Your Fears For the Game - Combined Thread

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeastModeIron;n9687251 said:
Also that people only seem to concentrate on only those two aspects, like there isn't anything else the game has to offer. Especially for the Witcher 3, all the moments in between combat was the best parts of the game for me, sure combat was fun but nothing really changes in the area.
I wish they'd gone into more detail with how the general population (vice the governments) viewed hon-humans, sorceresses, and monsters.
Were most of the common people like Geralt, if they're behaving reasonably live-n-let-live? Or were most people kill-them-all?

They're obviously not rare enough to be treated like negros in northern Europe during the middle ages, a curiosity.

Apparently they are treated like "niggers" in the American south in the 1920's, but not as badly as Jews/Gypsy's in Germany in the late 30's and during WW II.
The occasional lynching or burning at the stake, but as long as they kept a low profile "permitted" to go about their business.

Last edited:
I would prefer it to be a charismatic main character like geralt, it's the only thing I'm afraid of, I do not like to create a character mainly because they are "autistic" and for me it loses immersion

Suhiira;n9686351 said:
That and this very clearly points out the "action" game mentality.
Dialog = boreing.
Combat = good.

True. But there is a case to be made about making dialog more interesting and engaging. Witcher 3 had generally well written and acted dialog, but it was also a drag to the player in that it could took several minutes away from the player by selecting a single line (watching the back and forth movie clip) and once control got redeemed to the player the choice was once again:

1. This is the yellowed-for-convenience line that you are meant to say.
2. This is the grey filler dialog line #1
3. This is the grey filler dialog line #2
4. This is the grey filler dialog line #3
5. This is the grey filler dialog line #4

And simply going through these could take a hell of a lot of time doing nothing. There's no intrigue in picking the lines as there are no skill chekcks, there are no wrong choices beyond the obvious taunts. there is no branching, and you know exactly what pushes things forward. And most of that time you are watching a cartoon reel.

So from that perspective I can understand how an action gamer might get frustrated. He want's to play a game, not watch cartoon people talk for minutes on end.

I'd employ CDPR to look at different methods of doing dialog, where it can be deep and well written (and it should be that), but still maintain that there is gameplay and systemic intrigue there (I might come up with an idea later on if I'm bored enough, but now's not the time - not that it makes any difference, but it might be something to talk about for a couple of posts). That it's not just a cavalcade of movie clips during which the player can rest his wrists from all the twitching in between.

A big thing would be to have skill/stat level specific dialog that DOES NOT even show up as an option unless you have the requisite value.
One thing I never cared for was when such dialog options appear so you know exactly what stats/skills to boost to get them.

It's kind of a weird thing coming from me, but... I really don't have any major fears about it. CPDR is obviously putting MUCH effort into it, and after playing Witcher (obviously flawed in ways, but the good VERY much outweighed bads for me) I am very confident in their ability to blow my expectations out of the water. Both as a company, and the product they create

Suhiira;n9689181 said:
A big thing would be to have skill/stat level specific dialog that DOES NOT even show up as an option unless you have the requisite value.
One thing I never cared for was when such dialog options appear so you know exactly what stats/skills to boost to get them.

Yeah, agreed. I loved it in Fallout 2 how in the first area already you had some options appear or be absent based on your character build.

That's for expression of special knowledge and logic, though, it's different with stuff like persuasion, intimidation and seduction where you attempt to influence someone who might be on the fence on the topic at hand.

Although, now that this is mentioned, I think New Vegas had an interesting idea with skill checks in that it gave a faulty answer in place of the right one if you didn't have enough skill to give the "right" one. It's only real drawbacks were that it showed how much skill you needed, none of it used RNG where it would've served the prupose (e.g. persuading some to pay more), and the checks were always "I WIN" conditions rather than steering the conversations (this last one they corrected in Pillars, and partly the first one too by making visible indicators toggleable...).

I think it could actually be neat if the character was allowed to utter a stupid line in place of a witty one if the skill check didn't pass, and certainly the [Physics 4/8] tags or least the numeric values of it could be set as optional.

I could well do with options not appearing if skill's not met, but I could be more expressive if the character was allowed to sound ignorant on the subject.

Is it a reasonable fear that the soundtrack for CP2077 will be so frickin brilliant that I'll get distracted from playing and just listen?

