Your Most Memorable Boss Fight

+
Your Most Memorable Boss Fight

I couldn't find a similiar thread, if there has even existed one but if so, I apologize.

As the title says, who / what is your personal most memorable boss fight? Mine is the Colossus' from Shadow of the Colossus.

The game contained 16 enemies. Each one was a boss battle lasted for me personaly at least10 minutes, and combined puzzle, platform, and action elements to bring the beast down. I could choose one favourite, since they are were special and unique in their own way, and each of the bosses felt memoarble to me. But if I really had to choose one of them, it would be the last. Simply b/c of it's gigantic hight.

-Mother brain from Metroid. Pretty damn riveting for the time.

-Demon thing at the end of Castelvania. "Oh! I killed Dracu....shit."

-Operator in TW2 is the best boss fight in the game, but Draug and the dragon were more spectacular. With the dragon flapping those huge batwings as I wait for it on top of the tower - it felt reminiscent of a fairy tale. As far as big monsters in games go, they got the size right and mixed up tactics pretty good as the dragon doesn't just try to blast you with fire.

-Mecha shrimp in Hard Reset. This game has the most consistent boss fights I've encountered yet. They're all good, and they all feel epic.

Assassin's Creed 2: Most stupid boss fight ever. Don't want to spoil anything, but it was pretty dumb.

Dragon Age: Origins: That Dragon was very hard and epic. I made a screenshot! :)

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559791921190537923/BDDD1053CC86656C3B1E0B1613E910EA8F3B3EBC/

I think it is Pokemon Colosseum's Mt. Battle as you had to first defeat 99 opponents with increasing difficulty and then the boss which was the hardest. You couldn't change the team during the mountain and my team wasn't that good against the boss's kyogre - my only chance to win was to get the kyogre freeze by ice beam which took several try outs. But finally I made it and obtained Ho-oh! Geez how much trouble I had to do for that pokemon...

For me, a memorable boss fight lies beyond gameplay. For me, it's the feel, the emotions and the excitement that make a boss fight great.

With that in mind, fighting Letho in Flotsam was very memorable. Though the gameplay side of it is nothing spectacular (though I did like how Letho uses signs and grenades), it was a moment with a lot of build up and excitement, coupled with mystery. And the way it ended was great, adding to the confrontation between the wolf and the viper.

But my favorite boss fight of all time is the end boss in Jade Empire,
Master Li. In terms of gameplay it was awesome as you were fighting a mirror image, using diverse tactics (offensive style, support style, twin blades, several types of magic) and is the only character other than yourself who can "slow time" by heightening his reflexes (forcing you to do the same quickly and preserve your focus lest he beats the crap out of you). This moment received a lot of build up prior and the emotions are pretty heavy, as it is to be expected from a battle between master and student. All of that in addition to an epic soundtrack.

I have to admit I am not a big fan of boss battles because they just scream "you are playing a videogame!" to me, although there are a few games that get it right. But these were most memorable to me:

- Metal Gear Solid 2, MG RAY fight. It is the end of the game and they make you use all you've learned to fight these gigantic, beautifully designed beasts. And they just keep coming, heightening the feeling of desperation and will to persevere to fight, something you should be feeling at that point. It's brilliant.

- Metal Gear Solid 3, The Sorrow. It is and isn't a fight, you can honestly take it however you like, and the way you played up to that point significantly changes how it happens. It is the single thing a game has ever done to me to make me change the way I play games.

For those who don't know, but would like to:
The "fight" is nothing but a long, long walk down a stream. If you used non-lethal ways to take out enemies, you will encounter no-one. If you killed them, you will encounter a ghost of every single enemy, as they scream and wail and try to pull you towards them, to hurt you back. It's quite unnerving. To top it all off, the "fight" ends when you find Sorrow's bones. Then you die. No matter what you do, you die, and the 'game over' screen comes up. There is, of course, a way out of that screen, but it's such a WTF moment that many restart the fight thinking they did something wrong.

Yeah, I think MGS has some of the most amazing boss fights, especially the 3rd one. Not all of them feel 'epic', but those that do are well worth it.

Severance - The vampire/necromancer thing at Karum, the burning skeleton king in the tombs of Ephyra and Dal Gurak in his high tower of sorcery.

Soul Reaver 2 the last few combats of the game, because of their narrative significance and shocking resolution.

The Brood Mother from Origins, not very good mechanically again but very strong in a narrative sense.

There are several aspects to what makes a boss fight memorable to me, but personally; the more freedom I have as a player, the level of complexity and emotion(s) the boss manages to bring out off, are one of the key elements that tends to make the fight(s) very memorable.

I have many favorites, but if I had to choose one, it would be without a doubt Manfred von Karma from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

This boss confrontation is not a physical one, but not less deadly for it. The "fight" is not exchanged by physical blows, but rather two opponents who are simply exchanging words in a intense life or death battle, so to speak.

The confrontation (like the majority of them Ace Attorney games) is all about using logic and evidence to prove your client’s innocence, but tends to become more difficult when the opposing prosecutor more or less cheats his way to victory, which is exactly the case with Von Karma. He has a perfect conviction record to keep, and he’s not above faking evidence or manipulating witnesses to get what he wants. In true series fashion, you are forced to use some very round-about logic in order to point out the logical fallacies in Von Karma’s case.

