Your favorite Witcher moments - Contest

+
It was my first time playing the Witcher and I was still quite a noob at the game (I was more focused on collecting sex cards and leveling up my combat, rather then my potions and signs) so when it came to the Zeugl boss I was absolutely annihilated. Probably after my fiftieth attempt I decided that anything would make the difference, so before the battle I started to search for anything. Eventually I found grapes and cheese, and believe it or not, that health made the difference between life and death, enabling me to kill that ugly son of a bitch.

The Witcher 1 got me with the intro, I could not wait to play the game and venture into this vast, complex fantasy world. I loved the scenery of the game, the artworks, and the loading screen arts. Seriously, these artworks got the mood of the world so well and together with the superb soundtrack, the whole game was a journey I will never forget. Geralt rushing through the swamp killing all sorts of creatures; I loved it. I thought yes, this is a true witcher knee deep in dirt, blood and all kinds of nasty stuff. Yet there was still room for fun, laughter and romance too. Shani's old granny cracked me up every time, as well as Dandelion and his speeches. The choices and the epic conclusion blew me away and made me replay the game twice after the first playthrough (not to mention the other playthroughs for clear game saves for the witcher 2). I thought this can't be better, so I started to read the books, which were awesome. But I wanted more interactive adventures with Geralt, I wanted to know what will happen next after the attempted assassination of Foltest.

Then came The Witcher 2. I never even hesitated to buy the Collector's Edition, since I did not get the chance to get the same for the first game. I anxiously waited for the launch party here in Budapest, and made a friend during the competition that led to the launch party invitation (we both went 1 day earlier to one part of the competition and had a good laugh about it). I got myself a signed book on the launch party (yay!), and got my Collector's Edition the following day. Even though I could not play the game for a whole month, because I had to get a new PC, I eagerly waited for the day, and this was the first thing I installed on my new rig. Once again I was swept away by the details, the living, breathing world, the great cut-scenes, and the story. I loved the fact that you expanded the relationship between Triss and Geralt but if I wanted I could focus on Yennefer as well. I had even harder choices sometime, and emotional moments like Cedric's death, the bath scene, or seeing Triss beaten up. I loved the buddy moments with Geralt's friends, Zoltan, Dandelion, Yarpen, drinking and talking about the past. Saskia as a dragon left me awestruck, meeting the pair of trolls had me giggle and laugh many times. Lesbomancy, kinky plays of soreceresses, my first triumph over the kayran, Elthon, the tons of references to the books, etc.; these all amde the game a real journey, an adventure. My list is endless as I enjoyed critical plot moments with the same fascination as I enjoyed the tranquility of the forest.

The Witcher games were not just about 'moments', they are whole experiences that I still recommend for all my friends that have yet to play this. And I thank you CDRP for making these great games. Happy 6th birthday to you, from Hungary!

I thing that sticks out to me, is choosing between Triss and Shani in the first game (and well sad that Shani was not in the second one)But in general the key moment decisions in both games are very hard.

I'll never forget looking at the camp in act 2 from a distance. The way the tents billowed in the wind. Seriously one of the best looking games I've played to date. I'll also never forget being told by people in town that my "mother sucks dwarf cocks". A standout insult that's for sure.

I reviewed about one third of the comments thus far and I noticed my favourite missing. My favourite Witcher game is the first and by far the best fantasy RPG I have played. Witcher 2 is great but needs the conclusion that was not missing from Witcher 1. To quote a famous British Playwrite; "Youth is wasted on the young," is the reason TW1 has so much impact. Personally, there are far fewer days ahead of me then behind me and this game gets you thinking of choices that have been made in life. What if I married her instead of my wife of almost 50 years? Why did I ever have children? etc Geralt is given "the second chance." Will he make similiar choices? Will his morality change? Will he look upon his second corporal life as an opportunity or burden? After all didn't he end up with his "true love," on the fairytale island the first time!?

Back to the game; Chapter four is gut-wrenching! The multiple discussions with the old hermit, the elves, Berengar, and especially the Lady of the Lake about fate and destiny versus free will is one of the basis of philosophy and religion that has been debated and caused more wars and suffering then any other reasons for conflict. The inner turmoil at that first meeting with the Lady in the string quest "Identity;" he is asked to pick between free-will, destiny or some watered down version based upon what he feels in his soul. I believe Geralt feels like a puppet who is both trying to find the meaning of life while "the powers that be" pull on his strings. I am going to omit spoilers about specific actions taken but making that first decision and deciding whether or not to do the Lady's bidding or chase a legend made the game for me. A truly melancholy but thought provoking Chapter. Thanks CDPR.

