+

Your opinion about mini-map on HUD

• Very useful, good idea

Votes: 92 70.8%
  • Disturbing, wish to switch it off

Votes: 38 29.2%

• Total voters
Your opinion about mini-map on HUD

All of recent in-game screenshots and videos show us the mini-map in the top-right corner of the screen. We can see alive and dead enemies and some additional objects on the radar. Example:

Question to the fans: do you like this element of interface? Or it spoils the immersion for you and makes the orientation in the big open world too easy (as it does for me, honestly)?

Question to the CDPR staff: will the mini-map presence be optional?

Jupiter_on_Mars

All of recent in-game screenshots and videos show us the mini-map in the top-right corner of the screen. We can see alive and dead enemies and some additional objects on the radar. Example:

Question to the fans: do you like this element of interface? Or it spoils the immersion for you and makes the orientation in the big open world too easy (as it does for me, honestly)?

Question to the CDPR staff: will the mini-map presence be optional?

Never did and still do not like it. Never used it for navigation. It can go die in the elephant's graveyard for all I care. Additionally, the entire UI, which looks like TW2's version 2.0, is off, but I guess that topic deserves a thread of its own.

Last edited:
If the world is as big as they claim, I think we will need one. Would not be suprised if it can be turned off though

EDIT: I didn't read the OP properly so now I've made a post rambling about the UI. I think the Mini-Map is ok, just to large like everything else. Can we turn this into a general HUD conversation thread so I don't look like a moron please? :sad:

I thought the combat looked fine, but the HUD is atrocious.

First things first, everything is about twice as large as it needs to be. You could easily just scale the UI down 50% & it'd instantly be vastly improved.

Secondly remove all the words & extensions to Icons around the place. I don't need the HUD to say, "CROSSBOW" or "SWALLOW'S POTION", I can see I've got a crossbow equipped through the icon & as long as potions each have their own bottle 'look', I'll know what Potions I have equipped. The lighting in the game is fantastic, I can tell it's dusk or day etc, the Icon more than suffices.

Thirdly the Witcher Medallion being 3D again would be neat, but I think it's evident that's not going to happen, but damn CDPR it would be cool.

I'm thinking none of this will happen & heck, it's not like it's going to stop me from playing the game & I'll most likely not even care when I am playing but it still sticks out like a sore thumb. So all I ask CDPR is please, please allow us (At least in the PC Version) to be able to toggle bits of the UI off. Otherwise I'll just have to wait for Mods :S

Was a common complaint about TW2's UI that it wasn't large enough? Or that it didn't display enough information? I wouldn't have thought so, so I just really don't understand why it's so damn fat & obnoxious now unless it's being done purely for Console related reasons.

Last edited:
The mini-map was really important in W2 IMO because the environments were designed like mazes. it's probably not vital in an open world though but could still be useful some times eg. cities/caves. Hopefully we'll be able to toggle it on/off

As for the witcher medallion I think that in the final version it will be 3D and vibrate. It's still an early build of the game and that's really a minor thing to add. And it's nothing that THAT crowd at the MS conference would even notice.

It's meh and that's problem.I hope it's placeholder.Also I agree that medalion should have different modes like reacts to magic or beasts.

I barely glance at it when playing TW1 or TW2 - at most I consult the big map when confused about certain objectives and directions, but the games' respective maps never feel large and intricate enough to make you feel completely lost. If TW3 is as huge and open as they claim, a mini-map could definitely come in handy, but I'm somewhat indifferent to the idea. What is true, though, is that when you don't have a map which you easily can consult at all times, immersion benefits - I don't mind getting a bit lost at times - and developers should instead focus on designing areas (big and small) in a clever enough way to make it feel like you can find your way around if you put your mind to it. Rather than relying on a mini-map (or any map), I mean.

Last edited:
I think a minimap in general is ok. But I don't want so many things to be visible there like the position of enemies and stuff.

Well it's fine, but I'd like to have an option to turn off the HUD completely or make it dynamic, like if you are unsheathing your sword or if you are getting attacked and the HUD turns on.

Last edited:
I agree about the witcher medallion! Return to what Witcher 1 had.

Regarding minimap it's neat I guess, but I will probably check the real map instead, I usually do in other games. An on/off toggle would be sweet, as it promotes player choice:)victory: ).

Top Bottom