When I was watching Wright and Von Karma verbally attack and counter-attack each other, it was by far the most intense "boss fight" I've experienced in a game, and my DS nearly slipped out of my hands because I was sweating from all the tension. By the time I finally managed to back Von Karma into a corner he couldn't lie himself out of, I was exhausted but overjoyed of my victory over him.

Guest 2091327

Somebody simply has to mention the bloody Beast in the first Witcher game. It can be such a massive pain the bonghole.

My most memorable boss fight may well be the final fight in Mafia (1), also due to all the emotions involved at getting to that point in the game. Was pretty tough too, and boy did I get whacked down a few times from a certain surprise....

Fantastic game altogether, one of my all-time favourites. I'm usually not a massive gamer, but have played through that game 4-5 times - even more than the first Witcher. Excellent story, good music, well-done cutscenes, and a very emotional finale.

The butcher from Diablo 1, It was at night and i was really scared when i heard: Haa, fresh meat!
Al Mualim from assasins creed 1, it was very mysterious.
The draugr from Tw2 although now i found the way to defeat him in 10 seconds.
Also Diablo from Diablo 2, those who played it will understand.

Illidan Stormrage for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMa3Gcm8VQ&feature=relmfu

A bit of history of WoW: TBC ( the first expansion ) for me. In TBC I decided to play a paladin and after getting to level 20 I decided that I wanted to tank, now at the time there was a lot of distrust against paladin tanks, especially in TBC, but I managed to "prove" myself skilled enough that my class didn't matter.

In the end for me getting to tank Illidan was an accomplishment of over one year of hard raiding work in WoW, add to that the fact he was a very good tanking challenge made it the most memorable boss fight I have ever faced.

Ruby weapon from FFVII.

Back then I had the best magics, abilities and summons available for my characters.
It took 2 1/2 hours beat it and several failed attempts.

I personally mostly dislike boss fights,just becouse most of them take away the game mechanics and create a new temporary mechanic that isn't really immpresive,and some of them are just too long,too hard and too boring and not epic.But there are some really memorable and enjoable boss fights

DAO:All 3 of the Dragons and the broodmother really stick out as the most memorable boss fights in DAO becouse they take excellent gameplay mechanics of DAO and makes you use them and strategize and pause a lot to think about strategy,amazing boss fights.

DA2:Some of the boss battles really sucked,but most of them were really,good,hard,juicy and satifaing,especially the deep roads rock thingy,MoTA bosses were all AMAZINGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,Legacy main boss was also great.

TW:All bosses are memorable becouse of their story,but i personally disliked the gameplay in boss battles.

TW2:I love the Kayran,becouse it is hard yet unique and fun.

AC:Rober'Disable or something was that was a very satisfying boss fight

AC2:The carnival assassination,well assasination is a boss fight...kind of...

the other AC didn't have any memorable bosses gameplay-wise.

Kingdoms of Amalur:I remember a some big ass monster you had to hit with spears,it wasn't balanced or hard but it was fun as heck

Skyrim:All of the Dragon fights were OK

Warcraft 3:Defeating Mal'Ganis on the mision where you had to kill civilians,it felt so satisfing becouse i faild 30 times before i did it lol.

That are some of my favourite bosses

EDIT:How can i forget ME ME 2 and ME3 bosses were AMAZING!

In terms of difficulty, the first time I played DA2, I went into a High Dragon fight totally unprepared, and ended up with a War of Attrition that took over an hour, excluding phone breaks, pee break and even a lunch break. But it still wasn't a good fight as there was nothing to it except "hit the enemey and stay alive". I agree with IceEpicX about the DA:O ones though. The need for a planned strategy made them good fights.

My favourite in terms of fitting the game is the boss fight in DX:HR's "Missing Link" DLC, where they'd really learned their lesson from the abysmal boss fights in the main game, and had written a final battle that actually worked from a story viewpoint instead of just being a game mechanic.

dragonbird said:
My favourite in terms of fitting the game is the boss fight in DX:HR's "Missing Link" DLC, where they'd really learned their lesson from the abysmal boss fights in the main game, and had written a final battle that actually worked from a story viewpoint instead of just being a game mechanic.
You should see the ones in DX1. It has the best boss mechanic imo, because you can take the relevant people out way before the game finally puts you up against them (and I think it's possible to avoid killing some altogether). And they aren't overpowered like 'standard' bosses. TML boss was pretty close to that.

Is a difficult choise, but...

One of my favorite boss battles was Vayne Novus on Final Fantasy XII. I was around around level 65 with all characters and the final battle was very difficult. The characters was dying constantly, I could only keep one character alive all the time, and Vayne never died. I was thinking - ''just a little more, just a little more'' - all time. So, when already have used almost all my itens and MP and was beginning to think that I would die, I finally managed to wipe out his HP. That was a great battle.

Another fight was the battle against the dragon on TW2 in the Professional. I was wearing the Light Leather Armor (I always use her the entire game, even on Dark Mode), and I had to use all to win - evasions, dagers, potions, bombs and much technique - , and I really enjoyed the challenge. Also, I ever liked of dragons, and fight against that one was awesome.

Any boss in Undying and Shadow of Colossus.
Brayko in Alpha Protocol, it actually saddens me no one mentioned this till now:/
Dracolich in Castlevania Lords of Shadow.

Mr.Freeze in Batman Arkham City.
Most of the MGS bosses.
Hades in GoW3.

Top Bottom