In Witcher 2, probably the Kayran fight was the moment to remeber, at least it was toughest for me.
In Witcher, travelling between different parts of Vizima was really nice, but obviously the end fight entirely was awesome.

My favourite moment? I could think of a nice few I liked a lot, but one that makes me laugh EVERY time it crosses my mind is "spieprzaj dziadu!" dialogue ....sorry for those of you who don't speak polish, as you'll never get the joke :)

the greates moment for me was absolutely the ending of witcher 2 when ı said it was over you have shown me with nilfgaardian army that it was just the beginning

My favorite moments, well at first i was shocked how well Witcher 1 story was writen. How i thought owww yea now i get to kill the professor and that Azar and then when the story continued into more. And then i saw even more characters from the books and was facinated. The Witcher took my first place in my heart forever. I think my best time was when u could decide where to take Alvin to Triss or Shani. Or when you knew that Azar was the murderer and set a trap for him. There are so many little things in the game that made my day. Then the Witcher 2 came out and i was like wow can they realy do that? So many different endings and stuff. My best line was when Geralt said to the maid: I want a hore. I rofl for days and it has been an inside joke with my friend till now. I grew feelings for this game( non other games make me cry or laugh) and i realy started to care about the charaters( when king Hanselt got Roches men all killed and raped Ves i was going to kill him...but i cant Witchers code forbide that) and cant w8 to see The Witcher 3 and Jeniffer.
Thank you CD Projekt RED you are the best.

what just happened to this thread......where did this wave of new fans came from all of the sudden.....there are like 200 newcomers, witch is awsome ...but wat happened???

The moment I realised that I liked The Witcher. I used to hate RPG's never understood them never liked them. FPS, RTS hack&slash were my type of games. And on the summer game drought The Witcher went on sale so I bought it because I had nothing else to play.
After playing first 5 minutes I thought it was horrible, didn't run well at all on my PC and I hated it. So I uninstalled it. 6 or so month later I got a new PC so I decided to test it out with The Witcher as my old PC barely ran it. This time the game ran much better but I still hated it, I thought combat was awful.
Another 5 months went passed and summer game drought came again I had nothing to play, The Witcher was the only game on my shelf that I haven't finished, so I decided to give it another go. I played it for half an hour and closed it, didn't like it. An hour or so later I played a bit more again and closed it. Once I had nothing to do I opened the game again. Somewhere down the line when I was feeding a cow dried fruit and I realised that I've been playing for 11 hours straight and I was LOVING every moment of the game, that's when I realise that I fell in love with The Witcher and found new interest in RPG's :)

blackgriffin said:
what just happened to this thread......where did this wave of new fans came from all of the sudden.....there are like 200 newcomers, witch is awsome ...but wat happened???

It is weird isn't it? Might be because of the twitter/facebook announcements. Suspect most won't be around after the contest ends though.

From The Witcher 1:

One of the most memorisable moments is after Geralt learns the location and way to get into the Salamandra hideout. After clearing those drowners roaming in the sewers and going to the hideout entrance, it begins...

After seeing the guards Geralt began to feel suspicious, but as the guards did not attack him instantly when he approached them, Geralt thought it was okay. Only the password was needed to say to gain entrance to the Salamandra hideout.
Inside the hideout it looked like any part of sewers. High hall build with stone and iron. Water streaming in the river and dirt water from streets of Wizima was slowly dropping throught the ceiling as small drops. - The atmosphere was really tense as I almost knew there would be a moment when Salamandra would learn who just entered their hideout.
After a search filled with ambient music the mood was just right as Geralt approached the chest that would contain this letter he was supposed to get. After Geralt's skillful sneak throught the caves of hideout he finally opened the chest and got what he was looking for, and that moment his presence was noticed as Salamandra mercenaries attack.
- This is the moment when "Salamandras battle theme" starts and the mercenaries attack from all directions. The music combined with Geralt's swordfight against enemies is something I was always looking forward to. After an intense fight those mercenaries took their final breath as Geralt's steel sword moves with a force and speed that was too much for his enemies when the sword hit their flesh.
Finally cityguards arrive and the fight ends. Salamandra battle theme slowly quiets and ambient begins. Geralt walks out of the sewers, and steps in a cold night of Wizima.

Favorite moments huh? It's hard to choose from so many.
My favorites ones are not necessarily related to the story, like in the first game every moment spent in the lakeside was great. the whole atmosphere of the place and the design were superb. the night music was my favorite track ( i don't think it made it to the OST though...)
Its the same with the elven ruins in the Witcher 2. and the love scene is maybe the most tasteful one in the whole history of gaming.
I loves Alvin being Jaques. telephoning not only through space but also trough time? brilliant.
I loved the "Yen is still alive" reveal. she's always been my favorite character from the books. saving the best for last guys? :) I even painted her portrait
http://darksorrow666.deviantart.com/art/Yennefer-334068605
I loved that you loved the books too, and every moment that referred to them.
Every moment you realize the characters or choices you make are never just good or bad. makes even this dark fantasy world more real.
And last but not least, the very fisrt moment in the main menu of the witcher 1. why? I used to have a very weak computer and I really really wanted to play the game, it looked so cool! when i finally got to play i was really happy.
there's a lot more, epic events in the story... supercool gameplay moments and so on, but for me the ones above are the most important.

The thing that made me go "whoah" when I first played the first Witcher was definitely the intro to the game, where Geralt fights against princess Adda in her Striga form and frees her from her curse. Those few minutes of pure and gritty awesomeness caught me in immediately. I really felt the power of a Witcher and the nastiness of the world Geralt and the rest lived in. The same happened again with the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, this time the game itself was the "whoah"-causing thing. The enchanced graphics were awesome, and the goodies in the Collector's edition I ordered were keeping me in the Witcher world even when I wasn't sitting in front of my computer. (Didn't get the medallion, though. I've been hunting one for two years now, but without one, it's hard to spot monsters or magic.)

So yeah, thanks for taking my soul away with that Witcher 1 intro. I didn't need it anyways.

I will never forget Chapter 4's Lakeside. I was going through a rough period in my life when I first played The Witcher, and Chapter 4's music put me at peace where nothing else could. The day theme as well as the night theme are still two of my favourite songs to date; if it weren't for those games and their music's calming effect, I wouldn't have been able to get through what I did.

On another note, The Witcher convinced me to learn French. What I mean by this is when I first played The Witcher, I was totally engrossed by the world it portrayed. I wanted more. I found out it was based on Sapkowski's novels, and at the time only one of them was translated to English. I live in Canada and French is the second official language. I figured I could kill two birds with one stone, learn French to read The Witcher books as well as learn a useful language in my country.

For me it has to be the moment you enter Flotsam in Witcher 2. At the time i was thinking "Phew, that thing with Squirells was close, I'm going to take it easy for a bit." and then I stumble upon my bff about to be hanged. "Man Dandelion got himself in some serious s**t", I remember myself thinking. But that moment illustrated all good things about Witcher. Constant drama, beautiful enviroment (Flotsam looked great), beautifully written, realistic story and characters you really care about, and not to mention a badass mutant monster killer (yeah i kicked that guard's ass). Sooo, happy birthday Witcher developement team, good job and I'm looking forward to Witcher 3. Keep up the good work! :)/>

When I repeated fight with Javed for three hours to make Berengar survive and the feeling I did the right thing afterwards.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a glitch and he just stood there for eternity.

I could trace my favorite to a single moment, or scene, but within the wonderful universe and atmosphere created by CD Projekt RED, it would not make due to describe the feeling, the sense of life within the environment. admittedly, the first game had its things to pull you from immersion (the HORDES and HORDES of Drowners, for example.) but the sense of impact, and meaningfulness of Geralt's (your) actions throughout the game entirely overshadows this. My favorite moments in the game are those in which you feel a genuine tear in yourself; a split between doing the 'right' thing, the 'best' thing, and 'most logical' thing. These feelings, and thoughts happen right from the VERY start.

Now, before I start into this, I must admit, I have only played the first game, and am working on the second.

