Your First Cyberpunk Experience?

+
Your First Cyberpunk Experience?

So what introduced you to the vast world of cyberpunk? What was the first thing you saw that was cyberpunk? And what did you think of it?

Oddly enough, my first experience was with Timesplitters 2. Not the whole game of course, but there was one level in particular, set in a dark futuristic city with a bunch of neon lights, where you are chasing some punk girl. The level was called 2019 NeoTokyo. I loved the atmosphere, and it was by far my favorite level.

View attachment 553

View attachment 554

Attachments

• Neotokyo.jpg
    Neotokyo.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 85
  • eGdra3Z2MTI=_o_timesplitters2-07---2019-neo-tokyo.jpg
    eGdra3Z2MTI=_o_timesplitters2-07---2019-neo-tokyo.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 92
I think it was Blade Runner. I just glimpsed scenes of the city scape as a kid and it was amazing. Didn't watch the whole thing till much later, and people will hate me for saying this, but aside from the cinematic design and the acting, it hasn't aged terribly well. It was the Matrix that made me fall in love the genre. Although that movie isn't classic Cyberpunk, really.

Probably my earliest recollection of encountering some of the themes that are part, even loosely, of cyberpunk would be from books like Brave New World and early Science Fiction.
A connection and feel for it being cyberpunk probably clicked in when I saw Blade Runner in the cinema.

So what introduced you to the vast world of cyberpunk? What was the first thing you saw that was cyberpunk? And what did you think of it?

Oddly enough, my first experience was with Timesplitters 2. Not the whole game of course, but there was one level in particular, set in a dark futuristic city with a bunch of neon lights, where you are chasing some punk girl. The level was called 2019 NeoTokyo. I loved the atmosphere, and it was by far my favorite level.

View attachment 286

View attachment 287

How interesting! That was my introduction to the genre too! Was always sad we never got a multi-player version of that level. Since further looking into the genre I have come to love series such as Ghost in the Shell and the Blade Runner film. Still eager to explore the genre more. Currently playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Really enjoying it so far.

View attachment 286

View attachment 287

Holy sh*t! I forgot all about timesplitters! I've got to plug in my PS2 and play that game again.

OT: I was going to say watching the Matrix. Or Bladerunner, but now that you mentioned it, it could have been Timesplitters 2 as well. Anyway, I think I'll go with Bladerunner, I remember watching it with my dad, he has always been a big fan of Cyberpunk, he probably introduced me to the genre.

Bladerunner, when it was new in theaters... I think I was ten at the time...

I had seen movies like Logans Run Soylent Green before, but it wasn't until Bladerunner that I first felt the "click"....

Too long ago.

I think it was dark..I could see the stars...she smelled like strawberries...

Wait. What?

How interesting! That was my introduction to the genre too! Was always sad we never got a multi-player version of that level. Since further looking into the genre I have come to love series such as Ghost in the Shell and the Blade Runner film. Still eager to explore the genre more. Currently playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Really enjoying it so far.

Holy sh*t! I forgot all about timesplitters! I've got to plug in my PS2 and play that game again.

OT: I was going to say watching the Matrix. Or Bladerunner, but now that you mentioned it, it could have been Timesplitters 2 as well. Anyway, I think I'll go with Bladerunner, I remember watching it with my dad, he has always been a big fan of Cyberpunk, he probably introduced me to the genre.

Wow, I'm surprised other people remembered this as well! Good to hear though. Wish they got around to making TS4.

But yeah, I figured Bladerunner would be most peoples answer, for me though, I saw Ghost in the Shell and a bunch of other things before I got around to watching it. But after watching it, I must say I believe it is my favorite movie of all time.

my first impression is from mass effect 2, i love the cityscape of Omega and Illium. and i really really like the character from mass effect 2: Thane Krios. then i look at deus ex human revolution trailer, so i fell in love with adam jensen too. then i watch total recall(new one) and i love the settings. oh yeah also i watched prey 2 trailer, then my soul for the futuristic world as a future assassin is SOLID

Ghost in the Shell on VHS when I was too young to understand its philosophical underpinnings. I've always been attracted to dark things and futuristic technology.

Deus Ex back when I was in first grade. I was used to more simple-minded FPS's back then which resulted in me attacking the robot at the docks thinking that its an enemy only to be filled with bullets. Wasnt until a few years later did I actually start getting the hang of things.

my intro to the genre of Cyberpunk was Blade Runner, my dad had it on VHS in the 80's and would not let us watch it as kids, so after school when he was at work i'd watch it, lol, after that i fell in love with the genre and love it to death, so much so that i have the entire Sprawl trilogy in Hardcover signed by William Gibson himself, theyre one of my most prized possessions...

Shadowrun on the Super Nintendo.

It was unlike anything I had ever seen at the time and it just blew my mind.
It was one of the very few translated-into-swedish type of games which made it easier for me to understand. Even though my knowledge of English was better than anyone else of my age (the only subject at school except mythology, webdesign and 3d modelling that I truely shined in), it helped me understand it better. The world was just so fascinating. Orcs, Trolls, Elves, cyberware, a talking dog. Just wow. Totally blew me away.

If it hadn't been for Shadowrun, I'm not sure if I'd ever read the collection of stories under the name of Cyberpunk nor later Neuromancer. Later on I would play Shadowrun on the Sega Genesis and absolutely loving that as well. In physical copy I own the 3rd Edition of the rulebook which I love to just read through. I hold Shadowrun very dear to me and I am highly looking forward to both Shadowrun Returns and Shadwrun Online, having helped kickstarted Shadowrun Returns even.

First time I saw Ghost in the Shell which was just that one scene with her on the tank, it freaked me out because I didn't know she was a cyborg back at that age. I'm not entirely sure if I saw that scene first or if I played Shadowrun first, I just know that they've both been connected with me.

So yeah, that's my first cyberpunk experience.

Paul Verhoven's Robocop. I was 4 or 5. So around 90, 91. But I really got cyberpunk from the game shadow run on the snes. I got into pnp when I was 13. And that was Starwars from West End Games. We played it like cyberpunk. But then Jeri were not allowed, so we stuck to mercenaries, and criminal roles.

Bladerunner, when it was new in theaters... I think I was ten at the time...

I had seen movies like Logans Run Soylent Green before, but it wasn't until Bladerunner that I first felt the "click"....

Pretty much my experience. But the "clicking" moment was my first scenario I played in with CP 2013. A medtech with a empathy of 2. I loved the bedside manner I gave to the my fellow PCs...

Top Bottom