting hand had 10 cards with no scorches (not sure why you chose it to be this way). Now that you've pulled 4+1 more, you chances of getting at least one scorch went up to 47%. Better, but still not 'most likely'. They are quite a bit lower for another frost or decoy. As for the reavers, I actually expected you to have a pair, that's why I took the fogs.
I compute chances like this. If you have a remaining deck of N cards, M of which are the ones you need, your chances of not getting it after C pulls are p0 = (N-M)/N * (N-M-1)/(N-1) ... (N-M-(C-1))/(N-(C-1)). Correspondingly, your chances of getting at least 1 are 1-p0. Your chances of getting exactly one in C pulls are a bit trickier. You'd have to sum the probabilities of getting at an i[SUP][SUB]th[/SUB][/SUP] draw, multiplied by chances of not getting it before and after (I can post a code fragment if you like). This p1 can be used to get the chances of having more than one such card as 1-p0-p1.

You have a 22 deck plus 5 specials (3 horn, 2 fog) and were able to get a horn and fog. Not to mention I already gave you the unlikely situation of getting a vampire, crone and anarachs card without having a duplicate in your hand. That is one pretty lucky pull but I wasn't complaining.
That's not so lucky actually. I played quite a few monsters games, and very rarely I wasn't able to correct the initial set with 2 re-draws.

I play a frost card which means your point total is now (6 siege, 10 hero, 10 close combat which are 5 cards plus horn plus frost) 26. I play a 8 point siege and then Foltest on the siege row. I now have (10 hero, 2 points range which are 2 cards and fog and 16 siege 8 point with horn) 28 points.

I win the round 28 -26.

You have 6 cards in your hand and I have 8. I had 9 played 2 plus Foltest and got one for NR faction. BTW my odds of getting another reaver or that scorch that I might not have had has increased.

It is your turn to start round two.

I'm pretty sure the player who won a round starts the next one, actually. Just checked it in game.

What was the power of your leader?
Why, the one that lets me play one of my discarded cards, of course.

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3c4tfq/gwentonlinecom_a_standalone_multiplayer_version/

Thanks, CDPR. You are the true shiny white knights of gaming! :wallbash:

@Marcin Momot

While true we don't know what they have planed. Maybe a real gwent game where you can pick your special cards, neutrals and limit your base to 22 cards.

---------- Updated at 01:08 PM ----------

Fine. Since my whole point is that a best played monster will still lose to an average luck NR deck I'll stipulate this.

1) I do not have the third reaver card for either the close or range sets.
2) I do not have the second siege reaver card.
3) I only received 2 out of 4 possible spy cards.
4) I only received 1 out of 2 medic cards.

What I still do have in my hand is 8 cards with a horn, decoy and a scorch. I have no clue why you claim I can't have a scorch card. There are 4 possible scorch cards in my deck. But I will give you the option of picking.

5) You decide if I have a scorch or another weather card.

Think about this for a second. My entire deck had 34 cards in it. 22 base and 12 special cards. I get 10 cards plus can discard 2 of them for other cards. I get 4 new cards for my 2 spies and 1 for winning round one. Now we have said that out of my base 22 cards I would not receive 6 of them (3 reavers, 2 spies and a medic). That means for real calculations I am not working on a 22 base deck but a 16 base deck. So it is indeed highly likely that I do in fact have a scorch card, or that second frost card. 2 cards from 7 possible in a deck of 28 (remember I can't pull those other prohibited cards). You yourself have said that you almost always get a horn/fog (2 cards) from just 5 possible cards in a deck of 27. So if that is likely then it is likely for me to have my scorch.

I'm pretty sure the player who won a round starts the next one, actually. Just checked it in game.
And I just ran a game where I went first won the round and the AI had to go first.

Why, the one that lets me play one of my discarded cards, of course.

OK so it will most likely be a 4 point close combat (66.66%) chance. Waiting for your next card.

Last edited:
While true we don't know what they have planed. Maybe a real gwent game where you can pick your special cards, neutrals and limit your base to 22 cards.

Thing is: The fractions are way better balanced with the full decks. Limitation to 22 unit cards only favors Nilfgaard and Northern Kingdoms and breaks the game.

1) I do not have the third reaver card for either the close or range sets.
2) I do not have the second siege reaver card.
3) I only received 2 out of 4 possible spy cards.
4) I only received 1 out of 2 medic cards.
1) the chances of that are super-low, so it goes without saying
2) I assume you mean catapults. That's also just 20%
3) Ok, so if there are 4 spies, I may or may not have Avallach
4) Also the most probable situation

What I still do have in my hand is 8 cards with a horn, decoy and a scorch. I have no clue why you claim I can't have a scorch card. There are 4 possible scorch cards in my deck. But I will give you the option of picking.

5) You decide if I have a scorch or another weather card.
Well, you explicitly said what your 10 starting cards were. Not sure why you chose not to include a scorch, but you did, and I asked about it twice to confirm. Do you take it back? Your chances of getting one in 5 more pulls are only 47%.
4 scorches - do you mean 3 real scorches and the dragon?

And I just ran a game where I went first won the round and the AI had to go first.
Was it witcher.exe, or something like gwent online? If the former, then I just don't believe you. I verified and confirmed my assumption again, and I had it during the entire game, and never had it any other way. Theoretically it might be random, but during the first round, when it's random for sure, it does show a coin flip, but not for the following rounds.

OK so it will most likely be a 4 point close combat (66.66%) chance. Waiting for your next card.
It allows me to select it actually, and don't forget I also have 2 of your spies there.

Thing is: The fractions are way better balanced with the full decks. Limitation to 22 unit cards only favors Nilfgaard and Northern Kingdoms and breaks the game.

Or that can be reworded like:

Playing with a full deck is broken and greatly favors monster decks.

Besides the 22 deck was how they designed the game to be played.

---------- Updated at 01:51 PM ----------

Well, you explicitly said what your 10 starting cards were. Not sure why you chose not to include a scorch, but you did, and I asked about it twice to confirm. Do you take it back? Your chances of getting one in 5 more pulls are only 47%.
4 scorches - do you mean 3 real scorches and the dragon?
Yes there are 3 scorches and the dragon scorch. I originally said that it wasn't in my 10 initial because I got a horn/decoy and frost there. That means I have a higher chance of getting a scorch in the 5 additional cards then if I said I had to pull a decoy.

It allows me to select it actually, and don't forget I also have 2 of your spies there.
Yea so? The card you pick is played on your field. For the spy effect to work means it must be played on my field. I've seen multiple games where playing against a monster deck it passed after I played the spy cards. It picked them but never got more cards. They simply just appear as a point card on their field.

So what are you picking? And as I said I played a game in the game itself and I won a round and the AI had to go first.

Yes there are 3 scorches and the dragon scorch. I originally said that it wasn't in my 10 initial because I got a horn/decoy and frost there. That means I have a higher chance of getting a scorch in the 5 additional cards then if I said I had to pull a decoy.
Yes and this higher chance is just 47%

Yea so? The card you pick is played on your field. For the spy effect to work means it must be played on my field. I've seen multiple games where playing against a monster deck it passed after I played the spy cards. It picked them but never got more cards. They simply just appear as a point card on their field.
I pick a card from my discarded pile, and it goes to my hand. If it's a spy, means I get a legitimate spy, and when I play it (which is not immediately, mind it, so I get extra 'wait' turn as well), it acts as a spy, meaning it goes to your field and gives me 2 cards.

So what are you picking? And as I said I played a game in the game itself and I won a round and the AI had to go first.
And as I said, I don't believe you. I'm sure the winner starts the next round.

Yes and this higher chance is just 47%

See your math is wrong. Remember you have already stated that I have zero chance to get the 3rd reavers, the other 2 spies, the second medic, the second siege reaver. I get 5 new cards. In my hand I have 10 cards of which 3 are special. That means I have 7 from the base deck. 22 - 7 means there are 15 cards in the base deck plus 9 special that I didn't get. Now you MUST exclude the cards you said I can't get. So from that 15 you exclude 6 more. That means I'm actually pulling 5 cards from a "possible" deck that has 9 base and 9 special. There are 3 scorch and 1 dragon card. So are you really saying that my odds of pulling a scorch in 5 attempts with 4 possible cars in a deck of 18 is 48%.

The math says that the probability is 4/18 + 4/17 + 4/16 + 4/15 + 4/14 or 125% which is a guaranteed result. Heck your 48% is wrong even if I didn't exclude the 6 cards that you said I can't get. In that case I have 4 possible cards with 5 chances. in a deck of 24 cards. That math is 4/24 + 4/23 + 4/22 + 4/21 + 4/20 which totals out to 73.28%. So your math is wrong.

EDIT: I have a solid 68% even without the dragon. 3/24 + 3/23 + 3/22 + 3/21 + 3/20 = 68%

The other confusion is your leader vs. ability. I'm saying that your ability has a 66% chance of a 4 point close combat staying on the field. You haven't used the ability yet.

But to prove my overall point I'll go first again and play a 10 point hero card. I have 7 cards in my hand and you have 6. Your turn.

Last edited:
Playing with a full deck is broken and greatly favors monster decks.
It doesn't. With a full deck it's possible to beat Nilfgaard/NK with the Monsters, but if the hands are against you (opponent with more than 2 spies, you with no spy and no decoy at all) you still don't stand a chance.
Besides the 22 deck was how they designed the game to be played.
How do you know?

The math says that the probability is 4/18 + 4/17 + 4/16 + 4/15 + 4/14 or 125% which is a guaranteed result.

...are you... did you think about this for even a split second?
So you want to tell me that you think it's impossible to not draw (at least) one of those 4 cards out of (initially) 18 with 5 attempts? Really?
Meaning one cannot possibly arrange the remaining cards in an order, where one of those 4 desired cards is not among the first 5?
Well since the abstract approach apparently failed, let's try the primary school version...
You have 4 blue balls and 14 red balls, can you arrange the balls in an order, such that not a single blue ball is among the first 5?

Last edited:
Top Bottom