(SPOILERS)

My first encountering this experience of dilemma was the Scoia'tael arms. While this is a minor example, it still made me think, put me in the shoes of the Witcher, and contemplate. 'Who is this man I'm working with now? Selling arms to vigilantes', 'What will these Elves DO with the weapons, should they get them?', 'What will they do if they DON'T get them?' and 'Did Brogg really trade with them, or were they attempting to steal them, and pulling smooth words to avoid a fight they don't need?' All of these thoughts crashed down on me, making me take a considerable amount of time making the decision (likely around 10 minutes, to be truthful.) Being a minor example, this still captures what I love about the story created and laid out before us by CD Projekt.

My next example is when Abigail is assailed by the townsfolk. I thought to myself deeply, reaching so many conclusions, that I felt not unlike the Witcher myself. My thoughts followed the lines of 'This hack again; preaching his nonsense.', though I hadn't liked the Reverend from the start. Immediately following this was 'So... did Abigail actually do this, or is he simply accusing wrongly, or to give the town a scapegoat, something to take their mind off the Beast, and his being incorrect about it.' In the end (again after much internal debate) I decided to take Abigails side, of course only after wondering 'What will the townspeople do when I tell them they can't have her? How will it reflect on me if I slaughter a town of people (If that is what it comes to.); will that have been too extreme? Possibly remove some people from my reach? (Oh no, he's a monster)' though in the end decided to stick by my feeling anyways. Later in the game I felt very proud, and happy with this decision, when Carmen explained her story to us. It was wonderful that I could get SATISFACTION in my choice, simply though something they thoughtfully added later on, and explanation; the depth is incredible.

I could continue to go on with these decisions for another page, certainly, with how many are present (at least a couple every chapter), but I will simply highlight my few favorites, and what about them I appreciated. It is so very difficult to pick one or three even, though.

Scoia'tael or Order

This was a seemingly simple choice throughout the game, that spanned its entirety; most times myself I chose to stay out of the conflict as much as necessary, it seemed a silly shedding of blood, and out of my hands to prevent; later in the game it effectively forces you to make a choice ('A friend to neither, is an enemy of both' or something along those lines) and at first I hated that it did that; forcing you to finally pick one side or another in a conflict you held no emotional value in anyways (I didn't appreciate either side, really. I sympathized with both to some extent, likely the Scoia'tael faintly more, but neither side had any right to create what they did), but later on, I appreciated this for something entirely different; sometimes some choices are out of reach, out of your hand, so to say. We were an important piece in their chess game, filled with self-created importance and selfish morals, but a piece none-the-less, and with a pair of queens locked around, sometimes you have to make a move, and not always the one you want. (And then of course the third player, hidden behind it, trying to get their own agenda finished.) It was an extremely complex feeling for a video game to give me, and brought me to love the game even more.

Alvin to Triss, or Shani.

To me, this seemed a small, and rather insignificant decision in comparison to some of the others, at first. I thought 'Oh, I'll give Alvin to Triss; she is much more learned in magic, and atop that, last time Shani looked after him, Abigail ended up with him. And THAT was fun.' So, following through with that, all of a sudden Triss wants a ring, and Shani hates me; it was like a hurricane of estrogen, which, while slightly confusing, also showed the impact of even what you feel might be a 'small decision'.

I'm certain EVERYONE had different 'small decisions' and, 'given choices' (Choices that simply seemed automatic, rather than a choice) and even choices that they grew to appreciate/regret later through the effect reverberating throughout the universe, but one thing always stays the same. We FEEL that impact, that investment into the Witcher, and his world, through the choices we have to make, and the impact those have upon everything. To describe my favorite part about the Witcher in few words, it would be these; Dilemma, Choice, Impact. These accurately describe what 'The Witcher' brings, that few other video games, movies, or even BOOKS have been able to bring me to. Thank you CD Projekt RED, thank you for all the hard work, dedication, research, and care you have put into your games, and I hope you may continue making them as wonderfully.

PS. After having read the books (the third is on its way to me now) I appreciate your creation even more; fitting in with what already stood as Geralt, and creating those choices while STILL being Geralt.

Apologies for all the parenthesis, and may the Sun ever shine upon your travels.

Marcus/Ren

Witcher.

Kinl3y said:
It is weird isn't it? Might be because of the twitter/facebook announcements. Suspect most won't be around after the contest ends though.
Its also possible that they were always there, but never had a reason to peek out. I personally haven't spoke much in the community (due to issue with time constants, and MANY other things to do/finish/take care of), yet I visit here often enough to see what others are up to, and other interesting things happening. Everyone appreciates something their own way.

Top Bottom