Your favorite Witcher moments - Contest

+
I don't know if this counts but I believe what makes a game "great" is not how many epic moments it has, but how successfully it pulls you in and the emotions it triggers. So, while there are many moments that stood out for me in both games, my pick will not be one of them.

The moment I'll never forget is when I was first playing The Witcher, I was running around Vizima at night, probably pursuing a side quest and I just stopped Geralt in the middle of the street. The music, the atmosphere... I had heard that the game was based on books but at the time, I hadn't read them. So I thought: "This game does flow like an incredible book. To be read chapter by chapter." I felt like I was in such a mysterious, wonderful world, I smiled to myself.

And that's never happened to me in any game before.

Maaaan, Witcher medallions! It`s so awersome!

I can`t remember all the interesting moments in Witcher franchise. I think that the most rememberable was the whole story with Alvin. The story in the first Witcher game was very unexpected for me, which made this game my favourite and now I love it even more ^^ Can`t wait for Witcher 3 to be released.

The moment that has held my imagination for a long time is the encounter with the "resurrected" White Rayla.

Some people would say she was a bad brave woman who came to an end no worse than what she deserved. I'm not so sure anyone would deserve the way she must have been "treated". I imagine Azar Javed raping her just to test whether she is strong enough to fight back, I hear her plead to die a warrior, and shout "Lay on, and damned be him who cries 'Hold, enough!'" My Geralt reads Siegfried the riot act over being so careless as to allow this to happen, then goes after Azar Javed in hot blood, with no further concern for his own safety and a monster of vengeance in his heart.

There are many others, from the King of the Wild Hunt summoning the ghost of Leo to the reappearance of the very much alive Aryan LaValette. But what happened to White Rayla, and how Geralt reacts to her, has intrigued me no end.

It´s not easy to make up my mind and choose only one moment... The atmosphere and the music int the lake and in Kaer Morhen in TW1 are awesome and made me feel so relaxing, and of course the bath with Triss in the elven ruins is...fantastic.
But if I had to highlight only one thing, i would say the prision break trailer of TW2. I really felt like playing the second part before watching that video, so you can imagine then... I watched it at least 20 times and I didn´t get rid of it!. And of course it was worth waiting until i bought the game...

Regards from Spain!

I can't possibly list them all:

-the White Rayla/Toruviel dynamic. In a rather casual conversation, Rayla mentions she let her men rape and kill Toruviel. There is something insidious about hearing second hand when a friend or loved one has passed. Most devs would have given the proud elf a tragic death, CDPR snuffs her out in the worst way imaginable without you even seeing it. So who gets the most tragic death scene in the game? White Rayla.

-"That sword is for monsters..." *stab*

-Cedric's death in the vanilla game

-letting Letho go

-finding out who Saskia was

-convincing Roche to spare Henselt

-Ves romance. I love how you can botch it.

-party at Shani's house

-raid on Loredo's house

-the entire chapter 4 of TW1. More games need to do this, give the player a breather from the main quest line.

When you slowly follow behind Roche and Triss, one biting the other with edgy remarks, and looking around you while setting your first steps in the mesmerizing shore of Flotsam's forest, and suddenly starting to hear the gentle, melodic tune of a flute. "I smell an elf", the commando reminding you who you're walking with, and what hearing that melody probably anticipates. "King or beggar, what's the difference? One dh'oine less". And before knowing it, being showered with arrows, and seeing them vanish into butterflies of pure light.

When the commander of the Blue Stripes decides it'd be safe to pass himself for an "Emhyr var Emreis, spice merchant" because not even the guards at Flotsam would know the name of the Norther Kingdom's greatest foe. And succeeding.

When Iorveth pronounces a sentence in Elder Speech, not expecting Geralt to understand, and the witcher's laconic translation:

"Conquer with courage rather than strength?"

And then the bandit slowly claps his hands, almost in derision.

And all of this happening in just a tiny fragment of what The Witcher games consist of. Just a tiny part of what they've been able to convey. I could stay here all night, going beyond the first chapter of the second game, to recite scenes such as these that filled me with deep emotions that became fond memories. But I'll limit myself to these three to show you that for me, The Witcher is magnificent not only for its grandiosity, but for its many little things as well.

One of my funny moments in The Witcher 1 is when I payed a visit to the detective.
Looking through the first floor I found a box of fisstech and went up stairs to for a chat.
The detective said it kept him up day and night so Geralt opened up his inventory and tired some.

A strong drug indeed...

I don't think I'd call it a favourite moment but I remember playing Witcher 1 right after Release and having to wait for what felt like an eternity on every bloody loadingscreen.. and still being glued to the game without getting annoyed.

Though thinking back to the Witcher 1... yeah my favourite has to be coming into the Hairy Bear Inn and seeing those minstrels next to the door - sure they also were in the village inn before, but much less prominent.
The atmosphere in the Hairy Bear with the music, the gambling and the fighting was simply amazing.

For me an awesome moment was at the beginning of TW2 when you stepped out of the tent into an extremely beautiful (I play on PC :)) and live world, surrounded by soldiers acting like actual soldiers with purposes.

Perhaps the coolest moment in either of the games was when you performed the ritual to remove Henselt's curse. It just seemed like I was doing a real witcher-esque action.

Thank you CD Projekt RED for creating some of my favorite games and getting me into Andrzej Sapkowski novels.

P.S.
Anytime Geralt says something wry it makes my day!

I think I could keep adding new ones here every couple of seconds.
Having really dark dungeons in Witcher 1 and the odd moment when you first enter them without "Cat" (and then dropping your torch to draw the sword) fighting Gouls in absolute darkness with only the blade flashing was brilliant.

And on the topic of the loading screens.. I really, really hate that frog on the Kaer Morhen Outside Loadingscreen. I can't stand the green little bugger, but I also remember him most fondly from my first minutes with the game.

For me, it was the ending of the Witcher 1 intro video from when the slashes from the striga's claws fade, especially the final part of the voiceover, "Geralt of Rivia disappeared, all but forgotten, but that's ... another story." That voiceover still gives me chills as the music swells...

guipit said:
I'm suprised there are more Jacques fans than Letho fans.

That's because Letho might have been a friend, but Alvin was like a son! We taught him things and he deformed them! How many times do you feel terrible for killing the "final boss"? The Witcher blurs cliches and does terrible things with our emotions.

Geralt offering to go back to the tent with Triss during the Siege in the Prologue of TW2 for a bit of different action. Just the way it was captured with the voices and posture...

Well i`m not entering but had to share my thoughts .

After getting the 1st game and firing it up and going through the learning curve which was the prolog I thought to myself this game is going to be interesting and even before I made it out of the prolog I was hooked .

After spending countless hours amazed by the artistic details put into the game from the loading screens to the unparalleled story writing and how it was woven into the fabric of the game was something that I had never experienced before .

When on the Ice Plains it dawned on me that this game was going to be ending and I didn`t want it to end . I wanted...no , had to find out how it ended but at the same time didn`t want it to end at all . Never had ANY game filled me with elation and sadness at the same time .

My favorites:
-The village in the swamp in W1 with their sect, idol, old woman and the lizardman coming at midnight.
-The sex scene in W2 while elfs and a dwarf were speaking outside and the dwarf heard the noises. And the very similar scene in W1 in the mill. :D/>
-The note in W2 when a merchant tells Geralt he believed him to be an emo. :)/>
-The nutty old women in W1: Shani's landlady who randomly let you in or not and another one who believed a monster to be his son. :)/>
-Dethmold's face after Geralt told him the king must be guarded using silver swords and the wizard's silverwares perfectly suitable to make silver swords. :)/> Later they remained in their place so the wizard didn't sacrifice them.
-The brilliant epizode with Noonwraiths, Nightwraiths and the two sisters' tragic story.
-And the prize-winning cow (W1)! :D/>
-I almost forgot the werewolf part in W1. A really tough choice.

In Wicher 2:

When Dandelion enters the succubus's lair and geralt says "That fucking idiot actually went in." :D
Saskia's speech during the battle at vergen.

Throughout my many hours spent traversing the world of The Witcher, I have felt saddened, betrayed, disgusted, impressed, powerful and vulnerable. However, there are few times in this gloomy world where I have been overcome with absolute glee.

One of these such moments was the Battle of Vergen. Initially, I had witnessed the battle fighting alongside a vengeful Roche. It pained me to see Vergen's defenses crumble so quickly under the immense might of Henselt's forces. Due to this initial experience, there was no way that I would rationally believe that a single witcher - even the White Wolf himself - would be enough to reverse the tide of the battle.

But he was.

Fighting alongside the dwarves and elves of Vergen, I was astonished to see the resistance offered against Henselt's soldiers with molten hot oil and the dispatchment of waves of Kaedweni soldiers with a witcher's sword and dwarven armaments. When Dethmold entered the scene and started flailing his staff around, I felt sure the tide of battle would change for the worst. Yet it seemed the powerful sorcerer only managed to create slight downpour. How lovely.

My excitement only grew when Zoltan informed me that a certain couple of trolls had joined the battle. This felt like a true reward for my work throughout the chapter and gave me an unwavering motivation to continue defending the walls of Vergen. Even at this point, I was not certain we'd win. The Kaedwenis kept coming. I felt sure Dethmold would appear, pulling a wild trick from his sleeve. Even when Henselt announced that he had no choice but to surrender, I sat in disbelief, thinking that he himself had a wild trick up his sleeve.

But there were no more tricks. We had won. And I was overcome with absolute glee.

Last edited:
Let me add another: the first time I played TW2 I gave Iorveth his sword back, and upon my return to Flotsam the town was in flames. The second time, I didn't give him his sword back, and the town was celebrating his capture with a feast. That was mind blowing, never before had I seen a game that changed so drastically depending on my choices.

Top Bottom