Your favourite quote

+
Your favourite quote

By entering this topic you're bound to write your favourite quote from Sapkowski's books. Let's give people who don't know AS some (very hazy) idea of his style which they hopefully will find in the game dialogues/narration :) It's not an English contest so don't mind the quality of the translations!
'On my sihil,' snarled Zoltan exposing the sword 'there's an old dwarvish spell engraved with the ancient dwavish runes.' Let any ghul get at a blade's distance, he'll remember me. Just look.''Ha,' said approaching Jaskier 'so these are the famous secret dwarvish runes? What does this inscription say?''Kill the motherf.ckers!'

First thing out of memory :"- Well, then... And you... Who is the best swordsman in the world?- I have no idea.- You never knew one?- I knew a lot who thought they were the best.- Wow! Who were they? What were they're names? What could they do?- Slow down, girl! I don't have answers to your questions. Is it that important?- You bet it's important! I'd like to know... who are they - these swordsmen. And where to find them.- Well, I know where to find them.- So where?- In the graveyards." ©

"Knight without a scar, is a d*ck and no hero!" Dunno, if i translated it right (in slovak: "Rytier bez jazvy je kokot a nie hrdina!")

Hehe my favorite is that when some mans are going to be hanged and they were saying their last word:1st one : I'm really sorry..Second : I didn't want to do this thing...Third : KISS MY ASS !

Jaskier [I dunno how to translate it], you are fourty, look like thirty, think you're twenty and behave like ten.
The Dragon had crushed horse with paw and brought down his muzzle. Horse had torn fearfully, jerked and silenced. In silence that fell, everybody heared mighty voice of dragon Villentretenmerth.-Brave Eyck of Denesle can be taken from field, he's incapable to fight. Next, please.-Oh f**k!- said Yarpen Zigrin in silence that fell.
I can't remember else in that moment

Hell, here's one of my favourites, from chronicles of battle of Brenna, written by Jarre the Scribe, comparing with real situation on the battlefield:
So they came towards him - officers and knights, bringing a fresh horse, shouting, to flee, to run for his life. But a fearless heart was beating in a chest of Marshal of Nilfgaard. "Unacceptable!", he shouted, pushing back offered reins. "Unacceptable, so that I ran like a coward from the field, on which under my command so many fair men died for the Emperor". And so added valiant Menno Coehoorn...***- There's nowhere to get the f*ck out - added calmly and consciously Menno Coehoorn, looking around the field - They've surrounded us from all directions.

macell said:
By entering this topic you're bound to write your favourite quote from Sapkowski's books. Let's give people who don't know AS some (very hazy) idea of his style which they hopefully will find in the game dialogues/narration :) It's not an English contest so don't mind the quality of the translations!
'On my sihil,' snarled Zoltan exposing the sword 'there's an old dwarvish spell engraved with the ancient dwavish runes.' Let any ghul get at a blade's distance, he'll remember me. Just look.''Ha,' said approaching Jaskier 'so these are the famous secret dwarvish runes? What does this inscription say?''Kill the motherf.ckers!'
It's not good translated from polish, our version is really funnier :D "Na pochybel skurwys.ynom" :D I don't know how to translate it better.... Any options, pl ppl?

Teer1

Forum veteran
My favourite quote? :)Jaskier (Dendalion) to the miller wife: Daj ać ja pobruszę, a ty skocz po piwo. (I will grind instead of you, and you bring the beer).Why this is funny in polish language? Because in this sentence you have connected archaic polish with modern jive talk. And the archaic part is very known because it was the first sentence ever wrote in Polish language.

I think this topic in International section is some misunderstanding :) - only "The last wish" is translated into English and most of people, which have posted here are Polish ;) - here's (in this topis, I mean) is many polish words

Well although only Last Wish was translated into English so far, Sapkowski's books were translated to many other languages. :)I contributed to this thread and I am not Polish. And also I liked to read others favorite quotes... ;)Another favorite of mine - a thug to Geralt, after finding out he attacked an unarmed (!) witcher:If you want to commit suicide, hang yourself in stables. Don't pull others into it.

I have one good quote. It says Djikstra ( master and chief among spys )" When I told people of redania to jump, the asking me how high they shoud jump "that was great joke but to really understand it you should read all situation ;]

Hmm now i try some quote translate. It's argue between Dwarf and Knight. Dwarf say something about a coat of arms on his Shield.'Look at this Knight! He got Coat of arms. 3 Lions on his shield. 2 of them shit themselves and the third growl. 'I don't think thta my translation is perfect cos i don't know some words and i dictionary I did not find them .

Heh, I can't say which is my favourite one, so I will just contribute something from the second tome of saga, "Time of disdain', which is, accidentally (;p), lying on my desk.Hmm... So:Jaskier (Dindallion) and Ciri, on the nature of poetry and returns(my translation, so far from perfect):(..)"If you want [to know what they are talking about - ad. red.] - laughed the bard - Then I shall tell.- And how can you know anything of this?- Ha, ha. I, my dear Ciri, am a poet. The poets know everything of such things. I will tell you more: the poets know more of such things then the people in question.- No way!- I give you a word. A word of a poet.- You do? Then...then say, what they are speaking about! Explain to me, what does all of this mean!- Look through the hole [in the wooden fence - ad.red.] once again and say what do they do.- Hmmm. (...) Mrs Yennefer stands by the willow...Plucks leaves from a twig and plays with her star [necklace - ad.red.]... She says nothing and doesn't look at Geralt at all... And Geralt... And Geralt stands besides her. He lowered his head. And he is saying something.... No. He is silent. And his face... Oh, how strange an expression does he have!- Child's play (...). He is asking her to forgive him all his stupid words and deeds. He asks her to forgive his impatience, lack of faith and hope, his stubbornness, his pertinacity, his sulking and the poses unworthy of a man. He asks her to forgive him all that he didn't understand before, all that he didn't want to understand before...- This is an untrue untruth! (...) You are making it up!- He asks her to forgive all that he has understood only recently -Jaskier fixed his eyes into the heaven and started to recite in the rhythm of a ballade - for what he would like to understand, but fears to not be able understand in time... And for what he will never understand. He apologizes and asks for her forgiveness... hmm, hmm... The meaning... The conscience...The destine? All banal, damn...- It is not true! (..) Geralt isn't saying that! He isn't saying anything at all. I saw it myself. He just stands there with her and remains silent....- And that is the role of poetry, Ciri. To speak of what others keep silent.- Stupid is all that role of yours! And you are making all of that up!- That is also the role of poetry. Hey, I hear some raised voices from the pound. Look quickly, what is happening?- Geralt (...) stands silent with lowered head. And Yennefer is screaming at him terribly. She is yelling at him and is waving her hands about. Oh my... What can it mean?- Child's play (...). Now she is apologising to him."I always liked this fragment. it is so... telling ;].

Mógłby ktoś przytoczyc rozmowę Ciri i Jarpena o wpływie chędorzenia na rozwuj społeczeństwa? ;] Ja niestety nie pamiętam tego i nie mam książki a rozmowa była ciekawa.Sorry for that it isn't in english. Maybe someone will tell what i have mean.

Top Bottom