Your favorite Witcher moments - Contest

+
It was some time since I last played TW1, but really my favourite and most memorable moment is probably playing dice in the prison with the elven prisoner heading for execution at the beginning of ACT 2.
I can think of some events or lines that stood out the most, but the most memorable moments for me were when I was just completely sucked in by the atmoshphere and aesthetics in the games. Every act introduces you to some new location with its own atmoshphere and backstory. The dark, medieval outskirts terrorized by the beast, rainy Vizima suffering from the plague or the chilly and calm lakeside in ACT 4 etc..
TW2 is a bit different but I enjoyed it even more. It really drowned me in, when i first played it I was just 'WOW.'. I really enjoyed exploring and the whole feel of world I was in, I know every corner of that game ;).
There are some really cool quests like the Eternal battle or the cealanno harpy quest with the dream projector or Secrets of Loc Muinne and the talk with the golem. The political quest at the beginning of ACT 2 was also great, when you played for Henselt/Stennis. I wish to see stuff like that in TW3. But yeah, my favourite moments are just being sucked in by the feel of the witcher world :).

not easy to say, too many great moments.

W1: Intro was great

... and that moment, when Geralt drinked potions.. hmm..perfect.

funny dialogue with Lady of the lake

all cutscenes, sex cards

W2: Beggining (Foltest's army camp) and obviously:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52gubp2_WQc[/media]
kids, close your eyes :)

And dialogues with Golem and:

Definitely running around the Outskirts of Vizima during daytime. It's my favorite RPG moment, and The Witcher is not even my top favorite RPG (that title goes to KOTOR). There's no combat, just a melancholic theme altogether; It's peaceful, yet you feel the world isn't all that happy (woman with Alvin died very recently, Leo also died beside you). It's just astonishing to the point where I can't describe it with words.

There were also more great moments in both games, but this is by far the best one for me.

Not my favorite moment, but had me laughing, was Geralt waking up during the "Hung Over" quest by the harbor ,half-naked, with a Blue Stripes Tattoo. Ves then explaining how she tried to stop him but he insisted on trying to "cross the river on the whore's asses".

Thanks to the fact that I'm gaming journalist, I experienced few interesting moments. I can't forget about the moment when I played preview version of The Witcher 2 for the first time. That feeling that I can play the game on my own PC long before release, and the moment when I saw murder of King Foltest for the first time... It was fantastic. It was stunning. But realization that CD Projekt forbade sharing of my impressions from this scene as well as other moments wasn't much good. It was almost like a torture. Another interesting moment came after release of the full game, at the time when I had to write a review. I didn't have much time, so I decided to strictly follow the story line, I didn't bother with side-quests. This method, applied on normal difficulty, wasn't problem until the boss fight againts Saskia-Dragon. Due to the fact that I didn't complete single side-quest, my Geralt was weak. Unexperienced. Thanks to this, that fight was really hard. I spent almost whole afternoon with this battle, I died so many times and the feeling when I finally won was something absolutely new for me. It was pure happiness and best victory moment I ever experienced in video games. Even today it's still one of my most memorable gaming memories. Thanks for this CD Projekt. Thanks for so many great moments.

Killing a Letho.

Just Killing your friend, it was so sad. If he only wasn't motivated to make new witchers, I couldn't not allow to sacrifice young boys lives, not to live in hegemony of Nilfgaard. So I standing drinking last vodka shot before a duel. Farewell Letho. Shame that in my cannon you are gone.

Ah, The Witcher series... What can I say, it was love at first sight. I'm a sucker for a good story, and the fact that they touched my slavic chord was a major plus, something that no other game did before, not by this magnitude anyways.

Started with The Witcher as a naive highschooler, it stayed with me as a reckless student and continues to be a part of me as I start to get a hold of my life's reins. I know this will sound cheesy, but the games didn't have great moments, they WERE great moments, moments I will treasure 'till the day I die.

For the sake of the thread however I will share some things that always pop in my head when I think of the games:

The Witcher

1. The Outskirts of Vizima

(Taken from http://witcher.gamep...kirts_of_Vizima , hope it's not a problem.)

This place made me think of the village I used to visit my relatives on my mother's side. Yes some villages still look like that even today in our lovely country. What really got me was the atmosphere, something The Witcher nailed so well it amazed me, that eastern european feel. It was like I was a little boy again feeding chickens and running around in the mud, except with 100% more barghests.

2. The Monsters

(Taken from http://witcher.gamep...om/Drowned_dead)

The huge variety helped, but what I really liked was the uniqueness to them, even if I saw some of the monsters in other games, here they were unique. My favorite being of course the Drowner/Drowned Dead. The mere thought of a semi decomposed person that drowned, coming back to life to eat you sends shivers down my spine, even though they became kind of a joke later on in the game.

The Witcher 2

1.The banter

(Taken from http://witcher.gamep...com/Flotsam_inn)

Even though both games had NPCs sitting around talking about different people/events, I prefer the ones in TW2. The two drunks in front of the inn jump to mind, wondering if witchers eat spuds has to be my favorite. They seem so natural and not at all forced. I appreciate them greatly.

2. Vernon Roche

(Taken from http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Roche)

No words needed.

I also have some memories not related directly to the game, but they hold a special place in my heart:

First one would have to be the day I introduced my girlfriend to the witcher world, and how I realised that the game is as much fun to watch as it is to actually play, which says a lot of the story aspect of the game. And how I didn't agree with some of her choices or questioned why I never considered some of the ways she approached different situations, it was a treat to say the least.

Second thing was of course Gamescom, where I was able to say thank you directly to my favorite devs.

(Us with Miles Tost, a level designer for the games)

And where I got my very own witcher medallion.

Sorry for the long post, hope I didn't bore with my little story.

The ending of The Witcher 1, when the King of the Wild Hunt talks to you, telling you everything you did during the game and why every choice you made led to the Greater Evil... One of the most memorable moments in any video game, in my humble opinion

TW1: intro where Geralt is a badass and punches the Striga in the face
TW2: Zoltans "lesbomance" line
TW3 killing monsters trailer : Aard to the face scene

For me, the most powerful moment was the trek to Loc Muinne. All along the way hearing of the Vrans who built it, and how the city continually played host to tragedy. It was the perfect setup for the end of The Witcher 2, and what I will remember most about the series. I cannot wait to find out how it all ends.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers this but I absolutely loved this part - there was a group of little gnomes, I found them once or twice in The Witcher 1 - one group could be found on the edge of the forest, by the fields, not sure where exactly, the other one in one cavern. It was such a long time ago since I played it last. It was fantastic to see them. I was always fascinated by these little creatures since I was a kid and seeing them in Witcher laughing, running around was a fantastic experience for me. Well, that's it, time to dig up my Witcher 1, and install it again. I'm going to find them. I wish I could keep one in my Witcher bag. Seriously, a 'companion pet' if you will. I spent all my childhood believing in their existence, you gave me the chance to relive that fantasy!

There are a lot of memorable moments, really... I´ll try to pick just a few.

Spoilers ahead, obviously.

1- Investigating the Beast in the Outskirts

How you go learning stuff about the Beast, and how you eventually find out that the townspeople brought it on themselves because of their own depravity... This made me realize that the morality in this game was not going to be crystal clear, at all. And I loved it.

2- Finding out about Jacques´s origins

This has already been talked about, and much better than I could do it myself. But I have to mention it. To realize that Alvin, the kid I had fantasized with raising along Triss, as a family... Transformed into this desperate man, who did such atrocities, and because of his own twisted interpretations of my own advices... Unbelievable, heart-wrenching, and pure genius.

3- Foltest´s camp

I can´t really explain how this part of TW2 affected me. When Geralt stepped out of that tent and I could see the camp in all its glory, I was speechless. It just felt so real that I couldn´t believe it! Walking around the camp, talking to the soldiers, etc... It made me realise, right from the beginning, that this was going to be one hell of a ride.

4- Radovid punishing Philippa

Before you get funny thoughts: I´m not some kind of morbid person who likes seeing people being tortured or anything like that. But that scene really fleshed out the character of Radovid perfectly: this was a King who would not be a puppet to anybody, sorceress or not. The shear brutality of it made me wince, but it was a great moment of the game, one of my favorites for sure.

There are many more, but these are the ones which made me lose my mind when I first saw them.

For me, two things got me hooked, but they are very strange. I don't know why these are the two things that got me into the game series, but here it is. I'm certainly glad that they did, however! I bought the first game on sale at Walmart maybe 4-6 months before The Witcher 2 came out, mainly because I was bored. Bought The Witcher 2 the week it came out, and am now eagerly awaiting pre-sales for the final installment.

1. The music/score created for the game. Maybe not so strange, considering I'm a musician, but I hadn't played many games at the time with such well orchestrated, preformed, and recorded music. I loved the exploring music, and how you knew danger was near with the subtle change in the score. Luckily, my copy of the game came with the soundtrack, which I still listen to, River of Life being the most played I think.

2. The dwarves' beards. Weird, I know, but I loved how they imagined them: almost as long as they were tall, bushy, wagging back and forth as they walked. Most of the time, in fantasy, Dwarves are hard for me to differentiate from humans. They're basically short humans, with nothing else separating the two races, but the beards in the first game really helped make them stand out as a completely different race, not just a short version of humans.

Told you it was strange! Thanks for making such great games!

----------
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask where they're going and hook up with them later..." -Mitch Hedberg

This is really easy for me... There are tons of magical moments in the series, specially in the first game, which has a so haunting atmosphere and many story twists and turns (some have been already mentioned). But this is the one, memorable moment for me, which made me fall in love with the character;
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ATzCR_JJs[/media]

Geralt saving the witch Abigail... It may sound cheesy, but the way the scene developes and resolves is outstandingly cool; a master swordman who doesnt resort to the use of his weapons, but solves the issue with his wise words instead, giving the scornful humans a lesson about how to be "humane", Geralt himself being an outcast from human society.
The last line uttered by Abigail in such a surprised, yet constrained tone always makes me teary... />/>/>/>/>/>/>

In TW1 - the intro battle with striga. It was so frigging good!
In TW2 - a lot. Truly EPIC are these:
- Foltest's assassination
- conversation with Letho and fight in the elven baths
- Beginning of chapter 2 - negotiations between Henselt and Saskia, and the curse
- the eternal battle
- Loc Muinne summit (with Nilfgaard present) and dragon attack
- the massacre and Radovid commenting on it

Way to many:

1. The entire soundtrack of the first game.

2. The ending conversation with the Wild Hunt.

3.Drinking with Letho.

4.Shani's granny kicking Geralt out of the house.

5.Dice with Foltest.

6.Vaska bestowing the blessings of the Water Lords upon Geralt after countless hours of wading thru the rain burdened swamp, at game 1.0. :)

7.Selling tons of gold ruby rings for 120 orens to buy a excellent leather jacket that looks exactly the same like the one I had before. :)

8.Losing Alvin to the Gambling Ghost.

9.Chasing Griggs around the Santon, deeply convinced that I'm doing something wrong, and that there is more to them.

10.The Lady of the Lake.

11. The Hermit with the Vysygota vibe.

12. Seeing Zoltan and Dandelion in Witcher 2 for the first time.

TW1:

1- Geralt replies to Abigail about witcher's swords "both are for monsters."
2- Vincent Meis says "I'm not a monster in the inside . . . unlike you."
3- Triss cast Alzure's shield on Geralt and he says "I don't recall giving the book to her !"
4- when Berengar come back to fight Azar, we understand that judging people is much more difficult than it seems.
5- when a severely wounded knight of the order come and report to the grand master, I see that many people like Jacques de Aldersberg don't deserve the respect given to them.

TW2:

1- "that's not my father . . . but it is you king boy."
2- Geralt to Iorveth: "Nilfgaard ploughed you once, now someone new does. am I wrong ?"
3- the village chief in act 1 says "here's your 200 orens and shove it up your arse" and then Geralt nod his head. (meaning: I'll do !)
4- "it's a dog's life Geralt, I'll tell you that much"
5- when the drunken dwarf describes Triss.
6- when Geralt delivered the jade figurine to the Nilfgaardian camp unintentionally, I realized that we are the primal cause of our own misery.
7- bartender in act 2: "covered in shit, piss, tears and still he survived." I think our fate is much more important in survival than skill, cunning or knowledge.
8- Geralt to Vernon: "kings will only keep their promise when it suits them." 98% accurate about powerful people.
9- Geralt would only kill the dragon in deep sorrow and grief.

and finally, all those moments in both games where you have to choose but you really can't.

I really like the interactions with Triss, Dandelion, and Zoltan. They're Geralts oldest friends and not only that Triss is his lover. I really wished, we saw more interaction with Triss that is not part of the game story. Like going on dates and stuff whenever you want. Specially now that the world is open, when you see a beautiful place you can take her there on a date and give her a gift and make love and stuff. I think Witcher 2 was too much politics. Plus I want to see reactions on Triss's part if you go and sleep around.

Too many in W1 to choose from.

As for W2, the Roche-ending of chapter 1, starting with Morils suicide and leaving her child with Seherim. The following music, Ves' reaction, the build up with one of Roches commandos (thank you CDP for the *slap* option)... Just a perfect summary of the Witcher universe, what Geralt has to deal with and how he deals with it. These moments made me more engaged in the story and its (anti)hero than all of the beet-the-odds fighting and back-stabbing plots ever did.

I don't know why, but every time I remember this I laugh.

Its when Geralt delivers (actually don't) the message from Yeavinn to Golan Vivaldi. Vivaldi says that he knows what Yeavinn want, he wants what any elf, human or dwarf want.

And you have the opition to say "she dwarves", and I always say that one. Its funny as hell.

As I said, I don't know why but this is one of my favorite moments of witcher series, when Geralt say things really, really stupid /> .

Top Bottom