4meg;n9696291 said:
Is it a reasonable fear that the soundtrack for CP2077 will be so frickin brilliant that I'll get distracted from playing and just listen?
More like so frickin briliant you (and I, ofc) just fail at multiplayer because it's so distracting.

I trust CDPR, for now.

Just give them another decade and you'll have me worried.

SJW/PC propaganda will eventually infiltrate their games. It'll stifle the creative process and corrupt their artistic vision.

This is what'll happen to any big company. It's inevitable. I worry about Cyberpunk 2088.

My fear is that the game will be too big in size and amounts of content. Witcher 3 had this problem already.

And similarly, that it will focus too much on tangential things like multiplayer/online integration.

One of my few complaints for the witcher 3 is that finding better loot was pretty uninspiring. I didn't like the loot scaling and how you remedy that with an open world game I don't know. I hope for Cyberpunk they have more handplaced loot, like how dragon age origins or kotor did it, where you could specific pieces of equipment from merchants or bosses would always drop the same 2-3 pieces and you'd know in multiple playthroughs where everything dropped.

I still would want there to be a random/RNG aspect to the loot, but please, don't do it like witcher 3 and skyrim where crafting/blacksmithing trivializes all other loot you can out in the world. You should still be able to craft some of the best equipment, but not where it makes everything else suck.

immessingaround;n9706511 said:
One of my few complaints for the witcher 3 is that finding better loot was pretty uninspiring. I didn't like the loot scaling and how you remedy that with an open world game I don't know. I hope for Cyberpunk they have more handplaced loot, like how dragon age origins or kotor did it, where you could specific pieces of equipment from merchants or bosses would always drop the same 2-3 pieces and you'd know in multiple playthroughs where everything dropped.

I still would want there to be a random/RNG aspect to the loot, but please, don't do it like witcher 3 and skyrim where crafting/blacksmithing trivializes all other loot you can out in the world. You should still be able to craft some of the best equipment, but not where it makes everything else suck.

AS long as it doesn't turn into a horrendous loot grind, like ESO

Combat will only suck if your focus is solely on combat. CP2077 can't and won't focus on the combat. CP2020 doesn't. If you read cyberpunk stories, yeah combat happens, but it's not the focus. CDPR is trying to provide a framework for a good story in CP2077, which is the focus of the game. A good story.

4meg;n9734241 said:
Combat will only suck if your focus is solely on combat.
"only"? Maybe there are tons of reasons for combat to suck?

joaopinga;n9732361 said:
Combat matters though. I fear combat will suck. If you put combat in a game, it better be good, or not have it at all.

That's the fear of many. On the bad side, Witcher 3 had many combat flaws so Cyberpunk 2077 might have the same problem.

On the good side CDPR is hiring new people like Kyle Rowley to maybe focus more on combat.

4meg;n9734241 said:
CDPR is trying to provide a framework for a good story in CP2077, which is the focus of the game. A good story.

I'd certainly hope the focus is rather on providing excellent RPG gameplay from where good reactive stories can srping out based on how the player decides to build and play his character.

I wouldn't want a game whose designers pretend to be novelists and or movie directors, enough of those around already and most often those "story first" things end up with lousy or mediocre games accompanying their stories.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9734371 said:
"only"? Maybe there are tons of reasons for combat to suck?

True, but I'm hoping for a game that suits my run, duck, and hide style of combat.

kofeiiniturpa;n9734461 said:
I'd certainly hope the focus is rather on providing excellent RPG gameplay from where good reactive stories can srping out based on how the player decides to build and play his character.

I wouldn't want a game whose designers pretend to be novelists and or movie directors, too many of those around already and most often those "story first" things end up with lousy games accompanying their stories.

You're right. I guess I didn't explain myself very well there.

One of my biggest concerns about CP2077 is to be too similar to Witcher 3. While an incredible game, I have to say that sometimes I felt that it went too far with the darkness and it just felt.... pointless, like what's the point of making choises if its bound to suck no matter what? At least that's how I felt when playing it the first time and after a point in the game I just couldn't care about anything.

B171189;n9741351 said:
like what's the point of making choises if its bound to suck no matter what? At least that's how I felt when playing it the first time and after a point in the game I just couldn't care about anything.

Welcome to the forums, I'm one of the mods here. which choices made you feel that way in Witcher 3? Are you talking about Ciri?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom