Your First Cyberpunk Experience?

+
I think it was GITS. Not sure. Matrix can also be it. I saw Blade Runner only later after hearing all the praise for it.

Reading Michio Kaku's " Visions: How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century and Beyond " as well as Ghost in the Shell both Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG.

My first experience with Cyberpunk was....
Rache hitting me upside the head with the core rule book one night and then dragging me off to his friend's house to begins 5 years of Saturday Night Game Nights.

i promptly tried to find my own core rule book but was only able to get a copy of Chrome Book 1...which changed hands between me and Rache several times over those 5 years.

Pretty much my experience. But the "clicking" moment was my first scenario I played in with CP 2013. A medtech with a empathy of 2. I loved the bedside manner I gave to the my fellow PCs...

After Bladerunner, the seed lay dormant in me for years. occasionally it would get some water and soil,.... In 86 I got into anime, I had been exposed to it in brief measured doses before hand, as with Cyberpunk, not knowing what it actually was... Some of my earliest memories were of watching Speed Racer and Battle Of The Planets/G-Force (Gatchaman)... in the late 70's I saw Galaxy Express 999 (to this day it is one of the coolest and most stylish concepts ever) and in the early 80's HBO and USA used to show poorly dubbed anime movies and HBO ran a series called Thunderbirds 2081, loosely inspired by the old Thunderbirds are go.

Then in 1985 Robotech started airing, and HBO was showing Warriros of the Wind (a horribly dubbed and edited version of Nausica). After wandering for a year, not knowing what I was looking for exactly, I met a friend who introduced me to the wider world of anime. In early 88, I went to my first comic book convention and when I came home I had in my possession bootlegged copies of Akira, Bubblegum Crisis, Fist Of The North Star, the old Appleseed OVA, Grey Digital Target and a few other none cyberpunk animes.... I the seed was sprouting... but I was still wandering a bit.

I had gotten the Basic DnD red box when I was 10, but never had the cance to really play until my cousin invited me to join his group when I was 11. The experience was pretty dissapointing. For all the talk of being whoever you wanted to be and having control over your character, I couldn't play a guiy who was both a fighter and a thief, which meant I couldn't play Conan, which was kind of the entire point of wanting to play for my 11 year old self. The situation soured me so much that I wouldn't actually play an rpg again till the day after I graduated high school. It was weird, because my parents would buy me RPG books, I had Top Secret, all the Robotech books from palladium, a ton of Marvel and DC books... But I just regarded them as groovy information texts, that sometimes came with groovy dice..

Then the day after graduation, my friend, who had been attending the KC Art institute invited me to come play with his group. He kind of had to convince me, but we spent all night making up a DnD character. When we showed up, we didn't play dnd, we played this new game I had seen ads in the back of animag for but new nothing about... Cyberpunk

And that was all she wrote... the idea went from seed to full on garden instantly, the light shone bright above my head as the choir of digital angels dang in my ear.

PnP CP2020 sessions.
The same.
One of my first WTF moments was when I pulled Uzi on some boosters and the GM asked about firemode, how many bullets. To my astonishment I found out you have to buy bullets too XD. So I took 3 to the head for the team (I used to be an edge runner too, then I took a bullet to the knee - lol).

Then was Ghost in the shell I think, smuggled on a VHS tape, copied off some strange original with a time tracer... :D
EDIT:
Nope, Akira was before that, how could I forget?

My first was the Silent Mobius manga

the setting resonated with me quite a bit more than the girl with a demon sword and the magic stuff so I of course moved on to appleseed and GITS. My first moving pictures experience was the Max Headroom TV show

2013 PnP RPG back in the early 90's

And Gibson
And Spinrad
And Akira, Ghost in the Shell
And Bladerunner, Hardware

My first experience with cyberpunk was during the early 90´s with books like "Virtual Light" by William Gibson, the comic, "Tank Girl" and various films like "Akira", "Mad Max" (Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome) "Escape from New York" and of course "Bladerunner".

In Virtual Light I just loved the main character, Chevette Washington and the idea of an off-grid living bike messanger (during the 90´s it seemed kind of cool and on trend to work as one). The same goes for the Tank Girl-comic, I love her tank and gun lovin-attitude and great sence of personal style.

In Mad Max I enjoyed the crazy tribalism, the "Ayatolla of Rock n rolla" and his band of "merry men" in scrap-built rides. In Escape from New York it was all about Snake Plissken trying to get out of that city prison. (A whole city as a prison, imagine the crime-level.)

And in Bladerunner I loved almost everything from the story, the music to the film-noir-theme look, except for the overall objectified female characters. And if this game can leave that same old boring road with the female characters being victims, having to get saved by a knight in shining armour. I think it would be great.

Same as a few people Blade Runner, Akira, Escape From New york, Johnny Mnemonic, Gattaca, Terminator, The Matrix, Strange days ect. not all my first experience but mostly these got me into the genre, can't really remember my first tbh.

My first Cyberpunk experience was kind of like my first kiss, my first girlfriend and it was during one of the best times in my life. The year was 1990. The country: Germany and I was in the service. (My profile pic is also a pic of me during basic training, btw.). A guy in my company introduced me to the PNP game Cyberpunk 2020. And my first character? A Nomad outrider named "Iron Mike" Greerson. It was a beautiful, terrible rpg experience I fell in love with and will never forget. Many years have passed and I still love Cyberpunk as much today as the first time I played. Thanks CDPR for making this old "Punker's" dreams come true.

I got sued once by a big corporation, they accused me of defamation, all I said was that said corporation "sued people for unnecessary reasons." They won. It was my first cyberpunk experience.

I actualy do not remember when I first encountered Cyberpunk... at best I can only guess... and that guess would most likely be that I probably at some point saw Blade Runner... or some other Cyberpunk'ish type of a movie somewhere from probably 1985 or later (I was born in 1979).

The first actual memory of me thinking that something was Cyberpunk though, was the first time I saw the music video for Billy Idols song "Shock to the System" on MTV, which happend somewhere in 1993 or 1994 (I went out the day after and bought the album on cd which the song came from... still my favorit Billy Idol album to this day :D ). But, what I do recall thinking at the time of seeing the music video was that "this seems to partly be like Blade Runner, and other movies like that"... so I must have seen Blade Runner, and other more punk oriented Cyberpunk stuff befor then... because that can be the only reason as to why I even thought that "this seems very Cyberpunk" when I saw the music video, since chances are I must have heard or seen that word "cyberpunk" befor seeing the music video.

I have to say though... I don't actually rate Cyberpunk neither higher or lower then most other sci-fi stuff... I am someone who is just in general a sci-fi fan, who don't care all to much what specific kind of sci-fi something is (with some few exceptions of course). I do tend to prefer when my sci-fi takes place in the future... and even if I do highly enjoy Farscape (it is after all a very importent game series to me, because those where the games which started my final transformation into becoming a PC gamer back in the early 00's), I do tend to prefer when my sci-fi is not compleatly a post apocalyptic world... preferably it should not be more post apocalyptic then for example Judge Dredd, or like the Mike Pondsmith Cyberpunk franchise... Fallout and Mad Max are in general a bit more post apocalyptic sci-fi then I would prefer, I still like them though. :)

Last edited:
I didn't consider it cyberpunk at the time, but when I look back on it it was reading The Duelling Machine by Ben Bova, followed by Nova by Samuel R. Delany. Both contain elements that we would consider cyberpunk today, but not then (70s).

My first recognizable cyberpunk experience would be Blade Runner, but even in 1982 it wouldn't have been called that.

Top Bottom