Your favourite quote

+
If you are looking for justice... hire a witcher.(Inscription on wall of Oxenfurt university)

There're tones of quotes from the Saga that make me laugh to tears or they'are simply beautiful.I just love the dwarves playing cards in "Baptism of Fire" or almost every introductory motto to chapters (like quites from Encyclopaedia Maxima Mundi :)And here's one of my favourites lines (in my own translation):Dijkstra to Jaskier (Dandelion) from "Blood of Elves":"I know for sure that you are close to your fourties (40), you look like you were about thirty years of age, you think that you're a bit more than twenty but you are acting like you were no more than ten"... :)

"- Teeth pulling! Without pain... almost! Cheap! Cheap!""What it means - cheap?", Dandelion asked."- Two hallers per hour."Dandelion shuddered.

Ok, this time some non-witcher stuff. From the short story *Golden Afternoon*. If i have time I might put my fav dialogue from Narrenturm later on.What can be worse than an idiot in a wood?If it's "nothing" you said, you were wrong. There is something worse than an idiot in a wood.It's a female idiot in a wood.Such idiot in a wood - attention please - can be recognised for the following: she can be heard from half a mile, she does a clumsy capriole after every three or four steps, she hums, speaks to herself, tries to kick cones on the ground and misses them all.And when she sees you lying peacefully on a limb of a tree she says: "Oh!" and then stares at you shamelessly."Oh", said the idiot rising her head and starring at me shamelessly, "Hello, cat."I smiled and the idiot, already ill pale, became even palier and folded her hands - to conceal their trembling."Good afternoon, mister kitten", she muttered and cursyed clumsily."Bonjour, ma fille", I said while still smiling. French, as you guess, was to confuse the idiot. I haven't decided what to do with her yet but I couldn't let the chance to have some fun. And confused female idiot is something very amusing."Ou est ma chatte?" squeked the idiot all of a sudden.As you have guessed, this wasn't a conversation. It was the first sentence from her French classbook. An interesting reaction nevertheless.I settled myself on the branch. Slowly, not to scare the idiot. As I mentioned, I haven't made my mind up yet. I wasn't afraid of Les Coeurs who usurped the right to exterminate guests and strongly objected when someone dared to help them out. Of course, being a cat, I naturally pissed on their exclusive rights. To be more precise, I pissed on all the rights. That made me get into small conflicts with Les Coeurs and their queen, the redhead Mab. I wasn't afraid of such conflicts. Just the opposite, I provoked them whenerver I desired. This time, however, I didn't really want it. Still, I settled myself on the branch. If it came to anything I wanted to get her with a bound as I didn't feel like chasing the idiot all around the wood."Never in my life", said the girl with a slightly quivering voice, "I have seen a smiling cat. In this manner."I moved my ear, meaning that didn't suprise me."I have a cat", she announced. "She's called Dina. What's your name?""You're the guest here, my dear lass. You should introduce yourself first.""I'm sorry", she cursyed and let her eyes down. It was a shame, for they were dark and very pretty - for a human. "It wasn't very kind indeed, I should first introduce myself. My name is Alice. Alice Liddell. I'm here because I entered a rabbit hole. I followed the white pink-eyed rabbit in a waistcoat. He had a watch in his pocket.Inca, I thought. Coherent, doesn't spit, no obsidian knife. Still, Inca."Have we been smoking weed, young lady?", I asked politely. "Have we been taking barbituratenees? Or maybe we've got stoned with amphetamine? Ma foi, they start early now, these kids.""I don't understand a word", she nodded her head. "I didn't get a word from what you were saying, cat. Not a wordee. Nor a wordee-dee."She was talking strange and dressed even stranger which I haven't noticed until now. Flared dress, piafore, rounded collar, short puffed sleeves, stockings... Goddamn right, stockings. And thong bootees. Fin de siecle, I mean it. Drugs and alcohol shouldn't be taken into consideration then. Uless of course this was a costume. She could have got to the Land right from a school performance, where she had played Little Miss Muffet sitting on sand along a spider. Or right from a party where juvenile troupe celebrated success of a performance with abundant supply of drugs. The latter was the most probable, I decided after consideration."What have we had, then?", I asked. "What substance let us achieve the altered state of mind? Which preparation had taken us to the never-never land? Or could it be we just drank warm gin and tonic?"Me?", she flushed. "I'm not drinking anything... I mean, just one, one little sip...maybe two...or three... But there was a label on the bottle saying "Drink Me". It couldn't harm me in any way."As if I was listening to Janis Joplin.""Excuse me?""Never mind.""You were supposed to tell me your name.""Chester. At your service.""Chester is the County town of Cheshire", she produly announced. "I learned that in the school recently. You're a Cheshire cat then! And how are you going to serve me? Are you going to do something pleasant for me?"I'm not going to do anything unpleasant", I smiled with a grin finally deciding I'll leave her at Mab's and Les Coeurs' disposal. "Take it as a service. Don't count on more. Goodbye.""Hmmm...", she hesitated. "All right, I'll go... But first... Tell me, what do you do on this tree?""I lay in the County town of Cheshire. Goodbye.""But...I don't know how to get out.""I only meant you should move away", I explained. "As for getting out it's futile, Alice Liddell. There is now way out of here.""I'm sorry?""There is no way out of here, silly. You should've checked the reverse of that bottle label.""It's not true."I wagged my tail which for us, cats, equates shrug."It's not true", she repeated cheekily. "I'll walk around and then return home. I have to. I go to school, I can't miss classes. Besides, mom would miss me. And Dina. Dina is my cat. Did I tell you? Goodbye, Cheshire cat. Would you be so kind and tell me where does this path lead? Who lives there?"Over there", I pointed with a slight movement of head, "lives Archibald Haigha, friends call him Archie. He's more insane than a march hare. That's why we call him March Hare. Over there lives Bertrand Russell Hatta who's as insane as a hatter. That's why we call him Hatter. Both, as you probably guessed, are mad."But I don't want to meet maniacs and madmen. ""We're all mad. I'm mad. You're mad.""Me? I'm not! Why do you say so?""If you wasn't mad", I explained quite bored, "you wouldn't have got here in the first place.""You talk riddles..." she said and her eyes suddenly became larger. "Hey...What's going on? Cheshire cat! Don't disappear! Don't disappear, please!""My dear child," I said gently. "I'm not disappearing, it's just your brain that stops working, it's not even capable of futher deliration. The functions cease. In other words..."I haven't finished. Somehow I didn't have the guts to finish. To tell her she's dying."I can see you again!," she shouted triumphantly. "You're here again. Don't do this any more. Don't disappear so suddenly. It's horrible. It makes me all dizzy.""I know.""I need to go. Goodbye, Cheshire cat.""Farewell, Alice Liddell."

Oh dear, by reading all this I can't wait to get my hands on the books. But amazon takes it time *grinds her teeth*.

Dandelion to old women (mother of bee - keeper):: - Hey! Granny! I would like to make a herbal infusion. Have you got some boiling water?Old women to Dandelion: - Yes honey. Of course! I have. It's there... but a little bit cooled.

Jaskier (Dandelion) to Geralt:- You really wouldn't prefer a normal girl, like Essi? What do serceresses have that Essi doesn't? Age maybe? Little Eye may not be the youngest, but at least she looks for her age. And do you know what Yennefer told me once after a few shots? Heh heh ... She told me that when she did it for the first time with a man it was exactly one year after a two-ridge plough was invented. - You lie, Yennefer hates you like a plague and she would never tell you anything in confidence.- Let it be your way, I confess I lied.- You don't have to. I know you. - You only think you know me. Don't forget, I have a complicated nature.- Jaskier - the witcher sighed as he was getting really sleepy - You are a cynical, bawdy fucker and a lier. And there's nothing, believe me, nothing complicated in that. Good night.- Good night, Geralt.

Just off the top of my head (as I remember it, translated on the fly):Hanging over a high cliff:[G]eralt: Do something! Cast a spell![Y]ennefer: I can't! I'm barely hanging in there![G]: Your legs! Can you do something with your legs?[Y]: Yeah, dangle!

I love this quote. In fact this is how I live my life:"My colossal flaw lies in my undying kindness. I simply must do good deeds. However, I am an intelligent man and a reasonable one, and I know that being kind to everybody is impossible. If I try to be kind to everyone, to the entire world and all who live in it, then it would be the same as a drop of fresh water in a sea, in other words a futile effort. This is why I decided to commit acts of specific kindness, the type that doesn't get wasted in vain. I am kind to myself and my immediate surroundings." - Zoltan Chivay.

I really like a quote in the french translation of "the last Wish" and luckily you can found it in english with Wikipedia! :people," Geralt turned his head, "like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves. When they get blind-drunk, cheat, steal, beat their wives, starve an old woman, when they kill a trapped fox with an axe or riddle the last existing unicorn with arrows, they like to think that the Bane entering cottages at daybreak is more monstrous than they are. They feel better then. They find it easier to live."Just one thing : "the Bane" sound a bit strange, because in the french translation, the monster who enter cottage at daybreak is called "the Moirae" ???So, what does the original in polish really say ?

arzar said:
Just one thing : "the Bane" sound a bit strange, because in the french translation, the monster who enter cottage at daybreak is called "the Moirae"
In polish its "Mora". It means spirit or nightmare, but the word isnt commonly used contemporary. Except, maybe in some country dialects.

I like the one "You wouldn't notice strategy even if it would pop up from the bushes and kick you in the ass." :) quotation from memory, so it may be inaccurate :p

what a pointless thread, you'll only find the best quotes if you actually kno polish. there's a lot of political humor in there and very commonly used slang, some is funny as hell.

The translation isn't perfect.
People like to invent monsters and horrors. Due to this they seem not so ugly and horrible to themselves. Getting drunk to the delirium tremens, deceiving, stealing, whipping their wives with reins, starving an old woman, quartering a fox caught in a chicken coop with axes, showering the last unicorn on Earth with arrows, they like to think, that a ghost walking in the houses at dawn is all the same more horrible and ugly than they are. It relieves their souls. And they find it easier to keep living.Geralt

O, there are many qoutes. Beside those already posted I have some from my own translation:-As long as I’m aware of, all Neheleni Mirrors are divided on polite and broken. -Lesser Evil exist but we can’t choose it for our own. Only Very Great Evil can force us to make that choice. If we like it or not. -You’re an anchronic witcher and I’m a modern one, riding along with spirit of times. That’s why you’ll become unemployed and I’ll prosper. Strigas, wyverns, endriags and werewolfs soon will vanish from this world. But sons of bitches will always exist. -You’ve dropped something, sonny. So pick it up. You can’t litter here. It’s a temple. -I’ve been lucky with my livepath, like very thew of craftsmen are, maybe for exeption for some whores. I’m paid for craft which I truly and honestly like. -And on the head of a team – witcher, sick of remorses, powerlessness and inability to make any decision. Ideed I propose to travel incognito to prevent becoming cause of sensation... – And laugh. -I have no idea. But business, Vimme, must go on! -You know who druid is? It's a sort of mutant, a roam, who walks around the world and bows to the sacred oaks. -And when my cats will return, when they bring their payment, spoils and treasures... Then I will tax those cats!

my best so far:"...if I'm to choose between one evil and another, I prefer not to choose at all"...

some of the quotes seem to be a nonsense without telling what are they reffering to, especially those by Necoho(sorry, mate ;) ) remember that most of people here haven't read any of the books except for the last wish.one of my favourites(rather rough, as i'm writing without checking it in the book): [background: a lad called Jarre comes to Wyzima(or so i recall) to sign to the army for war because he's trying to do his patriotic duty. he's never held a sword in his life, but he has read 'the history' by roederick de nove-something:) basicly, he's an intellectualist and knows nothing about fighting. and he's sure he'll become a knight at least. he got his assignation and goes to where his unit is stationed. there he meets a sergeant, who automaticly tells him to grab his chainmail and pike]-excuse me, but there might have been a misunderstanding...-whaaaaaaaat?!-i'm sorry, sir [afraid] i just wanted to say i got an assignment to the P.F.I.-well, you're here, lad. welcome to the Poor ****in' Infantry... :evil:well, sadly the best of the best are just too long to quote...

I lie. I shouldn't be trusted. I lie all the time. Ha-ha, but now for money!Of course, it's not an easy job. But it doesn't disturb me enough for me to hate it: "Damn, writing again!" No. It's not so. But I like it so much (and I've been working in different firms and establishments for many years) that there's only three and a half metres from my bed to my work station!.. And no one around! No directors!I don't regard writers as people with a special mission. I think that if a hundred of teenagers stands in line to buy a new "Harry Potter" book - it's already good.A. Sapkowski

Top Bottom